Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Pretty sure Kemper Varas is still alive. PTN has hinted that he wasn't actually in the pilot seat when his Mountain Lion got its head blown off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Paul Masters will return

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
He had such bad luck with those cluster hits.

Given that its been years may we know if he drowned or not yet, PTN? Maybe he got amnesia?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Would like to delurk and cast a vote for option 3A for everyone's favorite black samurai.

Could you also add me to the pilot list please?

Redacted

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 6, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Voting 3A.

I'm still patiently awaiting my turn at 'MECH MADNESS. Reading the thread is exciting enough...I especially liked the pirates. Every time the Blackjack fired its 9,000 machine guns I couldn't wait to find out how many crits it piled up!

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Charger and Marauder for MVP

3 B. Got to go fast!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Seeing James Sandoval on the list of guys made me briefly recall one of my biggest gripes: the way that he almost immediately descended into age-related dementia just in time for the FCCW and how often that seems to happen. The average life expectancy on a FS world of "haves" is over 100 years old and if they're not any better at diagnosing and treating age-related neurological degradation than we are today, that planet must be a loving nightmare of shambling corpses in bathrobes claiming to be your grandfather.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Defiance Industries posted:

Seeing James Sandoval on the list of guys made me briefly recall one of my biggest gripes: the way that he almost immediately descended into age-related dementia just in time for the FCCW and how often that seems to happen. The average life expectancy on a FS world of "haves" is over 100 years old and if they're not any better at diagnosing and treating age-related neurological degradation than we are today, that planet must be a loving nightmare of shambling corpses in bathrobes claiming to be your grandfather.

That's one of the challenges when you're trying to do feudal-style leadership combined with modern medicine in a setting whose timeframe spans over decades - you basically end up with a gerontocracy. That's not so good for pulpy space-opera writers who wants to write about dashing young Space-Prince heroes, especially if people aren't ascending to real power until they're 65 because their parents lived to 90.

I'm no expert on the Battletech setting, but a look at the wiki seems to show most nobility dying prematurely from war, assassination, unlikely disease, or really anything that can get them out of the way so the next generation of characters can take over already. The exception appears to be the end of the Jihad to Dark Ages gap, which some characters actually lived long enough to bridge, presumably to lend the series some sense of continuity.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dolash posted:

That's one of the challenges when you're trying to do feudal-style leadership combined with modern medicine in a setting whose timeframe spans over decades - you basically end up with a gerontocracy. That's not so good for pulpy space-opera writers who wants to write about dashing young Space-Prince heroes, especially if people aren't ascending to real power until they're 65 because their parents lived to 90.

Could easily be solved by writing in a sort of cultural norm that Dashing Young Space Prince/sses are given their first fief when they come of age, conveniently always one that is in a spot of trouble so daddy can see how they shape up in solving Leadership Problems. Coupled with another cultural norm that a ruler abdicates in favor of their successor if they are directly related and the successor is a) remotely capable and b) over the age of, say, 30.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Unless you institute Logan's Run, kings and queens tend not to give up power until it's pried from their cold, dead fingers (assuming they're real royalty and not like the novelty peacocks kept by modern European states). Besides, then you'd have the problem of all these powerful, experienced and influential nobility retiring at 55 and then doing what for the next 40 years? Jazzercise? They'd probably just spend it backseat driving the kingdom.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Player MVP - Blackjack
OpFor MVP - Dragon

Political/Combat Vote: 3A

That was an amazing scenario, thanks PTN as always.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

I'm no expert on the Battletech setting, but a look at the wiki seems to show most nobility dying prematurely from war, assassination, unlikely disease, or really anything that can get them out of the way so the next generation of characters can take over already. The exception appears to be the end of the Jihad to Dark Ages gap, which some characters actually lived long enough to bridge, presumably to lend the series some sense of continuity

I mean, they could have just killed him off since he was supposedly still dealing with the health repercussions of having his legs blown off by Capellans in the 3rd Succession War. The expectation that political leaders also fight with armies and poo poo helps weed out a lot of characters anyway. I took particular issue with the fact that he conveniently descended into senility at just the right time to give the Combine something to do during the FCCW besides fight the Ghost Bears in a side story, and also that he needed to be deposed by Tancred just as George Hasek got rolling to preserve the "one good Duke, one bad Duke" FS storyline that has never really gone anywhere but needs to exist.

ArchangeI posted:

Could easily be solved by writing in a sort of cultural norm that Dashing Young Space Prince/sses are given their first fief when they come of age, conveniently always one that is in a spot of trouble so daddy can see how they shape up in solving Leadership Problems. Coupled with another cultural norm that a ruler abdicates in favor of their successor if they are directly related and the successor is a) remotely capable and b) over the age of, say, 30.

Doesn't even need fixing in three out of five houses. In the FS you have to serve in the military to be eligible for the throne, the LC instituted conscription at the beginning of the Succession Wars and never repealed it and in the DC the Coordinator's son is expected to prove martial prowess. Space Prince is out with his band of dudes fighting the good fight or whatever poo poo all the time as it stands anyway.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 3, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Voting currently stands as follows:

Who should lead the Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Teams on Chatham?
1) Field Marshal Duke James Sandoval (1 Vote)
2) Warlord Marcus Kurita (2 Votes)
3) Warlord Minobu Tetsuhara (42 Votes)
4) Warlord Hirushi Shotugama (2 Votes)
5) Warlord Kester Hsiun Chi (0 Votes)
6) Theodore Kurita (4 Votes)
7) Ardan Sortek (1 Vote)

Who do we fight as?
A) 1st Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Team (43 Votes)
B) Clan Hell’s Horses Delta Galaxy “The Lightning Riders” - 71st Mechanized Cavalry Cluster “Thunderstrike” (10 Votes)

Can you say 'landslide'?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A vote for 'A' is a vote for me getting Eponas. And Donars.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hahahaha yessssssssssssssssss.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They make for better enemies. HH is the only Clan that I hate fighting against. So much bullshit in such a small package. Everybody deserves to suffer through that at least once.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thus the way I voted!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Voting currently stands as follows:

Who should lead the Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Teams on Chatham?
1) Field Marshal Duke James Sandoval (1 Vote)
2) Warlord Marcus Kurita (2 Votes)
3) Warlord Minobu Tetsuhara (42 Votes)
4) Warlord Hirushi Shotugama (2 Votes)
5) Warlord Kester Hsiun Chi (0 Votes)
6) Theodore Kurita (4 Votes)
7) Ardan Sortek (1 Vote)

Who do we fight as?
A) 1st Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Team (43 Votes)
B) Clan Hell’s Horses Delta Galaxy “The Lightning Riders” - 71st Mechanized Cavalry Cluster “Thunderstrike” (10 Votes)

Can you say 'landslide'?

Let us hope it is a landslide for the Clans, all over Kuritan faces.

I kid. I wish the players the best of luck. Even if they're playing the bad guys.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

Let us hope it is a landslide for the Clans, all over Kuritan faces.

I kid. I wish the players the best of luck. Even if they're playing the bad guys.

The Clans are the guys invented to make the Kuritas seem less bad by comparison, mang

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The Clans are the guys invented to make the Kuritas seem less bad by comparison, mang

Victory by the Inner Sphere represents the same static boringness of the OTL, so I'm rooting for Clan Victory. It's the same reason I vote for House Marik to split into a thousand pieces forever (and ever) and the death of that office worker and his girlfriend via orbital bombardment on their honeymoon.

In Battletech, there are no good guys, even among the audience.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Victory by the Inner Sphere represents the same static boringness of the OTL, so I'm rooting for Clan Victory. It's the same reason I vote for House Marik to split into a thousand pieces forever (and ever) and the death of that office worker and his girlfriend via orbital bombardment on their honeymoon.

In Battletech, there are no good guys, even among the audience.

Clan victory is the ultimate in static boring though since their entire system is designed to prevent major catastrophe from ever happening. Just running around and having slap fights while they talk about how cool they are and how they don't have to listen to their moms tell them to go do homework.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

And yet Mechwarrior 2 spawned a ton of clan loving fans that know essentially nothing about the fluff, I was one of these until this thread. Now I love the clans, but understand the hate and why (both in the fluff and the tabletop) the IS is potentially more interesting.

I still want to see the clans sort-of win this whole thing, but in a not so crazy-in-the-head way.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 3, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Wars of Reaving resulted from a Clan loss and that was the only time they were ever interesting, sooo...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clan victory is the ultimate in static boring though since their entire system is designed to prevent major catastrophe from ever happening. Just running around and having slap fights while they talk about how cool they are and how they don't have to listen to their moms tell them to go do homework.

Knowing about Nicky K from this thread suddenly makes the Clans interesting to me, because so much of their bullshit is, canonically, from one whiney little army brat trying to build his ultra-cool goon club where no-one is allowed to use weapons that he's bad at and everyone plays by the rules that make it easier for him to win and tells him he's the coolest because his daddy was so awesome.

Basically, the Clans are made entirely of exactly the worst kind of nerds and that is hilarious to me. Basically, they are made up of exactly the same kind of player that would insist on playing nothing but Clanners, ever.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 3, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Wars of Reaving resulted from a Clan loss and that was the only time they were ever interesting, sooo...

I have another plan in the works to "make the Clans more interesting." Simply shaking up which ones were invading was just phase 1.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Clan revanchism is the best thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have another plan in the works to "make the Clans more interesting." Simply shaking up which ones were invading was just phase 1.

Is it converting the damage on their weapons to the IS equivalent? That would be a big up.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Society gets their poo poo in gear and murders the gently caress out of the Jade Falcons?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Clans are just big babies who can't sleep at night without their night lights and security blanket.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Player MVP - Blackjack because DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
OpFor MVP - Shadow Hawk for being a pain in the rear end that wouldn't die

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
MVPs: Blackjack and Dragon

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I didn't mean Clan Victory overall, but rather Clan Victory in the battle to hold Luthien. I'm not in favor of the Clans conquering the Inner Sphere, but I am in favor of old static set pieces from the canon being changed into other things. I'm sick of Marik coming back and think it should become something else, just like there's no reason why House Kurita needs to be a thing. Shake things up, make things different. I just got so sick of the Battletech story reversing to the old players over and over again.

How would we feel if the history of Earth was just The Akkadian Empire, the Egyptians, the Mayans, Rome and Han China over and over and over again?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

There are no good guys here. We're either playing Space Mongols Only Stupider, or we're playing Space Racist Caricatures Of The Japanese Only Now They're Led By One Of The Biggest Mary Sues In The Canon. Whoever wins, we lose. In a winning kind of way.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's a case of going 'Wheeee! dakka daka dakka!' in fast, well armed but fragile stuff, or 'Trundle trundle trundle BOOM' in slower but heavily armoured stuff with weaker guns. I know what I'd find more fun.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are no good guys here. We're either playing Space Mongols Only Stupider, or we're playing Space Racist Caricatures Of The Japanese Only Now They're Led By One Of The Biggest Mary Sues In The Canon. Whoever wins, we lose. In a winning kind of way.

I think PTN's done very well in offering chances to look past the setting stereotypes, and I think it's a disservice to encumber the LP with that kind of characterization.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

It's a case of going 'Wheeee! dakka daka dakka!' in fast, well armed but fragile stuff, or 'Trundle trundle trundle BOOM' in slower but heavily armoured stuff with weaker guns. I know what I'd find more fun.

One of the IS options is the Mobile Long Tom.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I want the clans to take, and hold, a section of the IS. That way they can improve the infrastructure for the citizens but also the other castes get to contribute to society and the associated friction with the warrior caste that this causes.

Basically I want a new IS power that comes with its own struggles that aren't the same "boo hoo we're in the dark ages and life is poo poo" all the other states seem to have, but new social friction that isn't (quite) the same nobles/peasants stuff. And it comes with the added bonus of citizens that want to move in for better quality of life but have to deal with the social poo poo, and how the other states deal with that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the IS options is the Mobile Long Tom.

Incredibly slow, fragile but obscenely huge multihex-hitting gun, duly noted. (I hope whoever gets this was paying attention to PTN's Artillery advisory last scenario!)

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Incredibly slow, fragile but obscenely huge multihex-hitting gun, duly noted. (I hope whoever gets this was paying attention to PTN's Artillery advisory last scenario!)

This must be picked. It'll be funny when it scatters into empty space every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

This must be picked. It'll be funny when it scatters into empty space every turn.

There's something special I'll need to set up if anyone does choose it, and I've gotta limit the option to individuals with forum PMs, but since I'll be needing a non-playing volunteer anyway for one specific thing it should work out OK.

• Locked thread