Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gone Fishin loving owns, what the hell is wrong with you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

brozozo posted:

What's wrong with Jedi Knight on Steam?

I played it a litle while ago, I think the cutscenes don't play in full screen, 3d acceleration crashes it instantly, and some settings for 16x9 are there but not in a spot you'd expect. Also, going to the menu crashes the game every like 3rd time you do it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lucasarts lost the source code so the Steam release is a hacked together mess.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember that the stuff from Tilotny Throws a Shape is mentioned in the Darth Plagueis novel. And that one of the last Essential Guides used the Order of the Terrible Glare also, though I remember it makes it a part of the Jedi who participated in a racist crusade or something dull like that.

It also gave us Splendid Ap, and that is a wonderful thing (or cone).

Yeah, the guide (EGTW) says some Jedi chose to remain loyal to the Pius Dea Crusader Republic (basically the WH40K Imperium but IN STAR WARS) rather than the isolationist Jedi Order, and when the Pius Dea got whacked, those ex-Jedi fled and slowly evolved their own weird cult.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The Gungans.

I beg to differ, the ruins on Naboo clearly show that the Gungans were the dominant species before the humans' arrival so they probably ruled the galaxy at some point too, millions of years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I beg to differ, the ruins on Naboo clearly show that the Gungans were the dominant species before the humans' arrival so they probably ruled the galaxy at some point too, millions of years ago.

I think it was the Essential Atlas that (even if it wasn't explicitly stated) made it so that every planet that had been shown to have ancient ruins on it or be mentioned as being part of an ancient civilization was just part of the Rakatan Empire from KOTOR, even when some of the planets' ruins were clearly not anything close to looking like Rakatans.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Here guys, have a Star Wars Humble Bundle if you feel the need to get any of these games if for some reason you don't have most of them already.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Here guys, have a Star Wars Humble Bundle if you feel the need to get any of these games if for some reason you don't have most of them already.
If they add the GOG version of TIE Fighter, I might bite on the highest tier. I'm just too lazy to get my CD copies working on my current machine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tobaccrow posted:

If they add the GOG version of TIE Fighter, I might bite on the highest tier. I'm just too lazy to get my CD copies working on my current machine.

The GOG forces you to choose between the updated engine version without the cool audio or the out-of-date floppy disk version :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have all of those except the Force Unleashed games, and I definitely don't feel the need to spend money on them, especially since I hear the PC ports were terrible.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Chairman Capone posted:

I have all of those except the Force Unleashed games, and I definitely don't feel the need to spend money on them, especially since I hear the PC ports were terrible.

I'm one of the only people who thought those games were great, but man did the FUII port suck. I had a monster gaming rig at the time but that game would grind to a halt at the slightest provocation. The end fight with Vader was a slideshow.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Issue #2 of the Star Wars comic continues to be good. What the gently caress is this, Star Wars isn't supposed to be good and fun

Like, it actually manages to capture the tone and feel of the original trilogy, which 99.9999% of EU material fails to do utterly.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Issue #2 of the Star Wars comic continues to be good. What the gently caress is this, Star Wars isn't supposed to be good and fun

Like, it actually manages to capture the tone and feel of the original trilogy, which 99.9999% of EU material fails to do utterly.

And Vader is loving badass throughout. :black101:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really loved how in these two issues so far Leia is willing to give up her life and the lives of everybody else on the mission for a CHANCE to kill Vader. That's a perfect example of working in the space between the movies to create new character moments.

I don't think Vader is ever as verbose in the movies as he is in the comics, but that's a symptom of the medium, I'm sure. Overall, I'm really impressed with these issues, and next there's a Darth Vader series written by Kieron Gillen!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guess I'm alone in not really liking them, then. The art's bad, none of the characters sound like how the characters would talk in the movies (I mean, Han calls Threepio something like a "blithering idiot" in the second issue... try imagining Harrison Ford saying that in a way that doesn't come across as how bored he was in the Holiday Special), the story is about as generic as can be, and it's over-packed with visual and dialogue callbacks to the movies. I guess it has the Marvel novelty factor going for it, since if this was put out by Dark Horse I can't believe anyone would be really paying it any attention.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I haven't read them, but the art sure blows.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Guess I'm alone in not really liking them, then. The art's bad, none of the characters sound like how the characters would talk in the movies (I mean, Han calls Threepio something like a "blithering idiot" in the second issue... try imagining Harrison Ford saying that in a way that doesn't come across as how bored he was in the Holiday Special), the story is about as generic as can be, and it's over-packed with visual and dialogue callbacks to the movies. I guess it has the Marvel novelty factor going for it, since if this was put out by Dark Horse I can't believe anyone would be really paying it any attention.

Yeah that all sounds amateur hour as hell. Also completely predictably so.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Whats the better audiobook to listen to that came out this year, Maul:Lockdown or Tarkin? I've listened to a bit of both, Maul:Lockdown seems to have the better sound effects.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I got really bored with Maul. I just wrapped up Tarkin and it's an awesome lawful evil buddy cop adventure with Tarkin and Vader as the buddy cops.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

I really loved how in these two issues so far Leia is willing to give up her life and the lives of everybody else on the mission for a CHANCE to kill Vader. That's a perfect example of working in the space between the movies to create new character moments.

I also liked how her reaction to Luke's act of compassion in Issue One. It reminded me of a tired mother when the kids bring home a kitten they found.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In Rebels news it's pretty much been confirmed that Ahsoka is Fulcrum. I saw that coming.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

LolitaSama posted:

Whats the better audiobook to listen to that came out this year, Maul:Lockdown or Tarkin? I've listened to a bit of both, Maul:Lockdown seems to have the better sound effects.

Lockdown is by Joe Schrieber who loving sucks.

Tarkin is by Luceno who is a goddamn treasure.

I really can't overstate how much Schrieber loving sucks. He is a blight who had Chewbacca blow the head off a baby Wookiee. gently caress. Him.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

LolitaSama posted:

Maul: Lockdown reminded me a bit of a Star Wars version of Superjail. Tarkin was a bit ridiculous, essentially a very long interstellar car chase. Lockdown has a great build up but just fizzles out in the end. Between them I'd recommend Tarkin.

I've been trying to pick up various Star Wars novels (currently on Last of the Jedi, which is either a sequel to the Coruscant Nights trilogy or the Clone Commando series--they all blend together for me) but too many of them wallow in long exposition, interpersonal drama, flat dialogue, etc. The longer the series, the worse it gets. Anyone have a recommendation for a fairly recent Star Wars book that isn't like this?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

khamul posted:

I've been trying to pick up various Star Wars novels (currently on Last of the Jedi, which is either a sequel to the Coruscant Nights trilogy or the Clone Commando series--they all blend together for me) but too many of them wallow in long exposition, interpersonal drama, flat dialogue, etc. The longer the series, the worse it gets. Anyone have a recommendation for a fairly recent Star Wars book that isn't like this?

Scoundrels. Also, Kenobi.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, I still need to get around to reading Kenobi. But yeah, I really loved Scoundrels. It was such a refreshingly different tone for a Star Wars book, and also something completely different from Zahn's other stuff, too.

Tarkin made more sense when I saw someone mention how it's really a rogue submarine hunt movie, just the submarine is a spaceship.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
So far on book 12 of the new jedi order. Why can't I stop reading these stupid things and why am I actually enjoying them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Darth Freddy posted:

So far on book 12 of the new jedi order. Why can't I stop reading these stupid things and why am I actually enjoying them.

Because entertainment is only vaguely related to quality.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Darth Freddy posted:

After star by star, it gets better for about five books, then gets lovely again. The Allston duology, traitor, and the force heretic trilogy, and destiny were fun reads. Then the last two are just weird and dumb.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The last fifty pages of The Unifying Force are probably the least satisfying parts of the entire series.

1) Luke and Jacen face off against a record number of super soldiers. Cliche.
2) Said super soldiers get loving clowned in like two pages.
3) "The reveal"
4) Jacen becomes a being of such pure force connection and righteousness that the bad guy just kind of dies and then melts. Seriously what the gently caress.
5) Nom Anor dies in the bitchiest, most out of character way possible.

Nothing but missed opportunity.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Traitor is a good book. It might be the last point, chronologically, that the EU has anything to offer. It's everything the NJO books should've been — dark, smart, violent, and full of weird unthinkable heresy about the foundational elements of Star Wars.

And yeah Strobe is correct about Unifying Force. A bunch of stuff happens but none of it has any weight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Echoing that Traitor is excellent. Stover is pretty good at Star Wars in general. His novelization of Revenge of the Sith makes the movie worth watching again for the different perspective.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Strobe posted:

4) Jacen becomes a being of such pure force connection and righteousness that the bad guy just kind of dies and then melts. Seriously what the gently caress.

Jacen is the worst main character of the Star Wars EU. I can't read anything about him anymore without cringing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jacen was cool in Traitor.

This is not because he was Jacen, it's because it was in Traitor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The problem is that Traitor is a huge step forward in Jacen's arc, and afterwards he needs to be a really different character with a driving role in the story, doing something like taking over Vong civilization by cultural means, or forcing them into a position of strategic and moral compromise in which they can coexist with the rest of the galaxy as part of society instead of insane fanatics. Or starting his own academy for people who don't recognize any inherent morality in the Force.

Nobody wanted to do that kind of work on the status quo, so the rest of the EU was spent rolling Jacen back into something manageably boring. Instead of a huge step forward, or at least sideways, in understanding the Force and the Vong, he becomes just another part of the endless Sith-Jedi-Empire-Rebellion civil war story.

At least that's what I hear, I didn't read anything after Unifying Force.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's pretty much the truth. He goes all Jedi Mystic and wanders the galaxy for a few years, ends up being the indirect cause of the next war in the setting through time travel (sorta). Then he deliberately and very obviously forgets everything he knew about a-morality and dives into full on im-morality in order to unite the Alliance by starting a big war and being dark and evil.

Boring as poo poo.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Strobe posted:

Jacen was cool in Traitor.

This is not because he was Jacen, it's because it was in Traitor.

Traitor made every character in it better and it is a shame that they have to exist outside of it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

karmicknight posted:

Traitor made every character in it better and it is a shame that they have to exist outside of it.

At least one doesn't!

"None shall pass"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

At least one doesn't!

"None shall pass"

Ganner was one of the coolest characters in the EU, I don't care what anyone says.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

At least one doesn't!

"None shall pass"

I remember not liking Ganner before reading Traitor, which I feel helps my point somehow.

edit: Also, he's the luck one, get's a climatic death in a well written book, others were not so fortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

Echoing that Traitor is excellent. Stover is pretty good at Star Wars in general. His novelization of Revenge of the Sith makes the movie worth watching again for the different perspective.

And Shatterpoint, of course.