Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Moriatti posted:

So I just played the X-Wing starter, and was excited to try the Star Trek version of the game, but from what I'm reading it's bad now?
Should I stick to X-wings only? Is mixing an ok or good idea? Or is Trek actually not bad?

It depends on how you want to play it. The casual game is fine if you're playing with cool peeps for a laugh and sticking somewhat close to "canon", and it reflects the theme pretty well.

Approaching it strictly as a constructed win-at-all-costs game with no regard to theme now breaks it entirely. The competitive/organized scene started out decent and fun, but there was an increasingly brisk pace of releases that seemed poorly tested among each other. This resulted in an ever-increasing number of odd interactions, weird rulings, skew builds, and degenerate strategies. Now the meta has coalesced around maybe 2-3 builds where maybe 2-3 ships out of dozens of releases are viable. The final nail seemed to be releasing the Borg, hugely powerful ships that ignored the basic maneuvering mechanics of the game with omnidirectional movement and firing without any additional cost factored into the ships to account for their increased power.

It's a loving mess now if you and the people you're playing with approach it as a no-holds-barred building game where the goal is strictly to win, and fixing it is going to be a chore. I'm reasonably sure the 50-point cap thing is just probably just going to skew it a different way rather than balance it.

E: Note this criticism refers to the "default" game in the according-to-Hoyle rules. Local TO's may concoct venue rules that reign certain things in, and I'd say are basically on the front lines of saving the fuckin' game from itself.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Cool , if they don't talk well, I'll just see which my mates prefer

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Those of you who predicted that fan-favorite Locutus would be included in the ridiculously expensive giant Borg Cube may collect your noprize.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Won RiF event #1 with my Borg Scrotum. 1 naked sphere, 1 with tac drone and Ablative. Pulled the random Kazon ship which was pretty decent. Beat a super Voyager, a super Cube and a super Borg Queen ship. Prize ship cards are ok overall. Putting Borg tech on a Valdore might be fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I really like the captain off the prize ship. He's a cheap captain that pops to skill 10 when you want to be skill 10 most.

I like the idea of putting him on the Scimitar with a Tactical Officer and the Romulan Microwave.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Heres my tentative RiF month 2 Rebel list. Im not really used to Feds or Faction pure so input is welcome.

U.S.S Voyager (30)
Flagship (Ind Romulan) (10)
Picard (6)
Sulu (3)
Tom Paris (4)

Enterprise E
Capt Spock (4)
Dorsal Phaser Array (6)

90 points (95 -1 for each card)

Hopefully they go for Voyager first and I can pull a decent attack value ship from the blind buy. I dont really fear any super ship type builds but double Borg spheres might suck if they 1 turn kill the Enterprise. As long as I can trade it for 1 sphere the same round Voyager should pull out an endgame 1v1. Thoughts?

edit I could downgrade the Enterprise to the generic if theres some 2point upgrade that will get me something better than 1 extra shield.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 21, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

May as well downgrade the E to the Sovereign if you can think of something to do with the points as you aren't getting anything out of the text. Maybe Kyle for cheap shield regen. Is your venue saddled with the 50 point cap? I'm not doing that poo poo here.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 22, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The big cube is on display at my store and looks cool and like it would be pretty with a light mod and a drybrush.

I do not understand why they priced its squadron point value like they did. I get that its weird base mechanics and the real estate it covers might be worth something, but like 40 points?

Outside the novelty, I don't see it being that fun to play. Even if it weren't super fragile for its point cost, there aren't any tactical decisions to make with it b/c it has like practically 9 legal placements on the board and you won't have enough points to give it upgrades.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Haha its 26 points more expensive than flagshipping a reg cube to get 1 extra shield. Jesus this game really makes no sense some times. Locutus seems pretty meh for a captain card too.

Heres what im thinking about for RIF 3 aka the "dont actually play the scenario" scenario.

Assimilated D'Deridex 32
Flagship Ind (Dom) 10
Borg Ablative hul 10

Borg Sphere (38)
total 90

52 points for a 4 attack dice ship is hard to justify but 11 hull while cloaked with 7 defense and a free target lock seem too good to pass up. I really just want an excuse to use the borg D'deridex but Ill sub it out if it'll end up costing me the RIF end prize. I took double sphere last event and got rocked by a 3 ship dominion list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did anyone win a Gorn ship from the arena OP that wants to offload it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Did anyone win a Gorn ship from the arena OP that wants to offload it?

I actually think I've got a spare one kicking around I'll check. I'd let it go for twenty bucks, shipped if you're in the good ol' US of A if that's fair?

I still can't bring myself to spring for plat so e-mail me at panicatthesisko at g mail dot cooom.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I actually think I've got a spare one kicking around I'll check. I'd let it go for twenty bucks, shipped if you're in the good ol' US of A if that's fair?

I still can't bring myself to spring for plat so e-mail me at panicatthesisko at g mail dot cooom.

So you haven't responded to my emails I'm wondering what's going on here?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there a way to make these ships not look like oversized micro-machines without being an Ultimate WarHam level painter? I play X-Wing and love it and I want to like this game, but the models look atrocious.

Also, is the Defiant out of print? Can't find it anywhere but eBay.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there a way to make these ships not look like oversized micro-machines without being an Ultimate WarHam level painter? I play X-Wing and love it and I want to like this game, but the models look atrocious.

Also, is the Defiant out of print? Can't find it anywhere but eBay.

If it's got a bit of texture a soft bodied wash can bring that out p easy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So before I go spend an idiotic amount of money on eBay, is anyone looking to sell some of their pieces? Mainly looking for Fed and Klingon.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I am, actually. Have most of the OP stuff through the end of the first borg arc, too. An actual list would have to wait until tomorrow evening, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SpikeMcclane posted:

I am, actually. Have most of the OP stuff through the end of the first borg arc, too. An actual list would have to wait until tomorrow evening, though.

I'm definitely interested.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Sorry for the delay, but you've got a PM now with the list of everything.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This is too much stuff and I'm getting a little burnt out on the game. I'm thinking I'll ditch my Dominion and Indy stuff, at a minimum. If anyone is interested, I'll come up with a list.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Sorry for the delay, but you've got a PM now with the list of everything.

Sent you a PM.

Otisburg posted:

This is too much stuff and I'm getting a little burnt out on the game. I'm thinking I'll ditch my Dominion and Indy stuff, at a minimum. If anyone is interested, I'll come up with a list.

I'd possibly be interested in the Dominion stuff.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm also looking for a USS Defiant, so uh... Let me know.

Side note, what's the minimum investment I could make to field Picard and Sisko in the Ent D and Defiant and fill that team to 100 pts? Is that doable?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moriatti posted:

I'm also looking for a USS Defiant, so uh... Let me know.

Side note, what's the minimum investment I could make to field Picard and Sisko in the Ent D and Defiant and fill that team to 100 pts? Is that doable?

P sure just the starter an xpac can be kitted out to 100.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Otisburg posted:

P sure just the starter an xpac can be kitted out to 100.

Then that's my goal. Thank you!

Otisburg posted:

It depends on how you want to play it. The casual game is fine if you're playing with cool peeps for a laugh and sticking somewhat close to "canon", and it reflects the theme pretty well.
Basically it's a 4th faction for Board Game Night's X-Wing games that I might get more Attack Wing to play proper with later. Since I'm the only one there who is gonna prefer Trek to Star Wars, I'll be piloting this faction and don't care if it's a bit underpowered.

Edit: apparently I asked this same thing months ago and I should really get enough sleep at nights or something because I forgot but somehow quoted a response post and... What?

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 21, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Edit: I'm a total dipshit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's cool. This is a forgettable game at this point, so forgetting you posted about it is okay. Ugh what a mismanaged mess. It's the flipper baby that you keep in the attic ant try to love in spite of itself.

But yeah just using those two ships you can go over 100 squadron points easy, and actually have to pare down to meet the cap:

List Name

U.S.S Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Engage (3)
Geordi LaForge (4)
Data (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Ship SP: 57

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Attack Pattern Omega (3)
Worf (3)
Jadzia Dax (4)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Cloaking Device (4)
Ship SP: 54

Total Build SP: 111

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Of course you're necessarily not getting as cool and good a build as if you got even more fed ships, but whatever. It obviously keeps it super thematic not being able to put Spock on the Defiant.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is it possible to grab the Sutherland or something? It's be neat to have the Ent D crew command separate ships too.

I was looking into it, and it seems like if I save some iconic ships on faction only list, it may be good for occasionally mixing into X-Wang with my buddies. I'll just be choosey.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Is it possible to grab the Sutherland or something? It's be neat to have the Ent D crew command separate ships too.

I was looking into it, and it seems like if I save some iconic ships on faction only list, it may be good for occasionally mixing into X-Wang with my buddies. I'll just be choosey.

Sutherland was a prize ship so a bit tougher to pick up since it'd be Ebay, but the ent e, voyager, and either connie enterprise all have neat stuff.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Moriatti posted:

I've got a Sutherland if you're interested. Toss me a PM. I've got prizes from the whole dominion war until I got tired of the game not being on the same level of xwing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's really not. :smith:

The brisker release schedule and more robust OP support seemed cool till it became clear playtesting a sound game was taking a back seat to commoditizing the liscence. Or rather being dragged thru the gravel behind the car.

My thread title ended up being more spot on than I imagined. TOing this mess for the handfull that stil l play is bij.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

PJOmega posted:

I've got a Sutherland if you're interested. Toss me a PM.

I uh... I don't actually have PMs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think my new favorite ship is

Scimitar
Picard
Flagship
Romulan Helmsman
Pavel Checkov

Perma cloak/Kturns because every move is green

Add Borg Alliance and an Ablative if you wnana go hogwild on a dreadnaught

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the things that's just exhausting about this game is that you can't really talk builds universally anymore, because of all the local restrictions people had to bake up to try to fix this garbage.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

One of the things that's just exhausting about this game is that you can't really talk builds universally anymore, because of all the local restrictions people had to bake up to try to fix this garbage.

That's some meta poo poo right there. Instead of discussing fleet composition, you're discussing laws that govern space battles themselves.

That's Trek as gently caress.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That's some meta poo poo right there. Instead of discussing fleet composition, you're discussing laws that govern space battles themselves.

That's Trek as gently caress.

The new Data captain from next month's thing looks neat. And the first month of the next OP arc has a Excelsior prize!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If anyone wants a USS Stargazer I got two to spare. 25 bucks shipped (US). I'll throw in a copy of the fleet captain resource.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What happened to the sphere prize from the Q story? Now its another D'dreidex? Im drowning in those things along with bird of preys

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

What happened to the sphere prize from the Q story? Now its another D'dreidex? Im drowning in those things along with bird of preys

The dirty'dicks is the month 3 prize. The arc prize is some cards that do ???

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hmm I thought there was a sphere prize somewhere in a future event. Oh well the voyager one is the only real one I semi want

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Has anyone done 3D combat online? The module I'm reading has some and I'm trying to figure the best way to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2015/04/30/star-trek-attack-wing-announement/

Welp.

• Locked thread