Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Typical Pubbie posted:

edit: On a different note, could anyone recommend in-depth reading on competitive strategies in League? I want to better understand why teams choose to do things like lane swap, jungle-follow, etc, what the risks of these strategies are, and how they're executed. Really, anything having to do with advanced competitive strategy in League would be helpful. I don't mind if it's your blog.

The truth is that an up to date summary of competitive macro strategy in League doesn't exist, or if it does, I haven't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

The truth is that an up to date summary of competitive macro strategy in League doesn't exist, or if it does, I haven't read it.

I'll take a retrospective. I don't need bleeding edge analysis, just help understanding the theory. I could Google the stuff myself, but I want to read what goons are reading/writing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Gendered leagues are dumb as hell and not progressive at all. They exist to protect male spaces, not to lift women up.
There's like, one or two female players in Challenger right now so the appeal of a "Platinum - Diamond" league being advertised when we have the LCS isn't very alluring without a gimmick, even if that gimmick is an all-girls league or a college league.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'll take a retrospective. I don't need bleeding edge analysis, just help understanding the theory. I could Google the stuff myself, but I want to read what goons are reading/writing.

Hang out in the competitive thread and watch some pro league games. There's a handful of strategies teams usually take, but it boils down to more team comp and power curves than macro strategy.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Now you, YOU, could be Dig's next coach!!!

dig posted:

The requirements for this position are extremely high. At a minimum, please only apply if:
• You speak English and Korean at near fluency.
• You have a strong understanding of the Korean professional scene, and can apply these concepts across language and cultural borders to the team.
• You have a history working with professional teams in any region.
• You are able to fly to North America as soon as this week, and begin your position immediately.

there is literally no one in the world who meets these criteria

the hilarious thing is that they were literally in korea during the preaseason and didn't recruit a coach then

what the gently caress dig

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

Now you, YOU, could be Dig's next coach!!!

there is literally no one in the world who meets these criteria

the hilarious thing is that they were literally in korea during the preaseason and didn't recruit a coach then

what the gently caress dig

:siren: YOU START NEXT WEEK! :siren:

Hahahaha what the hell Dignitas? Watch the team implode.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Dignitas is a rock solid lock for 10th place auto-relegation. I've never been so sure of anything in my eSports wagering life.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lmao

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Libertine posted:

Dignitas is a rock solid lock for 10th place auto-relegation. I've never been so sure of anything in my eSports wagering life.

gently caress it. I'll :toxx: to that. Dignitas will get relegated after this season.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
LS is going to coach dig you heard it here first boys

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress it. I'll :toxx: to that. Dignitas will get relegated after this season.

World's safest Toxx right here unless Cloud 9 utterly implodes. Pity nobody is betting against it to make it interesting.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Dig, like someone who is half decent is going to fly all the way from Korea to make your lovely wages.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Dig, like someone who is half decent is going to fly all the way from Korea to make your lovely wages.

Odee: "I can offer you 100 Dig mousepads"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are teams even copying Korea all that hard with everyone Wile E Cyoting it out of there? Doesn't seem as prolific as it was last season.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Who the gently caress of any competence is going to want to coach a 4 player team in mid collapse? He'd have to be offering at least like 150k/yr with the first year guaranteed to make it worth your time and the hit your reputation would take.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't think Dig will end up 10th place but I wouldn't bet on it. But I can see Team 8 or Coast getting that honor more than Dig.

I remember back in season 3 when Odee was like "these players are adults, they should behave like adults". I think his belief in that is the biggest reason for Dig's fall.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dig could probably make an okay team with the substitutes that were around in Week 1 anyway.

Top: Flaresz
Jungle: ShorterAce
Mid: HuHi
ADC: KEITHMCBRIEF
Support: Gleeb

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Flameingblack posted:

Dig could probably make an okay team with the substitutes that were around in Week 1 anyway.

Top: Flaresz
Jungle: ShorterAce
Mid: HuHi
ADC: KEITHMCBRIEF
Support: Gleeb

Only if Huhi change his name to WhoHe or alternatively

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lovechop posted:

To be fair to them I can understand their concern, the NA and EU scenes are getting completely destroyed by all of these 5 lesbian teams, and we have the insane total of one transgender player out of all of LCS and challenger

Wait I missed that, we actually have a transgender player? That's awesome, when did that happen and what team do they play for?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Lightning Knight posted:

Wait I missed that, we actually have a transgender player? That's awesome, when did that happen and what team do they play for?

yuno, the support for team roar

http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/Roar_%28Team%29

e. oh she goes by some other name now here's the page: http://lol.esportspedia.com/wiki/Mizore

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wow that's super cool, a shame they didn't actually make it to the LCS. Maybe they can take DIG's spot in the summer. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lovechop posted:

LS is going to coach dig you heard it here first boys
it worked for the urgod

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

K8.0 posted:

Who the gently caress of any competence is going to want to coach a 4 player team in mid collapse? He'd have to be offering at least like 150k/yr with the first year guaranteed to make it worth your time and the hit your reputation would take.

Someone who wants to come to America and prove they're a Legal Legends miracle worker. Why would your reputation take a hit for taking the chance to save the Titanic? There aren't THAT many professional LoL teams. It's still a good opportunity to coach.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dig magic will prevent them from being relegated, because if they were to be relegated the suffering and stupidity would be over, and that's just not going to happen.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Libertine posted:

Only if Huhi change his name to WhoHe or alternatively

Even better, his solo queue name is WHO IS HE

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Yuno has now moved on to using the name Shiro, you all are behind.

Typical Pubbie posted:

League strategy is usually a responsive thing because of the changing nature of the game so it hasn't worked like other games where the rules are static and strategy gets more and more refined.

Still, there is a toolkit that has grown over time (especially since S4, where things got more serious). I'm not sure if theres anything comprehensive available but if theres a particular set of tactics you're interested I can whip something up.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

idk what :toxx: means, someone explain so i can weight my chances of counter:toxx:ing

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Luna Was Here posted:

idk what :toxx: means, someone explain so i can weight my chances of counter:toxx:ing

it means if you lose your bet you get banned.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

How Rude posted:

it means if you lose your bet you get banned.
ok

Demiurge4 posted:

countering: they'll go to relegation matches but escape by the skin of their teeth or whatever that saying is

may the best man not have to fork over $10 for the unban

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Just in case it may be relevant, there is no relegation match for tenth place. You just get chucked into the challenger bin.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Kori(Selfie) is back as mid for MYM, wtf is going on with that team.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Flameingblack posted:

Even better, his solo queue name is WHO IS HE

And "Catsexual" in case you ever wonder who the absurd only-Nidalee account smashing a random Challenger game at 2 in the morning PST is.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

Looks like Kori(Selfie) is back as mid for MYM, wtf is going on with that team.
it's a bad team with bad players so nothing lost nothing gained and all that

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I was following some people on twitter who were hinting at the poo poo going on with MYM/SHC and it seems like they're pretty hosed up. Things about the players not getting paid, mismanagement, and Selfie managing to get away with being a spoiled brat.

I don't think they'll do well with that kind of anti-chemisty

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Anyone know if they are releasing summoner icons in client for the non-LCS regions? I've been looking for some kind of announcement but can't find any. They usually release them at some point around this time.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
No idea as to the summoner Icons!

SKT vs Samsung right now - they're starting Faker! If they don't pick Xerath blind maybe they can win!

http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000604&cat=NEWS&subcat=LEAGUE%20OF%20LEGENDS also Garena fixed their mistake it seems.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Came in late and missed the first 10 mins, but took until 20:00 to realise that's a top lane Rengar :pwn:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Faker is such a monster on Ezreal. Completely ungankable, hits 9/10 trueshot barrages (which he uses on cooldown constantly), huge asset in teamfights.

I wonder if he's picking it because he knows every team is going to camp him?

Also, Bengi is really underperforming. I'm not surprised SKT tried to get Rush in the pre-season.

Edit: And as good as Faker was, Marin was the one who won that first game for SKT. Give up first blood -> still dominate lane -> turn every teamfight (which he initiated). Yup, Marin is pretty good.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Bengi is like an anchor around the neck of SKT players. One bad game is excusable, two bad games makes you uneasy. Bengi has played like 4 atrociously bad games in a row for SKT. I've never seen an elite Korean team tolerate that many consecutive poor performances. Usually it's like two and then right to the bench or cut from the team. It's not even like his team is hanging him out to dry, or he's having to force plays for underperforming laners or something. He's getting solo killed, he's engaging terribly, he's wasting his time and just doing completely puzzling things constantly.

Marin and Faker are gods. Bang and Easyhoon are great. Wolf and Piccaboo are both vastly better support players than Pooh or Icebear/Casper/Wraith who they had in the past and they both seem to have great synergy with Bang.

I just don't know what the gently caress Bengi is doing. He almost lost SKT both games today and they had to carry them back with basically flawless performances from both solo lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
There are junglers in NA and EU that I would take over Bengi right now in a heartbeat.

Off the top of my head:
Svenskeren
Reignover
Dominate
Jankos
Meteos(maybe?)

• Locked thread