Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It is indeed fantastic but I love MBMBaM too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bango skank posted:

Never listened to My Brother & Etc but I think I'll check this out.

The first ep is a bit slow, just to warn you. They really hit their stride in this last one though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

this is gonna be good

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Dude, I was at the live recording. That episode is like four years old. And yeah, it is good.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

this is gonna be good
Am I supposed to know who they are portraying?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's Adomian as Hunter S. Thompson and Besser as Philip K. Dick.

j8910 posted:

Dude, I was at the live recording. That episode is like four years old. And yeah, it is good.

Yeah, the description says it's "from the vaults".

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

It's Adomian as Hunter S. Thompson and Besser as Philip K. Dick.

Yeah, the description says it's "from the vaults".
This is out now for anyone who cares, by the way.

I am not at all surprised to learn that Adomian is a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

His Thompson is really fun too. Very much a Johnny Depp adjacent performance.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

His Thompson is really fun too. Very much a Johnny Depp adjacent performance.
I've tried listening to some of Thompson's interviews/lectures/whatever and he sounds exactly like this. Maybe slightly more mumbly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

I've tried listening to some of Thompson's interviews/lectures/whatever and he sounds exactly like this. Maybe slightly more mumbly.
I am a huge HST fan and yeah, his impression is drat near perfect. My only real complaint is that he does not fly into a real, violent, terrifying rage at the drop of a hat.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Hari Kondabolu on The Champs is an underrated episode of an underrated podcast, and is probably going to make me run back through older episodes I only heard once.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm a big fan of maximum fun podcasts and lately they've just had unending ads for their video experiment "Brain and Lindsay will totally eat that", which didn't sound like my cup of tea but since I like Jesse Thorn so much I went and have the pilot a shot. It's just... so bad.

I don't even know what the gently caress they were thinking, why they think this is a product worth pushing, much less something you'd actually pony up to kickstarter for. It's two twenty-something's being perky and stating the obvious " Boy this junk food is bad " for three minutes. Am I crazy and this is actually really good? I just feel terrible for everyone involved.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

greatn posted:

Jesse Thorn ... so bad

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I'm a big fan of maximum fun podcasts and lately they've just had unending ads for their video experiment "Brain and Lindsay will totally eat that", which didn't sound like my cup of tea but since I like Jesse Thorn so much I went and have the pilot a shot. It's just... so bad.

I don't even know what the gently caress they were thinking, why they think this is a product worth pushing, much less something you'd actually pony up to kickstarter for. It's two twenty-something's being perky and stating the obvious " Boy this junk food is bad " for three minutes. Am I crazy and this is actually really good? I just feel terrible for everyone involved.

Sweet, any other old AV Club features I can pay to watch Maximum Fun recreate?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I tried listening to Sawbones because the premise sounds really good - a podcast about weird medical history, with one of the hosts being an actual doctor. Except the whole drat show is basically just two fairly unfunny people (though they're probably the funniest people in all of West Virginia) more or less reciting wikipedia articles. Really disappointing

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Riptor posted:

I tried listening to Sawbones because the premise sounds really good - a podcast about weird medical history, with one of the hosts being an actual doctor. Except the whole drat show is basically just two fairly unfunny people (though they're probably the funniest people in all of West Virginia) more or less reciting wikipedia articles. Really disappointing

That sounds like an awful version of the Dollop.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah both of those maxfun shows did not stick with me. I'll just keep digging through the Stop Podcasting Yourself archives tyvm

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

greatn posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress they were thinking, why they think this is a product worth pushing, much less something you'd actually pony up to kickstarter for.
It's a pretty sad-seeming situation. I think they wanted to give Brian & Lindsay (two normally behind-the-scenes maximum fun employees) a creative outlet, but they don't have much to carry it forward other than the aforementioned perkiness.

Riptor posted:

Except the whole drat show is basically just two fairly unfunny people (though they're probably the funniest people in all of West Virginia) more or less reciting wikipedia articles.
Justin is more funny on MBMBAM, though arguably the least funny of the brothers. Sawbones is a pretty annoying schtick.

Similarly, my phone keeps downloading Bunker Buddies episodes but I don't think I want them.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 30, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I've never actually thought about whether I like sawbones, I just keep listening because Losing The Sheen and those modelland episodes of Satellite Dish where so amazing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ChickenArise posted:

That sounds like an awful version of the Dollop.

Speaking of the Dollop: while I remember watching the live one they did at the LA Podfest, I had forgotten how funny Gareth is while singing "Lordy lordy lordy" during that episode. (Evidently it was the poem Charles Guiteau wrote and wanted to sing before they executed him.)

The live one with Patton is also really good.

As for food-related podcasts, since Mike & Tom Eat Snacks still exists, why would anyone want to try and venture into that area? Mike and Tom OWN the snack game.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I really like Brian & Lindsay, and they work so, so hard for MaxFun behind the scenes. Even if you're not thrilled about the pilot, you might wanna consider donating to help MaxFun break into video.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Sivart13 posted:

Justin is more funny on MBMBAM, though arguably the least funny of the brothers. Sawbones is a pretty annoying schtick.

Oh I didn't even realize it was the same guy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Asterios posted:

I really like Brian & Lindsay, and they work so, so hard for MaxFun behind the scenes. Even if you're not thrilled about the pilot, you might wanna consider donating to help MaxFun break into video.

Not if that's what they're gonna put out. Every podcast I've followed that has ventured into video it's been a major mistake.

I really feel if they wanted to try video, number one they should have started with some on air talent, number two they should have had an original or at least interesting concept, and three they should have made it funny.

Jesse says he's going to make them eat bugs if the kickstarter succeeds, but I don't need to see that episode, I already know exactly how it'd go. Today were eating... Bugs!? Gross! Closer up shot of bugs. Calories: ? Protein: You bet! Fiber: Too much! But these are deep fried with spices. Brian are you gonna eat that? Totally! Wow I thought this would be gross but it's pretty tasty once you get past it's bugs. Flavor is good but the shape is gross.

I don't say this as some MaxFun hater, I donate them I think $25 a month.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

greatn posted:

Jesse says he's going to make them eat bugs if the kickstarter succeeds, but I don't need to see that episode, I already know exactly how it'd go.

Tried some while travelling - if they're fried right, they're all crunch and no moisture and basically indistinguishable from a kettle chip if you're not concentrating on appearance, so your script is pretty much bang on.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

greatn posted:

I already know exactly how it'd go. Today were eating... Bugs!? Gross! Closer up shot of bugs. Calories: ? Protein: You bet! Fiber: Too much! But these are deep fried with spices. Brian are you gonna eat that? Totally! Wow I thought this would be gross but it's pretty tasty once you get past it's bugs. Flavor is good but the shape is gross.
What else have you seen through this sorcerer's mirror!? What's Serial season 2?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In season 2 of serial Adnan escapes from prison and kidnaps Sara Koenig because he's guilty as gently caress and a psychopath.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this, I at first thought oh it sounds like he didn't do it, then I thought he did do it, then I was all, I don't even know any more. Does anyone know what the second season will be about, or ideas of what it could be about?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
There is a Serial thread that contains many opinions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680872&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Serial Season 2: Jay Strikes Again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

Not if that's what they're gonna put out. Every podcast I've followed that has ventured into video it's been a major mistake.

I really feel if they wanted to try video, number one they should have started with some on air talent, number two they should have had an original or at least interesting concept, and three they should have made it funny.

Jesse says he's going to make them eat bugs if the kickstarter succeeds, but I don't need to see that episode, I already know exactly how it'd go. Today were eating... Bugs!? Gross! Closer up shot of bugs. Calories: ? Protein: You bet! Fiber: Too much! But these are deep fried with spices. Brian are you gonna eat that? Totally! Wow I thought this would be gross but it's pretty tasty once you get past it's bugs. Flavor is good but the shape is gross.

I don't say this as some MaxFun hater, I donate them I think $25 a month.

Yea I love MaxFun and am also a subscriber but I have just no interest in this, there's so much in the 'we eat WEIRD THINGS' field already and it's always the exact same.

"Eeeew you want me to eat spider?! Ok well I fried it and it tastes like crab kinda. Bugs are gross but also probably gonna be food in the future and that's ok."

"Here's some wacky junk food, chili pepper cherry soda gummies whaaaaaaaaaaat I know these are sold for mass consumption but I bet none of you have heard of THIS zany thing!"

"Here's a food from a brown country WACKY, hm I guess brown people have food too, weird."

Fil5000 posted:

Serial Season 2: Jay Strikes Again

I hope Serial Season 2 covers one of the family members suing NPR for their lovely vulture 'hey middle class bored people I bet YOU can solve this mystery' treatment of an actual crime.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Hey guys, I haven't posted about it here in a while, but this week on my podcast "Selena Gomez" and I talked about No Such Thing as a Fish episode 44 which was probably the most highly requested suggestion here on SA, so I thought I'd give the heads up. I was recently sick and without a voice for more than a month and my voice is still not 100% back to normal yet so it might sound a little rough, but I think this is one of the best episodes yet. NSTAAF was a great call, my daughter loved it.

As always any suggestions would be great! I'm working on getting some adult cohosts on the show once in a while so suggestions don't necessarily have to be kid-friendly any more.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like the new artwork Greggy.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Drunkboxer posted:

I like the new artwork Greggy.

Thanks yeah me too, beats the hell out of the 20 seconds in Paint that I had before.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Holy poo poo this last ep of the dollop. Everyone on the buss must be convinced I'm a crazy person now. I haven't laughed at a podcast so much in forever.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

FYI Rory Scovel is on Todd Glass this week. Only 30 mins or so in, but there basically isn't a preachy part and it's been good thus far.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Chicken Sandwich

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

FYI Rory Scovel is on Todd Glass this week. Only 30 mins or so in, but there basically isn't a preachy part and it's been good thus far.

Scovel kills as always, mild prank phone calls segment was incredible. Todd's story about looking so young that a maid mistook him for a puddle of cum was just the right level of dumb to be brilliant.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Greggy, what you & Billy Corigan did was very odd. I was not expecting to hear my show referenced! I hope you enjoyed the subject matter. :P

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It will be interesting to see how many new listeners greggy gets from the Hollywood Handbook bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Or how many HH get from the Greggy bump.

• Locked thread