Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rarity posted:

Well Gardens of the Moon didn't end how I expected at all.

It's weird how so many of the plotlines that were built up just ended up getting derailed by other stuff. Like the Bridgeburners plan getting derailed by the Jaghut Tyrant, which itself got derailed by some kind of plant monster?? Paran's plan to kill Lorn got derailed by a couple of women from the inn, the climax ended up being Rake vs. a dragon demon from out of nowhere? Crokus's coin barely seemed relevant. The only climaxes that really landed for me was Rallick killing Orr and Crokus/Apsalar. Everything else was a bit of a let down, to be honest

To be fair, I don't know that this a bad take on GotM. Later books have much better setup and flow to their climaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
e: ^^^ Maybe, but only as a function of his improving writing skills. The numerous twisting plot threads themselves almost never resolve as you would expect or think they will. But by and large it's done, IMO, extremely organically (as compared to, eg, the Mistborn books), and that masterful eradication of expectations is one of my favorite things about Erikson's writing.

Rarity posted:

Well Gardens of the Moon didn't end how I expected at all.

It's weird how so many of the plotlines that were built up just ended up getting derailed by other stuff. Like the Bridgeburners plan getting derailed by the Jaghut Tyrant, which itself got derailed by some kind of plant monster?? Paran's plan to kill Lorn got derailed by a couple of women from the inn, the climax ended up being Rake vs. a dragon demon from out of nowhere? Crokus's coin barely seemed relevant. The only climaxes that really landed for me was Rallick killing Orr and Crokus/Apsalar. Everything else was a bit of a let down, to be honest

IIRC, Rake vs the demon wasn't out of nowhere. That was Lorn's stated plan, albeit with the hope that Rake would have by that time been significantly weakened by his fight with Raest. Raest himself got derailed by a mechanism that is going to get a whole lot of exposition over the course of the series. Although I chuckled at 'plant monster.' The Twins' coin played no role in the climax, and I don't think any impression was ever given that it was going to. The Bridgeburners were already explained. And really, Paran's plan was sort of an ad hoc deal that would have probably not gone well for him.

But generally speaking, things often not going to plan is an underlying theme throughout the whole series. The beauty of it is that poo poo doesn't just randomly happen to cause it. The seeds are planted and they germinate - much as with Lorn's demise.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 31, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the "plant monster" thing because that's exactly what I thought on my first read of that part. GotM suddenly throws two new words at you - Finnest and Azath - and gives you absolutely no context. You only realize that the Azath showing up is a Big Deal a couple books down the line when you learn a bit more about those things.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

IIRC, Rake vs the demon wasn't out of nowhere. That was Lorn's stated plan, albeit with the hope that Rake would have by that time been significantly weakened by his fight with Raest. Raest himself got derailed by a mechanism that is going to get a whole lot of exposition over the course of the series. Although I chuckled at 'plant monster.' The Twins' coin played no role in the climax, and I don't think any impression was ever given that it was going to. The Bridgeburners were already explained. And really, Paran's plan was sort of an ad hoc deal that would have probably not gone well for him.

But generally speaking, things often not going to plan is an underlying theme throughout the whole series. The beauty of it is that poo poo doesn't just randomly happen to cause it. The seeds are planted and they germinate - much as with Lorn's demise.

The Twins/Oponn is more comic relief than anything else in the series. The scene in BH is pretty good in that regard.
One thing I like with the series is how "mere" humans totally gently caress up the lives and plans of 100 000 year ascendants and in the most rewarding cases by cussers.

anilEhilated posted:

I love the "plant monster" thing because that's exactly what I thought on my first read of that part. GotM suddenly throws two new words at you - Finnest and Azath - and gives you absolutely no context. You only realize that the Azath showing up is a Big Deal a couple books down the line when you learn a bit more about those things.

Yeah, the importance of Azath we can see in FoD. Do we ever get an explanation of the name Azathanai?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Yeah, T'riss says it means "The people who were never born", implying they're the Elder Gods/Elementals.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Cardiac posted:

One thing I like with the series is how "mere" humans totally gently caress up the lives and plans of 100 000 year ascendants and in the most rewarding cases by cussers.

Just got to this part in DHG on my first re-read of the series now.

:hellyeah:

I forgot how brutal the culling of the nobles sequence was.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Happy Yeti posted:

Yeah, T'riss says it means "The people who were never born", implying they're the Elder Gods/Elementals.

What I meant to say, did we get to know if Azath and Azathanai is related and how

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Cardiac posted:

What I meant to say, did we get to know if Azath and Azathanai is related and how

One of the many things I expect to find out in Fall of Light and Walk in Shadow.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Wasn't the Azath brought up earlier in the book when taking about ST/Cotillion/Deadhouse?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
About halfway through Deadhouse Gates. Man, this book seems like it's building up to some serious poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Damo posted:

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates. Man, this book seems like it's building up to some serious poo poo.

You could say that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Damo posted:

You might say things are...converging.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So, while I still have some time to decide, can anyone convince me for or against reading the ICE novels while I'm going through the main series for the first time? Or should I read them all after I read the normal Malazan books? Or should I skip them entirely?

If anyone suggest intertwining them with the core Malazan books, can you link me with a definitive reading order please? The one in the OP is out of date (there seem to be like, 3 or 4 ICE books released since it was written) and ones I find googling seem to conflict with each other, and I don't know which is correct. I'm real weary since I don't want something in the main series spoiled by an ICE book because I read poo poo in the wrong order.

edit: now that I think about it, wouldn't just reading them in the order they were published be the safest route?

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 3, 2015

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Damo posted:

So, while I still have some time to decide, can anyone convince me for or against reading the ICE novels while I'm going through the main series for the first time? Or should I read them all after I read the normal Malazan books? Or should I skip them entirely?

If anyone suggest intertwining them with the core Malazan books, can you link me with a definitive reading order please? The one in the OP is out of date (there seem to be like, 3 or 4 ICE books released since it was written) and ones I find googling seem to conflict with each other, and I don't know which is correct. I'm real weary since I don't want something in the main series spoiled by an ICE book because I read poo poo in the wrong order.

edit: now that I think about it, wouldn't just reading them in the order they were published be the safest route?

skip the ICE books and save them for a dedicated ICE read through.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

skip the ICE books and save them for a dedicated ICE read through.

Pretty much this.
The main series is the prime mover and ICE covers what happened to characters that got left behind by the main series.
I actually can't recall whether there is any occasion where Erikson picks up where Esslemont left off (disregarding NoK for obvious reasons).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Like others have said just save ICE stuff for an ICE-only read-through. The characters are written terribly, you'll hate what happens to some of them.

Skip Night of Knives entirely.
Skip Kiska chapters entirely in the Return of the Crimson Guard.
Read Orb, Scepter, Throne.
Read Blood and Bone.
Skip Assail.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I started reading that Prince of Nothing book recommended a while back. I already miss Erikson's names.

"Ishuäl was the secret refuge of the Kūniüric High Kings, and no one, not even the No- God, could besiege a secret. Months earlier, Anasūrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kūniüri, had fled to Ishuäl with the remnants of his household."

Looks like someone just slapped a keyboard a few times to come up with those names. Sheesh.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spermy Smurf posted:

Like others have said just save ICE stuff for an ICE-only read-through. The characters are written terribly, you'll hate what happens to some of them.

Read Blood and Bone.
Skip Assail.

lol you completely forgot stonewielder

My suggestion:
- Read Orb Scepter Throne
- If you enjoy his writing read the rest, otherwise find a synopsis

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

I started reading that Prince of Nothing book recommended a while back. I already miss Erikson's names.

"Ishuäl was the secret refuge of the Kûniüric High Kings, and no one, not even the No- God, could besiege a secret. Months earlier, Anasûrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kûniüri, had fled to Ishuäl with the remnants of his household."

Looks like someone just slapped a keyboard a few times to come up with those names. Sheesh.

As I mentioned before, that was literally the reason I couldn't make it part the first chapter.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Read Blood and Bone.
Skip Assail.
IIRC it's OST where you want to skip the Kiska chapters. Her appearance in RotCG is minimal.

Stonewielder is also pretty decent.

I'll echo the 'read them after the main series' comments. Because his writing and characters are very ho-hum, the books flow better and are more interesting when you read them back to back.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The middle books are worth a read, I think. That's Crimson Guard, Stonewielder, OST. Blood and Bone has interesting locales and mostly horrible plot, Assail has uninteresting locales and mostly horrible plot, Night of Knives isn't even worth reading.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Just read them all after the main series while you're on a trip or looking for an easy read. I enjoyed them in that setting.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah I read them according to some recommended reading order and it kinda distracted from the main plot in a kind of bad way. I've enjoyed all the ICE books but Assail, for what that's worth. I'd recommend reading them if you like Malazan, for sure, but probably after the main 10.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Aranan posted:

"Ishuäl was the secret refuge of the Kūniüric High Kings, and no one, not even the No- God, could besiege a secret. Months earlier, Anasūrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kūniüri, had fled to Ishuäl with the remnants of his household."

I don't see how that is in any way worse than Erikson.
Less apostrophes for once.
Also, Anasurimbor is kinda a big deal in the series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

I don't see how that is in any way worse than Erikson.
Less apostrophes for once.
Also, Anasurimbor is kinda a big deal in the series.

All the weird dots and dashes above the letters. Give me some apostrophes any day over that poo poo. They're at least English.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Man these naming conventions are really ruing my suspension of disbelief in this story about space raptors with swords for hands.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bakker's name really struck me more Tolkienesque than anything. Still, the barrage in the prologues is probably the worst of it, there's not that many characters once the plot gets going.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Man these naming conventions are really ruing my suspension of disbelief in this story about space raptors with swords for hands.

It's easier to believe in sword-handed space dinosaurs than some dude with half a dozen dots in his name. :colbert:

Dots, for crying out loud!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

It's easier to believe in sword-handed space dinosaurs than some dude with half a dozen dots in his name. :colbert:

Dots, for crying out loud!

Though to be fair the sword handed space dinosaurs had their introduction spaced out over a few books if I remember correctly - it's not like suddenly you hear about these amazing techno dinosaurs who have been almost completely exterminated.

Actually I think they're my favourite fantasy species in literature because of how well it was done.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Bakker's names are ridiculous, but not any more ridiculous than most fantasy names, and some of them do a good job of bearing real mythic weight (Golgotterath is a great name for a really lovely place). The problem is that he doesn't do a good job of sorting them into linguistic groups - you can't look at a given name and easily tell what culture it comes from.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Thanks for the ICE recommendations guys, looks like I'll just read them after I'm done with the main series if I'm desiring more Malazan at that point.

Still working through Deadhouse Gates and, man, (spoilers Deadhouse Gates up to around 500 pages in) holy poo poo guys Coltaine's march is just loving incredible. I mean, the way Erikson describes it is fascinating, frightening, incredible, exhausting, thirst inducing, disgusting, mind boggling in scope, and all sorts of other adjectives. I really can't get enough of this plot line. It's gotta be one of the, if not the best descriptions of an military/refugee exodus march I've ever read/seen.

All the new characters are really cool, and I didn't really care that a lot of the cast from Gardens of the Moon are absent. The few GotM characters we do get are enough to keep me happy in that regard. As far as new characters I'm especially liking Mappo/Icarium/Pust. I wish there was more of them, frankly. I haven't gotten much of them in comparison to everyone else, at least up to page ~475. The only character that kind of bothers me is Felisin, mainly because she is such a loving rear end in a top hat and I can't really understand why she's quite so toxic and cynical to those around her. I mean, I'd get it if she didn't lay it on so goddamn thick, but it seems a bit like she's overreacting. She's went through some poo poo, for sure, but it's not Baudin/Heboric/Kulp's fault so why take it out on them so goddamn hard?

Malazan engineers/sappers are so awesome and man I just wanna be one of them dudes, laughing maniacally while chucking/planting medieval style claymores, incendiaries, and shrapnel bombs at people. The part after the river crossing where they were described as crying to a man because of having to use up all their cussers was hilarious. Those dudes love their explosives more than life itself. Also when they described the Semk dude they hit as "The hairy one" then another chimes in "He ain't hairy no more" had me loling. Also when the dude with the pierced lung from an arrow is trying to walk it off like a bad rear end and his squadmate says something like "You won't be able to breath with blood in your lungs" and he replied "I've shared a tent with you, I can breath anything" was great too. I love their banter and wish we got to see more of them (besides Fiddler/Hedge, I mean) than the very small amount so far. I hope we see much more in future novels.

Deadhouse Gates is loving amazing. It started off slow but man since I've hit the halfway point I can't stop reading or thinking about it. I don't know if I'm prepared for the end because like I said in an earlier post, I can tell poo poo is going to go down hardcore and I don't know if my tiny palpitating human heart is going to be able to handle it.

Damo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 4, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Bakker's names are ridiculous, but not any more ridiculous than most fantasy names, and some of them do a good job of bearing real mythic weight (Golgotterath is a great name for a really lovely place). The problem is that he doesn't do a good job of sorting them into linguistic groups - you can't look at a given name and easily tell what culture it comes from.

You mean Golgotha?

I have some degree of tolerance for Fantasy Names (read: I can handle Anomander Purake, First Son Of Darkness and his sword Dragnipur) but "Kūniüric" is just bananas. I get it, Tolkien was a linguist, so I guess some authors derive fantasy cred from parroting him, but I don't find reading faux fantasy languages particularly satisfying, particularly when there's no real insights to come from them. Compare with, say, 1984's treatment of the linguistics where it has a narrative consequence, instead of 'I made a word that people will need to consult multiple wikipedia pages to try and pronounce, boosh', now let's make one with some other modifiers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Velius posted:

You mean Golgotha?

Yeah, that's why it works.

quote:

I have some degree of tolerance for Fantasy Names (read: I can handle Anomander Purake, First Son Of Darkness and his sword Dragnipur) but "Kūniüric" is just bananas. I get it, Tolkien was a linguist, so I guess some authors derive fantasy cred from parroting him, but I don't find reading faux fantasy languages particularly satisfying, particularly when there's no real insights to come from them. Compare with, say, 1984's treatment of the linguistics where it has a narrative consequence, instead of 'I made a word that people will need to consult multiple wikipedia pages to try and pronounce, boosh', now let's make one with some other modifiers.

Like I said, Bakker's names are ridiculous and not well done. They're archetypical fantasy names invented by someone who doesn't get linguistics.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Damo, reading your exuberant first read through play by plays has inspired me to read through this series again. Keep it up.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Damo posted:

The only character that kind of bothers me is Felisin, mainly because she is such a loving rear end in a top hat and I can't really understand why she's quite so toxic and cynical to those around her. I mean, I'd get it if she didn't lay it on so goddamn thick, but it seems a bit like she's overreacting. She's went through some poo poo, for sure, but it's not Baudin/Heboric/Kulp's fault so why take it out on them so goddamn hard?

You're not supposed to like her, she's a tragic character, but she has been literally humiliated, threatened with death, tortured, sold into slavery by her only living relative, seen traumatic horrors, and is now an addict selling her body to an abusive boyfriend. She's lashing out at those she can, not because they're actually at fault, but because they're the only ones she has. This is actually pretty well done in regards to how people react in similar traumatic situations. You may not like her, but you should feel for her. As someone says earlier one running theme in the series is how people reactor poorly when treated poorly.

quote:

Deadhouse Gates is loving amazing. It started off slow but man since I've hit the halfway point I can't stop reading or thinking about it. I don't know if I'm prepared for the end because like I said in an earlier post, I can tell poo poo is going to go down hardcore and I don't know if my tiny palpitating human heart is going to be able to handle it.

There's a reason why the standard instruction after someone says "Meh" to GotM is to give book 2 a try, it's a significant jump in quality.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

quote:

There just isn't enough :psyduck: in the world to describe how I feel for you and can't wait for the next post.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah I never reread books and I am starting the series again. What would you guys say is the weakest book, not counting the first? I don't remember disliking any book but I do recall having to skim some parts.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Captain Monkey posted:

Damo, reading your exuberant first read through play by plays has inspired me to read through this series again. Keep it up.

I struggled though Gardens of the Moon last year with not much idea what in the gently caress was happening most of the time then gave up on Deadhouse Gates for similar reasons maybe 100 pages in or so (can't recall for sure). I'd like to give this series another try though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Yeah I never reread books and I am starting the series again. What would you guys say is the weakest book, not counting the first? I don't remember disliking any book but I do recall having to skim some parts.

Toll the Hounds. The embodiment of "too many words." Narrated by Kruppe.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Dust of Dreams is probably my least favorite. It has the "too many words" problem that started in TTH and it also introduced too much brand new mysterious stuff(the Snake, ghost mountain) at too late a time in the series for my liking.

Toll The Hounds was my least favorite before rereading it prior to DoD's release. I enjoyed the reread of it enough that I've done it again since, and it now ranks pretty highly for me.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Zeitgueist posted:

You're not supposed to like her, she's a tragic character, but she has been literally humiliated, threatened with death, tortured, sold into slavery by her only living relative, seen traumatic horrors, and is now an addict selling her body to an abusive boyfriend. She's lashing out at those she can, not because they're actually at fault, but because they're the only ones she has. This is actually pretty well done in regards to how people react in similar traumatic situations. You may not like her, but you should feel for her. As someone says earlier one running theme in the series is how people reactor poorly when treated poorly.

This is a good explanation and I feel silly and rather ashamed that I didn't read it like this. I mean, I knew she wasn't meant to be a likable character, and I didn't necessarily blame her for what she's doing, but I guess I kind of didn't understand it. Now I do. Thank you.

Shockeh posted:

There just isn't enough :psyduck: in the world to describe how I feel for you and can't wait for the next post.

:ohdear: