Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phanatic posted:

Every generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances for a few hundred years now.

TV was pretty much just radio with moving pictures as far as advertising was concerned, billboards are mostly the same as they've ever been (except some of those also have moving pictures now!) and newspapers haven't changed all that much for several centuries. VCRs and DVDs gave people a greater ability to curate their media experience (hence unskippable ads on DVDs) but the internet was a genuine gamechanger for the mass media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

We're also not buying into the idealized 1950's fantasy that a lot of Gen Xers at first rebelled against, and then quickly tried to get for themselves -- at least not the same way.
Neither were gen x'ers when they were 20-somethings.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

TV was pretty much just radio with moving pictures as far as advertising was concerned

quote:

newspapers haven't changed all that much for several centuries.
lol if you actually believe these

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe the problem is that the current generation of old white executives are dumber and less adaptable than the generations of old white executives who came before them.

drat elders these days. Back in my grandpa's day, the old folks knew how to market to the twentysomethings.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Cleretic posted:

A few ads for tablet games like this have turned up, at least around here in Australia. I see several of them, several times, in the rare occasions I watch TV, and I can never distinguish between them. Are there really that many free-to-play historic strategy games with ad campaigns that look like a segment from a Civilization opening cinematic? I think you've covered that market well enough, guys.

I suppose it makes sense they would be the games that advertise on TV more often, though. 'Real gamers' (PC and console, I mean, I'm not trying to draw a line of quality) seem to be more online, the casual audience is more the TV-watching kind.

EDIT: And they're probably on their tablets, playing those games, when your ad is playing! Even better.

Pretty much all "historical" castle-building browser games do this. It's either "Civilization for your browser" or "Come play with me, milord" Evony style sex marketing. GoW is just bringing it to the airwaves.

Jastiger posted:

Also, I am not sure if I brought it up here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone driving a Chevy Colorado is a complete rear end in a top hat based on the commercials they were pitching.
Oh poo poo look at this human being and his fuel efficient vehicle. Better get the HUGE TRUCK YEAHH BACK IN BLACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBRpylC9-Q

This is the full vid for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Getting away from the "it's sexist" thing, it's really funny. Like, if you need to drive a truck to show the world that you are a man, you aren't a man. I saw it after this Taco Bell Commerical, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZtXsUMmIA , and I've got to say, the juxtaposition is perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

lol if you actually believe these

I was speaking reeeeeeeally broadly in terms of production and transmission and the agencies and corporations required just to keep those means of communication working on a daily basis. Compare the money and effort and manhours that go into a TV ad that will be seen by 2 million people compared to the amount of work that goes into Pewdipie's latest youtube video.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Millennials may not be some special new breed of human that are going to develop mutant powers and be hunted down by the normals, but it's hard to deny they're into different media and cultural attitudes. Now this in itself isn't new, but the details are. Now that social media has allowed us to scream at the top of our lungs far more efficiently, is it any surprise that people are having a hard time advertising to millennials? These are the sorts of people who wouldn't know how the public feels about pedophilia without a focus group, now they have a million voices chattering in their ears with as many different, conflicting opinions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think its less Millennials are special and more we are inundated with ads every day from the time we're old enough to focus on a television. It jades you REAL fast. The trick is less "get the message out" and more "how do we trick people into not realizing their being manipulated". I mean look at old ads in the 50s. A fun little ditty, a picture of the image, a (likely) false scientific claim on the product and boom, you're in. The campells soup thing is perfect. It wasn't necessarily BETTER than other soups, it was just ubiquitous and it paid off.

Same phasing with the internet. If we put ads EVERYWHERE people will buy buy BUY! And it worked until people got wise and it didn't work anymore. Now you have them hidden at the top of Google searches or disguised as news articles. The trouble is, the uneducated still buy into it, while the jaded roll their eyes and install Ad Block or avoid them all together. Think about the type of person that clicks on "The Top 10 things THEY don't want you to know" ads vs the Taco Bell ad. One respects your intelligence and ability to internalize marketing, the other plays on your ignorance and gullibility.

More Millenials are educated and jaded, so you see it working a lot less than it used to I think, more so than it being just a young person. Uneducated Millenials DO buy into some of that stuff, so its not going away for a long time. I just think people on this forum are a bit more savvy about it than we are giving the general public credit for.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Yo campbells

If you actually told me that I could use your soup to make things other than, you know, soup, I would probably be more inclined to buy it. Like throw some tuna, rice, veggies and condensed mushroom soup into a baking dish, stick it in the over, and you can have a TUNA CASSEROLE that is good for LEFTOVERS (though I'd probably switch out when I realize I could get the same results with the even-cheaper in-store brand soup).

You know why that would work on me? Because I am loving broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time. If I want artisanal siracha flavoured chorizo sausage Mexcian bean sludge, I would go out and buy it at a place downtown that specializes in it because, again, I am broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sitchensis posted:

Yo campbells

If you actually told me that I could use your soup to make things other than, you know, soup, I would probably be more inclined to buy it. Like throw some tuna, rice, veggies and condensed mushroom soup into a baking dish, stick it in the over, and you can have a TUNA CASSEROLE that is good for LEFTOVERS (though I'd probably switch out when I realize I could get the same results with the even-cheaper in-store brand soup).

You know why that would work on me? Because I am loving broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time. If I want artisanal siracha flavoured chorizo sausage Mexcian bean sludge, I would go out and buy it at a place downtown that specializes in it because, again, I am broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time.

That's literally a recipe on the back of every can of mushroom soup Campbell's sells.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Monkey posted:

That's literally a recipe on the back of every can of mushroom soup Campbell's sells.

This is true, but it wasn't shown in a commercial (recently) and reading is hard. Besides, those words are next to all those numbers telling you how bad the stuff inside the can is for you, and if you start reading that, you're just not going to buy it anyway.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Millennials aren't any more savvy about advertising. Oh no Campbells can't market to Millennials, that's totally proof that no one can! *purchases a new iphone every loving year*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kazil posted:

Millennials aren't any more savvy about advertising. Oh no Campbells can't market to Millennials, that's totally proof that no one can! *purchases a new iphone every loving year*

Is that really a result of marketing and advertising specifically, though?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WickedHate posted:

No, Apple just figured out the secret of how Republicans took the South and have applied the strategy successfully to convince people to make decisions against their own interests year after year

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about marketing to millennials its that they also instantly knew when they're being pandered to and despise it. These soups look like they were developed by a bunch of 50 year old marketing execs who learned everything they knew about millenials based on a series of powerpoint presentations from other 50 year old execs.

This is how I feel about the ads from the Honda Civic "Today is Pretty Great" campaign that played every loving time I watched a hockey game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBxyNJaFCw

loving cringe-worthy every time.

What do kids like? Oh I know, the world sucks but there's cool stuff! Like long beards! So epic! XD And cartoons, let's put an Adventure Time clip in!!!! And let's have a kooky "dance break!" So much epic win you guys!!!!!!!!!! XD

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Bad marketing is bad marketing. Millennials aren't really smarter consumers, just some companies really suck at advertising.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Awesome Welles posted:

This is how I feel about the ads from the Honda Civic "Today is Pretty Great" campaign that played every loving time I watched a hockey game.

What do kids like? Oh I know, the world sucks but there's cool stuff! Like long beards! So epic! XD And cartoons, let's put an Adventure Time clip in!!!! And let's have a kooky "dance break!" So much epic win you guys!!!!!!!!!! XD

You say this as a joke but being around young 20 somethings anywhere confirms those are actually things they enjoy. Except maybe the dance break.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kazil posted:

Bad marketing is bad marketing. Millennials aren't really smarter consumers, just some companies really suck at advertising.

It's not that I think millennelials are just more inteligent or anything, but like, I can't think of a single ad I've ever seen for an Apple product that made me want to buy them, they're just generally known to be high quality(regardless of if that's true or not).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It's not that I think millennelials are just more inteligent or anything, but like, I can't think of a single ad I've ever seen for an Apple product that made me want to buy them, they're just generally known to be high quality(regardless of if that's true or not).

Apple is ridiculously successful and if you think that has nothing to do with advertising I don't know what to tell you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Len posted:

You say this as a joke but being around young 20 somethings anywhere confirms those are actually things they enjoy. Except maybe the dance break.

As a 20-something who routinely hangs out with other 20-somethings, everyone I've talked to thinks it's the most forced loving thing imaginable.

(anecdotal, of course, but still....)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

Yo campbells

This is really the core of the issue--it's not a generational shift so much as it is an economic one. After two consecutive generations of rising prosperity, millenials have less spending power on average than our parents. We aren't moving out to the suburbs en masse the way Boomers and Xers did, not so much because we're special snowflakes who are breaking the mold and changing the world but because in a lot of cases we can't afford to. And since it's not longer the thing that everybody is doing, even people that can afford it are thinking twice about it, which creates all kinds of differences in how we spend our money. How long and how much we continue to buck the trend depends a lot on how long it takes our generation to scrabble its way back to affluence.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

We're also not buying into the idealized 1950's fantasy that a lot of Gen Xers at first rebelled against, and then quickly tried to get for themselves -- at least not the same way.

Yes we are, we just don't have the money yet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sitchensis posted:

If I want artisanal siracha flavoured chorizo sausage Mexcian bean sludge, I would go out and buy it at a place downtown that specializes in it because, again, I am broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time.

This is pretty much how I think. If I'm going to splurge on something, it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for "gourmet" convenience food when for a little bit more (and many times actually less) I can get real food that's ten times better.

Maybe this is one of the attitudes that confounds the corporate types, i.e. we like better food, but don't want better (more expensive) convenience food.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

This is pretty much how I think. If I'm going to splurge on something, it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for "gourmet" convenience food when for a little bit more (and many times actually less) I can get real food that's ten times better.

Maybe this is one of the attitudes that confounds the corporate types, i.e. we like better food, but don't want better (more expensive) convenience food.

I don't know man, those Hot Pockets® made with Artisanal Meats & Cheeses© look mighty good to us millenials. I mean, when I'm looking for fine dining and a better experience, I'm looking for a hot pocket.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

See above. Better (more expensive) and more convenient was exactly what consumers wanted in previous generations where most people worked longer, got paid more for it, and commuted further to get to it. Now that we're winding up broke and underemployed at 30 it's harder to get people to pay premium prices for lovely but convenient products.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Awesome Welles posted:

As a 20-something who routinely hangs out with other 20-somethings, everyone I've talked to thinks it's the most forced loving thing imaginable.

(anecdotal, of course, but still....)

Same with me and my 20-something friends. But spend time in a mall or a campus common area and you'll hear people say "fail" "epic" and see at least one person who has that mustache (you know the one. The generic archetypal mustache that's become A Thing to put on clothes, books, bags, even pacifiers for babies.) and notice that giant beards are a thing.

Edit: also anecdotal. And I do live in Ohio which is notoriously poo poo. So I might just live in a shittier region.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Len posted:

Same with me and my 20-something friends. But spend time in a mall or a campus common area and you'll hear people say "fail" "epic" and see at least one person who has that mustache (you know the one. The generic archetypal mustache that's become A Thing to put on clothes, books, bags, even pacifiers for babies.) and notice that giant beards are a thing.

Edit: also anecdotal. And I do live in Ohio which is notoriously poo poo. So I might just live in a shittier region.

The only friends I have who ever say "fail" or "epic" or any poo poo like that know that they're complete losers and embrace it, but the rest of it is just as true here.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome Welles posted:

Do you also get this one or are you in a stupid part of the country?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGmNdjd5Ak

RandomFerret posted:

They can tell which camera on the phone was used to take the pic, and front-facing camera shots are almost always selfies.
Front camera, focal distance less than 3 feet, facial recognition if you want to be really fancy about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that mcdonalds thing... I saw it pop up on my Facebook Feed. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Last Chance posted:

that mcdonalds thing... I saw it pop up on my Facebook Feed. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

I've heard the managers have a quota of them they have to meet, and there's a time schedule where people are prompted to do it or something and then they record you doing it? I dunno how much of that is true, but it sounds like this hilarious dystopian promotion where you are only rewarded for love when a corporation allows it. Hyperbolic, sure, but man I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the promotion.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've heard the managers have a quota of them they have to meet, and there's a time schedule where people are prompted to do it or something and then they record you doing it? I dunno how much of that is true, but it sounds like this hilarious dystopian promotion where you are only rewarded for love when a corporation allows it. Hyperbolic, sure, but man I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the promotion.

He gazed up at the enormous M. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the golden arches. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He McLoved Big Brother.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I know, let's get our customer base to degrade themselves even further by giving unto them free food-like items in exchange for bleating our mantra! Insert some HP Lovecraft quote here. I've never read him, but I'll bet it's appropriate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I wonder if all the "Lovin Managers" are female, because a greasy 38 year old dude telling a high school girl she has to hug him for free food is a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For all of you worrying about McD's Lovin plan Qdoba is going to give you a second burrito for free if you kiss someone else for them.

In addition for those of you wondering about the pay to win mobile games on TV expect to see shitloads more adds because based on their internal reporting new signups increased 10-fold after their ad campaigns ran.

Millennials are different because they expect benefits of web culture (instant information, variety offerings, rapid response, do things any time) from traditional products and have massively depressed spending income so they're also generally penny-pinchers/value seekers. Otherwise they are mostly just more ethnically mixed than previous generations while when controlling for ethnicity holding similar opinions except in my favorite stat are the first generation since monitoring to report that they felt connected to their parents/understood their thoughts/wanted them to live nearby etc.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Feb 4, 2015

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

a greasy 38 year old dude telling a high school girl she has to hug him for free food is a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

Obviously things like that are not going to be part of the promotion. No marketing company is that stupid, come on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That ad does the exact thing it's criticising. "You don't need anyone to tell you how to be a man! Now be a man and eat your cheese and meat!"

sitchensis posted:

Yo campbells

Or, you know, not use condensed soup at all? :psyduck:

WickedHate posted:

I can't think of a single ad I've ever seen for an Apple product that made me want to buy them
That's because that's not how ads work. :rolleyes:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Taco Bell ads are always hilarious because they treat it as this top notch food that outdoes a formal attire restaurant.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bobjr posted:

Taco Bell ads are always hilarious because they treat it as this top notch food that outdoes a formal attire restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk&t=26s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I knew what that was going to be before I clicked it. I was right.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trent posted:

I thought it was going to be that "artisinal" hot pocket ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Trent posted:

I was sure it was either that or that poor chef who either got bilked or got paid way too much money to shill her 'Cantina Menu' junk.