Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003
Just avert your eyes when the waterworks start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Laura Dern was 25 during the filming of Jurassic Park.

Also I don't get the notion that the dinosaurs were super-threatening specifically because everyone was weedy scientists - they make a big thing out of Grant being a rugged outdoors type who could happily dig for bones in Montana for the rest of his days. He's no M16-toting special ops badass, but he's tough, smart and resourceful and is repeatedly shown as such before and after poo poo goes down.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
And then there were the toys which made all of them into gun toting badasses.

Even Nedry.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Holy poo poo. So this is what feeling old is like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Eh, I would have guessed she was in her early 30's but if a person is in good shape it can be hard to tell the difference between 25 and 35. She's also got one of those faces that makes her look a little older than she really is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, I would have guessed she was in her early 30's but if a person is in good shape it can be hard to tell the difference between 25 and 35. She's also got one of those faces that makes her look a little older than she really is.

Yeah, I always assumed early 30s. I turn 25 next year... :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Party Boat posted:

What? How can this be true? I thought she was at least 30 in it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Laura Dern with her glasses was mega hot in Jurassic Park

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Party Boat posted:

Also I don't get the notion that the dinosaurs were super-threatening specifically because everyone was weedy scientists - they make a big thing out of Grant being a rugged outdoors type who could happily dig for bones in Montana for the rest of his days. He's no M16-toting special ops badass, but he's tough, smart and resourceful and is repeatedly shown as such before and after poo poo goes down.

I seem to remember a lot of people in the book being buff. Ellie was buff and toned from digging all day, the lawyer was buff for some reason, and Grant was a regular Biff Hardchest who once walked back two days to his campsite with a broken leg.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Octy posted:

Yeah, I always assumed early 30s. I turn 25 next year... :(

Also the kid that Grant terrorises with the raptor claw is now 36.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
^^ woah weird, it looks like everything except his eyes and eyebrows turned 50

McSpanky posted:

Laura Dern was, but maybe we are weird and just appreciated an athletic build and scientific field experience :shrug:

Woops, not sure how I made that mistake (edit: oh yeah... because of Lorna Doone cookies... mmm). But yeah, legs man. Gave me a life long appreciation for girls that wear hiking boots.

Also, the girl that played Lex is now a successful portrait painter these days.

berserker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 2, 2015

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
This page is blowing my mind

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just finished watching Jurassic Park for the first time in years, I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear it's still a really loving good film.

One thing I never really thought about is how late in the film the raptors properly arrive. They're kept in our minds from the very beginning but aren't fully shown until the final half hour (and holy poo poo that last act of the film has so much momentum). I know Ebert criticised JP for showing the dinosaurs too soon but I think he's wrong - all of the killer dinosaurs are teased throughout the first half of the film, and the herbivores that are shown off have a completely different purpose (grandeur and wonder vs suspense and horror).

I also just noticed a picture of J Robert Oppenheimer on Nedry's desk, with post-it notes showing a mushroom cloud doodle and "beginning of baby boom". I guess it fits given Nedry is deliberately trying to bring about a baby (dinosaur) boom via destructive methods?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The build up of a the baddies is great in JP. Even though the T-Rex is featured in the amazing Explorer rain scene and jeep chase, both occur at night and are comprised of quick shots in the dark/rain. The finale, in a brightly illuminated building, gives us this amazing shot of the Rex and raptors, and it's just perfect. One of the best cinematic experiences of my childhood, right there.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

He just wanted to get rich, he didn't care at all about the dinos. I think the analogy is more broad; powerful new technology leads to unexpected demographic shifts.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Party Boat posted:

He turned into Mr. Boogaloo from The Apple, apparently.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I love how this perfectly nails the "redditor with a thesaurus trying to sound like an intellectual" vibe. Right down to the totally hosed grammar. Are there more fake park reviews on the site? They seem to be updating it pretty often.

edit: The JP1 kid looks like a real life Venture Bros. villain.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Party Boat posted:

You chose a much more flattering photo for a guy who was always destined to look weird.

Dude's 5'2". I think that was my height when I was 11 and had just started puberty.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Octy posted:

You chose a much more flattering photo for a guy who was always destined to look weird.

That's a very loose definition of "flattering"

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

That's a very loose definition of "flattering"

The first photo doesn't make him look like a member of the Addams Family, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Octy posted:

Dude's 5'2". I think that was my height when I was 11 and had just started puberty.

I saw him in some terrible indie movie at a festival recently and immediately recognized him from Jurassic Park. There's just something about that face that makes me want to run a raptor claw across his belly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Octy posted:

The first photo doesn't make him look like a member of the Addams Family, though.

Fun Fact: He was in The Addams Family, but not as an Addams. He played their accountant's son.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

berserker posted:

To be fair when I saw JP1 in the theaters (many, many times...) I totally thought Lorna Dern was the hottest thing in the world. Maybe I was weird.

Let's be weird together because I remember having a thing for her at the time, too.

Edit: holy poo poo there was a whole new page

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 3, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare:

What's that from? Please tell me that's official.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

feedmyleg posted:

:stare:

What's that from? Please tell me that's official.

I'm so sorry.
https://twitter.com/manuelunda/status/540278302754488320/photo/1

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
First I think about the little raptor from the novel, squeaking and jumping around :3:

Then I hear Muldoon: "Lethal at 8 months, and I do mean lethal" :yarr:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Well this is the cutest thing ever...

I have no idea what you guys are bitching about, the trailer looks fine, maybe a little too actions but, they didn't give away the best bits. And I'm still hyped to go see it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Well this is the cutest thing ever...

I have no idea what you guys are bitching about, the trailer looks fine, maybe a little too actions but, they didn't give away the best bits. And I'm still hyped to go see it.
I've also heard people bitching about the Mosasaur scene since it uses green screen and CGI because its totally to that scene feasibly by constructing a massive stadium on location and having a giant robotic mosasaur jump out and eat a fake shark. Comparing it with stuff from the Star Wars prequels

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

achillesforever6 posted:

I've also heard people bitching about the Mosasaur scene since it uses green screen and CGI because its totally to that scene feasibly by constructing a massive stadium on location and having a giant robotic mosasaur jump out and eat a fake shark. Comparing it with stuff from the Star Wars prequels

I mean, they could've used models.

Also, random side note, the Mosasaur on the website is the right size.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Or, if it's going to look like something out of a video game, you could just leave it out of the movie.

"Welp, this will look pretty fake because we can't really film any part of it practically, oh well! It is what it is!"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Jurassic World website updated with live park cams today.

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-cam/

It looks pretty rad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Oh god to be the guy who has to clean up the Sauropod poo poo

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Haha I love it when the shoe is on the other foot.

"But this time the criticisms are bullshit, because I like this movie!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh god to be the guy who has to clean up the Sauropod poo poo

Shovel it the gently caress up!!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

eyebeem posted:

Or, if it's going to look like something out of a video game, you could just leave it out of the movie.

"Welp, this will look pretty fake because we can't really film any part of it practically, oh well! It is what it is!"

You are what is keeping Mario from breaking out from video games and doing a serious role in film.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I saw JP1 maybe 8 or 9 times in the theaters, largely because of the effects. I can't imagine a movie in 2015 where I'm so amazed by the special effects that I go and see it that many times. This has more to do with saturation than anything though. Now you have to build a solid movie around the monsters, with suspense and wonder and all that good stuff. It's really hard to impress people with CG setpieces like the mosasaur these days.

That said, Ankylosaurus tennis is going to happen. The scene won't serve any real purpose in the movie, but it will be dinosaurs whacking a sphere back and forth with their club tails as children scream because this is an idea some dudes in a boardroom had.

Coriolis
Oct 23, 2005

I think it would be more interesting if Chris Pratt actually starts off totally in favor of the idea of dino-mutant rex. It's kind of hypocritical of him to start making GBS threads on it right off the bat considering that he's the one trying to become pack leader to a bunch of Jurassic-era Hannibal Lecters.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I don't really know if this has been discussed, but The TRex that is (most assuredly) going to appear in the movie is the same one from the first movie. That makes me geek out a bit just for that.

VV I would imagine they cleared out safe zones, like the visitors center and dock, and either repaired and reactivated what fences they could. Then they could just clear area by area, going in wider circles of control, until only the north side of the island remained.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Just Offscreen posted:

I don't really know if this has been discussed, but The TRex that is (most assuredly) going to appear in the movie is the same one from the first movie. That makes me geek out a bit just for that.

gently caress yeauhhh

I really hope the movie shows a montage or something of how they finally built the park. Did they build the T-Rex's viewing area AROUND its nest? DId they tranq all the large carnivores and just keep them asleep while they built? How did they build anything with raptors running free?

• Locked thread