Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or just give them the loving book when they ask anything like "So what have I noticed on the way in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Laphroaig posted:

Oh man that reminds me of some excellent Adventure Advice this guy had for running a D&D Next campaign:

These grog rants are always so interesting, and they always seem to carefully ignore the fact that the real medieval world they are so happy to build around lacked giant monster-filled dungeons full of ludicrous amounts of actual gold and magical items, scattered fairly liberally all over the world, with a culture of weirdos that dive recklessly into these deathpits to occasionally emerge with sacks full of gains. That would have a hilariously huge effect on the local economy.

This whole thing reads like an alternate history of Green Bay where it's still a tiny meatpacking town full of dumbfounded union guys that are to a man amazed by these weird "football fans" that seem to invade their town with tales of the nearby stadium.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have a character concept I need help with. I want to build a melee combatant who's also a good tactician and an inspirational leader. Think the grizzled old Sarge in a cheesy war movie, who motivates scared new guys, alters the poo poo plan so that the objective is achieved, and kills lots of bad guys along the way.

This is obviously a Fighter who doesn't know magic, but how do I do it?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

I have a character concept I need help with. I want to build a melee combatant who's also a good tactician and an inspirational leader. Think the grizzled old Sarge in a cheesy war movie, who motivates scared new guys, alters the poo poo plan so that the objective is achieved, and kills lots of bad guys along the way.

You can't, it's not mechanically supported, just be a wizard instead.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

You can't, it's not mechanically supported, just be a wizard instead.

Putting aside that I said I don't want to use magic, please explain to me how a wizard does what I described better.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Pro 5e houserule: when I need to come up with something the rules fail to cover, like almost anything you can do that isn't casting a spell or swinging a weapon, I play MtG instead because I'm not a professional game designer and I shouldn't have to make up all the rules to play a game.

MtG made by the D&D "design" team:

I'll play a mountain.

You forgot to sing the basic land song, you lose your turn.

What?

It's to make the game fair for Bobby, he's using a Tarot deck. Ok my turn, I cast the nine of clubs.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Putting aside that I said I don't want to use magic, please explain to me how a wizard does what I described better.

Bard is a closer fit.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

AlphaDog posted:

Why don't you want to use magic? 2/3 of the classes in 5E use magic, and of the other 4 classes, 3 of them also get magic incidentally in some paths. It's a game where you have to go out of your way to not have magic. Is your character being mechanically unable to do a common (for adventurers) thing that important?

Lore Bards have the mechanical abilities to do those things. They also have magic on top of those abilities. Multiclass after level 5 or 6 if you want, you have most of the leadership abilities by then anyway.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

AlphaDog posted:

If you don't mind, I'll discuss a level 6 build I've been thinking about, since most campaigns probably don't make it too far past that point, and E6 is cool. Basically, you're going to need to stick mostly to a single class because of the importance of getting Extra Attack. That said, you could probably do Cleric of War 1/Battlemaster 5, stick to Bless/Shield of Faith and reflavor your cleric abilities as your force of personality and inspirational power. You probably have enough feats as fighter, but I'd still consider grabbing variant human so you can quickly pick up Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, and Resilient. Maybe grab Sentinel, and then go hog wild if you're actually doing E6. If you really don't want to go cleric ... Fighter 6 it is.

I've also considered the houserule that any class that picks up Extra attack counts as advancing Extra attack up to that level. So a Fighter 6 / Ranger 5 would have Extra Attack 2. So would a Fighter 7 / Ranger 2 / Barbarian 2. I don't know about the balance, but I'm not too afraid of giving fighting classes more raw damage. Alternatively, maybe roll Extra Attacks into some sort of Power Attack ability that gives you one attack with multiple damage dice instead? Dunno, just musing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

These grog rants are always so interesting, and they always seem to carefully ignore the fact that the real medieval world they are so happy to build around lacked giant monster-filled dungeons full of ludicrous amounts of actual gold and magical items, scattered fairly liberally all over the world, with a culture of weirdos that dive recklessly into these deathpits to occasionally emerge with sacks full of gains. That would have a hilariously huge effect on the local economy.

This whole thing reads like an alternate history of Green Bay where it's still a tiny meatpacking town full of dumbfounded union guys that are to a man amazed by these weird "football fans" that seem to invade their town with tales of the nearby stadium.

"Right, sorry, lemme get in touch with Jerry the Orange up at the cap uni. I'll box 'im a letter so's he can send a vial of-

"Huh. Okay, guess they switched his teachin' schedule up. Or some kid made a mail golem. Anyway, lemme get the magic out of this thing.

"Hocus, pocus, tinkledy-whee, I ain't need this, one, two, three!

"What? No, the rhyme ain't part of it, it just adds a bit of amusing banter to an otherwise cerebral ritual. You don't like it, write me a new one.

"Right, that's three drams of magic dust at the standard rate. Here's your letter a' credit, probably need to take that to the cap, but pleasure doin' business."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Great. Time to mug a big garbage bag of detect scrolls off some guards

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

AlphaDog posted:

What race do you want to play? We'll start there. And when you say inspirational do you mean character and personality or do you want to be able to actually buff things?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

What race do you want to play? We'll start there. And when you say inspirational do you mean character and personality or do you want to be able to actually buff things?

The answer is human.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

kingcom posted:

The answer is human.

Most likely but I'd like him to confirm that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Race doesn't matter at all, unless that race somehow precludes being a grizzled soldier type who is great at a melee combat, tactics*, and inspirational leadership. I feel like human and dwarf would work really well, but there's no reason halfling or even gnome should be excluded (unless there is, I mean that I can't see a concept-level reason why race would matter).

I want the ability to actually buff things by inspiring them. I also want "good tactician" to be mechanically supported somehow.

*Squad level tactics is fine at first level, but I'd like to eventually lead at least a company-sized body of troops and have some kind of tactical bonuses.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 4, 2015

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I feel like AlphaDog is trolling us.

But that aside, I'll answer earnestly.

Lore Bard 5/Battlemaster 15

Or

Necromancer 6/Oathbreaker 7/whatever 7

Feats: Inspiring Leader, Healer

Or is this :thejoke: ?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Red Hood posted:

Or is this :thejoke: ?

:allears:

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

:negative:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That live play when the penny arcade guy wanted to play a warlord.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Can you give a link? I want to hear this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Did they only do the one? I think i stopped after one of them wanted to be an avenger and ended up as paladin/cleric .

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can also take the Magic Initiate feat to grab Guidance from the Cleric cantrips for maximum roll messing-around-with

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

kingcom posted:

Did they only do the one? I think i stopped after one of them wanted to be an avenger and ended up as paladin/cleric .

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4. Amaze as people get disappointed at what their converted characters can do! Thrill as Mike Krahulik gets bored and just starts drawing stuff!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4. Amaze as people get disappointed at what their converted characters can do! Thrill as Mike Krahulik gets bored and just starts drawing stuff!

Why would they continue to host these? Its the worst marketing for the game I could think of.

"Last edition of the game brought these people together and showed them how fun and exciting D&D can be. See the new edition drive them away!"

EDIT: Scott Kurtz finding out his fighter now cant do anything is so sad :(

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

EDIT: Scott Kurtz finding out his fighter now cant do anything is so sad :(

So how did the rest of the internet take this? A triumphant return to D&D's roots?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A couple of days ago I asked my wife to walk into a gaming store with me and told her that she could leave when she smelled unwashed hair.

She walked out after twelve steps. It was Magic night.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Red Hood posted:

I feel like AlphaDog is trolling us.

I really do want to play a warlord, or even a fighter that gets followers.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

AlphaDog posted:

I really do want to play a warlord, or even a fighter that gets followers.

Just start doing Warlord things in game. Sounds like persuasion rolls mostly. I'd go STR/CHA Fighter obv, you want a background that lets you take Persuasion, then just make one of thems rolls and let the DM figure it out from there.

I mean why else have a DM

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Laphroaig posted:

Just start doing Warlord things in game. Sounds like persuasion rolls mostly. I'd go STR/CHA Fighter obv, you want a background that lets you take Persuasion, then just make one of thems rolls and let the DM figure it out from there.

I mean why else have a DM

If you can find me a DM/group that will let me roll Persuasion during combat to give an ally advantage to attack rolls for a round or two, I'm in.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I find it sort of funny that Ranger is now a pile of dogshit, after being pretty much the best class in 4th Edition (well the best striker anyway, the cool thing about having 4 types of classes was at least then you have 4 best classes at worst instead of just one), you do a ton of damage and have a bunch of utility abilities that with certain combinations of feats/classes/races can make me close to invincible. Of course, Warlord was really powerful in 4th as well, and they fixed that by, well, yeah.

You can make a sort of Warlord-esque character in 5th, but it requires magic, an absolute ton of it, you absolutely can not make a non magical character that plays close to a Warlord in 4E did. The best way is probably some weird combination of Valor bard, divination wizard, maybe some Cleric, and possibly battlemaster fighter that I really don't want to math out right now. The lazy mans way would be(this is probably what I would do, if someone put a gun to my head and made me do this for some reason), is to just make a Valor Bard and flavor all your spells as shouting orders.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

being purposefully obtuse? or being very new to 5.0 and still working from a 3.5 mindset where there's a lot more to it than that and picking the wrong skill or feat can really gently caress up your character? OK, got it. It's not that complicated any more.

but, you know, if you want to keep insulting me, that's cool too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pick Rogue as your class

Pick Charlatan as your background

Pick Persuasion as one of your Expertise skills

When you get to level 3, pick Assassin as your Rogue archetype. Or don't, if you don't think that you need the Assassin's archetype abilities to play a "conman" type since conmen can be played as being a real slick talker which doesn't really use "disguises" per se.

If you're playing with feats, Actor seems like a good fit.

For weapons: dual-wielded Shortswords are best for melee damage, Light Crossbow for ranged damage.

For race, Elf for the additional DEX, or perhaps Human for the more spread-out additional stats or the free feat.

Sleight of Hand, Deception and Performance are good choices for proficiency and/or expertise depending on how exactly you want to be a conman.

There are a bunch of good feat ideas, but Actor is the only one that really applies to being a conman. I could recommend something like Crossbow Expert or Sharpshooter or Dual Wielder, but those are "decent feats in general" rather than anything that targets your character concept specifically.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

AlphaDog posted:

If you can find me a DM/group that will let me roll Persuasion during combat to give an ally advantage to attack rolls for a round or two, I'm in.

Also Persuasion to let your ally spend hit dice in combat, also Persuasion to grant an ally an attack

im sure the vast majority of players, groups and DMs coming from 3.X to -> D&D Next will be ready to embrace this

seriously why do you even need rules? what you really need is rulings. and not rulings by the lead designer or rulings written in a book, but rulings made up on the spot by the whim of your DM

nothing else is really D&D when you get right down to it

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ActusRhesus posted:

That's actually the direction I am going in (tentatively): human with observant feat which a. gives you poo poo tons of bonus to perception and investigate which fits the character I'm making (more an information thief than a money thief) and has the added benefit of offsetting some of the disadvantage for not having darkvision.

Speaking as a dude who played a Rogue "Detective" over in this PbP right here I can say from experience that the Bounty Hunter background might be a good fit. Generally I ignore the equipment packages/tool prof/skill prof and just do WTF i was gonna do anyway, but the background is great for finding people or information about how to find them, if that's your angle.

IT BEGINS posted:

If I can convince my group to relinquish their death-grip on D&D then I'll definitely try running this.

Hit me up on PMs if you need any help and/or have any questions

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They essentially made drow unplayable in this edition so there's that.

Playing in this game, I sort of just recently realized I could have been playing as a Drow all along, since we're underground the whole time. Although in the adventure, the Drow are mostly the enemy, so I dunno how that would go over..

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The body language is amazing. Tycho sits as far away from Mearls as possible, both him and Gabe are like "is this guy for real", Mearls himself is desperately trying to regain ground, and Kurtz has been the gently caress outta this since two hours ago.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
At the beginning of this podcast, Mike Mearls describes himself as metaphorically using abilities not present in his game to allow his game to be made.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

The body language is amazing. Tycho sits as far away from Mearls as possible, both him and Gabe are like "is this guy for real", Mearls himself is desperately trying to regain ground, and Kurtz has been the gently caress outta this since two hours ago.

I thought the angle was weird or my eyes were going bad, but apparently Scott Kurtz is a rather large person.

Laphroaig posted:

Also Persuasion to let your ally spend hit dice in combat, also Persuasion to grant an ally an attack

im sure the vast majority of players, groups and DMs coming from 3.X to -> D&D Next will be ready to embrace this

seriously why do you even need rules? what you really need is rulings. and not rulings by the lead designer or rulings written in a book, but rulings made up on the spot by the whim of your DM

nothing else is really D&D when you get right down to it

D&D Minimalist: Roll or assign your attribute scores. Whenever you want to do A Thing, roll a d20, add the most relevant attribute modifier. If your background/character description suggests you should be exceptionally good at it, add your proficiency bonus. Beat a target number set by the DM.

Done, done and done. 50 dollars, please.

D&D Minimalist - Expanded Edition: Every character starts with and can have up to 1 Ability Point. They can spend an Ability Point to make their next A Thing automatically succeed. Whenever they take a rest, they regain 1 Ability Point.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Advantaged: Flip 3 coins, any heads means success.
Skilled: Flip 2 coins, any heads means success.
Unskilled: Flip a coin, heads means success.
Disadvantaged: Flip 2 coins, any tails mean failure.

If your character knows how to do thing, start at skilled, otherwise start at unskilled. Any advantages shift you up one place, any disadvantages shift you down. No stacking. Flip coins, determine success.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Watch the lottery- if your character knows how to do thing, succeed unless the first number is divisible by 3. Otherwise, succeed unless the first number is odd. Advantage/disadvantage brings the second number into the mix. Combats in this system are very slow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Roll or assign your stats. When you want to Do A Thing, the appropriate stat becomes the target number. If you have advantage, add 4 to the TN. If you have disadvantage, subtract 4 from the TN. Roll the TN or under on a d20 to succeed at Thing.

Game design is easy! :haw:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

I joked about this not being mechanically supported but it is.

Play a human and take the "Inspirational leader" feat, which gives +1 Charisma and let's you give inspiring speeches giving people temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma bonus.

Then take the noble back ground so you're skilled in persuasion so you can talk people around to changing their plans.

Then play as a fighter and pick the protective fighting style so you can help others in the party using your shield.

When you get to level 3 you pick the following maneuvers to learn: Commander's Strike, Manoeuvring Strike, and Rally. These let you spend superiority dice to order allies to make an extra attack, move, or gain temporary hit points respectively.

Luckily all that is at level 3 too as everyone knows no one plays the game beyond level 5.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 4, 2015