Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Figured I'd share some of the better ones I've taken over the past few months. I know some people aren't big on watermarks but the pics are also taken for a website.

IMG_1619 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_1135 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_3562 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_9092 by reverendhammer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Why is your watermark different in every shot, Rob?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

RangerScum posted:

Why is your watermark different in every shot, Rob?

To be candid, laziness on my part. I was using Lightroom on two different computers at one point but hadn't unified my watermarks. But maybe that comment will finally get me to fix them.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations for concert photo blogs, maybe ones with more of a focus on local shows? I did some searching and the bulk of the results I found were from mostly major shows and those usually have strict rules which usually don't provide for a lot of photo variety.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I'm also having a hard time finding a more fan-photog based site. I think the best thing you could do is just hop around one of the Flickr groups for small-time / local band photographers and see what they're up to. I end up finding some really good folks who just take photos at bars and basement shows for fun. (Though, I guess that doesn't really count since it's not in a blog / magazine format. :()

I'd love to start a site of some sort since I do a lot of small / local show stuff, but I don't even know where to begin as far as community building or recruiting photographers for content goes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I haven't posted in here in forever. Mostly because I really haven't been shooting much and when I have it's been bands I know personally. A good friend of mine and I just decided to try to start shooting more shows again so we decided to gang up and start a new site a couple weeks ago. We've shot a bunch of stuff recently, though it's mostly bands we know, though because of that we posted a crap ton of photos in each gallery including shots from Anberlin's final shows a couple weeks ago.

http://camera-noise.com/

Just posted my shots from Chiodos a couple nights ago in Worcester. I shot the full show from the pit so there are a ton of photos from it.

Edit: Also, I finally hit a milestone for my photos and had a photo make it to a shirt.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 17, 2014

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Sharizard posted:

I'm also having a hard time finding a more fan-photog based site. I think the best thing you could do is just hop around one of the Flickr groups for small-time / local band photographers and see what they're up to. I end up finding some really good folks who just take photos at bars and basement shows for fun. (Though, I guess that doesn't really count since it's not in a blog / magazine format. :()

I'd love to start a site of some sort since I do a lot of small / local show stuff, but I don't even know where to begin as far as community building or recruiting photographers for content goes.

Yeah, I was really surprised that I found very little for Austin (one Flickr group that has been dead for a while, and another FB group run by one guy who's photos were kinda 'meh'). KUTX has a Flickr account with some really good photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kutxaustintx/sets/) but they tend to cover only big events. Even my photog friends here in town weren't aware of any.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I think I'm just going to start a Flickr group specifically for photography of small and local bands. From there, depending on how it goes, I may expand it into an actual site. Gotta fill that niche.

EDIT: Also, content.

Gnar Wave Rangers.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

rockcity posted:

Edit: Also, I finally hit a milestone for my photos and had a photo make it to a shirt.

How did this work out? Did you get paid for this? How did you prep your photo for screenprinting? How many other photos were considered for the shirt design? Questions questions questions.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sharizard posted:

How did this work out? Did you get paid for this? How did you prep your photo for screenprinting? How many other photos were considered for the shirt design? Questions questions questions.

A lot of that I wasn't privy to. I've known the band personally for about 8 years now and this was a shot they all loved because it's really rare to get a photo with the entire band visible. Their manager bought the photo from me for a flat rate for un-restricted use. I've sold photos in the past to them and to lots of other bands, but this was the first time any of them made it to a t-shirt.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Is that Jon Heder

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Believe it or not, majority of the faces he made that night looked just like that. Also, no. I wish it was him, though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
All I ever shoot is small local shows because I just can't commit to shooting for media any more with my work schedule otherwise I'd be totally rippin' poo poo up.

If anyone is thinking of getting an A7S for concerts, do so. It is the most incredible thing to go into a venue with crappy lighting and still get usable shutter speeds and decent photos when other photographers are either stressing out or using flashes. Using manual focus lenses has become almost second nature for me now and often I'll find myself wishing my 35mm f/2.8 was manual focus because while it's zippy in good light, it's slow to focus in the dark. You'll pretty much never run out of buffer because the camera was designed to handle much larger 36MP files than the 12MP files it produces.

This is at ISO 8000.

This is at 40000. I shot most of the photos in this particular set at 51200. I was shooting at 1/200 and 1/250 in lovely light. Such a huge thing for jumpy, head bangy bands.

The scary thing is that in a few years, with the way technology advances, eventually all new cameras will have at least A7S-type capabilities. It used to be that you'd need a D3 to shoot decently clean 6400 photos or a 1DMkIII to shoot at 3200. Now even the cheapest Rebel or NEX will do that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Getting some gear upgrade envy with those. I'd kill for a new body, but it looks like I'll be spending $200 on the 40mm 2.8 pancake lens this week and that'll be it.

Considering I shot maybe 10 shows last year, I'm hitting the ground running this year - three down, with two festivals and a bunch of stuff in the next week that'll make it busier than the last year combined. One of the first ones off the rank: Nas.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
It seems in my absence a lot of local venues have actually put in lights. I should gently caress off more often.

Iceage:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
First festival of the season:

It's so nice when my Sigma 50mm behaves wide open. I think my lens is slowly dying or the autofocus is hosed, and combine that with concerts and a slow-rear end 5D Mark 2 and it's been problematic in the past. Did alright and I did most of the day's shooting on it though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I know most of you are probably sick of how I go on about my A7S, but it truly is a revolutionary creative tool for concert photographers. Get one and you will no longer worry about wild motion or bad lighting. You will go out and take photos fearlessly, capturing exact moments as opposed to moments between moments. I could never go back to my old cameras now. The thought that I used to work primarily at 1600 and 3200 seems laughable.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

HPL posted:

I know most of you are probably sick of how I go on about my A7S, but it truly is a revolutionary creative tool for concert photographers. Get one and you will no longer worry about wild motion or bad lighting. You will go out and take photos fearlessly, capturing exact moments as opposed to moments between moments. I could never go back to my old cameras now. The thought that I used to work primarily at 1600 and 3200 seems laughable.

Do you work for Sony?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Do you work for Sony?

I actually used to scoff at Sony stuff because their DSLRs were awful. The NEX 5N impressed me for a small, cheap camera. The A7S is nuts.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm waiting to decide between 5DS R and A7?

selling off all of my Canon gear is a daunting proposition, especially considering not everything I shoot is low-light concert stuff. A cross between the A7R and A7S would be very compelling.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MMD3 posted:

selling off all of my Canon gear is a daunting proposition, especially considering not everything I shoot is low-light concert stuff. A cross between the A7R and A7S would be very compelling.

In the end, you'll always be chasing technology. I'd stick with your investment.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

You've got a 5D3, don't you? That's still pretty hot poo poo and one of the better all-around cameras available.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

You've got a 5D3, don't you? That's still pretty hot poo poo and one of the better all-around cameras available.

no, I have a 5D2...

and my latest camera is suspended from a flying deathcopter https://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/15791022124/

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MMD3 posted:

no, I have a 5D2...

and my latest camera is suspended from a flying deathcopter https://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/15791022124/

off-topic, which deathcopter? my tax return is going to be coming soon.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
What's the difference between the A7 and A7s? They're both full frame by the looks, and adaptors with AF seem to run at about $400US which isn't too bad considering prices are only going to rise for me now that the Australian dollar is tanking against the US.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Pukestain Pal posted:

off-topic, which deathcopter? my tax return is going to be coming soon.

DJI Inspire 1

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MMD3 posted:

DJI Inspire 1

Neat, I'm planning on getting the phantom 2.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

What's the difference between the A7 and A7s? They're both full frame by the looks, and adaptors with AF seem to run at about $400US which isn't too bad considering prices are only going to rise for me now that the Australian dollar is tanking against the US.

The A7S is what you'd come up with if you said: "gently caress everything else, let's make a sensor that's built for high ISO performance." It carries on the tradition of the old original Canon 5D and the Nikon D3 with lower resolution for big photosites to soak up the photons.

The A7 has better resolution and phase detect AF on the sensor. It is also a lot cheaper, though the A7S is an all-metal build and has an all-metal lens mount.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Life's too short to shoot boring shows:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

I, Butthole posted:

First festival of the season:

I really like this shot. Composition and moment capture are really good. Great sense of movement.

Shot in the darkest venue I've ever been in.

Better lighting:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Oprah Haza posted:

Shot in the darkest venue I've ever been in.

Judging by the EXIF info, you'd die if you shot in some of the venues I usually go to.

Also, while manual focus lenses can be an impediment in everyday shooting, I have found that they are actually better than AF lenses in low light. Shooting film cameras got me used to manual focus so it's just grip it and rip it when the show starts as opposed to "half press, oh god, half press, come on, half press, poo poo, half press, ah there we go". EVFs are great because you get to use a combination of focus peaking and watching the picture whip into focus like an OVF.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
God bless drummers who take huge drinks of water and then spit it out on their drumsets combined with a lighting guy who knows what the fucks up

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Oh gently caress yes those rule

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

God bless drummers who take huge drinks of water and then spit it out on their drumsets combined with a lighting guy who knows what the fucks up

I need more of this in my life. So good. :sax:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Thanks y'all. Ended up getting a last minute pass to shoot Foo Fighters/Rise Against last night, in a magical fantasy land where "from the pit" means "halfway back across a football field". Lots of angry photographers (myself included) with 70-200 and I'm just happy I fluked and brought my crop body as well.

Also ended up going from shooting nothing and having a relaxing week before a full weekend festival to shooting Conor Oberst tonight, Judas Priest/Dragonforce on Thursday and Marilyn Manson on Friday. It's like the literal definition of 0-60.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This thread is so much FUN. gently caress there's some great stuff in here.

Here's a few I shot a few days ago

Mable Jo by francography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Judas fuckin' Priest and Dragonforce hell yeah this was literally all kinds of ridiculous

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
After having my photo pass revoked at the very last minute (as in twenty minutes before he went on stage) I finally got to shoot Marilyn Manson tonight. Wasn't too bad, but he brought a bunch of portable airconditioners that were sitting in the pit so it was cramped as gently caress.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Just gonna keep postin'

Soundwave Festival time, which means a newly expanded two days of metal. Not usually my scene, but some great discoveries and I finally got a chance to shoot hosed Up's entire set - the last two times they were out they clashed with headliners such as Metallica and Iron Maiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

Just gonna keep postin'
Yes. Yes yes yes. Keep postin' everything you got, it's fantastic!