Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

People are having trouble with the Mine boss?

You just run around it and hit the switches. Don't bother fighting anything. Hit all the switches three times and it's dead. I...didn't even realize you could damage it any other way.

I don't think you can. Or rather I had a stupidly strong gun at the time and it wasn't even denting the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

Dipping my toes in modding. I was talking with Vib Rib earlier and we agreed the pacing of the first two ship expansions was a bit weird since they require the same tier of ore for the SAIL upgrades. Plus, personally, between storage and crafting stations I found myself rather cramped for space on the ship early on. So to pace it out a bit more, and give access to the expanded ship earlier, I made a little mod that makes it so the first expansion requires 10 gold bars and 10 steel bars instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d1vlg1czt4hazg/UpgradeShipEarlier.modpak?dl=0
Awww yes. Thanks, Pakled. It seemed weird to me that both upgrades could be gotten within like 3 minutes of each other. An earlier upgrade goes a long way. Great work, again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Anybody ever come across desert worlds without sandstorm weather yet? In old stable I liked setting up shop on desert worlds with colorful sand (Useful for making short trips to pick up more materials for glass, or quickly expanding instead of digging through dirt and cobblestone), but these sandstorms clipping through the walls, floor, an ceiling of my slowly building house are getting kind of annoying even though they are only a visual effect.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'm just gonna dismantle what little progress I've made setting up shop because clicking across over a dozen star systems I can survive landing in right now, all of em got sandstorm. Looks like it's a boring forest world. Maybe I'll try my luck with a snowy world and hope snow doesn't clip through walls as badly unless you are a dozen tiles underground or something.

*Two minutes later* "Oh, cool. This snow world has a bunch of glowvines... Wait, what's this rock I'm standing on as far as the eye can see?" *Twenty loving second on a single 2x2 chunk later* Oh, this snow world is actually made half out out of Obsidian instead of snow... :cripes: Fine, I'll go back to a forest world to build things yeesh.

Forest Update: Pretty trees that look like they have cotton candy for branches, and an Apex apartment complex ten feet from spawn for my Apex guy to loot for decorations remind me of home, yeah this was a good call.

*30 seconds later* Okay, so Apex towns unlike floran ones have rooftop shield generators. Lootin time!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 3, 2015

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I kind of feel like I'm missing an obvious thing here, but in the inventory, if I have a big stack of items, I often find myself wanting to place my selected item into a slot one by one, but all I can do is either drop my whole stack, or keep splitting it in half until I get exactly what I want. There's surely a button I press to place stuff in the grid one unit at a time, right?

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Last night I learned a very important lesson. If you use your matter manipulator to remove the bed out from an NPC who is sleeping, you will kill that NPC. It will be gone forever. I found an Avian town to loot like crazy for all my 3D printer needs, and figured hey I take the chairs out from under people all the time just going to take this bed! And then the Avian disappeared with the same animation that PCs get when they die. RIP random Avian bro.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I've become obsessed with the idea of a planet with oceans of coffee (or maybe alien juice). I'm working on brewing enough to fill a large vat on my ship for now, I want to see what happens if you immerse yourself in it, though I would like to be able to float a boat on it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shevmo posted:

Last night I learned a very important lesson. If you use your matter manipulator to remove the bed out from an NPC who is sleeping, you will kill that NPC. It will be gone forever.
There was a patch released today that fixes that.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Vib Rib posted:

There was a patch released today that fixes that.

RIP Mister Sandman perk

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

JerikTelorian posted:

Well we just got a patch, and I hope you didn't like outpost short crates or lab lockers like I did, because those went down to 16 and 9 slots respectively.

On the plus side, lunar base lockers shot up to 48 slots so they're super useful now.

I had nothing but those lockers, and just sorted all my poo poo out yesterday. That really sucked.
Considering I had beaten everything other than grabbing a giant carved bone thing, and the last two ship upgrades (and I had a ton of resources), I'm just not going to gently caress with this until 'stable' means stable, or the next big patch sucks me in.

That's some pretty annoying poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ahundredbux posted:

RIP Mister Sandman perk

This makes me miss sandfarming/surfing. Is there a mod that brings that back?

Though, I do appreciate being able to suck up liquids. So much fuel from one tiny little moon! :toot:

Also, and this has nothing to do with anything, your username reminds me of R. K. Maroon finally giving in to Eddie Valiant, saying "Fine, Valiant, you got your hundred bucks."

EDIT: vvv Oh, well... that makes sense.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Ores no longer spawn in sand, just use a pickaxe or drill or whatever to dig 'em out faster gently caress

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
This game really shouldn't have bosses like the mining facility thing when the controls are so sluggish and unresponsive. It'd probably be fine if you could walk backwards at any speed, but as it is, god loving dammit this is the anti-fun.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wouldn't mind this mining base boss thingy so much if, after getting killed by it, I didn't have to go back through the whole loving stage again. Feh.

Checkpoints would really, really, really benefit the missions.

Vib Rib posted:

I think I've managed a kind of fix, but my modding skills are super rusty so forgive me if something's gone wrong.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz309ci79c29ap8/unofficial%20replicator%20patch.rar?dl=0
This unofficial patch I've made adds about 16 recipes to all three replicators, which should fully cover anything you can craft at the block crafting station.

Thanks! I can't remember exactly what was missing but it was metal stuff. I guess it was because you could make them using other methods, but I had wanted the bulk production.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Starbound

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pakled posted:

Dipping my toes in modding. I was talking with Vib Rib earlier and we agreed the pacing of the first two ship expansions was a bit weird since they require the same tier of ore for the SAIL upgrades. Plus, personally, between storage and crafting stations I found myself rather cramped for space on the ship early on. So to pace it out a bit more, and give access to the expanded ship earlier, I made a little mod that makes it so the first expansion requires 10 gold bars and 10 steel bars instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d1vlg1czt4hazg/UpgradeShipEarlier.modpak?dl=0

The pacing for the last two upgrades is pretty weird too, not that I'm complaining. You can get the last one immediately after the 4th (there are no quests before the last becomes available), and the materials you need to upgrade are actually a little easier to get then they are for the 4th. It would make a lot more sense to use Solarium for the 4th upgrade, and compounds for the last.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 3, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

GOTY 2028

Musluk
May 23, 2011

not enough alpacas imo

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Summing up all the thoughts I have with Starbound, the sentiment would be largely the same as this article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/03/dear-avalanche-please-let-just-cause-3-focus-on-fun/#more-267677

Please stop trying to put the game before the fun. Gating is stupid in an open world game.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Am I being a complete dingus here (aside from playing Starbound in the first place, RIGHT GUYS???????), or are the Apex labs/dungeon things a bit wonky? I got to a dungeon with two locked doors and two different paths. I made my way through the floaty, horrible puzzle bits of both paths, flicked the switches at each end and still the final doors refuse to open and let me rummage through their shiny monkeyboxes. Am I missing something obvious or is there an actual problem here?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

No gating at all would put most of the tech tree into a weird spot where you don't really ever use it. I think there is plenty of room to argue about how they do it, or the pacing that new stuff opens up to you at, but none at all wouldn't work in the game's interest.

I really do think that they need to separate planet biomes from difficulty again, just because I'd like to be able to explore something later on that isn't a volcano or dead planet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think having beacons sent out from people on planets, maybe they're stranded, maybe they need muscle, any reason to go to specific planets to help out, would be great. You could set yourself up like an interstellar bounty hunter/handyman/deliveryman/bodyguard. Even a bulletin board with different requests would be great. 'Go kill this guy, or bring him back alive for more of a reward', 'Wanted: 1,000 ears of corn', 'I need transport to Beta Phi XIII, will pay tons for the lift!', stuff like that.

Is that planned?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rework the outpost/quest system to be more like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Start a crew and send them out on dispatches

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of the big problems in my mind is how they've restructured the biome planets. I know it's temporary, because they've got a dozen or so biomes we've already seen that are now out of the game on standby, but it sucks having every single biome planet be basically identical. Every forest planet has the same type of trees, every desert planet has the same sub-biomes, and on and on. It used to be a little more random than this and I assume a change is coming but why they'd ever change it from "any planet can have any sub-biome" is beyond me.
Also stop hard-locking certain types of trees (and leaves) to planets. They've got random plants and planets, just put them to use, drat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know would be a great QoL detail, especially with them playing around with container sizes?

Listing how much a container can hold in it's description. "Okay, I can print a metal crate for 300 pixels, or a primitive crate for 650 pixels. Primitive crate's got to better right?... Oh, they both take up the exact same space, and have the same amount of storage space :downs:"

Which is all a bit moot for me because until I get well into things, I'm a "Make everything out of woooooood :byodood:" sort because hey, renewable resource I can make flooring, furniture, AND storage containers out of! But it's nice to know which slightly different shaped or sized containers holds what without having to commit it to memory when browsing an ever growing list of doodads.

Then I can make my boring series of rectangles out of OTHER things! (Not pictured, my going insane and making a glass background as far as the eye can see :shepface:)

Vib Rib posted:

One of the big problems in my mind is how they've restructured the biome planets. I know it's temporary, because they've got a dozen or so biomes we've already seen that are now out of the game on standby, but it sucks having every single biome planet be basically identical. Every forest planet has the same type of trees, every desert planet has the same sub-biomes, and on and on. It used to be a little more random than this and I assume a change is coming but why they'd ever change it from "any planet can have any sub-biome" is beyond me.
Also stop hard-locking certain types of trees (and leaves) to planets. They've got random plants and planets, just put them to use, drat.

Yeah, as much as I like these pretty pink trees I've found on this latest (mostly harmless) world I picked out at random to start building a sorry excuse of a home base at, variety is good. I could understand not having certain planet types or biomes show up until higher tiers, but that is no reason to make the old planet types a no show.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2015

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
What's the best way to get iron? My friends keep murdering my NPC villagers and I can't seem to find enough on higher level planets.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MoreLikeTen posted:

What's the best way to get iron? My friends keep murdering my NPC villagers and I can't seem to find enough on higher level planets.

Head to a low-level planet, one that's Harmless or Mostly Harmless. I haven't seen any iron spawn at difficulties higher than that.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Pakled posted:

Head to a low-level planet, one that's Harmless or Mostly Harmless. I haven't seen any iron spawn at difficulties higher than that.

Cool, thanks.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

One suggestion I saw that I think is a really fuckin' great idea is to make difficulty more variable on individual planets - make it so that the area you beam down is always safe, but as you explore further and further away, you risk the possibility of coming across more dangerous, basically higher-tiered biomes.

So basically, make individual planets like Terraria worlds.

It'd make perfect sense in-game, too, just say that you ship's computer automatically scans the worlds to find the safest area to touch down on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

XboxPants posted:

One suggestion I saw that I think is a really fuckin' great idea is to make difficulty more variable on individual planets - make it so that the area you beam down is always safe, but as you explore further and further away, you risk the possibility of coming across more dangerous, basically higher-tiered biomes.

So basically, make individual planets like Terraria worlds.

It'd make perfect sense in-game, too, just say that you ship's computer automatically scans the worlds to find the safest area to touch down on.
I mean, yeah, I'm all for that, too. I'm just saying right now the way a lot of biome features work is that they're less random than before. Why not have eyeball/vine/flower trees potentially show up on ANY planet, instead of just the ones they're tied to? Why not take the existing overworld topography and scramble it, so you can have arid planets with rolling hills or grassland planets with huge ravines? Why not have tar biomes and mushroom biomes show up on any planet? Why not take all the crazy, wild tree types and play a more unfettered mix-and-match with their leaf/trunk combos?

The bottom line is that right now so many things are linked when they should be independent. Arid planets always have the same flat-ravine-flat topography, always pull from the same pool of colors, always populate with the same type of tree, only ever feature the same sub-biome. There's no reason all these random factors that are assigned per-planet should be the same every time. Mix them up!

E: Also, hey, looks like the next addition is going to be teleporter networks that are capable of working across planets. So you can build a big teleporter "hub" base on your home planet and then branch it off to villages, dungeons, fun biomes, whatever, and save yourself the trips.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2umvl1/the_next_major_feature_is_placeable_teleporters/

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, yeah, I'm all for that, too. I'm just saying right now the way a lot of biome features work is that they're less random than before. Why not have eyeball/vine/flower trees potentially show up on ANY planet, instead of just the ones they're tied to? Why not take the existing overworld topography and scramble it, so you can have arid planets with rolling hills or grassland planets with huge ravines? Why not have tar biomes and mushroom biomes show up on any planet? Why not take all the crazy, wild tree types and play a more unfettered mix-and-match with their leaf/trunk combos?

The bottom line is that right now so many things are linked when they should be independent. Arid planets always have the same flat-ravine-flat topography, always pull from the same pool of colors, always populate with the same type of tree, only ever feature the same sub-biome. There's no reason all these random factors that are assigned per-planet should be the same every time. Mix them up!

Oh yeah, definite agreement there, I just wanted to go off on a tangent. As stupid as this is, the wildly varied planets are actually pretty boring and predictable.

Vib Rib posted:

E: Also, hey, looks like the next addition is going to be teleporter networks that are capable of working across planets. So you can build a big teleporter "hub" base on your home planet and then branch it off to villages, dungeons, fun biomes, whatever, and save yourself the trips.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2umvl1/the_next_major_feature_is_placeable_teleporters/

This is great to hear, and if it takes no more than a month that'd be fantastic. I hope this will allow them (or modders) to build checkpoints into missions.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

XboxPants posted:

This is great to hear, and if it takes no more than a month that'd be fantastic. I hope this will allow them (or modders) to build checkpoints into missions.

I really hope this includes changeable beam-down points for planets.

And yes, the time-to-patch for this is going to be the real decider on how much credibility to give CF as a developer now.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 3, 2015

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

JerikTelorian posted:

I really hope this includes changeable beam-down points for planets.

And yes, the time-to-patch for this is going to be the real decider on how much credibility to give CF as a developer now.

Even if it doesn't end up letting you, at least with teleporter networks you can just make the beamdown point the "hub" of your network.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
With the 'Boat' tech expansion (which slots into your head?) you can sail across oceans of poison or lava. Or just activate it during a regular jump, and be sitting around in a boat anywhere. You can use a grappling hook and pull yourself around while boated, for tryhard landcaptains.

And if you dig down to a world's molten core, you can boat around on the lowermost layer of magma. And just sail underneath the richest deposits of the rarest minerals. Even down there, you may find occasional wooden chests with 300 pixels and a mediocre crossbow.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Vib Rib posted:

Can mods not gently caress with planet generation settings?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can gently caress with ore and poo poo, so I imagine they can.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
So has Chucklefish made any statement about future updates? Will they come out "thick and fast" or can we expect to wait another year for more content?

Of course they could pull a Mojang and just trawl the mod section and officially add good ones every month or two.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azzents posted:

Of course they could pull a Mojang and just trawl the mod section and officially add good ones every month or two.

Wasn't there drama over there when CF did it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Probably, but they haven't stopped. The customizable signs were a mod. I'm pretty sure they get in contact with mod authors before they integrate stuff.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Tallgeese posted:

I'm sure that most mod makers would gladly have their stuff added as official content if they got a mention, but I'm sure Chucklefish have the rights to any mods made for their game without having to incur any legal ramifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They chose some weird thing too. Was that skyrails mod IIRC. And it was an end-tier tech too, which was odd.

• Locked thread