Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RoboCicero posted:

I love this game, but I am also garbage at this game. I've been going for the oasis recently even though I'm hopelessly outmatched just because it feels more fun that way, but now that I'm hitting the later levels with only two or three mutations I have a question.

how on earth do you kill Lil' Hunter without boiling veins

Each time he shows up I either one-shot him with a weapon and survive because of boiling veins, or I one-shot him with a weapon and I instantly die because I didn't have boiling veins. I've never really figured out Lil' Hunter's patterns or behaviors because if I try to clear out the area too quickly I'm fairly likely to get killed by a charging robot.

You need somewhere to run to when he dies where he's likely to jetpack in to a wall chasing you in his death sequence. It's pretty easy once you get used to it, just start running from your starting point and if you kill any enemies in the room or hallway adjacent to where you start you can pretty reliably kill Lil Hunter without blowing yourself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way I deal with Lil Hunter is basically by just never ever standing still while he's around. I basically don't even know what the guy looks like besides a blue and green blur because I am always moving.

He sounds so excited too. WAHAHAHA WOOUGH :byodood:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
New update dropped

Lots of good stuff, I only did a couple of runs,pizza boxes drop pizza now, something I thought they should do way way back, but just sort of forgot about. I didn't get to see what little hunter is like yet, but I have high hopes. I also have a hunch what the secret weapon is, but I'm going to look into that tomorrow.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
So new Little Hunter is completely ridiculous; he seems like he consistently drops in immediately at the start of the level, but away from you so the old cheese doesn't work. He also shoots at lot of bullet streams. I haven't gotten randomed out by him yet so I *think* he explodes alot earlier than before (post death, he has more health now), but I may be wrong about that. Possibly a funner fight now.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 1, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Well I got to try chicken's new throne butt that lets you run normally while in bullet time, it's absurd. Carried a sledgehammer and just ran into everything holding down right mouse and wildly swinging all the way through, got me a throne kill on the run I was just expecting to re-unlock characters.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xenogenesis posted:

So new Little Hunter is completely ridiculous; he seems like he consistently drops in immediately at the start of the level, but away from you so the old cheese doesn't work. He also shoots at lot of bullet streams. I haven't gotten randomed out by him yet so I *think* he explodes alot earlier than before (post death, he has more health now), but I may be wrong about that. Possibly a funner fight now.

Christ he's a cock. He seems like he's on par with the loop bosses now, but he drops on top of you and it's incredibly hard to deal with his weird shotgun-rifle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

First impression looks like he's way worse on levels where you actually have cover, and basically even more of a "gently caress you go home" on the levels where you spawn in the middle of hell because you need way more damage to burst him down now (which was basically your only chance to win on those levels before), and you're probably boned without cover.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Little Hunter is a terrible and unfun boss. They really need to rework him completely, you're just totally hosed with some level spawns regarding him.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

I don't think it's by design, last devstream I watched had him yelling "STUPID BUGGY GAME" when a weapon he wanted to use didn't come through with him.

It can't be stressed enough how fantastic the devs are (and how hilarious it is when they get annoyed with their own game). They're genuinely stoked at how well the game has been received so far, too.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One thing I did not realize that the big bandit can spawn on 1_1.
Thank god I had my golden grenade launcher ready. Yung Venuz rules.

e: Also the music in Y.Vs mansion is :krad:

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 1, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Little Hunter is a terrible and unfun boss. They really need to rework him completely, you're just totally hosed with some level spawns regarding him.

Considering I remember you being loving awesome at Realm Of The Mad God this really says something about how much of a shitmess that boss is. I died less in Tombs than on 5_3

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Chicken is broken now. Probably a bug.

The throne butt now makes it so you move normal speed during slowdown, which is fantastic. What they didn't say was that currently she always has a normal fire rate during the slowdown.

Once you have the throne butt there's no reason not to hold down right click the entire time. It's glorious.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh god, you're right. I managed to get an energy sword and an lightning rifle and it was hella fun tearing up things in slow-mo.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Xenogenesis posted:

I think it's the same problem as before, where the fight mostly depends on getting a good spawn area. I just fought him twice (won both times) in the new version, imo the changes just make the old problems with the fight worse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Chicken is the best so I'm glad she's broken at the moment

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Having fought him a few times now, the way you wanna fight Lil Hunter is really the same, hide around corners and take potshots at him with high damage weapons. His death spiral seems like it covers less area now and after flying for a just a little bit the spiral gets smaller and smaller till he just explodes without hitting anything.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

of Destroy Event
for object RadChest:

Unable to find any instance for object index '110' name 'Player'
at gml_Object_RadChest_Destroy_0
############################################################################################
While I will always laugh at "FATAL ERROR", I'm sad this ruined a cool run with a Gatling Slugger.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
This update is pretty frustrating. Feels like there's even more bullshit in this game. Lil Hunter changes + loop changes are dumb.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can still get multiples of the same weapon out of a big chest. Guess the fix didn't work.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The new hard-to-get weapon is a Super Disk Launcher, aw yis.

Nobody knows how to get it, as far as I can tell. The only bit of it seen was someone who just edited it into his inventory.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I liked the old portraits for fish and crystal better :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just :barf:up a golden slugger as robot. :stare:

It was on a loop though so I didn't bother to keep it. The golden weapons just aren't worth keeping when you loop it seems. I've only ever killed the boss that appears in the sewers on a loop once and it took over 99 shotgun ammo and bunch of explosive ammo too. I have no idea what the gently caress you're supposed to do about it on some layouts. By the time you get to it and clear some space there's just tons of those bullet sponge things spraying bullets absolutely everywhere faster than I can even clear them with a blood launcher.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's obnoxious as all hell, yeah. I think you're supposed to focus down its eggs, since it spawns those toxic ballguys, and the boss absorbs the gas they release to heal itself apparently.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

You can be better off letting them spawn, since ballguys have only 6 health to the 35 of the eggs, and the eggs don't drop ammo or health, I think they really do need to make the eggs also drop ammo and health though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I'm going to guess "Little Hunter" is the 5_3 boss, since I just got there for the first time and he legit just dropped in on me the moment I got there and loving wrecked me. I had a really good run going too, I had full health for almost the entire game and the slugger pretty much one-shots any standard enemy. Didn't expect the little bastard to just drop on me like that, and I tried to run away but he shot like 50,000 bullets in my general direction.

So. Uh. Good to know that even seasoned players seem to have trouble with that guy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've only ever gotten past 5_3 with Crystal. The bullet shield is so drat good, but I'm guessing Chicken will surpass that in her currently broken state.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've had trouble even with a level 8 Chicken. Maybe I'm just bad, I only beat the game twice in a month.
I don't want to add to the pile of complaints but I felt it was more fitting when the Lil' Hunter's threat came from the environment and how'd he'd force you to deal with the stage most of the time, since by 5-3 there's just so much enemies that having a regular boss fight isn't as viable. Not that you won't be running away from him now that he's way stronger though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

I'm going to guess "Little Hunter" is the 5_3 boss, since I just got there for the first time and he legit just dropped in on me the moment I got there and loving wrecked me. I had a really good run going too, I had full health for almost the entire game and the slugger pretty much one-shots any standard enemy. Didn't expect the little bastard to just drop on me like that, and I tried to run away but he shot like 50,000 bullets in my general direction.

So. Uh. Good to know that even seasoned players seem to have trouble with that guy.

He used to have much less health and also didn't shoot a ridiculous spread of bullets in a cone so quickly that you cannot even slip between them if you end up in the cone. The boss still frustrated people so they...gave him more health and made his attack nearly instant death if you don't have cover or have other enemies to dodge (which you probably will, since it's very common to spawn close to a lot of other dudes in the ice world). Really not sure what the mentality was there. Hopefully they'll make more changes soon.

Also obnoxious is actually killing him and then having him fly right into you instakill you with the explosion after all that. I'm having a hard time living without boiling veins now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Lil Hunter is definitely a lot more interesting now that he doesn't just try to stomp on your head, but I dunno if he's any more fun. If you got dropped in a sufficiently open arena at the start of 5_3 with no available cover and no way to block or reflect bullets you are kinda screwed.

But then again, if you don't have a way to carve out a niche to defend by this point in the game (melee weapon, hammerhead, playing Crystal) you were probably gonna die with or without Lil Hunter's help.

That said,

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also obnoxious is actually killing him and then having him fly right into you instakill you with the explosion after all that. I'm having a hard time living without boiling veins now.

This is a lot less likely to happen the way Lil Hunter is currently set up. On death (when his scream plays) he'll spin around in a circle for a couple seconds before rocketing off, giving you time to get away from him.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Sade posted:

Lil Hunter is definitely a lot more interesting now that he doesn't just try to stomp on your head, but I dunno if he's any more fun. If you got dropped in a sufficiently open arena at the start of 5_3 with no available cover and no way to block or reflect bullets you are kinda screwed.

But then again, if you don't have a way to carve out a niche to defend by this point in the game (melee weapon, hammerhead, playing Crystal) you were probably gonna die with or without Lil Hunter's help.

That said,

This is a lot less likely to happen the way Lil Hunter is currently set up. On death (when his scream plays) he'll spin around in a circle for a couple seconds before rocketing off, giving you time to get away from him.

Does he do contact damage when spinning around? I've died a couple times now just from being close to him in the death animation, before the explosion. I think the ring of smoke he lets out does damage or something. In any case, that's the least-bad part of the fight.

It might actually be ok if he didn't spawn at the start of the level and acted more like the 1-3 boss did, allowing you a bit of setup.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you take Bloodlust as Rebel and one of your allies gets a kill does that give you the health or do allies become a liability with that mutation?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Is Strong Spirit not working as described? I had a run with it today where I was at full health, took a hit, went through a portal and then died from 2 3 damage bullets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thanks Internet posted:

Is Strong Spirit not working as described? I had a run with it today where I was at full health, took a hit, went through a portal and then died from 2 3 damage bullets.

You need to heal to full for it to work again

E: It might also be glitchy ATM

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Is swapping weapons causing anyone else to move a step to the left when stationary? Little bit irritating, even though it doesn't come up too often.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For the time being, you can use the mousewheel to swap weapons instead of the Q key, which doesn't cause you to jump left. Good luck suppressing that muscle memory, though!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chumppell posted:

Is swapping weapons causing anyone else to move a step to the left when stationary? Little bit irritating, even though it doesn't come up too often.

Swapping weapons with q? It's a side effect of that QZSomethingSomething movement controls I've never heard of being implemented in the last patch.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The spacebar works too!

Got the furthest I've ever gotten today. Looped and made it to 5-3. Managed to kill Little Fucker but then died when I was trying to dodge bullets from one direction and got shot in the back by some IDPD. Seriously guys, don't buy a 30 inch monitor!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I used the spacebar for swapping

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
50 hours played and I didn't even know spacebar was an option for weapon switch. :eyepop: Still, I hope they just fix that in the next patch so I can go back to my main squeeze Q key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I beat the new bullshit that is Lil' Hunter, I don't die immediately in the labs, I get through the dogs and IDPD guarding the throne, i kill the thrones first form and am forced to die to two cops in the second form because i ran out of ammo with Y.V.. The worst part is I even had recycle gland, but the only good bullet weapon that dropped the whole run was a Hyper Rifle that didn't come through the portal.

This game knows how to kick you in the dick, I swear.

• Locked thread