Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Apoffys posted:

It would be a bit odd for him to murder his friend to get a job he'd already turned down at least once.

I don't completely buy it either, but if he was secretly a bad guy playing a long game, he may have found the right time to do it. Or it could be the other possibility, that someone else wanted him in that position and orchestrated it, and he doesn't realize he's being played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

My theory is that there is no Black Council as Harry imagines them, merely different groups acting in their own interests. The Circle is definitely real, but I do not believe they're responsible for everything Harry attributes to his Black Council.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure Nemesis and the Outsiders are the actual threat. Even Harry no longer thinks of things in terms of Black Council terms any more as of Cold Days.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

MildShow posted:

Eh, I don't buy it. Honestly, I'd be surprised if anyone on the Senior Council is Black Council, other than maybe Cristos.

I think the Merlin is actually being manipulated more than I think Mccoy is.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wade Wilson posted:

Pretty sure Nemesis and the Outsiders are the actual threat. Even Harry no longer thinks of things in terms of Black Council terms any more as of Cold Days.

Yeah and the Circle are the minions in this plane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

There's pages and pages of gender politics talk and none of the points are new.

Neither is your theory about McCoy being a member of the Black Council which was a theory for as long as I've been reading Dresden but you still want to discuss it. Maybe you should not be a dick to people who are not discussing the thing you specifically want to discuss.

Regardless, McCoy almost certainly has some sort of dark secret because everyone does and "was the Blackstaff" doesn't seem to have been enough to shake Harry's faith in him. There is going to be something that does that because it is just the way Butcher does things.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Oroborus posted:

I think the Merlin is actually being manipulated more than I think Mccoy is.

See, the Merlin is the one Senior Council member I'm sure is not on the side of Nemesis, whether willingly or unwillingly. It's too easy to go "Oh, the leader of the (ostensibly) goody guys was secretly evil all along." I think he's much more of an interesting character exactly how he is - an obstructive bureaucrat who opposes Harry and everything he stands for, but when poo poo hits the fan, they're still playing on the same team.

ImpAtom posted:

Regardless, McCoy almost certainly has some sort of dark secret because everyone does and "was the Blackstaff" doesn't seem to have been enough to shake Harry's faith in him. There is going to be something that does that because it is just the way Butcher does things.

But it was. Harry lost a lot of faith and trust in Ebenezar when he found out what the Blackstaff is and does. He may have regained most of it, but not all of it.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 2, 2015

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Cool, I'm glad I'm a dick to specific users by saying a certain topic has been talked to death!

MildShow posted:

See, the Merlin is the one Senior Council member I'm sure is not on the side of Nemesis, whether willingly or unwillingly. It's too easy to go "Oh, the leader of the (ostensibly) goody guys was secretly evil all along." I think he's much more of an interesting character exactly how he is - an obstructive bureaucrat who opposes Harry and everything he stands for, but when poo poo hits the fan, they're still playing on the same team.

But it was. Harry lost a lot of faith and trust in Ebenezar when he found out what the Blackstaff is and does. He may have regained most of it, but not all of it.

I agree with you about the Merlin. Someone doesn't want Harry and the Merlin to see eye to eye, ever, or the council might be more effective.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Picked up The Rook based on recommendations from this thread, but 5 chapters in it's still damned slow. Does it pick up soon or does it keep slogging at this pace?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

OptimusWang posted:

Picked up The Rook based on recommendations from this thread, but 5 chapters in it's still damned slow. Does it pick up soon or does it keep slogging at this pace?

Yeah, I just started reading it myself, and I feel like I'm in infodump hell right now. I like the premise enough to keep reading, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

Cool, I'm glad I'm a dick to specific users by saying a certain topic has been talked to death!

So is the one you brought up. So are literally half the conversations in this thread because we get new readers fairly often and that means subject matter that came up before comes up again, especially in the time period between books where there is nothing new to discuss unless the author drops some info. Mysteriously you didn't pop up to whine about things that were 'talked to death' during any of those conversations.

OptimusWang posted:

It picks up a bit but I wasn't super-thrilled by The Rook in general so YMMV.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It all depends on how much you care about the story of letters being left behind.

It makes me worried about the second book, because the contact/similarities between the old and new character really makes me love that book.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SystemLogoff posted:

It all depends on how much you care about the story of letters being left behind.

It makes me worried about the second book, because the contact/similarities between the old and new character really makes me love that book.

One of the things that bugged me about Anthony Ryan's second book after Blood Song. He dropped the framing device and I think the book suffered for its loss.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

navyjack posted:

One of the things that bugged me about Anthony Ryan's second book after Blood Song. He dropped the framing device and I think the book suffered for its loss.

Actually, the framing device was still sort of there - at least, it was still a story being told between that scholar and someone else. I think what made the second book suffer was the switch from a singular POV character to multiple POV characters, with one being completely new to the story.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I really don't know how O'Malley can continue the series without that neat narrative device of past Thomas' letters. It was a neat time capsle effect, and I don't think it could be replicated quite the same.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Benny the Snake posted:

I really don't know how O'Malley can continue the series without that neat narrative device of past Thomas' letters. It was a neat time capsle effect, and I don't think it could be replicated quite the same.

I actually have hope for this, mostly because the latter half/third of the book has very few of those letters. I noticed that on a re-read. The letters slowly dwindle away.

The whole idea of the book is that, by the end, Thomas doesn't need the letters anymore.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I don't know why or how but McCoy in my head is Cotton Hill and there's nothing anyone can do about it

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Loving Life Partner posted:

I don't know why or how but McCoy in my head is Cotton Hill and there's nothing anyone can do about it
:laffo:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Loving Life Partner posted:

No he is clearly Uncle Jesse. Which kind of makes the Merlin into Boss Hogg, which I am stil on the fence about.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

OptimusWang posted:

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I just started reading it myself, and I feel like I'm in infodump hell right now. I like the premise enough to keep reading, though.

Yes, it picks up considerably.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mr.48 posted:

Yes, it picks up considerably.
The book's like a freight train--there's so much that it takes time to get moving but when it does, you can't stop it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, the premise grabbed me right from the start.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I just finished Neverwhere. It was really good. I went through it a little bit at a time, then powered on through the last half dozen chapters this afternoon. It's too bad Gaiman doesn't like sequels, because it's an interesting world he created here, one I think it would be fun to explore.

I have American Gods but I'm thinking of saving it for when I have a long plane journey in a couple of months. I suppose I'll start Aaronovitch's series now. Must start re-reading Dresden from book one on, as well, but I'd prefer to try something new first.

By the way, meant to ask, has anyone read Paul Cornell's book, London Falling? Is it any good? Much like with Aaronovitch, I'm only really familiar with Cornell through his Doctor Who work.

I like both Aaronovitch's and Cornell's series (in fact I like them both more than the Dresden Files), but Cornell's books definitely have a much darker bent to them: Rivers of London has sexy jazz vampires, London Falling has children being sacrificed by getting boiled alive....

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr.48 posted:

I like both Aaronovitch's and Cornell's series (in fact I like them both more than the Dresden Files), but Cornell's books definitely have a much darker bent to them: Rivers of London has sexy jazz vampires, London Falling has children being sacrificed by getting boiled alive....

Also the reveal in Severed Streets that every single human being is going to go to Hell when they die, there is no escaping it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Do the Daniel Faust books get any better? They were pretty highly recommended earlier in the thread but the first few chapters of the first one are pretty awful

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Do the Daniel Faust books get any better? They were pretty highly recommended earlier in the thread but the first few chapters of the first one are pretty awful

They remain mediocre. If the idea of oceans 11-esque plans all coming together (cue the Sinatra with the reveal), they're reasonable enough, but the character depth and development are lacking at best. Some things I find particularly jarring, like the Succubus and Faust's interactions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just read through Turncoat. SPOILERIFIC impressions incoming, please let me know if I'm not getting something:

There's a murder mystery involving the council. You'd think this a chance to play with the genre a bit, maybe change up the format, but it's a perfectly formulaic Dresden book. I'm pretty sure the bit where they gather forensic evidence doesn't play into the solution at all?

The council characters are all so brilliant and well developed that not a single one of them can be lost. Instead, the murderer is the one guy we've never seen before (Was he in some sidequel / comic or whatever?) and who was a dick to Harry from the very start. I kinda had him pegged as a red herring if only because he was such an obvious suspect. (Well, as obvious as someone with no personality or motivation can be)

When preparing to reveal this guy as a traitor in the middle of a huge room packed to the brim with innocent bystanders, Harry prepares by not preparing in any way whatsoever so as to make the reveal a surprise to everyone involved. (Correction - he actually reveals the traitors identity to his mentor, one of the most powerful wizards in existence - who in turn does absolutely nothing to prepare for possible resistance). When the traitor manages to kill forty to fifty (!!!) wizards, the notion of "this might be kinda sorta entirely my fault" doesn't even blip on Harry's mental radar.

Butcher is kinda terrible at establishing the rules for his world, and the bit where Harry and Luccia discuss why the council doesn't do more to curb abuse of magic is... terrible as usual. The logical leap from "a suggestion we slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse - something we already to" to "then we'd have to invade the United States" is baffling. As is the notion that such an inevitable step would break up the council, since members retain loyalty to their nations, but WWII (or any war whatsoever) would not, is... what am I not getting here?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Velius posted:

They remain mediocre. If the idea of oceans 11-esque plans all coming together (cue the Sinatra with the reveal), they're reasonable enough, but the character depth and development are lacking at best. Some things I find particularly jarring, like the Succubus and Faust's interactions.

Mostly the actual writing is dire for me so far. The character just kinda pinballs around locations and all the dialog reminds me of the kind of stuff I wrote when I was 16. The talk with the half demon guy right at the start is a good example.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xander77 posted:

The logical leap from "a suggestion we slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse - something we already to" to "then we'd have to invade the United States" is baffling.

It's more "If we should have intervened and destroyed Germany in WWII for their unquestionably evil bullshit(which was Harry's idea), then we should have intervened and destroyed America back when the US was doing their unquestionably evil Trail of Tears bullshit" and Harry's response to this was basically "But America's not the worst and I'm an American and of course I wouldn't attack America!".

Luccio's point was that most all wizards feel that way about their country and that that's why the White Council doesn't take sides. It would lead to dissension and desertion and the White Council would splinter, and that's a bad outcome for everybody. lovely as it is, the White Council is a major stabilizing influence in the world.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Just read through Turncoat. SPOILERIFIC impressions incoming, please let me know if I'm not getting something:

There's a murder mystery involving the council. You'd think this a chance to play with the genre a bit, maybe change up the format, but it's a perfectly formulaic Dresden book. I'm pretty sure the bit where they gather forensic evidence doesn't play into the solution at all?

The council characters are all so brilliant and well developed that not a single one of them can be lost. Instead, the murderer is the one guy we've never seen before (Was he in some sidequel / comic or whatever?) and who was a dick to Harry from the very start. I kinda had him pegged as a red herring if only because he was such an obvious suspect. (Well, as obvious as someone with no personality or motivation can be)

When preparing to reveal this guy as a traitor in the middle of a huge room packed to the brim with innocent bystanders, Harry prepares by not preparing in any way whatsoever so as to make the reveal a surprise to everyone involved. (Correction - he actually reveals the traitors identity to his mentor, one of the most powerful wizards in existence - who in turn does absolutely nothing to prepare for possible resistance). When the traitor manages to kill forty to fifty (!!!) wizards, the notion of "this might be kinda sorta entirely my fault" doesn't even blip on Harry's mental radar.

Butcher is kinda terrible at establishing the rules for his world, and the bit where Harry and Luccia discuss why the council doesn't do more to curb abuse of magic is... terrible as usual. The logical leap from "a suggestion we slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse - something we already to" to "then we'd have to invade the United States" is baffling. As is the notion that such an inevitable step would break up the council, since members retain loyalty to their nations, but WWII (or any war whatsoever) would not, is... what am I not getting here?

Peabody's been in the background- mentioned, but in the background- a few times. His innocuousness is played up for a reason- bureaucrats are a mild annoyance at best in terms of attention paid.

I'm pretty sure accusing the guy in front of the entire senior council minus maybe one or two (I can't remember, it's been a while) was plenty of precaution, and given the mind-bendy nature of the guy's work, Harry couldn't trust that he wouldn't hear him warning others about what he was going to do. Harry can hardly be held responsible for the guy dropping that much freaking mordite in the room.

The leap wasn't from "slightly expand the scope in which we police magical abuse" to "invade the US." The leap was from "We should be world police" to "well, then the US would not have survived the mistreatment of the natives, which would have alienated the wizards from that country," and on and on. Wasn't WWII mentioned as being a particular strain, and the Council's neutrality being the only thing that held it together?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The part about Harry that always bothered me was what a dick he was to everyone who didn't buy that magic is real. He is a part of a huge conspiracy to hide the whole supernatural world and could at any moment convince pretty much anyone beyond any reasonable doubt that magic was real but nah. Look at these sheeple, how can they be so blind! Ugh... Skeptics. Yeah you don't get to have that kind of an attitude when you could just fart out a few fireballs but choose not to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

apostateCourier posted:

Wasn't WWII mentioned as being a particular strain, and the Council's neutrality being the only thing that held it together?

I think the Council spent most of WWII trying to stop the Kemmlerites, who'd sided with the Nazis, right?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

I'm pretty sure accusing the guy in front of the entire senior council minus maybe one or two (I can't remember, it's been a while) was plenty of precaution, and given the mind-bendy nature of the guy's work, Harry couldn't trust that he wouldn't hear him warning others about what he was going to do. Harry can hardly be held responsible for the guy dropping that much freaking mordite in the room

Dresden had already warned McCoy and a couple of wardens though, but all they did was gather evidence. The sensible thing would have been for them to just ambush Peabody and debate the issue when Peabody was under control somehow.

Dresden couldn't have known that Peabody would have a jar of mordite on his desk, but he should have realized that a cornered traitor would do *something* nasty if given half a chance. They picked the worst possible way of revealing him as a traitor, and the only reason to do it like that was to make it more dramatic.

General Emergency posted:

The part about Harry that always bothered me was what a dick he was to everyone who didn't buy that magic is real. He is a part of a huge conspiracy to hide the whole supernatural world and could at any moment convince pretty much anyone beyond any reasonable doubt that magic was real but nah. Look at these sheeple, how can they be so blind! Ugh... Skeptics. Yeah you don't get to have that kind of an attitude when you could just fart out a few fireballs but choose not to.

That always annoyed me as well. Dresden goes to a lot of trouble to "promote wizardry" by appearing on TV, printing pamphlets and advertising as a real wizard, but refuses to do the slightest bit of magic to prove that he's an actual wizard. It's also odd that the council allows him to carry on like that, given that they're rather fond of secrecy.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just assume that the council gave him an off-screen warning prior to the start of the books to not use any magic in any way that could reach a large group of people. Or hey, maybe Dresden has tried before but it always gets explained away within a week ex. the toad rain in Summer Knight.

Either way it would be nice if he just had a throwaway line explaining why he hasn't just shown people magic in an effort to get them to believe by now.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

sirtommygunn posted:

I just assume that the council gave him an off-screen warning prior to the start of the books to not use any magic in any way that could reach a large group of people. Or hey, maybe Dresden has tried before but it always gets explained away within a week ex. the toad rain in Summer Knight.

Either way it would be nice if he just had a throwaway line explaining why he hasn't just shown people magic in an effort to get them to believe by now.

I know on Larry Flower show and all other tv related stuff the reason is he destroys all the cameras by doing something simple with magic. So they can't really record him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

General Emergency posted:

I totally agree. It was especially bad in the first book with Butters.

I don't know if it's fair, but it made sense to to me when I learned that Butcher comes from a fundamentalist Christian background. Oh, of course he's able to simultaneously sing the praises of having faith and call people sheep for wanting evidence before they change their beliefs.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

apostateCourier posted:

I'm pretty sure accusing the guy in front of the entire senior council minus maybe one or two (I can't remember, it's been a while) was plenty of precaution, and given the mind-bendy nature of the guy's work, Harry couldn't trust that he wouldn't hear him warning others about what he was going to do. Harry can hardly be held responsible for the guy dropping that much freaking mordite in the room.

I'm pretty sure accusing him in front of all of assembled wizards was to placate the factions who would think the senior council or the merlin were sweeping it under the rug to save the councils lap dog (morgan). The Merlin even brings it up in the conversation with Harry early in the book that knowing who did it (or didn't in the case of Morgan) means nothing, the proof to all the members of the council that it was someone else had to be irrefutable and that person must be caught or it would mean nothing and Morgan would hang.

Given Harry's personality it makes sense he would stand before everyone and produce his evidence at the trial to ensure all knew without a doubt whodunit and why it wasn't Morgan.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

The way the Loup-garrou evidence was handled suggests that there is a group working behind the scenes to keep the public skeptical.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the Council spent most of WWII trying to stop the Kemmlerites, who'd sided with the Nazis, right?

I think that's got less to do with the fact that they're Nazi allies, than that they're necromancers, which a) the Council will not permit and b) lets the Council rightly claim that they're not taking sides in the mere mortal war, but stomping out a magical evil. Also I think that might have been Kemmler himself they were trying to stop; dude took a lot of killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Kemmler was WW1