Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mexican wife=flameout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dianne Feinstein posted:

Jeb Bush looks like he’s running for president. So now we know what the Bush family means by 'no child left behind.'

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:eyepop:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like it's obvious to everyone but Chris Christie that his poo poo blew up a year ago and ever since then he's dead as a doornail.

I suppose I envision his determination to press on as being a kind of mindless momentum. Ever since he got elected as Governor in a big important Blue state, his whole career trajectory has been towards the presidency. Somehow he still sees himself as President and has not allowed the carnage the past year has inflicted on his public image to register.

It seems like it will only finally register when he comes in 8th place in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and can't get any donors to return his calls anymore, and the chair he's sitting in gets repossessed out from under him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

happyhippy posted:

Vaccinations unfairly help the parasites of society, like children under work age, and pensioners after work age.

Oh my god. You're right.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Wastid posted:

Just wiki'd this out of curiosity but the law it references seems pretty clear you have to be in it to make money, and these two cool dudes don't look like they are trying to profit off the site. Is there some other way to get the domain?

I wiki'd it too, I was surprised that it was illegal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can we hire a tuba player to follow Christie around as he makes the stump speech circuit?

Asking for a friend thanks.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Maybe this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBIW1a9mfs

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Goddrat, just this once I'll look over Feinstein's vices.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Goddrat, just this once I'll look over Feinstein's vices.

Same, that was a sensible chuckle right there.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Does Christie actually even want to run for President? I got from Double Down: Game Change 2012 that he never really warmed to the idea of running or being president.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Honestly sometimes I find myself feeling bizarrely sympathetic towards Huckabee because he seems to have some sort of bizarre religious Stockholm syndrome. I mean sure it manifests itself in completely repugnant actions and statements that at this point he should be absolutely be publicly vilified for but the guy seems genuinely hosed up in the head. He's like the closet cases that want to make gay people miserable because they didn't have fun out and proud adventures except he wants to do it with regressive social views on absolutely everything.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Foo posted:

Does Christie actually even want to run for President? I got from Double Down: Game Change 2012 that he never really warmed to the idea of running or being president.

Maybe he'll run for president but only compete in the London, Nevada, Macao, Dubai and Jerusalem primaries. All expenses paid by the campaign, or course.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Foo posted:

He seems like one of those guys who has wanted to be President since he was a lil' kid, yeah. Whether he decides it is still worth it once he takes a long look at how hard it'll be to fight through the Jebs and Walkers and Kochs and corruption allegations and foaming-at-the-mouth Tea Party morons is another matter.

Maybe he'll just keep putting it off until he dies of some fat people ailment.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Nessus posted:

As for the Taliban thing: ISIL, apparently, is actually entirely on board with vaccination programs.

ISIL seems to have a longer memory of people dying in horrible ways in North Americans for some reason.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

I feel like it's obvious to everyone but Chris Christie that his poo poo blew up a year ago and ever since then he's dead as a doornail.

I suppose I envision his determination to press on as being a kind of mindless momentum. Ever since he got elected as Governor in a big important Blue state, his whole career trajectory has been towards the presidency. Somehow he still sees himself as President and has not allowed the carnage the past year has inflicted on his public image to register.

It seems like it will only finally register when he comes in 8th place in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and can't get any donors to return his calls anymore, and the chair he's sitting in gets repossessed out from under him.

Well, he has the mass. What's his velocity?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mooyashi posted:

I hope in the last hundred days Barack and/or Michelle come out in favor of regular bathing, chewing with your mouth closed and breathing through your nostrils

A friend of mine has said in the past that if Obama went on TV and told people that drinking bleach is bad and you shouldn't do it we'd see a lot fewer Republican voters in the next election.

I'm starting to think he might be right :psyduck:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Has any news station/HBO comedy show acting as a news station found and interviewed a Kenyan birther conspiracy agitator that now vehemently supports Cruz for president?

Because I am really looking forward to seeing lots of those interviews but fear a dark matter comet disaster will keep me from ever seeing them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ToxicFrog posted:

A friend of mine has said in the past that if Obama went on TV and told people that drinking bleach is bad and you shouldn't do it we'd see a lot fewer Republican voters in the next election.

I'm starting to think he might be right :psyduck:

It'd be better if he said Drano was toxic because if I recall the typical jug of laundry bleach is dilute enough to be non-lethal.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Esplanade posted:

Well, he has the mass. What's his velocity?

:golfclap:

I have to agree about Christie, but it's not exactly an uncommon thing for a primary candidate to run not because they think they'd be a good President, but because they're somehow owed the position. Romney being an obvious example, but there are others stretching way back to the beginning of my political awareness.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

oldswitcheroo posted:

Everything Huck says sounds just like your local Southern Baptist preacher. Huck preached in Arkansas for decades. He had to come up with a new sermon every single week, and if he was like any baptist preacher I've ever seen, what he does is recycle the same poo poo but set the pop culture references to 3 years behind current popularity so the congregation will actually understand it. It doesn't matter what pop culture IS, whatever it is, it is ungodly and from the pulpit you will hear about how it is reflective of a world covered in sin, that you should reject and save yourself from. A woman in tight clothing? She's a whore, or at the most 'generous', causing 'unpure' thoughts and exploiting herself and the men around her. Anyone at all in your pop culture talking about or having sex outside of marriage or homosexuality (not sure if Huck knows that Beyonce is married, but this goes way beyond just them), they're undermining marriage. Hey, does that pop culture you consume include anyone using any mind altering substance, you're promoting drugs to kids.

For those of you who know about Southern Baptist theology, you know how important the idea of a sin cursed world is, and it is important that the line between what is godly and not godly stay firm. Not that that causes the congregation to stop interacting with pop culture, it just gives them a sense of superiority about the whole thing. Like when Disney started having a gay weekend, my preschool, which was in a SBC Church, stopped showing any Disney movies, though most people were just frustrated, didn't care, and certainly didn't keep up the boycott in everything, but every Disney product in the school from then on was double checked for "ungodly" influence, for years after that.

To me this sounds like Huck thinks his sermons from early 1990's Arkansas can double as stump speeches.

Three Olives posted:

Honestly sometimes I find myself feeling bizarrely sympathetic towards Huckabee because he seems to have some sort of bizarre religious Stockholm syndrome. I mean sure it manifests itself in completely repugnant actions and statements that at this point he should be absolutely be publicly vilified for but the guy seems genuinely hosed up in the head. He's like the closet cases that want to make gay people miserable because they didn't have fun out and proud adventures except he wants to do it with regressive social views on absolutely everything.

If you haven't experienced Southern Christian Fundamentalism, you can't really get a deep understanding of how completely the churches infiltrate themselves into your life. Stockholm Syndrome sounds hyperbolic, but is probably the best psychological classification for a person who's grown up in a really seriously evangelical congregation. We imagine a normal, dutiful churchgoer as a person who attends mass every Sunday. Southern churches build an entire social life for their congregants, to the extent that our school couldn't plan any school activities on Wednesday, because all the churches had "fellowship" activities every Wednesday that weren't... mandatory, but certainly looked bad on you if you didn't attend.

They run multiple sports leagues, have a replacement Christian festival for EVERY holiday, especially Halloween, and for adults, and especially kids, it very effectively makes them part of an enclave, an in-group, a group of people you see ALLLL the time. Add in the "fear" that Christianity is under attack, and it's no surprise how often the pastors engage in extensive political sermons about our sin-cursed world, using abortion and gays as flaming, thunderous scapegoats.

These people, in my opinion, have little chance of thinking their way out of their prejudices, if they've been raised in it since youth. I firmly believe that Huckabee is genuinely uncomfortably with swearing, dancing, drinking, and a lot of other totally legal things that some 60% of America does, and in his heart, wishes everyone in America were as "moral" as he is. Huckabee isn't hosed up; he's Southern Baptist, and that is a respected classification for half of America.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Are there any Seven Deadly Sins conservatives aren't doing on a literal daily basis? Greed and pride seem to have been turned into virtues in the movement.

Envy. Mainly cause they've already hoarded everything.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Fulchrum posted:

Envy. Mainly cause they've already hoarded everything.

Nope. Even after that they look down in some weird form of envy and anger at a cartoon character who doesn't have to work at all but has an Escalade and eats steak and lobster.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly having a hard time processing this, is the Republican party honestly walking towards being anti-vacination? This can not be a real thing that is happening can it? I'm having a slow stroke, right?

They know they're losing the demographics war, and their base has made it clear being less hateful is not an option, so they need a new crop of single issue morons like the gun crowd, who can be counted on to always pull the lever and ignore facts. Anti-vaxxers fit that to a tee.

I don't see why people are so shocked. Its the Republican position to deny the science on everything else, why do you think this is too much?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
I tell you, it's a drat shame they merged vainglory into pride rather than leaving it as its own deadly sin, particularly with Cruz in the Senate.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fulchrum posted:

They know they're losing the demographics war, and their base has made it clear being less hateful is not an option, so they need a new crop of single issue morons like the gun crowd, who can be counted on to always pull the lever and ignore facts. Anti-vaxxers fit that to a tee.

I don't see why people are so shocked. Its the Republican position to deny the science on everything else, why do you think this is too much?

I suspect the HPV vaccine might have something to do with this too. Opposing HPV vaccines is a standard Republican position at this point and if you believe parents should be able to prevent their daughter from having an HPV vaccination, then it follows that they should be able to prevent other vaccinations as well.

It's a whole knot of issues, of course.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
IMHO I think there's also some envy in this set towards blacks and black culture. America in general loves an underdog and plucky racist or put-upon white guy no longer falls into that category for most people. Not to mention the current make up of the NBA and NFL.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly having a hard time processing this, is the Republican party honestly walking towards being anti-vacination? This can not be a real thing that is happening can it? I'm having a slow stroke, right?

crank magnetism in its most malignant form

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Being mad that someone somewhere might be having fun is a cornerstone of Southern Baptist theology.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Intel&Sebastian posted:

IMHO I think there's also some envy in this set towards blacks and black culture. America in general loves an underdog and plucky racist or put-upon white guy no longer falls into that category for most people. Not to mention the current make up of the NBA and NFL.

They've still got Tom Brady. Way to not use Beast Mode, Seattle.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've never used the trigger warning thing un ironically but this is about as close as I will come

:smith:

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Quidam Viator posted:

't... mandatory, but certainly looked bad on you if you didn't attend.

I wanna hear some stories about what they do to lapsed joiners

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pegged Lamb posted:

Passive aggressive public offers to pray for you, offers of scriptural lessons for your clear issues, possible damage to your social life outside the church, and attempts to help your children find a proper relationship with Christ without you. Remember that while you're going to fellowship your kids are all hanging out with their friends at youth group, or in children's activities. You can always just go to the next church down the road, lord knows at least half the churches in town formed when a large enough group of people had enough of the godless ways(argued about money or got but hurt over something stupid) of a previous church.

Of course then you have start over as the new family and re-level your busybody cleric character.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh my god. You're right.

I've noticed that a lot of my religious online friends were and are super into zombie apocalypse stuff/survivalist stuff. Big surprise: they're against vaccinations and government and have never had an income below 50k.

Combine that with an unhealthy love of the world ending any day now via return of the Messiah...

E: Kill the television.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Armani posted:

I've noticed that a lot of my religious online friends were and are super into zombie apocalypse stuff/survivalist stuff. Big surprise: they're against vaccinations and government and have never had an income below 50k.

Combine that with an unhealthy love of the world ending any day now via return of the Messiah...

E: Kill the television.

This thread and others often go into detail on the very real and deliberate connection between zombie media and RW bullshit. The ones I always remember are stories of gun convention pamphlets that simply substitute the word "zombie" for UN Bluehat footsoldiers in their eerily detailed plans for guerilla warfare and an episode of some A&E Survivalist bunker show where a dad kept substituting the term "zombies" with a wink while he taught his kids how to shoot people coming out of the inner city for their sweet sweet cornflakes.

It's more extensive than that but it pretty much ruined everything zombie related for me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pegged Lamb posted:

I have read of family members attempting to split couples up through incredible lies and slander told of the non-religious or very often, simply the less-religious half of the couple. They make it clear that you are either with them or against them, and that includes if you are even in the wrong splinter of the same type of Christianity.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yep, the go to passage to harp on is 2nd Corinthians 6:14: “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”

Commonly deployed against mixed religion marriages but open enough to apply to friendships, working relationships, etc.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The future Republican nominee for President of the United States.

quote:

Paul, an ophthalmologist, said, “I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines.”

quote:

“That’s not what I said. I said I’ve heard of people who’ve had vaccines and they see a temporal association and they believe that.”
Ironic: Today I am getting my booster vaccine. Wonder how the liberal media will misreport this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This thread and others often go into detail on the very real and deliberate connection between zombie media and RW bullshit. The ones I always remember are stories of gun convention pamphlets that simply substitute the word "zombie" for UN Bluehat footsoldiers in their eerily detailed plans for guerilla warfare and an episode of some A&E Survivalist bunker show where a dad kept substituting the term "zombies" with a wink while he taught his kids how to shoot people coming out of the inner city for their sweet sweet cornflakes.

It's more extensive than that but it pretty much ruined everything zombie related for me.

Eh I always get the read that "zombie" is more a code word for "urban ferals" (i.e. BLACKS BLACKS BLACKS) than anything else.

• Locked thread