Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Taxi by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Third one's the best to me. Not sure I understand the overexposure on these, though? They feel whited out, which I find a bit distracting.

Took this photo earlier this evening and I can't put my finger on why it appeals to me. I don't know if it's because I haven't stepped away from it for a while, but I think it captures what it felt like at the time and I'm not sure how.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 2, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Polk by TomOlson, on Flickr

Kennedy by TomOlson, on Flickr

West Loop by TomOlson, on Flickr

Board of Trade by TomOlson, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
2015-01-31 05.06.00 3 by Geektox, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jimlad posted:

Third one's the best to me. Not sure I understand the overexposure on these, though? They feel whited out, which I find a bit distracting.

Took this photo earlier this evening and I can't put my finger on why it appeals to me. I don't know if it's because I haven't stepped away from it for a while, but I think it captures what it felt like at the time and I'm not sure how.

I like it!

All of these are great as usual but the last one is unbelievable. Looks like a movie.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I like it, feels a bit unbalanced though.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Is that blue light accentuated? Just curious as its so striking in all these great night shots you've been taking.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I know this is a really small detail, but I absolutely love this shot and for some reason the T mobile banner ruins the mood somehow. I dunno, it just seems timeless and that tiny little detail kills that aspect to me. Is it possible to clone it somehow?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Spedman posted:

Is that blue light accentuated? Just curious as its so striking in all these great night shots you've been taking.

The lighting in this section of Chicago can be very orange on certain streets due to the density of sodium-vapor streetlights. In this case, I had to drag my white balance as cold as it could go and it still didn't really make things look right to me. I rarely do this, but for this shot I also split toned it to make highlights a bit bluer and I also adjusted the shadows' color because it was kind of a sickly yellow-green. Usually for my night shots I just adjust white balance by lowering the color temperature.

somnambulist posted:

I know this is a really small detail, but I absolutely love this shot and for some reason the T mobile banner ruins the mood somehow. I dunno, it just seems timeless and that tiny little detail kills that aspect to me. Is it possible to clone it somehow?

It is and I just did because I agree with you. If you look at it on flickr you'll see it's gone now.

Slavvy posted:

All of these are great as usual but the last one is unbelievable. Looks like a movie.

Thanks!

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 2, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

elgarbo posted:

I like it, feels a bit unbalanced though.

Thanks, do you man unbalanced in terms of the lines being distorted, or visual weight (that's a term I just read about in The Photographer's Eye, woop woop)?

If it's a former, my excuse is that my phone had mad distortion and I suck butts at perspective corrections.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RangerScum, you've been posting absolutely fantastic stuff lately. Thanks for putting it up.

Paynes Creek Historic State Park 28 by Execudork, on Flickr
Paynes Creek Historic State Park 31 by Execudork, on Flickr
Paynes Creek Historic State Park 43 by Execudork, on Flickr
Paynes Creek Historic State Park 48 by Execudork, on Flickr
Flying Home 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Geektox posted:

Thanks, do you man unbalanced in terms of the lines being distorted, or visual weight (that's a term I just read about in The Photographer's Eye, woop woop)?

If it's a former, my excuse is that my phone had mad distortion and I suck butts at perspective corrections.

Nah, it's the latter. The tree and the shadow seem really heavy compositionally, and the window is over on that side of the frame as well. The little shrubs and the lighter shadow just don't seem enough to balance it out in my opinion.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Trying to work on my levels a little better with my scans. I'm pretty happy with this.

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Lazy by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Pink Line by TomOlson, on Flickr

Warren by TomOlson, on Flickr

Rush by TomOlson, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is lovely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hardly any phototaking recently.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Yeah! :taco:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi Central by alkanphel, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Malvern

Bartestree

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Vinter by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

DSCF0361 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Quiet Walk by zacharytong, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I think my issue, among other issues, is watching Ben Willmore's Lightroom introduction and actually taking his advice about how to process photos when stuff he produces is HDR overload. I took a try again at two of my pictures in which I crushed the blacks. Any better? Also, any suggestions of where I can look for post processing advice?

Crushing Blacks
15-365 Falling Over (Panama City, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Leading Lines to the City (Panama City, Panamaa) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Less Crushing Blacks
(This might, probably is, a terrible photo)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

huhu posted:

I think my issue, among other issues, is watching Ben Willmore's Lightroom introduction and actually taking his advice about how to process photos when stuff he produces is HDR overload. I took a try again at two of my pictures in which I crushed the blacks. Any better? Also, any suggestions of where I can look for post processing advice?

Crushing Blacks

I don't think it's possible to save this photo no matter how hard you try.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think un-tilting it improved it immeasurably though.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hello, this is delicious!

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Lovely stuff.

This is nice and the people just add to it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

huhu posted:

Crushing Blacks

Less Crushing Blacks
(This might, probably is, a terrible photo)

Maybe if you show us how you're setting up your white and black points and curve we can give you better tips. On the train tracks picture your blacks were fine originally but the whites were really dark. On the edited version, they're even darker and there's even less contrast.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I like it!

Thanks!

This one's not my usual style but while I was reviewing photos I'd taken in the past, it stood out to me. Maybe I should take more pictures at random like how I took this one.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Iguazu Falls in Argentina:

Iguazú Falls by Mannymall

Only post process is the magic wand thingy on the Flickr mobile app. I need to take some Lightroom tutorials.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Cold Refreshment by TomOlson, on Flickr

Union by TomOlson, on Flickr

Elevated by TomOlson, on Flickr

Side by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 6, 2015

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
That first one is nice, not feeling the others so much. Full points for getting out and standing around with a tripod in that weather though, you must be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Blue Harbour by Daniel Sjöström, on Flickr