Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

gently caress me, it seems I actually pledged $29 but somehow selected the $15 tier. I could've been playing it all this time :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wegee posted:

Haven't been able to get a jester yet, but I am dropping my WD. Dude has 0 damaging abilities which can be frustrating for some fights.

What do you recommend I prioritize in town with my heirlooms/relics outside of the stage coach?

What about with my gold? The guide recommended not wasting gold early on the level 1 guys.

Edit: Thank you for all the advice.

I'm really not sure about Relics yet. I haven't bought any from town because every one that I've seen has either been too expensive or has had negative effects tacked on that I didn't want to take. The only relics I'm using at the moment are things I've got as drops or from quests and I haven't found enough of them to have to make any choices.

My priority for gold is Stress/Quirk Removal (try to always use the Sanitarium over the tavern/church because it reduces stress on top of removing a negative quirk) followed by upgrading weapons/armor, followed by upgrading skills. I have no idea if this is optimal but it has been working for me, I'm about 24 weeks in and doing level 2-3 quests.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

This game seems super hard. My first dungeon and my highway man dies, and eveyone else is insane from stress. It's a good game, but real punishing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HogX posted:

This game seems super hard. My first dungeon and my highway man dies, and eveyone else is insane from stress. It's a good game, but real punishing.

Yeah I had to loving abandon otherwise I would've lost my team. Still lost one and that was loving bullshit. How long does it take for their stress to wear off in their recovery spots I've been waiting for a while.

The second time I entered the dungeon it was less bullshit

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

HogX posted:

My last attempt at not doing horribly went horribly wrong and in the first dungeon I didn't bring enough torches and everyone went insane and died horribly. Then the caravan had three jesters and the healer lady.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Don't worry about getting your rear end kicked guys, you'll pick it up. I'm coasting most of the time now because I learned proper crowd control and only high level long dungeons really seem challenging now (or when I deliberately tank my light levels for more loot). But the first few days are magical lessons in humility :3:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't get it either. I'm one of the people who backed at Nomad, and, in retrospect, I wish I'd gone higher, because this particular game looks amazing even at Early Access, and i want to play it right now.

But I'm certainly not gonna blame the makers for not giving me what I explicitly didn't pay for. There's an Early Access tier, after all.

With Early Access, you're always taking a gamble on just what you're going to get. Sometimes you win and get Darkest Dungeons and sometimes you lose and get Spacebase. In this case Early Access was the right bet, and I find it kind of amazing that people are losing their poo poo because they gambled and lost.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wegee posted:

I just got the game an hour and a half ago. I watched a bunch of streams and read that starter guide on steam.

Managing stress seems beyond me. I capped out on stress on every character in my first three dungeons. Also, I kind of hate that being surprised can make your party just completely worthless, or so it seems. I went into the final room of a dungeon with a healthy party, got surprised despite being 93% torch, then got wrecked because every single character was in the worst spot imaginable. I don't know what I could have done differently there, but it sucks.

Other than that, the game seems awesome. I just wish I knew how to manage stress and avoid getting instantly wrecked by a fight that messes up my party order severely.

Stress is mostly a huge problem for the first few dungeons since you don't have a large roster of characters to cycle through, the stress reduction buildings don't unlock until a few weeks in, and you don't have the money necessary to easily use them once they are available. It gets a lot more manageable very soon.

As for your party being out of order, you can help mitigate this by using certain classes/skill setups that aren't so crippled by it. Hellions, for example, can use breakthough from anywhere. Crusaders can dash forward with holy lance. Highwaymen/Bounty Hunters are very effective at both mid positions, and can do alright if forced to the front. On the other hand, Lepers can't do anything worthwhile from the rear two slots and can't quickly get to the front. Healers tend to only be capable of healing from the back, and have the same mobility issues as the Leper. Something to keep in mind.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Acquire Currency! posted:

How long does it take for their stress to wear off in their recovery spots I've been waiting for a while.

Depends on how upgraded your spots are. You should be prioritizing getting one (I like meditation, but drinking is also cheap) pretty much maxed as soon as possible. Un-upgraded, most of the places only heal for 30-40 stress, but getting them maxed will heal for 70+, and if you have one of the beneficial quirks for it (mediatator and nymphomaniac for example) you can clear stress in one shot. But like Demiurge said, these first runs are all a lesson in how much the game wants you dead. An abandon isn't a loss, it a draw.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been dicking around a bit with this, mostly the first two missions. A couple of questions:

- At the end of a mission, I get the choice of getting new traits for my characters by clicking on the theatre mask. Any way of predicting whether this will be good or bad? A successful mission with little damage and stress giving better odds at good traits for example?
- How does the game ramp up the difficulty? Can I stay at a given difficulty level by not completing missions/not triggering something? Sometimes it seems that you're going to fail with the dudes you have available, or I just may want to grind some upgrade or skill.
- Do you reduce stress just by not going in expeditions, or do you have to pay at whatever location?
- Are some professions better at opening things? Right now I'm terrified of opening anything that isn't a bag. The first chest at the tutorial was a dick move, and everthing seems to be trapped.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's no penalty to getting your fresh recruits thrashed, but try to always flee the dungeon before a complete party wipe. This lets you keep all of the drops and keep upgrading your town. If you flee from a quest with a level 0 character, dismiss them afterward instead of spending money on stress removal. If you're below 4 characters, the wagon will always have four characters available (I saw this working in the pre-EA version but I'm not sure it works now, I don't see why not because it's impossible to start a quest without 4 available characters). You might be able to use this to reroll for whatever classes you want.

Once you have enough money saved up to send in well-provisioned teams and you've figured out the combat it becomes much more manageable.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I think the best strategy at the moment is to abuse stunning/healing. My favoured party at the moment is crusader/vestal/highwayman(or leper)/occultist. Kill stuff asap till there's 1 mob left, then chain stun it while vestal/occultist heals everyone to full, then finish it off. Feels a little exploity but the game is brutal enough that I don't feel bad about it.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Wegee posted:

What do you recommend I prioritize in town with my heirlooms/relics outside of the stage coach?

Don't buy anything in town until you need to use it, and focus on as few stress reducer upgrades as possible to save resources.
Look at your dudes before sending them off to stress relief, and check if they have preferences (prayer and the brothel seem to be the most common for me - but meditation seems to be fairly addicting) - outside of that, go for the cheapest (Meditation?) or what you already have upgraded. I haven't paid that much attention to what's most effective for who outside of quirks, though generally try to send the religious types to church.

Also, once you start running medium+ dungeons, you can generally stop worrying about anyone who has stress under half their bar or so (saving the town stuff for crazier days). Camping and/or stunlocking with the Crusader stress healing from the back row can easily take off 50% of a stress bar early during a dungeon run. (SEE, IT'S NOT SO BAD; NOW TAKE A THERAPEUTIC DUNGEON NAP)

Upgrade skills first, and then equipment (likely armor first to avoid hits, but if you've got a bunch of crit % in your group, you probably want to try and stack it with better weapons).
This game's a bit unique in that you'll often only upgrade a few key skills (rather then all of your used skills) due to the cost.

For each skill you want to upgrade, check to make sure you're getting something that notably changes the skill's usefulness. Most 0 through 2 point changes aren't worth it when you have other things needing money.
Generally look for 5+ point accuracy boosts on your preferred skills, and heal upgrades that increase the amount healed, followed by damage increases of more then a couple points. Save the rest until you're flush with cash, you'll need it for more important things.

The roster size update is the one that feels like I'm constantly chomping at the bit to have, with the roster selection upgrade probably not needed if you can make it past the first few runs (early on it helps get up to a well rounded group faster, but once you're full it's not nearly as needed - especially as you can send the new recruits on a "scouting mission" to reset the available pool...)

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 3, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So can we still back this to get Early Access or is that closed?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So can we still back this to get Early Access or is that closed?

It's out now on Steam for general purchase. Still EA. 20 bucks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bonds0097 posted:

It's out now on Steam for general purchase. Still EA. 20 bucks.

Hm, doesn't help me, I wanna play it on the PS4. Guess I'll just wait for the proper release.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just lost all my dudes in the first dungeon. Should I restart or whatever and try again or retreat and get the next batch of nerds from the cart and sacrifice them too?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Twice now I've had the game crash on me when I click on the wagon to hire new recruits. Right now all I can do is abandon missions with my lowbies before they get wiped.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Twice now I've had the game crash on me when I click on the wagon to look hire recruits. Right now all I can do is abandon missions with my lowbies before they get wiped.

Did you update the gamefiles? I thought they fixed that issue. New recruits wouldn't slide along correctly or something when you recruited them

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hm, doesn't help me, I wanna play it on the PS4. Guess I'll just wait for the proper release.

PS4 won't be out for awhile after release even, probably. Or maybe at pc release. Which should be Q2 2015.

vandalism posted:

I just lost all my dudes in the first dungeon. Should I restart or whatever and try again or retreat and get the next batch of nerds from the cart and sacrifice them too?

Don't worry about going through the meat grinder with fresh recruits. There's ALWAYS more, and they're literally free. That said, try to salvage some kind of resources from your runs, so don't be afraid to retreat in the beginning if you're not going to make it. Retreating and getting some gold is better than dying completely.

Waffle! posted:

Twice now I've had the game crash on me when I click on the wagon to hire new recruits. Right now all I can do is abandon missions with my lowbies before they get wiped.

There's a known bug with the wagon. Each time you hire somebody, close the wagon and open it back up. It'll prevent crashes. Only hire one at a time.

It may have been patched though?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zaphod42 posted:

PS4 won't be out for awhile after release even, probably. Or maybe at pc release. Which should be Q2 2015.
I've read some forum posts that say the official release will be the PS4/Vita/PC release. The only reason it's not on the consoles/etc is that Sony prohibits early access.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Since we're getting a lot of new people I'll repost the link to my guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Should answer a lot of people's questions.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Also if anyone wants to hang out I'm streaming here if you're one of those few that aren't playing yet.

Still new to the streaming thing though, so apologies in advance

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Week 4, one short and two medium missions cleared by Sir Reynauld, He of the Incandescent Sun, Scourge of the Unholy, Cartographer of the Ruins, the Stalwart. He's at 2 stress after the last mission, picked it up while walking through a few empty rooms to finish up the scouting goal. He and the two lasses who joined him in town are ready to go punk the Necromancer's Apprentice just as soon as I figure out what to spend my filthy lucre on. Party slot 2 has been filled by various apprentice thieves who have a disconcerting tendency to develop a phobia of Sir Reynauld, Incarnate of Light, Unerring Soldier.

The toughest dilemma is how to spend my riches. The gypsy in town promises an artifact, an ancient heirloom of my family. The object will cost half my purse, but it is one of three steps on the path to Immortality. On the other hand, investing in a training regimen would allow Sir Reynauld to achieve matchless accuracy, guaranteeing his blows against all but the luckiest enemies I now face. Yet perhaps the answer is to upgrade the armory of this wretched land. If the thieves who accompany my band had garb reinforced against the horrors below, perhaps they would not fear Sir Reynauld's Divine Power.

With less lovely prose, game is about as easy, fun, and unforgiving as I expected it to be. Very, very, and very. I haven't needed to treat anyone for stress yet. My second slot characters keep picking up a fear of light, though, which is really annoying when Reynauld does more damage in high light, resists stress in high light, and does more single target damage per turn than the rest of the party combined. I was saving my gold to buy character upgrades as soon as they unlocked, but the Nomad Wagon has a trinket that could push someone over 100% death blow resistance if you doubled up and had a certain trait. Since the trinket also gives an enormous amount of damage and crit on death's door I kind of want to buy it and then clear the rest of the game with one good character and three stooges.

FAKE EDIT: Wait, I had enough gold and heirlooms to do everything after picking up a couple cost reduction upgrades to the Nomad Wagon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Also if anyone wants to hang out I'm streaming here if you're one of those few that aren't playing yet.

Still new to the streaming thing though, so apologies in advance

I'm really happy to see the game hit peak hype on Twitch, sure it's just twitch flavor of the week but it'll really help get the game out there.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really happy to see the game hit peak hype on Twitch, sure it's just twitch flavor of the week but it'll really help get the game out there.

It had this many viewers on Monday too, just not as many streamers. Pretty crazy for such a game

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think the ability for streamers to name their characters after people in the chat (subs, whatever) helps a game on the streaming front. Also, when it's this kind of game where you find yourself yelling, "What are you doing!? Your party has been out of order for two rooms now!" or, "Of course your party is freaking out, the light level is at 30%!" at the screen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Demiurge4 posted:

I was just watching a stream, and somebody said in chat "well gently caress brb I'm buying the game"

:)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I know for some games (Nuclear Throne?) you can buy the game through Twitch. Is that in trial or can any game sign up for that?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The crash issue I'm having seems to be clicking on the wagon after going to the Tavern and/or putting someone in there to chillax. I'll see if there are any more updates. I've hired more than one goon at a time and haven't had a problem.

I'm digging the leper and the grave robber. The berserker is cool too. I like clearing out the back line where fools cower behind lackeys! :black101:

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 4, 2015

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
While this game is fantastic, looks amazing, and has some hilarious interactions ( I had a priest getting yelled at by a doctor every time she hit a enemy because he wanted the bodies whole for research. :stare: ) the majority of the difficulty seems to come from a xcom-esque two out of three attacks missing or being dodged despite full light, no stress, and debuffed enemies giving a 90+ hit chance. :argh:

The mash of AD&D with Cthulhu is bloody fantastic.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

limited posted:

The mash of AD&D with Cthulhu is bloody fantastic.

Honestly, I like the combat enough, that I think the game would be pretty decent even without the sanity mechanic. Having said mechanic just makes it better.

Also a whole party that has "masochistic" at once doesn't leave much for a healer to do.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cracked and bought it. This game is loving awesome. Unfortunately I lost both characters in the tutorial to a number of nasty crits and then the game decided that what I really needed was four plague doctors, but after a few dungeons my roster seems to be balancing out. Just got my first jester which I think will help keep my stress down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Notorious QIG posted:

Cracked and bought it. This game is loving awesome. Unfortunately I lost both characters in the tutorial to a number of nasty crits and then the game decided that what I really needed was four plague doctors, but after a few dungeons my roster seems to be balancing out. Just got my first jester which I think will help keep my stress down.

Ha! In my experience I can't keep plague doctors alive for nothing. Burned through three.

I kind of feel that the squishier classes need a tiny bit of a health buff or AI needs to prioritize the front line slightly more, because lots of big bads like the ball and chain pig monster can hit the back lane over and over, sometimes for as much as half their health. My last poor occultist never got a turn because he got hammered for half his health and stunlocked until he died. My poor Leper is up front trying to soak up hits but the monsters just plain ignore him.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This is A Good Game and is very nearly worth the $20 as is, let alone with the last third of the game still to come. These devs seem very active and communicate with the community as well. Buy it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Lotish posted:

Ha! In my experience I can't keep plague doctors alive for nothing. Burned through three.

I kind of feel that the squishier classes need a tiny bit of a health buff or AI needs to prioritize the front line slightly more, because lots of big bads like the ball and chain pig monster can hit the back lane over and over, sometimes for as much as half their health. My last poor occultist never got a turn because he got hammered for half his health and stunlocked until he died. My poor Leper is up front trying to soak up hits but the monsters just plain ignore him.

Obviously the solution is to have your squishier classes in the front. No lie, my Grave Robber takes more damage on the turns she's in position 3 than when shes' in the first 2 rows. (The actual reason this happens is because there's more monsters alive and un-stunned after her first action than after her second action.)

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Underwhelmed posted:

Honestly, I like the combat enough, that I think the game would be pretty decent even without the sanity mechanic. Having said mechanic just makes it better.

Also a whole party that has "masochistic" at once doesn't leave much for a healer to do.
I finally won one ( Highlight being the occultist killing himself during the final battle thanks to his fascination with killing ) but my graverobber just..

Probably should've noticed that 0% disease resist before butting my head against swine. :barf: Still, she stressed everyone else out by yelling 'Me next!' any time anyone took damage. Which caused the two crusaders I had to hulk out and smite everything in 1-2 hits. :stare:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So uh, yeah, I just got reamed really hard. Was doing the necromancer's apprentice quest, and like 4 rooms in I got surprised by a human party with two of the gunner types, even though I had a really high torch level. My melee was in the back two rows, my healer was out of position for healing, and I got crit twice by blanket fire (5 dmg on whole party), missed my stuns, and the turn order was such that I even had to pass with rear-most melee guy. Before I knew it, everyone in my party was at 20% hp without anyone in position still, so I had to bail on the fight and dungeon entirely. Now I have 1800 gold in the bank with my A-team fully stressed out.

Can I even recover from this position? How would it be possible?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh, yeah, I just got reamed really hard. Was doing the necromancer's apprentice quest, and like 4 rooms in I got surprised by a human party with two of the gunner types, even though I had a really high torch level. My melee was in the back two rows, my healer was out of position for healing, and I got crit twice by blanket fire (5 dmg on whole party), missed my stuns, and the turn order was such that I even had to pass with rear-most melee guy. Before I knew it, everyone in my party was at 20% hp without anyone in position still, so I had to bail on the fight and dungeon entirely. Now I have 1800 gold in the bank with my A-team fully stressed out.

Can I even recover from this position? How would it be possible?

Upgrade your stagecoach to bring in 4 new heroes each rotation. Send them into dungeons without provisions to gather as much stuff as possible, abandon the dungeon, then send them in again or fire them. Repeat until your A-team has enough gold for booze.

Though now that I have a hang on the combat system it's actually not so bad to send rookies into short dungeons without provisions and complete it (with them all going crazy and some dying of course). Stuns are pretty OP; especially when your just blanketing them down. My go-to has been a hellion for the front double stuns and a plague doctor for the double back stuns. Then an occultist for utility and a bounty hunter to do all the killing.

Apple2o fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lotish posted:

A lot of the enemies that focus the back line can be stopped by repositioning them. If they're in the front, try moving them to the back, and vice versa. If they're resistant to movement, try to move other enemies to push them back/forward.

My entire game plan is movement/repositioning skills, pure damage, an Occultist spamming heals, and an optional Vestal spamming heals. It seems like "Kill it really fast" is the best solution to every encounter (though the Hag is the only boss fight I've done) and any time I try to use status effects and stuns I get wrecked. If you're going balls-out with two or three DPS characters, things will die so fast that your healer(s) will keep your party topped off through the entire dungeon, you'll barely take any stress damage because things die before they can crit you, etc. Most fights are over for me in 2-3 turns.

e: though I suppose with level 3-4 party members I should start doing level 5 quests at this point.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 4, 2015