Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Impermanent posted:

Also, while some people house rule board games, it is overwhelmingly not something the majority of people do.

I have to disagree here. Everyone knows how to play Monopoly but I don't know a single person who plays it RAW.

But if we look beyond the Wal-Mart aisle, I think fiddly deck building games probably get rules drifted the most. Either to remove game breaking or lovely cards from the game, or to avoid previously played combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think at this point we can, at least, rather solidly agree that not even WotC's PR department knows the D&D team exists.

Edit:

PFfffffffffHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And of course ENWorld immediately makes a thread desperately trying to go "No see look at all these other women working for D&D outside of the dev team!"

I'm wrong, the D&D team department have a PR team. It just exists in ENWorld.

Edit 2:

It's immediately overrun with people whining "why do we even CARE if women work there?!" with one gerbergater complaining about people even talking about gender and striking off to make transphobic remarks, followed by others going straight for :biotruths: because they're tired of "feeling bad because I'm male even though I never did anything."

It is the community Mike Mearls truly deserves.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 3, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know why everyone's mad about Mearls responding to 'there's no women on your game design side of things' with 'THERE ARE WOMEN IN ART THOUGH'. I think it's cool that Mearls is being open about not understanding what game design is, maybe now that he admitted his problem he can get help.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is so weird to me that Mearls' team and the Magic design team work for the same company.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

It is so weird to me that Mearls' team and the Magic design team work for the same company.

It makes perfect sense that Mearls has the team he does because everyone else is being put on Magic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
To be clear, the person in question who was dropped was Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, who's a veteran editor who had worked at WotC for about two decades.

It's disappointing to see, but dropping talented people is such a perennial WotC blunder I can't be shocked anymore. This is company that fired Lisa Stevens, after all, and she practically built that company... And we all know how well that turned out for them.

WotC has been trashing their best RPG talent regularly since the buyout and this just strikes me as business as usual.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The problem isn't just "WotC fired the last woman working on the dev team," it was Mearls' belligerent reaction. "We actually do have a number of women working for other parts of the D&D team who don't get the recognition they deserve, but I agree that we need more female devs." How loving hard is that? What he did instead was the equivalent of "I'M not the racist, YOU are!"

That his #1 fans on ENWorld tried to leap to his defense only to get swamped with "loving SJWs," :biotruths:, and transphobic commentary, only makes the thing go from sadly expected to outright mockable.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 3, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah. I can't claim to know the circumstances of her exit, but Mearls' response was remarkably unprofessional.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

It makes perfect sense that Mearls has the team he does because everyone else is being put on Magic.

I suppose. It's just, you know, on the one hand, this. And on the other, MtG has a transwoman on the Design team and just released a story about the first canon transwoman like four days ago. Five, maybe?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is company that fired Lisa Stevens, after all, and she practically built that company... And we all know how well that turned out for them.

I haven't heard this line before. What are her accomplishments compared to Richard Garfield and Peter Adkison? Not being snarky, serious question.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Essentially: Lisa was hired to do business-end stuff, and did really well with roleplaying games, which WotC originally produced, but wasn't very good with cards or Magic, which, well, became the focus. (I believe Mark Rosewater's mentioned specifically art direction and how, while she was a great person and amazing at roleplaying games, she wasn't able to communicate their art needs for the cards well and he had to go back and fix stuff for her a lot.) She was let go long before D&D became WotC's. I am fairly certain it was an amicable parting of ways due to company direction at the time - other than that story, Mark Rosewater's had nothing but nice things to say.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Care to educate me further? I mean, I love Talislanta and Everway more than the next guy, but can we justify "Lisa Stevens built WotC"? Again, not trying to be dickish, I've just never heard this before.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mors Rattus posted:

She was let go long before D&D became WotC's.

Stevens left in 2000; TSR was purchased in 1997. 3rd edition came out in 2000, but I don't know if she had a hand in that.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. I can't claim to know the circumstances of her exit, but Mearls' response was remarkably unprofessional.
This was the guy who looked at Those Two Guys' blogs (and other internet messes) and apparently saw nothing wrong, and felt it was totally acceptable and professional to have their names in the industry's flagship game for paid work (even after one of them said Monte Cook's vocal cords should be cut). If someone at McGraw-Hill decided that for the new edition of their American history textbook what they really needed was to get Glenn Beck and Mark Levin's opinions, I wouldn't exactly hold the editor behind that in high esteem.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

Care to educate me further? I mean, I love Talislanta and Everway more than the next guy, but can we justify "Lisa Stevens built WotC"? Again, not trying to be dickish, I've just never heard this before.

Well, at the very least, Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have gotten off the ground without her. (The same is probably also true of White Wolf, but that's another story.) Adkison was the creative drive behind WotC, to be sure, but Stevens was the one that got them their first game line (Talislanta) that put them on the map and actually made money,. She was also responsible for getting a lot of the early WotC authors (including a certain Mr. Tweet), as well. But ultimately it was her financial and marketing hard work that kept the company alive when by no means should it have financially survived when practically everything it did was causing it to leak money. While the company wouldn't have been created without Adkison, it never would have survived without Stevens.

Though she's not a designer, she's probably the most important person alive in the business of RPGs. White Wolf, Wizards of the Coast, and Paizo all wouldn't exist - or at least exist in their current form - without her influence.

Guilty Spork posted:

If someone at McGraw-Hill decided that for the new edition of their American history textbook what they really needed was to get Glenn Beck and Mark Levin's opinions, I wouldn't exactly hold the editor behind that in high esteem.

I'm sure you could find lots of other things to try and pin on her for in two decades of work with WotC, but I don't see any evidence to blame her for that. Like, you could point out that she was Senior RPG Editor for the whole 4e run, and we all know how disastrous that was. :v:

Mors Rattus posted:

I am fairly certain it was an amicable parting of ways due to company direction at the time - other than that story, Mark Rosewater's had nothing but nice things to say.

Well, she was certainly laid off; it wasn't her choice. That being said, there was definitely tension between her and Adkison at that point, and she was still able to spin the situation into taking over the D&D magazines, which... worked out pretty drat well for her, despite some rocky times in the mid-2000s.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
She was explicitly a part of the TSR purchase as I recall, and one of the leading figures who made WotC an actual business of professionals; for awhile it was exactly what you would expect from a company of nerds who made it big, with all the negatives that would imply.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm sure you could find lots of other things to try and pin on her for in two decades of work with WotC, but I don't see any evidence to blame her for that. Like, you could point out that she was Senior RPG Editor for the whole 4e run, and we all know how disastrous that was. :v:
I guess the word "editor" was misleading, but I was trying to come up with a hypothetical thing that would be comparable to Mearls' decision to hire Those Two Consultants for D&D Next.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

She was explicitly a part of the TSR purchase as I recall, and one of the leading figures who made WotC an actual business of professionals; for awhile it was exactly what you would expect from a company of nerds who made it big, with all the negatives that would imply.

Those who need some elucidation on this may want to read John Tynes' Death to the Minotaur if you haven't already.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mors Rattus posted:

I suppose. It's just, you know, on the one hand, this. And on the other, MtG has a transwoman on the Design team and just released a story about the first canon transwoman like four days ago. Five, maybe?

I knew about Alesha, but didn't know there was a trans person in design. Who is it, if it's not rude to ask?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

That his #1 fans on ENWorld tried to leap to his defense only to get swamped with "loving SJWs," :biotruths:, and transphobic commentary, only makes the thing go from sadly expected to outright mockable.

* slides grognards.txt back across the table *

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but I just finally got my hands on a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard, and it looks rad as gently caress.

I am probably never going to convince anyone to play it with me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ettin posted:

Do it.

DO IT.

Or else where am I going to find a home for quotes like this:

quote:

He all but calls me a liar, changes his story in every post, and I get a warning? Well, now that I have the documentation of how moderators protect trolls that I cam for, I'm outta here. Enjoy your little urine soaked sandbox with all the other little children, kiddo. You (collectively, that is, the moderators) are the reason rpg.net is a shithole.
That was recent RPGnet registree (and now permabanee) "taustin", who I am sure is the same Terry Austin who was a flaming idiot on the rec.games.frp.* boards on USENET over 20 years ago. What next, is Michael T. Richter going to appear?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

whydirt posted:

I knew about Alesha, but didn't know there was a trans person in design. Who is it, if it's not rude to ask?

It's total hearsay, but I understand she's one of the first Great Designer Search winners.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

See what happens when you lock that thread? The poo poo leaks everywhere.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Emong posted:

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but I just finally got my hands on a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard, and it looks rad as gently caress.

I am probably never going to convince anyone to play it with me.

I just ordered monster of the week from evil hat. It looks cool too!

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

oh my god why did i read that enworld thread you were doing SO WELL chat thread i was so full of joy, buoyed by msw's tales of super the milk shayk and super gangster rand brittain teaming up to explore the underground world of illegal "chubbo racing" (better known as "chubbin' ") and stop some kind of horrible bargain bin vin diesel-led chubpocalypse in time to come home and pump out an advice column and then these garbagechans happened

can we just burn down the hobby and carve out some kind of horrible storygame queermo fiefdom atop its ashes

Mors Rattus posted:

It's total hearsay, but I understand she's one of the first Great Designer Search winners.
also uh

setting aside how it's kind of weird and maybe Not Yr Business for some rando to immediately go OMG WHO IS IT on hearing there's a trans person on the mtg design team, uh

maaaaaaybe this is not the most appropriate place to share rumours about how someone working in a company adjacent to a hobby that chews up and spits out trans women is totes a trans woman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ningyou posted:

can we just burn down the hobby and carve out some kind of horrible storygame queermo fiefdom atop its ashes

Play hex-and-counter wargames instead. No grogs there. I think. I hope. Oh god please god no.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

i can't tell if you're being facetious about the grogs or no :ohdear:

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There are somethings that cannot be burned to the ground, but rather co-opted from within, like a leaf of grass pushing up through the cracked concrete.

The cracked concrete in this metaphor is D&D's reputation.

In semi-related news, Avery McDaldno is setting up an indy games retreat in Seattle this May, which seems neat and worth looking into if that's your sort of thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Play hex-and-counter wargames instead. No grogs there. I think. I hope. Oh god please god no.

Um.

You know where the term comes from, right?

Because it comes from wargaming.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Destroy all grogs, because they harass people, make them afraid and want to quit their hobbies. That is all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Um.

You know where the term comes from, right?

Because it comes from wargaming.

Yes I know the origin of the word but it's not like Jim Dunnigan ever bitched about SJWs or people cling desperately to The Russian Campaign because of some bullshit about disassociated mechanics or that Volko Ruhnke's next COIN game is going to be a four-way battle between L G B and T.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Grognard has a different meaning in the world of board wargames, the more innocent, original meaning in which it was more about good-natured grumbling about the games rather than any other motive. Also, considering the fact that a lot of people nowadays within the board wargaming community positively embrace the changes that have been brought about in our current Golden Era of Wargaming, you will be hard-pressed to find a grognard that will earnestly say that wargames of old are better than the current offerings.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Why is this hobby so toxic, and, short of shooting everybody who's ever rolled a dice or pretended to be an elf, how do we fix it? Serious question.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Deleter posted:

Why is this hobby so toxic, and, short of shooting everybody who's ever rolled a dice or pretended to be an elf, how do we fix it? Serious question.
Nerds. And its not a problem for this nerd hobby, but all nerd hobbies. Video games, comics, and SF/fantasy all have horrorshows that make the controversies in tradgaming look like bunfights. Take GamerGate for an example, or look up the details of the Breen-doggle, if your stomach can handle it. Say what you will about our grogs, at least they didn't spend decades covering up for a his-and-her pair of fantasy authors who were well-known child rapers.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

[grover voice]
Post poo poo, don't poo poo post!
[/grover voice]

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Of all the nerd hobbies, probably the least toxic I've seen out there is boardgaming. Sure, it does have it share of problems now and again (f.ex. the popularity of Kingdom Death), but overall it is probably the most inclusive nerd-hobby that I've ever been in, especially considering the sort of public meetups that I regularly go to, which feature all sort of people from all walks of life.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tekopo posted:

Of all the nerd hobbies, probably the least toxic I've seen out there is boardgaming. Sure, it does have it share of problems now and again (f.ex. the popularity of Kingdom Death), but overall it is probably the most inclusive nerd-hobby that I've ever been in, especially considering the sort of public meetups that I regularly go to, which feature all sort of people from all walks of life.
Boardgaming has some truly terrible grogs and has for a long time (there's a reason why every gaming convention guide has a note in its costume section that says that 20th century uniforms are not allowed except for active-duty military personnel). But it's so vast and wide and the barriers to entry are so low that the grogs are a tiny proportion of the fanbase and you can play dozens of boardgames with hundreds of people over the course of a decade without ever meeting one, or even realizing there's a toxic hardcore fan culture.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'll allow it for now but if people are posting new threads I would prefer they post them on new and cool topics like, I don't know, 5E character/newbie advice or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no such thing as a cool topic related to tradgaming though?

• Locked thread