Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kaubocks posted:

I also like playing Smash Brothers the video game where the goal is to ensure that the opponent cannot get back on the stage but I dislike using a strategy that ensures the opponent cannot get back on the stage.

look, all im saying is that you are a big babby if you like ledgehogging, no offense. a big fat baby.

e: a big ol baby with a poopy diaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

if you don't think ledgehogging is dishonorable then why would they get rid of it? they got rid of it because pretty much exactly what reiley said. it's not as satisfying as getting a real confirmed KO. i stand by what I said; they want people to get KOs in smash by actually smashing people into the blast zone. that's what every change made in this game compared to brawl and melee is going for. you can not like it, but that is definitely the reasoning.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

laplace posted:

I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning
Wow!!!!!

laplace posted:

SO yeah, IDK, you can consider my observations strange, disagree with them, think smash should be a party game or whatever, that's cool.
literally no one was saying that

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

mabels big day posted:

if you don't think ledgehogging is dishonorable then why would they get rid of it? they got rid of it because pretty much exactly what reiley said. it's not as satisfying as getting a real confirmed KO. i stand by what I said; they want people to get KOs in smash by actually smashing people into the blast zone. that's what every change made in this game compared to brawl and melee is going for. you can not like it, but that is definitely the reasoning.

ledgehogging was also pretty easy to do, so it was pretty lame that it got kills.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not nearly as fun or cool as killing people by jumping off after them and smacking them down into the abyss, thanks for listening

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

laplace posted:

I am sorry you feel bad about someone else's hobbies on the internet. Maybe you should play some Smash and get those negative feelings out.

Something Awful doesn't like it when anyone is good at anything.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
thread rated (THANK GOD YOU VOTED)

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
We've reached that time in the thread again where I am not sure if people legit believe in the 'video game honor code' that so pervades the SSB playerbase and are trolling laplace for that or if this is all one big metajoke.

Of the mechanics changes the one to ledgehogging is the least egregious one imo. I still contend the worst things to happen are the introduction of multiple air dodges and the strength of defensive options.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

laplace posted:

IDK what's so lol about that, knowledge is easy to learn with the wealth of resources and I spend most of my time practicing and watching competitive smash. I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning. I'm going to two tournaments this weekend having just come off of going to three in the past week. I don't think its weird to say I play quite a bit of smash. I recently talked to someone in my crew who's played for like, 12 years (started playing with Ken back in 2003) who is convinced I play more smash than he ever has.

What's your tag?

laplace posted:

Smash is a pretty lucrative hobby if your local scene is healthy. We have a player here who took like triple what I've made in a single semester, to the point where he quit his day job just to go to tournaments. Smash is growing really quickly so now is the time to get into it, especially if you're good at Smash 4 because that is essentially free money.

What's his tag?

most erotic flower
Mar 9, 2006

aww yiss
motha
fuckin
titties
Is a shine spike more or less dishonorable than an edgehog? Asking for a friend

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

most erotic flower posted:

Is a shine spike more or less dishonorable than an edgehog? Asking for a friend

A spike is the single most manly thing you can do, and is not dishonorable at all.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

the yikes! guy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning.

I respect that a lot.

most erotic flower
Mar 9, 2006

aww yiss
motha
fuckin
titties
Hey does anybody know when VODs will be up for Apex 2015? Also, did Ganondorf see any action in Smash 4?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I respect that a lot.

Me too actually

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Maple Leaf posted:

What's your tag?

I go by a few tags, at regionals I usually play under the tag WORST. I'm ranked 5th in my state and 9th in my region and am also the highest ranked Samus and Marth in Montana. Not sure about Idaho or Utah but I moneymatched all the other Samuses and Marths that would play me there and beat them all, so that should count for something.

Edit: I've also played a bit on the east coast (first smash tourney was a brawl tourney lol) and I learned how to play the game for the first 4 months while I was living in Kyushu. While I was living in Japan I used the tag Yowamushi/4064. There might be footage of me playing under that tag but I am not sure.

I think the next big tourney I'll be going to is Black Wolf in Spokane on the 21st, if anyone is going and wants to play me.

Maple Leaf posted:

What's his tag?

The people I played with primarily are SFS Awe and Lucky 7s. I also play with the FCZ crew, though they're not known super well yet. There's also RustySneakers but he moved to Socal and only comes back once in a while.

mabels big day posted:

I respect that a lot.

Gotta learn techskill somehow

laplace fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 4, 2015

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

mabels big day posted:

A spike is the single most manly thing you can do, and is not dishonorable at all.

any attack owns, use all attacks to kill youre enemies

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Sometimes you turn the match around in the nick of time.

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 4, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

laplace posted:

I've had a gamecube controller in my hands since 7am this morning.

Nice.

Speaking of which, is the Gamecube controller important or is the Wii U one servicable enough? I'm sucking on the Wii U controller, but not sure if it's because I'm a crotchety old hag who hates change or if the Gamecube is still a better controller for this game. I tried remapping the buttons to mirror the Gamecube's better, but it still just doesn't feel right. On the other hand, if it's just me being a big baby then I'd rather relearn on the Wii U then shell out a ridiculous amount of money for an adapter.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

Nice.

Speaking of which, is the Gamecube controller important or is the Wii U one servicable enough? I'm sucking on the Wii U controller, but not sure if it's because I'm a crotchety old hag who hates change or if the Gamecube is still a better controller for this game. I tried remapping the buttons to mirror the Gamecube's better, but it still just doesn't feel right. On the other hand, if it's just me being a big baby then I'd rather relearn on the Wii U then shell out a ridiculous amount of money for an adapter.

I used the gamepad for a while. It and I would imagine the pro controller are totally fine.

That being said after playing Smash games for a decade using the GCN controller I just had to get an adapter for it to feel right.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Cuckoo posted:

Nice.

when i was playing on 3ds i turned the default buttons clockwise, so B was gamecube A, Y was gamecube B, and the other two were jump. that worked out pretty well until i got smash wiiu and could go back to a gamecube controller.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Nice.

Use what you are comfortable with. The Wii U controllers are perfectly serviceable.

One of the guys in my area plays with Wiimote + Nunchuk. Anything can be used well.

I prefer the gamecube controller because I like the throw on the triggers a lot and I think it's pretty comfortable. It won't necessarily make you a better player to use one over the other.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
if you can get good with a non-gamecube controller you can avoid all the hassle of trying to find a gamecube controller adapter!!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

^^^ Me get good at anything made before a decade ago hahahahahaha :corsair:

laplace posted:

Use what you are comfortable with. The Wii U controllers are perfectly serviceable.

One of the guys in my area plays with Wiimote + Nunchuk. Anything can be used well.

I prefer the gamecube controller because I like the throw on the triggers a lot and I think it's pretty comfortable. It won't necessarily make you a better player to use one over the other.

I know one controller over the other isn't some magic pro secret, but was wondering if the remapped buttons were different enough to throw people off. Guess not. And Sakurai bless the people who can do ANYTHING on the Wiimote/Nunchuk, gently caress that thing.

Anyway, guess I'll keep tapping away at it and switch to a Gamecube adapter if it just isn't happening. Are there any adapter offbrands that work well but don't charge Nintendo money? (I saw mention of a couple of brands way back, but this thread has over 100 pages and I can't find it again.)

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

When I play with Classic/pro I like to switch the triggers with the bumpers and set Y to grab, but other than that its just a matter of learning the controller. I don't think any is inherently better but I do love the GC controller.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ChaosArgate posted:

It's dumb losing a stock at early percentages because someone pushed you a little too far down, but not far enough for you to miss the edge but you miss anyway because someone decided to grab the ledge first.

Sounds like you got outplayed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My 2cents is that it is really funny whenever a melee player goes "it's faster and more fun for people to watch" because if you imply ledgehogging or something isn't fun to watch at all 9 times out of 10 they freak the gently caress out about how cerebral it is to walk off a platform in a video game so you don't have to do anything. I don't give 10 shits about it please melee player stop trying to tell me it's cool because to me a viewer it is not.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's Cool

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Edgeguarding is literally a 0 effort win button. If you do it, it pushes you right to the win screen because you are a cheater and you found the way to break the game. There's literally no way to deal with it other than to turn off the game and cut your hands off. No one can win against you if you edgeguard because it overwrites every single option available to every player all the time and if you get edgeguarded it isn't your fault for playing poorly or predictably its just that one person is doing an unfun thing that cheats you out of your incredibly well deserved stage. None of their planning matters and the build up to it is all a lie because the only thing that matters is you fell of the stage and that's not fun to watch or play.

Go play a real game like playstation all stars where the only kills that count are ones you get with your super, because that is more real and tangible and than any other form of taking advantage. Real winners are determined though Kratos dittos.

laplace fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 4, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No one's saying it's a zero effort instawin they're just saying it's lame as gently caress

It's not satisfying to do and it's not fun to watch

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

laplace posted:

Edgeguarding is literally a 0 effort win button. If you do it, it pushes you right to the win screen because you are a cheater and you found the way to break the game. They'res literally no way to deal with it other than to turn off the game and cut your hands off. No one can win against you if you edgeguard because it overwrites every single option available to every player all the time and if you get edgeguarded it isn't your fault for playing poorly or predictably its just that one person is doing an unfun thing that cheats you out of your incredibly well deserved stage. None of their planning matters and the build up to it is all a lie because the only thing that matters is you fell of the stage and that's not fun to watch or play.

Go play a real game like playstation all stars where the only kills that count are ones you get with your super, because that is more real and tangible and than any other form of taking advantage. Real winners are determined though Kratos dittos.

I'm glad that you finally understand

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think it would be cool to see smash bros try out a more traditional super system. obviously they'd be way less powerful than final smashes and not the playstation all-stars way of having them be the only way to get points, but i think it could be interesting. p:m plays with the idea a little bit by letting lucario use enhanced versions of his special moves by spending aura that builds up every 50% of damage he does.

idk there's a lot of things i think it would be cool to see smash experiment more with.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Being able to actually use Final Smashes aka supers in this example would be cool as heck.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
When it's 1 stock each and one player jumps down to try to kill the other player it's interesting and cool.

When it's 1 stock each and one player grabs the ledge and the other player dies it's less interesting and cool.

peace

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

sharrrk posted:

i think it would be cool to see smash bros try out a more traditional super system. obviously they'd be way less powerful than final smashes and not the playstation all-stars way of having them be the only way to get points, but i think it could be interesting. p:m plays with the idea a little bit by letting lucario use enhanced versions of his special moves by spending aura that builds up every 50% of damage he does.

idk there's a lot of things i think it would be cool to see smash experiment more with.

little mac's ko meter is essentially a super meter but its kinda stupid that you have an indeterminate amount of time to use it or you lose it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

Edgeguarding is literally a 0 effort win button. If you do it, it pushes you right to the win screen because you are a cheater and you found the way to break the game. They'res literally no way to deal with it other than to turn off the game and cut your hands off. No one can win against you if you edgeguard because it overwrites every single option available to every player all the time and if you get edgeguarded it isn't your fault for playing poorly or predictably its just that one person is doing an unfun thing that cheats you out of your incredibly well deserved stage. None of their planning matters and the build up to it is all a lie because the only thing that matters is you fell of the stage and that's not fun to watch or play.

same

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sharrrk posted:

the crowd reacting to what you do has always been pureply flavor and I would love to see a system where pleasing the crowd got you stuff/super moves in a Paper Mario TTYD kind of way

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dieting Hippo posted:

little mac's ko meter is essentially a super meter but its kinda stupid that you have an indeterminate amount of time to use it or you lose it

As far as I know, the timer is constant.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

As far as I know, the timer is constant.

there probably is but in the heat of battle i can't really track it until i go to use it and i lose it the second i press b

• Locked thread