Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Male of the Century posted:

The best part of this idea is weight of the land during bombs :getin:

Sumo stomp during bombs. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

bleuraindrops posted:

Oh man I assumed the pose would be the same as the ahriman mount but female lalas lie on their stomach while riding the ADS mount :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvTmtUFFmo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF14 needs more quests named after Queen songs. This is all we've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSetfycYLFo

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fister Roboto posted:

FF14 needs more quests named after Queen songs. This is all we've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSetfycYLFo

Judgement Bolts and Lightning (Ramuh EX)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bleuraindrops posted:

Oh man I assumed the pose would be the same as the ahriman mount but female lalas lie on their stomach while riding the ADS mount :3:

Also you can cast Low Voltage!

How long does it take to get the 200 wins for that mount?

Once I finish my relic grind, I'm thinking of going and fiddling around with PvP. I have literally not once touched PvP in this game and have no idea what frontlines even play like.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Let's say roughly 15 minutes to queue (and that's unrealistically short in my experience as Maelstrom), 20 minutes a match and that you somehow win half your matches (again, a bit unlikely being three factions).

About 40 days of 4 hour sessions non stop PvPing or queuing. And that's being generous. I'm not bothering, personally.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Kettlepip posted:

Let's say roughly 15 minutes to queue (and that's unrealistically short in my experience as Maelstrom), 20 minutes a match and that you somehow win half your matches (again, a bit unlikely being three factions).

About 40 days of 4 hour sessions non stop PvPing or queuing. And that's being generous. I'm not bothering, personally.

Also I don't know what slaughter matches you've been doing that take 20 minutes when the max time is 15 and they often end in 10 or less.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Slaughter takes 5 or 15 minutes to complete (24 and 72 player timers) and usually have 10~ minute queues, at least on Adders.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Belzac posted:

Also I don't know what slaughter matches you've been doing that take 20 minutes when the max time is 15 and they often end in 10 or less.

How do I unlock PvP roulette? Or Slaughter for that matter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Truga posted:

Lost City of Amdapor is still my favourite music/dungeon combo in this game, followed by Pharos Sirius.

Hardflox's music is nice. Outside of combat it's like someone's playing the music through an old radio then you get in to battle and they swap over to their new 5.1 surround sound system and now you can hear everything loud and clear.

Rei_ posted:

Judgement Bolts and Lightning (Ramuh EX)

That's a reference, not a song title. :eng101:

The quest needed to be the opening for a questline that leads in to a Tactics Ogre-themed 24 man raid. I want to fight Lans Tartare and the rest of the Lodis Knights in a massive and glorious battle royale. They can even have a hard enrage that wipes your party via Dragon Magic. :black101:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming you've unlocked Frontlines at all, you can unlock slaughter by talking to a dude in your grand company headquarters with a little exclamation point over his head.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Once I finish my relic grind, I'm thinking of going and fiddling around with PvP. I have literally not once touched PvP in this game and have no idea what frontlines even play like.

Hard to say, I probably play a night of FLs per week since it launched and I typically run with a premade so my win-rate is above average. I think one person I know basically played FL non-stop for 2-3 weeks to get her 100 win mount. Definitely recommend joining a FL LS if you do though! Some of the most fun I've had in FFXIV were pvping with my friends so I think it's worth it :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to do more frontlines, but I play a paladin and I don't feel like I'm contributing much.

Is there a guide or something to help me be less useless?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to do more frontlines, but I play a paladin and I don't feel like I'm contributing much.

Change your job.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Belzac posted:

Change your job.

I'm leveling a thaumaturge, those guys are useful, right?

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm leveling a thaumaturge, those guys are useful, right?

Nope.

BLMs are loving sick though

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

PLDs are great! Having 1 tank gives that VIT buff so you're already passively helping :). Our PLD marks a target for DPS to burn while he stun locks them and applies the full swing debuff. Cover and testudo can save your party members, and go full STR accessories if you aren't already.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

bleuraindrops posted:

PLDs are great! Having 1 tank gives that VIT buff so you're already passively helping :). Our PLD marks a target for DPS to burn while he stun locks them and applies the full swing debuff. Cover and testudo can save your party members, and go full STR accessories if you aren't already.

How can my WHM be effective during Frontlines? I want to holy some miqotes

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Congratulations you're a stunbot go annoy the bad guys or protect your healer

also i wrote a thing about PvP but I'm moving soon so the linkshell isn't really active afaik. the gist of it is NEVER BE IN SHIELD OATH FOR PVP ALWAYS BE SWORD OATH HOLY poo poo IF YOU TAKE NOTHING ELSE FROM ANY OF THIS PLEASE LEARN THAT YOU MUST USE SHIELD OATH OR EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27473

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

PLD's job in FL is basically "be an rear end in a top hat to healers". Spam stuns on them, silence them, and generally make their life hell.

MikeyLikesIt posted:

How can my WHM be effective during Frontlines? I want to holy some miqotes

Spam heals forever, abuse fluid aura.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Robo Reagan posted:

Congratulations you're a stunbot go annoy the bad guys or protect your healer

also i wrote a thing about PvP but I'm moving soon so the linkshell isn't really active afaik. the gist of it is NEVER BE IN SHIELD OATH FOR PVP ALWAYS BE SWORD OATH HOLY poo poo IF YOU TAKE NOTHING ELSE FROM ANY OF THIS PLEASE LEARN THAT YOU MUST USE SHIELD OATH OR EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27473

If you're facing a premade, all it'll take is the focus of two black mages to down a sword oath paladin.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The goal of a PLD in front lines is to annoy their own healers by getting loving destroyed by walking into an enemy area and getting blow up over and over, denying all swiftcast reses and divine breaths from going to more useful people.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

MohShuvuu posted:

If you're facing a premade, all it'll take is the focus of two black mages to down a sword oath paladin.
lol

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MohShuvuu posted:

Uhh, pretty much anything is dead at that point

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

bonewitch posted:

Spam heals forever, abuse fluid aura.

Wear VIT accessories. Make use of your PVP skills; WHMs have some great ones! Sleep things when you're able to.

Also don't holy because you don't want people to get stun resist. If your team isn't dying, it's worth holying up at the node though because you can stun any melee that might be LBing.

edit: err sleep things if your team is actually coordinated and not just attacking anything that moves.

bleuraindrops fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When 2.4 hit I remember people mentioning something about Mug not actually needing to be a finisher to work. Did that pan out?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yes, but it rarely seems to kick in at all, and I've never once seen it kick in when running instanced content. I typically run Viper for the self-heal (which anemic as it is, at least does something) and so I don't contribute to diminishing returns on stun, unless I'm deliberately expecting to be responsible for stunning something (in which case Wasp and hold off on Jugulate to use it as needed).

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

When 2.4 hit I remember people mentioning something about Mug not actually needing to be a finisher to work. Did that pan out?

As long as the mob is tagged by mug at any point its flagged

But its like a 10% chance to work, ive only gotten one bonus drop in months of playing ninja. It gives you special dialogue if its successful.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Belzac posted:

The goal of a PLD in front lines is to annoy their own healers by getting loving destroyed by walking into an enemy area and getting blow up over and over, denying all swiftcast reses and divine breaths from going to more useful people.

Oh! Mission accomplished then, I've definitely been filling this role.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Little late to the music selection, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXztvRR3sLk is my fav.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

bleuraindrops posted:

Wear VIT accessories. Make use of your PVP skills; WHMs have some great ones! Sleep things when you're able to.

Also don't holy because you don't want people to get stun resist. If your team isn't dying, it's worth holying up at the node though because you can stun any melee that might be LBing.

edit: err sleep things if your team is actually coordinated and not just attacking anything that moves.

The key PVP skill is Purify since you have no way to recover from sleep if your other healers are being useless which is all the loving time. It has saved my bacon many times facing a premade / coordinated group who sleep me then drop a cometeor or three on me. Get slept, see cometeors appear, mash purify and sprint and get out of the worst of it. With that and VIT accessories I usually survive barring a clever DRG stunning me right after I purify.

If you holy the node pop the aetheric burst too. -30%/-50% skill speed will be another nice hit to the melee dps in range. I swiftcast the holy too because being up close to the node for too long is a great way to die. Sprint, swiftcast, dash in, holy then aetheric burst, get the hell out. Use the shield bubble before you run in too, both to protect yourself and your own melee dps.

Surecast is actually useful! It won't stop interruptions from sleep/stun but it will let you get a spell off if somebody is just hitting you which can help save a life, probably yours.

Attunement is your troll move. If dps start targeting you and you can't get away and are probably dead pop attunement. It will delay your death so you will respawn later but it will also slow down the attacking party because all their dps are still slowly killing you instead of other party members or advancing on other objectives.

Stone 1 is relevant because it inflicts Heavy! Slow down people trying to run away or slow down dps doing the dps dance.

Use Cure 2. If somebody on your party starts getting targeted Cure 1 might not be enough to save them. Regen moves aren't as helpful for similar reasons. You might run out of MP so use Shroud of Saints and Mana Draw to keep your MP up.

Make sure you spend your PVP level points on your skills to improve them! It's just under Character->PVP Profile.

That is my WHM pvp tips for somebody with a 20% win rate and one win since 2.5 and Slaughter :v: I'd defect from the Flames if I didn't glamor one of their allied seal gear

e: Heal characters in other alliances too if needed, don't just heal your own party. Don't try too hard to heal someone out of range / sight unless you know you can get them in range / sight quickly. Don't waste GCDs or put yourself in danger trying to find some dumb fucker who's hiding behind a wall / dying in the back of all the Adders.

e2: On the note of walls if you're being targeted by another DPS you can do a few things to protect yourself. Fluid Aura and push back and bind a melee dps so you can get away from them and heal up. Bonus if you can Fluid Aura them off the middle platform and kill them via falling damage and a DoT! For ranged dps if you break LoS with them (like via a wall) they can't hit you and you can get time to heal up and hopefully they'll bugger off and find somebody else to shoot instead.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 3, 2015

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
There's no point in arguing about how to PvP when Frontlines themselves are hilariously broken.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/frontline/weekly/?sort=win&filter=1&dcgroup=Aether&worldname=&pvp_rank=&match=&gcid=

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Ruan why are you causing a ruckus in your FC chat?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Chyea posted:

There's no point in arguing about how to PvP when Frontlines themselves are hilariously broken.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/frontline/weekly/?sort=win&filter=1&dcgroup=Aether&worldname=&pvp_rank=&match=&gcid=

Time to transfer off Flames. :smith:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Controller-based players/healers: Is there a way to configure my controller so that I can up/down D-pad target my party without having to hit the trigger to cast a spell? I've gotten used to my triggers on toggle (rather than hold) on my bard and would like healing not to be a four button press when I have to target off the tank (trigger off the hotbar, dpad down to the affected person, trigger on, heal).

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

boho posted:

Time to transfer off Flames. :smith:

W-where are all the Twin Adders??? Twin Serpents rule!!!

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
There is nothing in this entire game that is worse than the fact that Mudras aren't client-side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm pretty hot from time to time about feint being completely useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That's Aether servergroup, not Primal

• Locked thread