Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

KingEffingFrost posted:

That's... that's almost cannibalism, right? That's sort of like another DDS game...

The Persona 4 cast really is trapped in Purgatory. Doomed to repeat the same game, the same character tropes, for eternity.

Ascend to Nirvana, Husks of Purgatory. Rest At Last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

There will never, ever be another Nocturne, DDS, or Raidou game.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine Rise glomping on a human face--forever

Raidou is the only one of the three that was ever possibly going to get a sequel in the way you're implying. DDS is a complete story and stands on its own, and Nocturne was a mainline game that has already been followed up on.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

They both have really terrible final dungeons, to be honest. DDS are some of my favorite MegaTen games, but man those final dungeons are loving awful.

Having just played the two games over the last month I completely disagree with this. Long final dungeons are extremely good and the DDS games have the best SMT final dungeons in a game that isn't Strange Journey. The one in DDS2 is such a large chunk of the game that I can't imagine liking the game if you hate that dungeon.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
does that persona stream start at midnight in nihon or like 10am

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Evil Eagle posted:

The one in DDS2 is such a large chunk of the game that I can't imagine liking the game if you hate that dungeon.
That dungeon's main feature is that they finally stop messing with your party for plot reasons.

Another annoying thing about DDS2 is that as far as I can tell, you can't combine using an NG+ save with importing a better save from DDS1.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

hubris.height posted:

does that persona stream start at midnight in nihon or like 10am

Starts at 1 PM wednesday in Japan
around 11pm today EST
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/february-4-persona-news-livestream-schedule-announced

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So does P4AU have the story mode from P4A or would I need both for the whole story?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei Hyde posted:

So does P4AU have the story mode from P4A or would I need both for the whole story?

It doesn't but I think there's DLC to add it back.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SInce they couldn't be bothered to convert the time to Eastern time: (The actual events with news or other things to talk about are in bold)

February 3
11:00PM – Countdown commencement with greetings from host Teddie

February 4
12:00AM – Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth character video showcase
1:00AM – Persona 4 Arena Ultimax character video showcase
4:00AM – Persona 4 Golden Vita the Best version launch commemoration special – The “Greatest Hits” version of Persona 4 Golden launches February 5. This segment will reveal fans’ top 10 favorite Persona 4 Golden characters, as conducted via a pre-stream vote.
5:30AM – Top 25 Persona Songs – An announcement of fans’ favorite songs from throughout the series, as decided via a pre-stream vote.
7:30AM – A two-hour special digest of Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Birth and Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight’s Dream.
9:40AM – ??? (Unannounced) I would guess this is a countdown to the Midnight channel

A large break in time for Japan

10:30PM – ??? (Unannounced)
11:00PM – Top 25 Persona Songs (Repeat)

February 5th
1:00AM – Persona 4 Golden Vita the Best version launch commemoration special (Repeat)
3:00AM – ??? (Unannounced, Repeat)
4:00AM – Final countdown commencement with Teddie
4:??AM – Persona Stalker Club: Nippon Budokan Special – Join hosts Tomomi Isomura and Mafia Kajita as they host a special episode of the Persona-themed variety show live online. In addition to the usual segments, viewers can expect to find the latest Persona news coming out of this episode.
7:??AM – ????? (Unannounced, though it’s worth noting the Japanese description features five red question marks)

Pretty much apart from the Midnight channel at 10AM tomorrow there won't be much to see until Thursday morning.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder if P4G The Best is going to be a different game in any way, either with patches or actual new content, or just a fancy case or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS The Best is Japan's Greatest Hits line. After all this time, Persona 4 Golden is still not at Greatest Hits pricing like it is here.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Policenaut posted:

PS The Best is Japan's Greatest Hits line. After all this time, Persona 4 Golden is still not at Greatest Hits pricing like it is here.

Ah. Neato! Now to continue to hope that one of those unannounced bits is P3 Platinum for vita.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I too wish to play the same persona games over and over again

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You're in the wrong thread if you don't like playing the same game over and over again, tbh.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I too wish to play the same persona games over and over again

But what if it has a brand new S-link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What if they re-released it in Black, Orange, Shoebox, and Concrete editions, each with one exclusive link, one exclusive persona and slightly different enemy formations in one dungeon?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What if they re-released it in Black, Orange, Shoebox, and Concrete editions, each with one exclusive link, one exclusive persona and slightly different enemy formations in one dungeon?

Make each of those editions exclusive to a specific retailer and you've got a deal.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want Minako and voice/animation work in the same game is all.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Dehry posted:

SInce they couldn't be bothered to convert the time to Eastern time: (The actual events with news or other things to talk about are in bold)

Pretty much apart from the Midnight channel at 10AM tomorrow there won't be much to see until Thursday morning.

Didn't know what time zone people would want it converted to.

What's the Midnight channel?
We will see someone kidnapped inside the TV world and Atlus will only release them if everyone buys a copy of Persona 4 Golden: The Animation on blu-ray and Persona 4: Dancing All Night?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

asvodel posted:

Didn't know what time zone people would want it converted to.

What's the Midnight channel?
We will see someone kidnapped inside the TV world and Atlus will only release them if everyone buys a copy of Persona 4 Golden: The Animation on blu-ray and Persona 4: Dancing All Night?

I'm not blaming you, I'm talking about the site.

The midnight channel aired during the 2013 stream event at midnight daily and gave a sneak peak at locations in Japan airing the Persona trailers. Considering there is something scheduled for that time, it will probably air again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG6VZVXbq9M

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I can't believe I've played P3FES for nearly 10 hours and still haven't found any new party members. I'm finally starting to warm up to the combat/Tartarus exploration though. Beat the first boss and now I have a persona that has a bunch of defense buffs, so it should be even smoother now. I do want to replace Yukari though, her attacks are basically useless. I think I'm in for the long haul with this though, finally.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Dehry posted:

30 HOURS OF DANCING ALL NIGHT
You guys want an IRC chat for when the stream starts?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

apophenium posted:

I can't believe I've played P3FES for nearly 10 hours and still haven't found any new party members. I'm finally starting to warm up to the combat/Tartarus exploration though. Beat the first boss and now I have a persona that has a bunch of defense buffs, so it should be even smoother now. I do want to replace Yukari though, her attacks are basically useless. I think I'm in for the long haul with this though, finally.

You get new party members on a plot basis, you can't control the joining dates. You'll get a fourth party member on 5/23 and you'll get a fifth, and with them the ability to replace Yukari, on 6/11.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butt Ghost posted:

Please do this. Otherwise the thread is going to get like 1000+ posts that go "holy poo poo" "hahaha did you guys see that?" "Ugh this is a waste of time" "thats so cool" exactly like that last long Persona stream or every Nintendo direct.

At the least a mod should retitle the thread when the stream ends "conversation begins again on page x"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Eagle posted:

Having just played the two games over the last month I completely disagree with this. Long final dungeons are extremely good and the DDS games have the best SMT final dungeons in a game that isn't Strange Journey. The one in DDS2 is such a large chunk of the game that I can't imagine liking the game if you hate that dungeon.

It is not a large chunk of the game at all. You can put shitloads of hours into the prior dungeons, sidequests (Which are only doable at specific points in the game) and doing team management for boss fights. DDS is shorter than a lot JRPGs of the PS2 Era (Especially SMT and FF), but it still is pretty lengthy on its own. I would say DDS2's is somewhat better than DDS1's because you are fighting bosses of DDS1's past capped off with an entirely new motherfucker of a boss, but it still ain't good having to navigate through all that poo poo for hours on end. Final dungeons in most JRPGs are really awful normally because they have no idea how to make them lengthy in any meaningful way beyond throwing a horde of enemies, gimmicks, and boss rushes at you.

I love the DDS games, but they are not immune to this at all. They just have it better because they reused bosses from DDS1 in a fun way.

projecthalaxy posted:

Ah. Neato! Now to continue to hope that one of those unannounced bits is P3 Platinum for vita.

If there is one thing I will never understand it is people asking to see yet another loving rerelease of P3 or P4, two games that need them less than their predecessors.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 3, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want a version of Nocturne that has the in battle info screen for demons and the ability to save anywhere. Thats all it needs.
an option to crank the music up loud would also be nice tho.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I thought that the Tower of Kagutsuchi was a really interesting and fun dungeon, honestly. I had a great time with it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Butt Ghost posted:

The IRC was the best part of the P5 announcement so yeah

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not gonna lie if they re released P3P but without the Visual Novel style I would buy the poo poo out of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

I thought that the Tower of Kagutsuchi was a really interesting and fun dungeon, honestly. I had a great time with it.

Kagutsuchi's okay for the most part. It's length is decent enough and you've got plenty of new stuff happening with every few floors you go up. I don't particularly care for the boss fights, but outside of Noah they're manageable and it has a pretty alright final boss to top it off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

IRC sounds good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

littleorv posted:

Not gonna lie if they re released P3P but without the Visual Novel style I would buy the poo poo out of it.

Me too. But apparently that's bad.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just liked it because it did "hey, this tower's really loving tall" really well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's bad because they already made that game three times and have been milking P3 and P4 forever.

Like, maybe if they'd done more than one non Persona 3 or 4 game in the past several years. But they haven't.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 3, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know it won't happen, but I'd love it if Persona 5 let all your characters switch personas, not just the MC, like in Persona 1 and 2. Persona Q is reminding me how much I like being able to customize the skillset of every member of the party to a degree.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's bad because they already made that game three times and have been milking P3 and P4 forever.

Like, maybe if they'd done more than one non Persona 3 or 4 game in the past several years. But they haven't.

SMT IV and Devil Survivor 2? There's also the Soul Hackers port if you want to be generous.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Harrow posted:

Persona Q is reminding me how much I like being able to customize the skillset of every member of the party to a degree.

I never felt like I had enough storage space for personas to fuse or turn into skill cards, though. I guess the double cast made things worse in that respect but I'd still rather have a few more slots if they were to do this.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Harrow posted:

I know it won't happen, but I'd love it if Persona 5 let all your characters switch personas, not just the MC, like in Persona 1 and 2. Persona Q is reminding me how much I like being able to customize the skillset of every member of the party to a degree.

This is part of what actually burned me out on Q. It was silly because you could trivialize it, but having to manage the personas of 5-7 people got annoying fast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

SMT IV and Devil Survivor 2? There's also the Soul Hackers port if you want to be generous.

Devil Survivor 2 was released four years ago. As was Catherine, their only console release of the last generation. I'm not including remakes, so Break Record and Soul Hackers are off the list. Though if you do, the balance is shifted more in Persona's favor than against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Devil Survivor 2 was released four years ago. As was Catherine, their only console release of the last generation. I'm not including remakes, so Break Record and Soul Hackers are off the list. Though if you do, the balance is shifted more in Persona's favor than against.

I just figured that by several years, you meant since 2011, with 2010 having zero releases and all.