Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nyaa posted:

It's pretty much the norm now to be able to summon a bunch of monster in one turn. Especially for rush archetype like x-saber and blackwing.

Pendulum is like an archetype itself that requires its archetype cards (pendulum monster) to work at its best, but it is a bit more compatible to combine it with other deck. You don't usually get a stronger deck as the result of mixing archetype, and only gain a lessen capabilities of both archtype. Mixing pendulum would make summoning much faster along with all the pendulum gimmicks. Assuming it is compatible.

Is it OP? I would say some focused archetype deck can do better in term of current meta, so... Not yet? :shrug:

Pendulum is rushing without all the involved steps that usually go into rushing. Draw/search two monsters and bam you can rush out some monsters.
Also there are some pendulum cards that arent stuck to an archetype and are just plain good cards to boot.

example: Star/Timegazer magicians. They need each other to work their 1-8 scale magic but their spell/trap non-activation effects are pretty good and you can search them with Odd-eyes pendulum dragon's pendulum effect.
Stargazer's normal effect is a bit eh though.

Hell you could throw Timegazer into your pendulum focused deck and be all the better for it. Most pendulum archetypes have a scale 7 monster so you can still get 4-7 and blocked trap activation.

But to expand on what you said: If a deck can already handle rushing and special summons then it can handle Pendulums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xoidanor posted:

Only when combined with tons of free plusses, free flips every day, multiple re-usable searchers and boss monsters which are literally unaffected by all effects in the game. gently caress Qliphots. :shepicide:

I still find them less bullshit than almost every XYZ.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Senerio posted:

I still find them less bullshit than almost every XYZ.

I have no idea how you managed to reach that conclusion, considering that the closest thing to bullshit in the XYZ front (or at least the one I see more often) is Silent Honor Ark, which eliminates a single Special Summoned monsters before dying an ignominous death against the second decent monster you put out there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The pack that premiered Silent Honor Ark was the Yugioh equivalent to the day of Lavos. It changed everything, suddenly every boss monster needed to have inherit protection or be super easy to summon to stay competitive.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New episode of ARC-V is pretty drat crazy. From NeoArkCradle's "MasterGhost":

quote:

• Reiji is related to Leo by blood.
  • Leo basically ditched his corporation, his wife and sons to go to Academia, making it his base for the interdimensional war.
  • Leo's motive is, to verbatim, "to make all 4 dimensions into one".
  • Reiji accidentally went into the Fusion Dimension through some machine three years ago.
  • Serena was already locked inside Academia when Reiji went there three years ago. Basically she wants to join Leo's army so badly but Leo refuses.
  • One of Serena's monsters is called Moonlight Blue Cat.
  • Leo already possesses the technology to minimize interdimensional travel from a machine into simply just a wristband.
  • Leo plans to attack Synchro Dimension, but the Xyz Dimension has been his focus thus far for three years.
  • Back to the present, Serena comes to Standard to defeat the "Xyz scum" that Sora has been talking about, so that her ability would be recognized by Leo.
  • Reiji tries to offer her the option to work together to defeat Academia, but Serena rejects.
  • Professor/Leo allows Sora to return to Standard to defeat his Xyz scum, but now he is going with soldiers in blue suits known as OBELISK FORCE

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have no idea how you managed to reach that conclusion, considering that the closest thing to bullshit in the XYZ front (or at least the one I see more often) is Silent Honor Ark, which eliminates a single Special Summoned monsters before dying an ignominous death against the second decent monster you put out there.

Silent Honor Ark became outdated the moment they released Castel.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The original Duel Monsters anime will air in a "Remastered" version starting February 7th

And this has just showed up

It seems that is gonna be the follow up to Dragons of Legend

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Specifically:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Goddess_Skuld%27s_Oracle
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ground_Breaking
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Altar_of_Mist
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Gear_Statue
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ally_of_Justice_Tractor
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gimmick_Box
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Photon_World
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Strong_Shovel_Excavator
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gimmick_Puppet_Scarecrow
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Trust_Chain
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sandaion,_the_Timelord
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Zero
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_%28card%29
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Archetype

I gotta admit that I'm kinda stoked about Dark Archetype finally getting released. Although, I'm somewhat worried what restrictions they might put on it.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 3, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

I gotta admit that I'm kinda stoked about Dark Archetype finally getting released. Although, I'm somewhat worried what restrictions they might put on it.

Probably banish monsters from deck equal to summoned monster's level.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 3, 2015

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Nyaa posted:

It's pretty much the norm now to be able to summon a bunch of monster in one turn. Especially for rush archetype like x-saber and blackwing.

This seems to be the prime difference between what I was used to and and the current game.

I just picked up a Starter Set (possibly a recent-ish one, it's based around Pendulum monsters?) and someone kindly gave me the 2014 Mega Tin so I'm trying to get back into it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The original Duel Monsters anime will air in a "Remastered" version starting February 7th

That's a fake. YGO Organization just posted that it's a fake thing someone made on their own.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's a fake. YGO Organization just posted that it's a fake thing someone made on their own.

Too good to be true. :negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I hate Crow Hogan. But I don't hate Crow Hogan because of the character but for why he exists. See Crow wasn't intended to fulfill the Joey role in 5Ds, he was meant to be an ANTAGONIST in much the same vein that Kiryu is. But then Blackwings sold really loving well in real life so there was a heavy push for Crow to become a protagonist. Essentially replacing Aki which I hated because I liked Aki. But there's also the other things he got in the way of. Since he's a protagonist he has to Duel, so he'll duel Bommer... who was being set up to duel Rua, who had lost to him in the Fortune Cup. Instead Rua gets bumped to doing 90% of the work while Ruka has the most boring time consuming adventure (I hate pretty much all of Ruka's duels, they are painful, dull slogs.) only to basically be too injured so his sister can play out his final turn.

So gently caress Crow because I liked Aki and Rua and they had to suffer in obscurity thanks to him... Until the end of the Dark Signers was still an amazing experience though.

GX for me, dead in Season 3 like a lot of people. Because what I liked most about Judai in Season 1 and 2 was that ultimately, as 'Heavy' as things got, his mindset was always "It's a loving card game, have fun." Like... in the second episode Sho brings up "How about if we turned out to be the reincarnation of an ancient Pharaoh and his High Priest? (Or: Yugi and Seto) to which Judai basically laughs at the idea and essentially says "that would be dumb." except way more diplomatically. In short though the idea set up as early as the 2nd episode was "This will not be a serious drama about reincarnation and other such derpy dark stuff that codifies Season 3."

Even when Season 2 was at its most dramatic, it never ceased being really fun and enjoyable, though it did go on a loving long rear end time. But I don't think any series quite missed the point of the earlier season like GX Season 3 did.

Zexal is still terrible, I caught about 5 minutes of an episode on TV and declared "This is offiically the worst thing." People tell me that Zexal II gets better but really, all anyone needs to know is this.

See... Atem was subconciously using the puzzle to Destiny Draw whatever he wanted, but he never flat out invented a card specifically to get him out of a situation.
Judai is actually the most honest protagonist, he's got a Deck Size of 40 (See the Deck Destruction episode) but he's always seen in episodes retooling his deck. So he never cheats, he just side-boards ridiculously.
Yusei could summon the Savior series of dragons with the Crimson Dragon.... which lasts him until the end of the Dark Signers arc and promptly becomes useless. There's also the "Stone Tablet Cards" for Shooting Star etc. but everyone was running around with them by the end.
Yuya as we know created (Or had 'revealed') the Pendulum card type. presumably this'll be explained eventually. He also had a similar thing happen for Beast/Rune-Eyes, but even then...

None of that compares to Yuma. Yuma is the most ridiculous cheat in the series, because the rest of them have limits to their cheating or aren't conciously doing it in the case of Yuma and Yugi... but Yuma constantly CREATES CARDS MID DUEL SPECIFICALLY TO WIN THE DUEL. The ability is called "Shining Draw" and what it is, basically, is that Yuma creates a card needed to win the current situation and draws it to win the situation.

He also gets Re-Contract universe that's detailed above or "I can't beat you with the cards in my hand, so I'm modifying a card in full view of you to win." Also known as "Cheating".

There is one moment in all of Zexal where this cheating is actually hilarious, because the bad guys get their own similar ability to do that, and one of them gets riled up in his duel with the heroes, and thus uses it to draw his busted rear end broken cheat card.... only to realize that the card couldn't help him as the board state was in the one state that the card was useless. I laughed so hard when I read that, because while I've not seen the scene in question, the hilarity of an antagonist going full on evil rage mode, drawing his cheat card only to realize "Oh crap I can't actually do anything" and then the music just sort of dying down as he meekly ends turn... Zexal almost definitly didn't do that. And I wont watch it because mentally it's the best scene in the show, and the actual show will ruin it.

Conversly, Arc-V is officially 'The Best Thing' and I'm having way more fun with this dumb multi-dimensional show than I ever expected.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

To be fair though, when the fate of three fuckin' worlds is at state, I think cheating to defeat the villain is a perfectly fair thing to do.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

TBH I found Re-Contract Universe to be one of the most ridiculous (in a good way!) things in ZeXal, and I was sad that it didn't show up again.

I feel like ZeXal was cancelled. They never explain whats up with ZeXal or the Door of Destiny, or how Yuma's dad knew what was going to happen in the future, and they shoehorned in the "Yuma is a piece of Astral" in the last episode. It's perfectly okay that it ended like it did, though, because it had its chance and Arc-V is way better from the very beginning.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I heard Zexal was really popular in Japan though, so I don't know why it'd be cancelled. Or am I misinformed?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Silento posted:

TBH I found Re-Contract Universe to be one of the most ridiculous (in a good way!) things in ZeXal, and I was sad that it didn't show up again.

I feel like ZeXal was cancelled. They never explain whats up with ZeXal or the Door of Destiny, or how Yuma's dad knew what was going to happen in the future, and they shoehorned in the "Yuma is a piece of Astral" in the last episode. It's perfectly okay that it ended like it did, though, because it had its chance and Arc-V is way better from the very beginning.

That's probably true of all the spinoffs. Each one always felt unfinished to me. Especially GX.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I heard Zexal was really popular in Japan though, so I don't know why it'd be cancelled. Or am I misinformed?

Yeah, it was pretty big in Japan. It's got a lot of the stuff that Japanese audiences eat up; catchphrases, puns, exaggerated expressions, those omake scenes at the end of the episodes, etc.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

That's probably true of all the spinoffs. Each one always felt unfinished to me. Especially GX.
GX feels like it was a victim of repeated executive meddling to me, that resulted in a rushed half-season for season 4. It's a shame. GX is still my favorite series of the bunch.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't know if it's true, but there was a pretty common rumor that the show was cut short because of issues with KENN's contract. Something about them not wanting to renew it for another year when they probably wouldn't need him for the entire year.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
GX was definitly cancelled, rumor was that Judai's VA requested a pay rise and that was the end of that. Conversly the GX manga got cancelled because the Zexal manga came out to replace it, so right in the middle of its storyline it quickly wrapped up everything for a quick final duel. 5Ds to me is less "Cancelled" and more "Stretched out far beyond what it should have been" because to me personally it ended at the Dark Signers. There's some fun filler afterwards but the show is very clearly at a loss for what to do plot-wise and just killing time until the finale. Which yes is somehow amazing. I think the 5Ds manga has concluded though I don't think it was replaced by an Arc-V one. It however is supremely awesome in a completely different way, Just don't go into it expecting "More 5Ds" because the protagonists are very different personality wise... also there's a Skeleton Knight who duels on horseback. It's the first real duel in the manga.

Zexal. See I hear it was popular and then I get reminded "They had to relaunch the show as Zexal II" so I don't know what's up with it. I don't want to watch to find out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm up to the beginning of the Maiami Championship in Arc-V. Chubby kid has slightly redeemed himself by...having a deck made up of hand-drawn dinosaurs? The gently caress? And Reiji's little brother is officially super loving creepy, and right now, I'm more interested in his deal than crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

New episode of ARC-V is pretty drat crazy. From NeoArkCradle's "MasterGhost":

Reiji is related to Leo by blood.

Are you sure about this? Because I didn't catch that at all, and I wouldn't say they look anything alike.

But more importantly, little Reiji apparently wore a sweater as part of his casual outfit. His dorky fashion sense is the best. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I'm up to the beginning of the Maiami Championship in Arc-V. Chubby kid has slightly redeemed himself by...having a deck made up of hand-drawn dinosaurs? The gently caress? And Reiji's little brother is officially super loving creepy, and right now, I'm more interested in his deal than crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

His deal is probably related to crazy alternate dimension shenanigans because Reiji is related to crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm feeling pretty nostalgic for yugioh right now. can someone give me an episode guide to skip filler? something like "x arc is not worth watching, skip these twenty episodes"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch them all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Are you sure about this? Because I didn't catch that at all, and I wouldn't say they look anything alike.

But more importantly, little Reiji apparently wore a sweater as part of his casual outfit. His dorky fashion sense is the best. :3:

That's not actually from me, it's from the original poster on the NeoArkCradle forums.

However, I'm pretty sure. Looks aren't much to go by though because there are several people in Yu-Gi-Oh that are blood related but don't look it.

DM:
Seto and Aknadin
Noa and Gozaboro
Atem and Akhenamkhanen
Jonouchi and Shizuka
All of the DOMA characters (don't remember much of DOMA so...maybe?)
Sigfried and Leonhart

GX:
Ryo and Sho

Zexal:
III, IV, V, and Tron

Probably Reiji and Reira from ARC-V too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's not actually from me, it's from the original poster on the NeoArkCradle forums.

However, I'm pretty sure. Looks aren't much to go by though because there are several people in Yu-Gi-Oh that are blood related but don't look it.

That's true, but I didn't see it specifically getting confirmed in the specific episode. The most direct line about it is Reiji saying he's Akaba Leo's son, but that's basically the same thing as when he said that Leo is his father in earlier episodes. It's an old detail either way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can't believe everything from NeoArkCradle because there were rumours circulating there for a while that Yuya and Gongenzaka would go to meet Shun this episode and Yuzu'd get carded by Yuuri. So they're not always accurate.

Also, it looks like pendulum summons are about to become a hell of a lot more common with this battle royale. Although I doubt we'll get more than one duel from each main character before it gets interrupted by the invading Obelisk Force! (which is a great stupid name)

I get the feeling Shun's going to help Yuya out in his two-on-one battle next ep though, since he's got Yuto's card. Or maybe Selena will show up to save Yuya like in Yuto's first appearance except in reverse.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I forsee Sora dueling Serena and losing again. I hope Sora gets to win eventually. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

I forsee Sora dueling Serena and losing again. I hope Sora gets to win eventually. :(

I'm guessing he's going to end up carding most of those LDS mooks, including that one that has a name. That counts right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only series with explicit filler is Duel Monsters, since that was the only one that was working off of a manga. GX, 5DS, and Zexal were all anime from the beginning.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

The only series with explicit filler is Duel Monsters, since that was the only one that was working off of a manga. GX, 5DS, and Zexal were all anime from the beginning.

You can still declare some episodes to be 'Filler' in the sense that they pad the show and don't have any overt plot relevance. Even if they aren't strictly filler as it's usually defined.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watching the Dub of Duel Monsters again on Netflix has made me appreciate just how good Dan Green actually is (beyond him being basically anime BRIAIN BLESSED).

For a ham handed script that forbid the standard Murder/death/kill, you did get the impression of Yugi being like "oh gently caress I nearly just killed Kaiba over a card game of all things" after their second duel.

Hearing Goury / Brock threatening to, and I quote "Remove [Pegasus'] Soul from [his] body" in his own way is just weird, though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i should have skipped the stupid noah and the cyberspace thing. kaiba literally says "well that was a complete waste of time and let's forget it ever happened"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

i should have skipped the stupid noah and the cyberspace thing. kaiba literally says "well that was a complete waste of time and let's forget it ever happened"
on the other hand, it has 'nice outfit, dork.'

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bullshit that the battle city finals aren't joey vs kaiba and yugi vs merrick, ending with yugi vs kaiba. when the gently caress are we going to see joey vs kaiba.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well I made it to Season 3 episode 28 (132) before I had to stop watching GX. I decided to skip to the last 3 episodes of Season 3 just to see what a trainwreck it is and loooooool

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

mabels big day posted:

bullshit that the battle city finals aren't joey vs kaiba and yugi vs merrick, ending with yugi vs kaiba. when the gently caress are we going to see joey vs kaiba.

Episodes 135, 136 and 137.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 5, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mabels big day posted:

It happens. And it is a pretty cool duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought a deck today, help