Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Having Zeref being the teacher and indirectly responsible for making Fairy Tail is a nice touch. Dont think I remembered that from the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Chapter - http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/417

This is possibly my favorite all-time issue of Fairy Tail.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Silent chapters are such a treat to (not) read.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wow when was the last time we even saw Gildartz?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Rodyle posted:

Wow when was the last time we even saw Gildartz?

In a side manga that retcons his involvement into Grey's backstory.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Ok just read chapter 416..... WHAT KIND OF CRAZY REVEAL WAS THAT? Holy hell! I'm gonna be honest, I've been slightly leaning away from fairy tail a bit these past couple arcs, didn't really feel the story was moving much or something, but man that chapter! Now I'm really pumped to see what all happens next with everyone.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

cyrus_zane posted:

Now I'm really pumped to see what all happens next with everyone.

A girls' bath fanservice omake, of course. :allears:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
So to wrap it all up:

Zeref teaches Mavis magic then kills her (accidentally or something).
Creates E.N.D who is actually Natsu the strongest demon, who is currently in hibernation or something, to kill him.
Tartus wants to awaken E.N.D by destroying all magic in the world.
Grey wants to destroy E.N.D because... I don't know.

I don't get the dragons being inside their slayers, what actually happened to them at the end? What does Igneel have to do with E.N.D, are they connected?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Suspicious Lump posted:

What does Igneel have to do with E.N.D, are they connected?

I mean yeah kind of

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Suspicious Lump posted:

So to wrap it all up:

Zeref teaches Mavis magic then kills her (accidentally or something).
Creates E.N.D who is actually Natsu the strongest demon, who is currently in hibernation or something, to kill him.
Tartus wants to awaken E.N.D by destroying all magic in the world.
Grey wants to destroy E.N.D because... I don't know.

I don't get the dragons being inside their slayers, what actually happened to them at the end? What does Igneel have to do with E.N.D, are they connected?

Grey wants to destroy E.N.D because he promised his father he would.

Igneel and the other dragons were inside their slayers to work some magic that would prevent them from becoming crazy dragons and to make sure they got a shot at killing Acnologia before they passed on. Igneel has no connection with E.N.D other then the fact he was unable to kill him and was defeated by him. E.N.D appears to be feared by Acnologia as well. Igneel also apparently raised E.N.D aka Natsu after the book was sealed.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'm surprised Mashima didn't have the dragon excising power up the dragon slayers. He could have written it that surpressing the dragon transformation also dampened their powers and now they've removed that limiter.

This is bad, but I've forgotten if face ever got activated and if it did, did Natsu lose his magic?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Face's magic removal apparently wasn't permanent, and the dragons wrecked them all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Face was in the process of activating when the Dragons went killdozer on it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zogundar posted:

A girls' bath fanservice omake, of course. :allears:
Well
:shepface:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
New chapter is out.

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/418/2674/1
or
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/418

Natsu got even more ridiculously strong. Actually glad they didn't do some silly fanservice omake.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Myurton posted:

New chapter is out.

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/418/2674/1
or
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/418

Natsu got even more ridiculously strong. Actually glad they didn't do some silly fanservice omake.

I bet it's nothing compared to his power as an ancient Demon. Honestly I am looking at him very differently now that we know he is a Demon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Expect an even bigger tonne of filler when the anime reaches that point though.

Personally wish we'd gotten more chapters to cover the timeskip in general, see what everyone else was up to, but I suppose the angle here is to have a story on getting the band back together. I actually like the notion of Lucy having gotten a job that (she had hoped) would let her keep aware of her friends. Pegged it was Natsu from the get go, though the general image of the heatwave was kinda cool. Wonder what that means for the likes of Gajeel though. I mean... Iron Wave?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Myurton posted:

Actually glad they didn't do some silly fanservice omake.

No, that wasn't a joke, they really did that. It's in between 416 and 417 on readms.

As for the latest chapter,

Normally I don't care about this sort of thing but I like Lucy's latest hair redesign (Naturally she will probably change it twice before the arc finishes.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

Wonder what that means for the likes of Gajeel though. I mean... Iron Wave?

Absolute zero for gray I suppose and Gajeel is a bit different since he's not based on a phenomena like heat, but on a material - so....maybe different types of metal with different properties? Or just carbon or something? Mr. Gajeel, him diamond!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

tsob posted:

Absolute zero for gray I suppose and Gajeel is a bit different since he's not based on a phenomena like heat, but on a material - so....maybe different types of metal with different properties? Or just carbon or something? Mr. Gajeel, him diamond!

Didn't Gajeel's last powerup have him do steel based moves instead of iron? I could easily see diamond happening.

Zogundar posted:

No, that wasn't a joke, they really did that. It's in between 416 and 417 on readms.

I took it as refusing to acknowledge the omake's existance. :shrug:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Didn't Gajeel's last powerup have him do steel based moves instead of iron? I could easily see diamond happening.

I took it as refusing to acknowledge the omake's existance. :shrug:

The steel thing was from absorbing carbon. He's not going to somehow lose all of his iron, and it would be really dumb if he did.

Also Lucy owns and it would have been nice to have had a few more chapters with her on her own before Natsu showed back up to hog the spotlight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is it going to turn out that Lucy is the only Fairy Tail member who didn't spend the last year getting stronger? Not that her magic particularly calls for it. She does seem to be following along in the One Piece style of post time skip power up though. Hope someone has some magic for her aching back.

And of course I went right from a claim about a lack of fan service omake to half a chapter of fan service. Fairy Tail never changes, though there's less of a chance of sweet dragons now, which is bad.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Huh guess I never noticed the fanservice chapter then.

As for the other members of Fairy Tail it's obvious that this will be a type of road trip story line.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Is it going to turn out that Lucy is the only Fairy Tail member who didn't spend the last year getting stronger? Not that her magic particularly calls for it.

Lucy doesn't need to get stronger, but I think her personal strength increasing improves her summoning. She can have more out longer, and I think she can buff them too. You could have both if she were instead a freelance traveling reporter that occasionally gets into struggles herself. She's writing/investigating the other's whereabouts, and getting stronger.

But we all know she'll have somehow increased her strength because reasons.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kuroyama posted:

Lucy doesn't need to get stronger, but I think her personal strength increasing improves her summoning. She can have more out longer, and I think she can buff them too. You could have both if she were instead a freelance traveling reporter that occasionally gets into struggles herself. She's writing/investigating the other's whereabouts, and getting stronger.

But we all know she'll have somehow increased her strength because reasons.

Magic in the Fairy Tail universe seems to run on friendship, so spending a year building a stalker collage should give her a pretty big power boost.

Between the Omake and the attack that melts women's clothes off I think we may have hit peak fanservice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was really kind of hoping for at least one of the background spectators to freak out about clothes melting because that's not how cloth works.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

The steel thing was from absorbing carbon. He's not going to somehow lose all of his iron, and it would be really dumb if he did.

Nah he'll never lose iron, it'll be just another move to call back on like the shadow dragon powers he absorbed. Like Natsu and his (element) fire dragon fist moves.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gajeel is probably going to go full fantasy and upgrade to things like Dark Iron, Mithril, or Adamantium.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Gyges posted:

Gajeel is probably going to go full fantasy and upgrade to things like Dark Iron, Mithril, or Adamantium.

What about modern alloys like Titanium?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do you mean modern alloys of Titanium?

Gajeel owns anyway. It's weird how shonen always seems to bend toward the main character having the least interesting personality and powers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It's weird how shonen always seems to bend toward the main character having the least interesting personality and powers.

Least interesting personality, maybe, but I don't agree about powers. Luffy's rubber body and Naruto's Shadow Clones are pretty interesting, for example. In this particular case, I'm not sure why Gajeel's powers are any more interesting than Natsu's.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Avulsion posted:

Between the Omake and the attack that melts women's clothes off I think we may have hit peak fanservice.

Peak fanservice was a while ago, never forget the Legend of the Flying Naked People

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Least interesting personality, maybe, but I don't agree about powers. Luffy's rubber body and Naruto's Shadow Clones are pretty interesting, for example. In this particular case, I'm not sure why Gajeel's powers are any more interesting than Natsu's.

Gajeel can also play the guitar and scat.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Gajeel can also play the guitar and scat.

And he has the best cat.

Why isn't Gajeel the main character again? Or at least give him a spin-off.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Gajeel or Gujeel?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

84.79% of the time it's better if you ignore whatever romanization the author chooses. Spelling is hard enough for many English speakers, let alone Japanese dudes with what appears to be insane schedules based around 3 hours of sleep and cartons of cigarets.

More importantly he's not near Levy. My mighty shipping heart is broken.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

More importantly he's not near Levy. My mighty shipping heart is broken.

If I were to peg anyone for hooking up during the skip, it would've been those two.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Gyges posted:

84.79% of the time it's better if you ignore whatever romanization the author chooses. Spelling is hard enough for many English speakers, let alone Japanese dudes with what appears to be insane schedules based around 3 hours of sleep and cartons of cigarets.

Yeah, when it comes to author spelling, sometimes it's best to take things with some healthy grains of salt.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gyges posted:

Interestingly Mashima is one of those rare authors that is either secretly a robot or has way more free time than he should have by any right, given he has the time to draw random stuff for twitter, manage a magazine, write a side story and whatever else catches his fancy at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kuroyama posted:

If I were to peg anyone for hooking up during the skip, it would've been those two.
Nah Gajeel's ... uh, iron dragon powers ... are more immediately roused to action by trying to keep up with Natsu than poor Levy.

I'm kinda glad it looks like Grey/Juvia appear to be a couple? That is sort of sweet, and also will hopefully lead to less creepy Juvia ... Doing things with a Grey doll chapters.

• Locked thread