Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Lorini is right, though, that certain types of games aren't often discussed here that do have a lot of information available on BGG. The heaviest games tend to be mentioned only briefly, which I think has to do with the fact that we only have one general discussion board game thread. That we usually aren't discussing trash-tier games is great, but there's still more chat about relatively lightweight games than there is about Arkwright. (I know there was a conversation about that a little bit ago, but it is rare.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

BGG can give you better discussions on more obscure games through sheer force of numbers. We've got maybe 20 people regularly posting in this thread so we won't have the breadth of experience that the whole of BGG has. I'm also going to assume BGG skews older so you have more established and moneyed people who can take the risk on new games.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lorini posted:

We'll just have to disagree. I find it very useful. I can get what I need from it. Yes it's UI could be improved. But that doesn't make it suck. I guess if you aren't buying or playing many boardgames then yeah there's better places to hangout but it works well for me.

This. The store analogy is not an obsolete market, but a yarn store that has crammed everything in because some people want absolutely al kinds of yarn and the store owners fee like just having it will make people come. It works, but it would be really nice if someone quadrupled the size, made aisles and organised everything on shelves by sensible metrics and maybe cut away some of the sheep bios for the common wools.

Also, yeah, it's the place where you can get goats wool from Fiji or whatever the yarn equivalent of opinions on obscure games is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BonHair posted:

This. The store analogy is not an obsolete market, but a yarn store that has crammed everything in because some people want absolutely al kinds of yarn and the store owners fee like just having it will make people come. It works, but it would be really nice if someone quadrupled the size, made aisles and organised everything on shelves by sensible metrics and maybe cut away some of the sheep bios for the common wools.

Also, yeah, it's the place where you can get goats wool from Fiji or whatever the yarn equivalent of opinions on obscure games is.

There are so many yarn shops like this. Just saying.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You know what, gently caress it: if some UK guy picks up Illegal and Archipelago: War and Peace for me and ships it to the USA I'll cover all the cost and pay you 15 Euros or pounds or w/e for your time. Sick of trying to find that poo poo online - one or the other is out everywhere I look, or the place won't ship to the States. PM me if interested.

Not sure if they ship to the states but Meeplemart and 401games both have it in stock.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

silvergoose posted:

Hobbyists and hobby shop owners are all the same the world over. There was a few years ago a knitting store next door to an RPG store in my home town and they were aside from stock practically identical; overweight store keeper squatting amongst disordered piles of merchandise.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Exactly why I picked that specific shop type. It goes for some board game stores too though, or comic books or whatever nerd thing. Hell, even music stores (instruments and records alike) do it. But it doesn't work for casual mainstreamers and beginners. Just like BGG is terribe for new gamers. See the guy who bought Twilight Struggle after loving Forbidden Island "because it was #1 on BGG"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

EBag posted:

Not sure if they ship to the states but Meeplemart and 401games both have it in stock.

Thank you for trying to help, but I also need the board game Illegal, which is only available in the UK/Europe. Ultimately cheaper to combine the two (it isn't with the extra 15 bucks I'm spending - it's the same price, but I'd rather give it to somebody on here for helping me rather than waste it on two shipping companies)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BonHair posted:

Exactly why I picked that specific shop type. It goes for some board game stores too though, or comic books or whatever nerd thing. Hell, even music stores (instruments and records alike) do it. But it doesn't work for casual mainstreamers and beginners. Just like BGG is terribe for new gamers. See the guy who bought Twilight Struggle after loving Forbidden Island "because it was #1 on BGG"

Yup. I was clarifying for anyone who didn't know that you were being very deliberate, so many goddamn yarn shops like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BonHair posted:

That was a good purchase decision on their end, but I find it funny that anyone takes the top 10 lists so seriously when I recall them being manipulated every now and then by the drama that occurs in BGG from time to time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Come to think of it, a good model for a game store would be a head shop. Exciting, easy to use stuff up front and complicated things with lots of moving pieces lining the walls behind the counter. Addictive things people buy every time they come in there by the register. Scrupulously clean and located right next to a bar preferably.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think we do a far better job of recommending games for people than BGG does. Their top 10 games are nearly useless. We on the other hand do better analysis and framing for the situation requested.

And we spend a lot of time doing that as well, which is why we don't discuss Arkwright or Indonesia for example even though they are excellent games for the right people. They just aren't something you'd recommend for partners getting into the hobby or someone hoping to move her family past Taboo or many of the other situations we see here frequently.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a nephew who really likes Magic (mostly assembling decks of super over powered rares), Dominion and Lost Legends. I think that, in addition to the strategy, he likes making super powered combos. I'm buying a birthday present, and looking for something he may enjoy for 30 to 50 dollars. A deck builder would be my first instinct, but other stuff may work. Something that sits at least 3 would also be nice.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Level99.com games would seem right up his alley but I think they are only for two. Anyone confirm?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sector_corrector posted:

I have a nephew who really likes Magic (mostly assembling decks of super over powered rares), Dominion and Lost Legends. I think that, in addition to the strategy, he likes making super powered combos. I'm buying a birthday present, and looking for something he may enjoy for 30 to 50 dollars. A deck builder would be my first instinct, but other stuff may work. Something that sits at least 3 would also be nice.

Seasons is good for that and I enjoy it, but others have issues with just the base set (the expansions dilute the card pool so that you're not seeing multiples of the same card and you see the really good cards less often). Sounds like it would be up his alley, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There are multiplayer settings for Level99 games but they tend to be quite poor compared to the 2 player options. Plus, none of the Level 99 game library is about cards affecting the other cards you play.

Options:
You could go with Puzzle Strike which is a competitive, head to head combo-based deckbuilder that uses pogs instead of cards. It plays about as fast as Dominion.

Mage Knight plays for much longer but hits a sweet spot at 3. There's combo-based deck-building elements to it and the whole game is about the puzzle of optimizing a hand you've drawn while moving across a fantasy map.

Seasons is a game about drafting a set of cards that plays well with between 2 and 4 players which is all about getting the most out of a few cards picked at the beginning of the game.
edit: and you can probably pick it up + an expansion for 50 dollars.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

Does he have all of dominion? If not, and he really likes Dominion, I'd say get him more Dominion. If you want something new though, I'd suggest Race For The Galaxy. It's a tableau building card game that plays great with all numbers, and has tons of cool combos, particularly as you expand it. It might actually be a little under your price range though - you could go ahead and get an expansion as well (I'd say the first arc would be appealing to him if he likes combos, so The Gathering Storm). Or, get Race and another cheap game.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I guess a good worker placement game could work too, though it would have to be less punishing and more about the best engine. Tzolk'in perhaps? It would have to let him build up something and preferably use it in an awesome way in the last turn instead of having it be all "my dudes are gonna die fuckfuckfuck" like Agricola, and I'm not sure what the best option there is. Caverna is another possibility, but I have not personally tried it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

BonHair posted:

I guess a good worker placement game could work too, though it would have to be less punishing and more about the best engine. Tzolk'in perhaps? It would have to let him build up something and preferably use it in an awesome way in the last turn instead of having it be all "my dudes are gonna die fuckfuckfuck" like Agricola, and I'm not sure what the best option there is. Caverna is another possibility, but I have not personally tried it.

Tzolk'in's feeding mechanic isn't much less stressful, to be fair. There are viable strategies to just take the point loss, however...

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'd say Tzolk'in and Caverna's feeding mechanics are both quite a bit less stressful then Agricola. Tzolk'in gives you a lot more time before it kicks in and there's a constant flow of food in and out, so there's no last-minute scramble to figure out how to get food in the last few moves. Caverna's double-actions and direct conversion of animals into food means there are a ton of efficient food sources by the time you get to the first harvest.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

I think we do a far better job of recommending games for people than BGG does. Their top 10 games are nearly useless. We on the other hand do better analysis and framing for the situation requested.

Yeah, thanks to this thread I bought:

- Hanabi
- Bohnanza
- Keyflower
- Cuba Libre
- Fire in the Lake
- Tash Kalar
- Love Letter
- Puerto Rico

I played mostly ameritrash games like Doom, WoW or Descent 1st and so were my friends. But I just wanted to try something new and I got my ideas here.

I got most of the above mentionned games on the table and all of them were hits.

So yeah, thanks.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking through the suggestions, Puzzle Strike seems like a winner. He also likes Cheeky Monkey, so I'm sure he'll get a kick out of the fact that you're drawing chips from a bag. Thanks!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just looking at my own collection, Primordial Soup, especially with the expansion, might also work for him. Though it does kind of punish you for ridiculous combos.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I know I'm late to the party, but I see Starlit Citadel's content as perfectly pleasant in-depth video versions of the descriptive blurbs you would see on the product page of website that sells board games. It has information value, sure, but at the end of the day, their goal is to make you buy something.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyd51lvu3xw

Looks like someone at a certain ad agency really likes Mageknight.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I've read a million board game review sites and bgg blogs and this forum is by far the most useful source for actual reviews of games, largely because there's a bunch of people commenting and we're not afraid to poo poo on a game.

Every the I find a new site I think I like it turns out they gave Xia or Star Realms a glowing review or something :(

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Really captures the boredom of watching someone spend 5 minutes trying out how to accomplish nothing with their lovely hand.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure what Joan Baez has to do with Starlit Citadel, but if she can't sell you on anything at all she chooses you're listening wrong.

It was a faulty attempt to suggest that the one Starlit Citadel girl is in similar appearance to a young Joan Baez

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bubble-T posted:

I've read a million board game review sites and bgg blogs and this forum is by far the most useful source for actual reviews of games, largely because there's a bunch of people commenting and we're not afraid to poo poo on a game.

Every the I find a new site I think I like it turns out they gave Xia or Star Realms a glowing review or something :(

I can understand why the internet likes Xia, since they'll wade through any crappy mechanics they come across if it lets them sort of live out their space trader fantasies. Star Realms is the hype game that puzzles me. It's alright. I play the app every so often since it's free but to see so much praise heaped upon a cheap little market row deck builder is weird. I guess people want really bad to not play Dominion, and even that I can sort of understand.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gimnbo posted:

I can understand why the internet likes Xia, since they'll wade through any crappy mechanics they come across if it lets them sort of live out their space trader fantasies. Star Realms is the hype game that puzzles me. It's alright. I play the app every so often since it's free but to see so much praise heaped upon a cheap little market row deck builder is weird. I guess people want really bad to not play Dominion, and even that I can sort of understand.

I think Star Realms got by because it was cheap and had a better theme than Dominion (I realize the latter is not very hard). Although I could not tell you the difference between Star Realms and Ascension. Both are pretty okay as time wasters in various app forms, though, although this sorta makes me wonder why there isn't even a halfway decent Dominion app that isn't Androminion.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

NobleKnight games has a copy of the War & Peace expansion for Archipelago, duders. I just received a hard to find LotR LCG expansion from them, so they're legit if not cheap

I still think Joel Eddy of Drive Thru Review is somewhat underrated, in the category of "Dude talking about board games in front of an Ikea shelved wall of games". He does good, edited overviews of the components and rules, and then gets into his often nuanced take on the game and why he liked it or not. It's not at the level of professional journalism or something, but it's pretty good for this amateur type of thing.

here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcPprZwOAIA

There's some stuff I disagree with him on though, he didn't like Archipelago for example.

In addition to SU&SD, Rahdo, and the Starlit Citadel top games of the year videos, I also will admit to liking reddit's game of the week feature. Often you get a 100+ posts on a specific game and it gets pretty nuanced.

I want to like Watch It Played, but I feel like he goes too fast for our attention span and we lose track of the rules and then it becomes painful to remain focused.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 3, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you everyone for your help! The matter has been taken care of.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Actually, Rocket Jump's pretty legit about board game taste. In Video Game High School, there were lots of cute little bits of people casually playing Dominion and Galaxy Trucker throughout.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like that copy of War & Peace at noble knight just sold out so hope one of you goons snatched it

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Stop talking about Archipelago because it's my most wanted game but getting friends to play dissuades me from pulling the trigger

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

GrandpaPants posted:

I think Star Realms got by because it was cheap and had a better theme than Dominion (I realize the latter is not very hard). Although I could not tell you the difference between Star Realms and Ascension. Both are pretty okay as time wasters in various app forms, though, although this sorta makes me wonder why there isn't even a halfway decent Dominion app that isn't Androminion.

Price and time investment definitely color my expectations of games, which is why I would rate something like Love Letter above something like Kevin Wilson's Sid Meier's Civilization despite there arguably being more "game" in the latter.

I can see the right theme also increasing the threshold of bullshit one can put up with, as I see Dead of Winter up on BGG at rank 31 overall despite just being a worse and more arbitrary BSG.*

*I've never played Dead of Winter, that's just the impression I get around here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Stop talking about Archipelago because it's my most wanted game but getting friends to play dissuades me from pulling the trigger

If it helps, I had a pretty garbage game of it last week. I hadn't played in over a year so teaching was a bit touch and go, one of the players had notable AP (which resulted in other people pulling out phones and you all know how that goes), and I was the Sympathizer but everyone put a lot more weight on keeping the rebellion track down than I've ever seen, like they were terrified if it got within 15 spots. Game just sorta dragged. Still a wonderful game in general but urgh I doubt I'll get that group to try again anytime soon.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I've played it a couple times now and it's squarely in the Chaos in the Old World, BSG, Space Alert category where it's great when I imagine playing it with 3-4 more fozzy fosbourne clones but rarely works out that way

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Interestingly enough, I had a friend who was an absolute blast to play BSG with who was a petulant, horrible baby when we played Archipelago. Some people really do read the "everybody wins, use VP to determine the Grand Winner" as "everyone, in fact, loses - except for the Grand Winner"

Also if anyone is looking for War and Peace there are a couple of banged up copies for 50% off at Miniature Market in St. Louis. They aren't on the website and they won't ship them, so you have to go down there yourself and get them (or know someone who will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I'm pretty much a newbie to board gaming - the only game I'm super familiar with is Carcassonne. I'd like to branch out, but I'm afraid of dropping $40++ on games that I might never figure out properly. I've done Brett Spiel Welt and boardgamearena.com has been recommended to me, but I dunno how to go from a PDF of the physical-copy rules to playing online against someone. I'm specifically interested in Tash-Kalar. I guess my question is, is there a trick to this?