Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Aw gently caress I want to buy this game but I'm hesitating hardcore at paying 20 bucks for it, especially at an early access stage. Sales have spoiled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Welp the game is live and no backer key yet...

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland posted:

Welp the game is live and no backer key yet...

Retrieve all your humble store keys. Should be listed there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Innerguard posted:

Oh if people backed the game at the lower levels they get their keys now?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Innerguard posted:

i backed it in kickstarter.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh if people backed the game at the lower levels they get their keys now?
my understanding of kickstarter backing was that when the game went live i'd get one.

Its live!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Akarshi posted:

Aw gently caress I want to buy this game but I'm hesitating hardcore at paying 20 bucks for it, especially at an early access stage. Sales have spoiled me.

It's super playable, man. There's some missing classes and I think a dungeon or two, but there is a lot of content here.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Has anyone beat the "put the heroes in the pot" fight? Seems like there is no way to actually damage the hag - as soon as the pot with a hero in it gets destroyed a new one appears with full health and the very next move another hero goes back in and the pot is the only thing that can be targeted. I've never done more than 1 damage to the empty pot and it has 28 hitpoints.

Is this bugged?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Unzip and Attack posted:

Has anyone beat the "put the heroes in the pot" fight? Seems like there is no way to actually damage the hag - as soon as the pot with a hero in it gets destroyed a new one appears with full health and the very next move another hero goes back in and the pot is the only thing that can be targeted. I've never done more than 1 damage to the empty pot and it has 28 hitpoints.

Is this bugged?

You are only supposed to attack the pot when someone is thrown in to free them (and the pot has less HP when someone's in there). Use third and fourth-position attacks to attack the hag directly.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Is there any strategy better than having a stunner and healer rake the last mob in fight for a full health party? Cause I've only done like five full dungeon sweeps, but have yet to lose a guy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is this bugged?

You have to have attacks that can hit the back row. Hellion's Iron Swan, Crusader's Holy Lance, etc. She actually doesn't have many hit points, so the trick is letting your potted guys boil and nuking her down with long range attacks.

GloriousDemon posted:

Is there any strategy better than having a stunner and healer rake the last mob in fight for a full health party? Cause I've only done like five full dungeon sweeps, but have yet to lose a guy.

That strategy is the best for low levels yeah. It gets harder to pull off at higher levels when monsters have more stun resistance.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Al Borland posted:

i backed it in kickstarter.

my understanding of kickstarter backing was that when the game went live i'd get one.

Its live!

If you didn't back at Wanderer tier or higher, you'll get your key when the game releases fully, probably around mid-year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LizardBeam posted:

If you didn't back at Wanderer tier or higher, you'll get your key when the game releases fully, probably around mid-year.

That strikes me as kinda stupid if that's how they're doing it, since me (as someone who didn't KS it at all) just bought it but someone who already did buy it (in essence) can't play?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

LizardBeam posted:

wat...

So you're saying if i paid 5 dollars more a year ago I'd get the key?

Thats kinda insulting...

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
I could be wrong, it could have been the 3 day head start for Wanderer+. If not, yeah, it seems like a weird/bad decision. Either way, it should be showing up via Humble Bundle. Just try to retrieve your keys and see if it pops up.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

LizardBeam posted:

I could be wrong, it could have been the 3 day head start for Wanderer+. If not, yeah, it seems like a weird/bad decision. Either way, it should be showing up via Humble Bundle. Just try to retrieve your keys and see if it pops up.

Bad decision and what do you mean humble bundle poo poo?
I don't understand. I don't have kickstarter linked to humble bundle

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Al Borland posted:

It's tied to your email account. If you used the same email for both, you can just sign into Humble and in your library, I think, there should be an option to retrieve keys or something. If you're having trouble, there's this link: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender which should resend it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

If you can verify that you have a key please let me know, I have a couple other friends who are in the same boat -- backed on kickstarter and not sure if they can play now or not.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Al Borland posted:

You don't have to. A lot of KS games use it as a way to distribute keys. If you're owed a key, you get it by asking humble bundle for all keys under the e-mail you Kickstarted with.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

LizardBeam posted:

It's tied to your email account. If you used the same email for both, you can just sign into Humble and in your library, I think, there should be an option to retrieve keys or something. If you're having trouble, there's this link: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender which should resend it.

thanks I claimed it I still don't see a key.

Honestly this is a bad decision if they're selling it but not giving it to about 3200 people. Its insulting. I guess my definition of release and theirs is different. Back in my day released meant you could buy it.

Now we have all this early access bullshit where you can buy the game and its not technically released even though anyone can get it? :confused:

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Oh, and a head's up to anyone who backed high enough to get the soundtrack: that's available through Humble now, too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

thanks I claimed it I still don't see a key.

Honestly this is a bad decision if they're selling it but not giving it to about 3200 people. Its insulting. I guess my definition of release and theirs is different. Back in my day released meant you could buy it.

Now we have all this early access bullshit where you can buy the game and its not technically released even though anyone can get it? :confused:

I'd actually suggest complaining to the Developers via twitter or something similar. They're pretty responsive and may step up and help you guys.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd actually suggest complaining to the Developers via twitter or something similar. They're pretty responsive and may step up and help you guys.

PLan on politely messaging them that its rather upsetting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I thought the Kickstarter was pretty straightforward on whether or not you'd get the game at Early Access or on release.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

S.J. posted:

I thought the Kickstarter was pretty straightforward on whether or not you'd get the game at Early Access or on release.

I looked at the early acces page it didn't have a "pay 20 dollars to get it" until today.
To me thats early access.

WHen you can physically buy the game that's release.

E:

The fact that some schmuck that didnt even know about the game until today can go out and buy it while i have to wait half a year is spit in my eye.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

I looked at the early acces page it didn't have a "pay 20 dollars to get it" until today.
To me thats early access.

WHen you can physically buy the game that's release.

It isn't, actually. Early Access is basically just paid beta testing, not the actual release, regardless of how well polished the beta is. The 20 dollar and above tiers in the Kickstarter explicitly say you get Early Access, the 15 dollar tier does not.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

S.J. posted:

It isn't, actually. Early Access is basically just paid beta testing, not the actual release. The 20 dollar and above tiers in the Kickstarter explicitly say you get Early Access, the 15 dollar tier does not.

I'm sorry I guess I"m used to a time where bullshit like paying to play for beta didn't exist. Had I known they were going to do that maybe I would have shelled out five more dollars instead of feeling jilted. like 3,200 other people.

Y know its funny cause its like what am I even getitng out of it extra? Jack poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah. the $15 tier was labelled full release, while $20/$25 tier was listed as early access. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

I think a lot of people banked on early access being like most early access games (unfinished features, unpolished) and not what they released.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

S.J. posted:

It isn't, actually. Early Access is basically just paid beta testing, not the actual release. The 20 dollar and above tiers in the Kickstarter explicitly say you get Early Access, the 15 dollar tier does not.

beta access is the one reason I went for the $20 tier rather than the $15 one. It's still better than most KS that lock the beta behind $50+ tiers.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I wonder if leveling up stun attacks reduces effective stun resistance . I hope it does, because otherwise, it looks everything outside of straight damage dealing is going to be useless in the last dungeons. It seems like every monster is getting 50% or higher resistance on everything on veteran quests.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

Yeah. the $15 tier was labelled full release, while $20/$25 tier was listed as early access. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

I think a lot of people banked on early access being like most early access games (unfinished features, unpolished) and not what they released.

Yeah that's the thing, this is like the most polished Early Access ever.

That said maybe there should be a way for people who backed then to like only pay an additional $5 to start now or something, up their pledges.

It is kinda crap that if you backed then you have to buy a new EA copy to play now.

clockworkjoe posted:

I wonder if leveling up stun attacks reduces effective stun resistance . I hope it does, because otherwise, it looks everything outside of straight damage dealing is going to be useless in the last dungeons. It seems like every monster is getting 50% or higher resistance on everything on veteran quests.

I think you're also expected to start using trinkets to specialize -- if you want to stun you have to build for it etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

I'm sorry I guess I"m used to a time where bullshit like paying to play for beta didn't exist. Had I known they were going to do that maybe I would have shelled out five more dollars instead of feeling jilted. like 3,200 other people.

You did know they were going to do that. Or at least, they made it known to you. Early Access is right there on the kickstarter reward tiers. You should probably do more research in the future when purchasing games well before they're released. But like someone said, definitely hit the Devs up to see if you can pay the difference and get an EA key.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

S.J. posted:

You did know they were going to do that. Or at least, they made it known to you. Early Access is right there on the kickstarter reward tiers. You should probably do more research in the future when purchasing games well before they're released.

Except there are multiple contradictions in their own updates, so can you even consider that accurate? :v:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

S.J. posted:

You did know they were going to do that. Or at least, they made it known to you. Early Access is right there on the kickstarter reward tiers. You should probably do more research in the future when purchasing games well before they're released.

Well it also says january is when I should get my key. Its february now.

Also early access for BACKERS. IT never said mass public.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

Early Access is a specific thing that allows people to buy a game before it's finished on Steam, not 'earlier than everyone else.' Early Access is by definition available to the public.

Kyrosiris posted:

Except there are multiple contradictions in their own updates, so can you even consider that accurate? :v:

Oh? I didn't realize that. Although I doubt Al was watching their updates.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Al Borland posted:

What's available right now is half the game, though, so they haven't cheated you. That said I get the frustration but I went for the $20 tier specifically to get access to the game asap.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

Yeah, make your case politely on the Steam forums or via Twitter -- those are the avenues the devs read most. I don't know if they'll respond quickl;y but you have a pretty good chance of getting a response I'd say.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

What's available right now is half the game, though, so they haven't cheated you. That said I get the frustration but I went for the $20 tier specifically to get access to the game asap.

Yeah, like I said, ask the devs if you can pay for the difference.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Demiurge4 posted:

Well i can get from a business stance why they're doing it, but yeah I do feel cheated and a little jilted. An explanation from them would be appreciated. I have yet to hear back after asking about it from them about an hour ago.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You paid less money than everyone else to get the game as a reward for backing it, dunno why you'd feel cheated :shrug: If you didn't know what any of this stuff entailed when the Kickstarter was happening, why did you spend money on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

S.J. posted:

Yeah, like I said, ask the devs if you can pay for the difference.

They've actually just said that they can do that, yeah.

quote:

Nomad was for people *not interested in an early access experience. backersupport at redhookgames dot com and we can manually
...force a tier upgrade

I feel like dogpiling on people who expected EA to be Typical Early Access Garbage instead of, you know, a good polished game that isn't fully finished/debugged is pretty poor form, though, not gonna lie.