Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How can anyone hate Saga when it has the most adorable gay couple in comics? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read the first few issues of Saga and didn't care for it all. The only thing I liked was the art but with a story and characters I didn't care one bit about that's not enough. As much as I liked Y and Ex Machina I was really surprised to be completely disengaged with a BKV book but I was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I like Saga, but I think it's steadily improved since it began. And I also think Y was better.

Yes, the Whedon-esque character banter has subsided a lot this past arc. Now that the initial setup is over where all the main characters have been introduced the poo poo has hit the fan and things are becoming more serious. The series has always been funny even while it's being incredibly violent but this last arc was a turn around for every character and script has matched the tone.

If you were put off by the series from the beginning I can't say that it's enough for you to struggle through the story up to Quietus but BKV has settled into a voice by then.

And Staples' design is always top notch. When this series ends I'm going to make a collage and frame every cover.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Who the gently caress hates Saga?

i don't hate it, but it's lost my interest. the art is at such a higher level than the writing.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
What's the general opinion on Annihilator? I'm in love with it so far after reading #4, but I'd like to hear what people have to say about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the art is at such a higher level than the writing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Nah that's straight up true.

I like the book and it has a nice mixture of character beats and shock moments but without Staples design or being able to bounce between sweet and gross the book wouldn't be getting as much of an impact given all the delays.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

I like the book and it has a nice mixture of character beats and shock moments but without Staples design or being able to bounce between sweet and gross the book wouldn't be getting as much of an impact given all the delays.
Which is why I posted confused Lying Cat instead of absolute certain Lying Cat.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I adore each volume of Saga as it comes it but also feel vaguely annoyed by it, I think y'all are touching on this feeling with the comments about smugness. It's still witty and gorgeous and more fun than most other comics I've seen, but drat is it impressed with itself.

I'm catching back up on Deadly Class and read a scene about "superhero detox," I need to embrace the alternatives/indies harder than I have capes. Lady Killer, Bitch Planet, The Kitchen, Groo, Letter 44, The Woods, Wytches, Trees, Mind MGMT, Southern Bastards, Wicked + The Divine, Lumberjanes, Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland... all aces.

East of West and Pretty Deadly have left me cold, though. I'll hold out for them in library trades.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Saga is OK, but it's not a patch on his totally indie Private Eye.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
My comic book store dude told me the next weird 90s image reboot will be a Brian Wood Spawn. :psyduck:

Prophet and Supreme: Blue Rose have been amazing, but even as a Wood fan I have some reservations about a new Spawn.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

:doublepost:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Image Expo announce that Paul Jenkins is taking over from McFarlane while he does a new creator owned book so the Wood thing ain't gonna happen.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Space Fish posted:

I'm catching back up on Deadly Class and read a scene about "superhero detox," I need to embrace the alternatives/indies harder than I have capes. Lady Killer, Bitch Planet, The Kitchen, Groo, Letter 44, The Woods, Wytches, Trees, Mind MGMT, Southern Bastards, Wicked + The Divine, Lumberjanes, Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland... all aces.

I'm subscribed on ComiXology to Deadly Class an The Wicked + The Divine, love them both though TW+TD is probably my favourite. Considered going with Letter 44 and The Kitchen, but I'm just going with for the TPBs or whatever the digital versions are called, kinda tempted by Lumberjanes too after getting #1 either in a sale or FCBD.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm subscribed on ComiXology to Deadly Class an The Wicked + The Divine, love them both though TW+TD is probably my favourite. Considered going with Letter 44 and The Kitchen, but I'm just going with for the TPBs or whatever the digital versions are called, kinda tempted by Lumberjanes too after getting #1 either in a sale or FCBD.

Wicked and Devine nailed it today. One of the best yet. So much good stuff. Woden as a horrible racist PUA nice guy was brilliant.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Started reading Stray Bullets from the beginning. Excellent, but holy god do I want to jump off a cliff. Did the new miniseries actually come out this week? Haven't made it to LCS yet.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

profbobo posted:

Started reading Stray Bullets from the beginning. Excellent, but holy god do I want to jump off a cliff. Did the new miniseries actually come out this week? Haven't made it to LCS yet.

There really is no other comic quite like it. I don't believe the second new miniseries has begun, although the first was recently collected in a trade.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Shitshow posted:

There really is no other comic quite like it. I don't believe the second new miniseries has begun, although the first was recently collected in a trade.

Yep SB: Killers just came out in TPB, while the new series SB: Sunshine and Roses starts February 4. It goes back to the past and I think we find out how Orson and Beth got out of Baltimore.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Just finished killers. This series is so good but so soul crushing.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

profbobo posted:

Man, I've been reading Stray Bullets for the past few weeks, from a digital bundle I picked up months ago--about 20 issues in now--and yeah, there's something amazingly compelling about it. What's especially cool is that each issue feels like a complete story, and yet they still build on each other. I want to know everything about all the characters; for once, I'm reading compulsively for character, not plot.

I've also never read a comic that deals with time like this one does. Mostly, I love digital, but I feel like this is one that would really benefit from paper, so I could flip back and forth more easily to piece together the timelines. (Or I'll just look the timelines up online once I finish the run.)

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Anyone else following Zero? I'd stopped reading comics for a couple of years due to lack of interest in anything coming out but Zero's suckered me back in. The artwork is so-so but the plot is riveting - it's nothing new or ground-breaking but Ales Kot does such a good job of conveying the protagonist's mindset though so few words.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zero delivers meaty-rear end fights every issue now, awesome

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Dying and the Dead was so great. Hickman can apparently do no wrong. And that Ryan Bodenheim art was spectacular.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just finished reading Asterios Polyp, and to put it succinctly: this is a comics textbook.

Everything about it is incredible. The ending is a little strange and doesn't quite fit the tone of the book, but I think maybe it was Mazzuchelli's way of saying, "don't take this too seriously."

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can't finish Asterios Polyp without crying. Partly at the melancholy of the story and partly at the pure beauty of the whole thing as a piece of art.

EDIT: Oh and I guess, uh, farts, butts, buttholes and jizz farts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just read Asterios Polyp too! It was good. Loved the relationship between 'Sterio and Hana. Especially the way it was represented visually, with the two art styles that represented them converging and diverging at different points.

I also just finished Y: The Last Man. Goddamn it, 355. :smith:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Just finished reading Asterios Polyp, and to put it succinctly: this is a comics textbook.

Everything about it is incredible. The ending is a little strange and doesn't quite fit the tone of the book, but I think maybe it was Mazzuchelli's way of saying, "don't take this too seriously."

Along this line, one review I read (and agree with) thought it was significant that the visit to the crater happens in the middle of the book, so that dead center of the book is a big picture of a hole with the main character saying "that's quite a hole". Mazzuchelli is just acknowledging the holes in his own book.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

StumblyWumbly posted:

Along this line, one review I read (and agree with) thought it was significant that the visit to the crater happens in the middle of the book, so that dead center of the book is a big picture of a hole with the main character saying "that's quite a hole". Mazzuchelli is just acknowledging the holes in his own book.

Man, it's these details that make me appreciate the book even more, and it's why I call it a comics textbook. Mazzuchelli has an incredible command over comics design and visual cues, and he teaches comic book storytelling at a university, so I was musing that he wrote Asterios Polyp as a textbook for his own students.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I also just finished Y: The Last Man. Goddamn it, 355. :smith:

The last issue of Y is probably my favorite series finale issue of any comic.

I especially love how Yorick talks about how before growing up, you need to take the time to enjoy playing with cowboys and spacemen and robots, and it clicking on me that he's actually referencing stuff he did indeed do from the series.

Also, while I think that Y is a comic that actually would make a good movie series, I'm really glad the attempt to film it with Shia LaBeouf at Yorick fell apart.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I always thought of it as an admission of the failings of aestheticism, the intellectual/analytical nature of the book, and Asterios's own philosophy. There's not lots of holes (which would denote holes in the story to me), but one big gaping hole in the middle of it all. Whatever heart this book has is what you filled it in with, yourself.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I keep reading Manhattan Projects and I have no idea if I like it or not. I think the ideas are pretty cool and whatnot, but it could really benefit from having some focus. Years seemingly pass between issues and it just doesn't really feel like it's building up to anything. Like in trade 5, when Star City gets taken over, that seemed like a moment that should have had more impact, but it was met with a shrug from most of the other characters. A lot of the characters don't really feel fleshed out in a way that I would understand what motivates them besides SCIENCE! or really even anything about a lot of their personalities. Yet despite this, I find myself intrigued by it, but maybe I am just deluded by the hope that it will all culminate in something. I really can't explain it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was actually kind of luke warm on Manhattan Projects when I first read it, but I've liked it more and more every time I've read it since then. I usually reread it right before a new trade comes out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe that Hickman has plans to go to like issue 60 with East of West (well, I can believe it, but you know). I'm going to be downright elderly by the time it finishes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

I still can't believe that Hickman has plans to go to like issue 60 with East of West (well, I can believe it, but you know). I'm going to be downright elderly by the time it finishes.

16 issues plus a special in two years isn't really that slow at all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

16 issues plus a special in two years isn't really that slow at all.
I want it all now... :negative:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

60 issues was the gold standard for ye olde Vertigo classics like Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man and Preacher.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I think 60 is the perfect amount. 75 is really good as well. Long enough to do the big things, but not so long that it all goes to poo poo, ala fables.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

100 Bullets managed its admirable run just well, but the title itself called for such length and it always had the perfect balance of standalone stories to the big arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fatherboxx posted:

60 issues was the gold standard for ye olde Vertigo classics like Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man and Preacher.

Or 300 for Hellblazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Just read through the first two issues of Image's ODY-C, then read them again. Fantastic stuff.