Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Justin_Brett posted:

So question, how intensive is this game? I have a modest video card but I'm pretty sure it goes up to Open GL 3.0. The store though, recommends 3.2 or higher - would that be a huge problem?

Fairly sure you can play this on a potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Firstborn posted:

Fairly sure you can play this on a potato.

You'd be surprised. I put this on a fairly old machine and it ran just fine, but whenever it zoomed in for a trap or goodies in the dungeon, or for every attack in combat, it slowed down considerably for some reason.

In other news, I submit Deviant Tastes for the most freaky quirk because your dude has to be into some seriously weird poo poo to be banned from a brothel.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How much is this actually going to cost? I can't seem to find it anywhere

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ellbent posted:

In other news, I submit Deviant Tastes for the most freaky quirk because your dude has to be into some seriously weird poo poo to be banned from a brothel.

I once got a potential Occultist recruit who had both Deviant Tastes *and* syphilis. Note: Syphilis does not actually ban you from the brothel

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

The Duggler posted:

How much is this actually going to cost? I can't seem to find it anywhere

$20 - apparently both early access and on full release.

Edit: I am a little bummed that the higher tier 'exclusive class' has been walked back to a 'variant' and probably would've backed for half as much if that'd been clear during the Kickstarter. Not that I don't really dig the game but the exclusive class thing was the carrot on the stick that got me to go in for a lot more than the sticker price. Ahh well.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 3, 2015

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I remember there was discussion of color palettes on the Kickstarter; I hope those don't take too long to implement because it'd be nice to visually differentiate heroes with the same class.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

GaistHeidegger posted:

$20 early access, $15 on full release.
Devs posted that the full release version will not be cheaper than the early access (barring sales) so might as well get the early access version. The game-only tier was cheaper on Kickstarter to get basic backers.

Edit: Devs are pretty active answering questions on twitter.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ellbent posted:

You'd be surprised. I put this on a fairly old machine and it ran just fine, but whenever it zoomed in for a trap or goodies in the dungeon, or for every attack in combat, it slowed down considerably for some reason.

Hm. Well, I'm sure there's gonna be some way of finding out soon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think I figured out the secret to the confessional booth. Sure a flask of holy water is worth like 50 stress reduction, but if you pass the roll you get a free quirk removed and I'm almost positive that it's based on the number of quirks you have. So the less quirks your character has the better the chance to be absolved of a sin and lose a quirk. It's possible character class influences it as well and crusader/vestal has a better roll.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
red hook, push the steam button I want to buy you.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

red hook, push the steam button I want to buy you.

They did, and it didn't work. Apparently having problems and are waiting for valve support according to their twitter.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Gaaaaaaaaaaaabe!

Really looking forward to this. Sounds like a hugely successful kickstarter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sounds like it might be another hour or so. :)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I was looking at the steam page when the time was right about up, and the homemade looking 'coming soon' sign, was changed to an official looking 'coming soon' sign, then 10 minutes later, it was changed back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

There's also a mysterious like "Lord Class" or something, that might just be straight-up Wizard guy or something.

The 'lord class' is exclusive to backers who backed at the 'lord' level. Which isn't me, and definitely isn't anybody who didn't back it.

Jade Star posted:

Dont have this yet, but watched some gameplay previews. How long are the missions? The two videos I watched of the devs playing it had dungeons of 5 rooms, not counting the start room. So it looked like really, really short missions. Though brutal. So longer than that didn't seem possible with out people being dead/stressed or higher level.

The starting quests are all short. They get higher level and longer as you go. It takes a long time to build up.

GaistHeidegger posted:

$20 - apparently both early access and on full release.

Edit: I am a little bummed that the higher tier 'exclusive class' has been walked back to a 'variant' and probably would've backed for half as much if that'd been clear during the Kickstarter. Not that I don't really dig the game but the exclusive class thing was the carrot on the stick that got me to go in for a lot more than the sticker price. Ahh well.

On the bright side now the rest of us don't have to feel like we're super missing out, but yeah that's kinda bullshit.

IMO they should make another class and give it to the 'lord' tier free, and make it DLC for everybody else. I'd happily chip in another $5-10 for more classes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 3, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The 'lord class' is exclusive to backers who backed at the 'lord' level. Which isn't me, and definitely isn't anybody who didn't back it.

The starting quests are all short. They get higher level and longer as you go. It takes a long time to build up.

On the bright side now the rest of us don't have to feel like we're super missing out, but yeah that's kinda bullshit.

IMO they should make another class and give it to the 'lord' tier free, and make it DLC for everybody else. I'd happily chip in another $5-10 for more classes.

The one lord backer on kickstarter just gets to design a class that every body gets (Which is why the picture in the op just has ?) so we could very well get a wizard dude. The only ks exclusive is a variant on the merchant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If the merchant has an ability to use party gold to bribe enemies into leaving you alone he'll be on any number of my teams.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrManiac posted:

The one lord backer on kickstarter just gets to design a class that every body gets (Which is why the picture in the op just has ?) so we could very well get a wizard dude. The only ks exclusive is a variant on the merchant.

Oh, I stand corrected. That's cool.

Lotish posted:

If the merchant has an ability to use party gold to bribe enemies into leaving you alone he'll be on any number of my teams.

I'm also hoping he has some way to shower one of your heroes with money to make them feel better. :homebrew:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Do you think they'll eventually release the "exclusive" content as DLC or an update? I hate missing out on stuff like extra characters or items because I'm a poor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, I stand corrected. That's cool.

I'm also hoping he has some way to shower one of your heroes with money to make them feel better. :homebrew:

There was some discussion of the Merchant in the kickstarter streams with the devs. Last I heard, the plan was that he would be a weak character in combat, but if you brought him along, you'd get higher gold rewards. Also he'd have a blunderbuss attack, but every time he fired it's strong attack, it would cost some gold and supplies, as he just shovelled everything down the barrel.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
:woop: It's up!

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.
Game is out, yo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Demiurge4 posted:

I think I figured out the secret to the confessional booth. Sure a flask of holy water is worth like 50 stress reduction, but if you pass the roll you get a free quirk removed and I'm almost positive that it's based on the number of quirks you have. So the less quirks your character has the better the chance to be absolved of a sin and lose a quirk. It's possible character class influences it as well and crusader/vestal has a better roll.

Sometimes I just get stress reduction from the holy water + confession booth when I reaaally want to remove a negative quirk.

Has anyone had any luck with burning books? There's bookcases and stacks of books, but both times I've watched my friend try to burn books it's just resulted in a 80+ stress gain with the message something like, "You tried to get rid of this knowledge, now suffer". Is it similar for the bookcases? Is there a good outcome here?

Occultist can turn pretty Wizard-y. You give him the Daemon Pull, Abyssal Artillery, and then maybe the Stun or Stab, and the Debuff. He works really good in the third slot.

E: Going buy it for myself!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Also it's $20 :negative:

For those of you who had the Kickstarter access, how worth it is it if I'm a big fan of roguelikes and XCOM?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I kind of wish there was an option to toggle the gender on characters, because I'd like a male hellion or a female leper or highwayman. I like to make analogues of my friend's dnd characters, for example, but like my wife's signature character would be a female highwayman and my best friend's would be a male vestal.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:woop:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

For those of you who had the Kickstarter access, how worth it is it if I'm a big fan of roguelikes and XCOM?

So worth it, amigo. I backed it at twice what you'd be paying and it's worth it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Notorious QIG posted:

The battle system is more like Legends of Grimrock or even a JRPG. It's turn-based, and positioning matters for what abilities you can use, but it's not a SRPG.
It is like X-Com in the sense that you sort of get your own narrative from being attached to your guys, it can be frustrating and downright obtuse at the beginning, and dudes can permanently die.

By the way, the game owns.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Firstborn posted:

The battle system is more like Legends of Grimrock or even a JRPG. It's turn-based, and positioning matters for what abilities you can use, but it's not a SRPG.
It is like X-Com in the sense that you sort of get your own narrative from being attached to your guys, it can be frustrating and downright obtuse at the beginning, and dudes can permanently die.

By the way, the game owns.

Yeah I've been watching streams so I get at least the basics of the combat. Permadeath squad-based combat is such my poo poo though that I think it's gonna be tough to not buy this.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Notorious QIG posted:

I can say I spent 90+ bucks on the KS and feel like it was well worth it. I'd say it's worth at least 20, even in its current state. Hell, the art and music alone are phenomenal.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just wanted to say that using x2 Crusader, both with the Holy Lance ability and alternating... just destroys whatever annoying support enemies they end up bringing. It feels so good to kill the shotgun bandits, or skeleton courtiers, or those cthulu priests without breaking a sweat or fooling with their positioning.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

It's great.

The game is totally different from xcom but I still have the same feelings as when I play it. Like 'oh poo poo that last mission went really bad and I only have these scrubs to work with' or the whole run going south fast with people freaking out because you made a bad decision.

If I had a complaint it's that I wish they went more roguelike with the equipment. You can't collect weapons and Armor which sucks and the trinkets could be more interesting.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel the same way about the equipment and stuff. It'd be nice to find weapons and armor even if they had the same questionable and weird rolls as some of the trinkets I got.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Yeah, they definitely need to work on the trinkets. Like I have a Highwayman only one that gives +Stun and Blight chance, -resist.

Highwaymen don't have any stun or blight skills.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

They don't even know if the variant is the merchant yet, it could be any class I believe at this point. Nothing is decided yet

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I feel the same way about the equipment and stuff. It'd be nice to find weapons and armor even if they had the same questionable and weird rolls as some of the trinkets I got.

Trinkets would be way cooler if they copied diablo and had the rare stuff do unique things specifically since most of it is class locked. Like class x's skill y now affects 3 targets or skill z now heals 10% of damage afflicted. As of now they are useful but really boring thus not fun to collect.

If it's a balance issue just make them disappear on the death of a character and permanent if you give them to someone (maybe you can pay someone to remove them). I can even think of a bunch of cool ways the traits could interact with them.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found an absolutely amazing ancestral trinket that gives 16% stress resitance and -12% deaths door resistance. Also the sniper ring is loving amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nathyrra posted:

:siren: Game is out, yo. :siren:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Most of my characters don't use trinkets, but a few are worth equipping. The ones that increase your offensive stats at over 75 light while tanking them at under 25 are amazing, since you should always have a nearly full light bar and can unequip them if things get truly dire. I also like trinkets that increase survivability at the expense of damage/accuracy for the Vestal, since she doesn't do much attacking anyways. And lastly, I've got something on my Hellion that gives her massive boosts, but decreases her death's door resistance, which is perfectly fine if you play it safe and never let her reach death's door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vargs posted:

Most of my characters don't use trinkets, but a few are worth equipping. The ones that increase your offensive stats at over 75 light while tanking them at under 25 are amazing, since you should always have a nearly full light bar and can unequip them if things get truly dire. I also like trinkets that increase survivability at the expense of damage/accuracy for the Vestal, since she doesn't do much attacking anyways. And lastly, I've got something on my Hellion that gives her massive boosts, but decreases her death's door resistance, which is perfectly fine if you play it safe and never let her reach death's door.

Yeah another thing to look for are trinkets that reduce stats people don't have. Like I think there are some Vestal trinkets that decrease Dodge, but Vestals have 0 Dodge anyway, so no problem.