Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JacksAngryBiome posted:

As much as goons bemoaned the news that BTS would be casting this thing, I think they have done a great job so far.

Well, it's been four days of twelve-hour coverage across three channels simultaneously. Twelve hours that just happen to run overnight from 8p to 8a at their studio, at which point you begin to lose any right to complain about casting. You need a big crew willing to work overtime for that, even if they cycle people in and out.

Special mention goes to KOTLguy because he cast all twelve hours of BTS2, day in and day out, as himself with various co-casters. Dude went four days setting up in the middle of the night and calling Dota games until it was nearly noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Alliance is showing how Leshrac should be played, going mid and rushing bloodstone then immediately killing everyone :getin:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 3, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He doesnt have aghs :confused:. He did get a 15 min bloodstone though

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TheRat posted:

He doesnt have aghs :confused:. He did get a 15 min bloodstone though

Aghs is luxury imo. Bloodstone for mana and some HP. Next up is shivas or bkb probably. That's what I generally build :shrug:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

But you said he went mid and rushed aghs. Im so confused.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TheRat posted:

But you said he went mid and rushed aghs. Im so confused.

Woops, I meant to write Bloodstone. Sorry :x will edit.

e:
Capitalist is so loving annoying.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 3, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

When does DAC come back? Feb 5 US time or Feb 5 China time?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Gamesguy posted:

When does DAC come back? Feb 5 US time or Feb 5 China time?

Feb 5 China, so late tomorrow night for US. First match is in 1 day and 2 hours it looks like. You can find the schedule (click on matches to see approximate start times) and bracket here: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Dota_2_Asia_Championships/Playoffs

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We've already talked about how improbable it was for Big God to be so good with so little practice. In some interview, Burning says they had just a few hours of scrims before DAC, and it was the first time they've played together.

Likewise, Dendi told Sheever that Navi held a five day boot camp but only played on like two of those days, and HellRaisers didn't practice even once because they figured a new meta would appear and render it pointless.

I guess 15-0 makes more sense now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dendi's interview with sheever is really good, also explains their first day losses since I remember dendi making some real dumb plays. I'm actually hoping they do really well and face secret in a bo3.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Does that say something about the inherent skills of the players, or the current state of the scene instead?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

HGH posted:

Does that say something about the inherent skills of the players, or the current state of the scene instead?

Both I think. Big God have ton of talent, and did play qualifiers and some other tournament a while back together. I think very few would argue that the top 4 teams aren't the most talented teams in the competition and only VG has been together as a team longer than a month.

Between the pending shuffle in China and he unfolding shuffle in the West this are definitely unstable. I'm actually surprised VG haven't been more dominant because of that

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dendi's interview with sheever is really good, also explains their first day losses since I remember dendi making some real dumb plays. I'm actually hoping they do really well and face secret in a bo3.

Got a link to the interview?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

docLeder posted:

Got a link to the interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ylus02GCJk

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I just watched the one with Sumail, pretty crazy he has only been in America for a year. Also it's insane how confident he is. Like, when Arteezy was coming up he always knew he was good but he seemed sort of humble about how good other mid players were. Sumail says he thinks there are maybe 5 players better than him. Arteezy is one. S4 isn't :drat:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wezlar posted:

I just watched the one with Sumail, pretty crazy he has only been in America for a year. Also it's insane how confident he is. Like, when Arteezy was coming up he always knew he was good but he seemed sort of humble about how good other mid players were. Sumail says he thinks there are maybe 5 players better than him. Arteezy is one. S4 isn't :drat:

that's not confidence, that's ego

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Taffer posted:

that's not confidence, that's ego
He doesn't seem to have much of an ego to me. Depends how he defines mid players too since S4 isn't usually same type of farming mid that Sumail and Arteezy play.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

CampingCarl posted:

He doesn't seem to have much of an ego to me. Depends how he defines mid players too since S4 isn't usually same type of farming mid that Sumail and Arteezy play.

he also says that he doesnt like comparisons to arteezy because he plays more like s4, ganking style stuff and not farming. so uhh

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

as a brand new player who makes tons of mistakes from overconfidence, saying you're better than almost everyone who has built a name for themselves is totally ego. He's good but he hasn't proven he's better than people who have established themselves as super strong players over several teams/meta's

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

jsoh posted:

he also says that he doesnt like comparisons to arteezy because he plays more like s4, ganking style stuff and not farming. so uhh
He is playing things like SF and storm and certainly is farming more than S4 usually does. I think even other players have referenced him playing that way. It may be true he doesn't farm quite as much as Arteezy but I don't think he plays the same as S4.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

He didn't really come off as egotistical to me. More nervous than anything. He did come off as a 15 year old. :shrug:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Woops

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Aww, baby TI is all grown up now!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

If 4 Bo3s don't fit in in one day they will need to do this for more than just the first day. I think it was mentioned the 1v1 tournament is done on stage and there is an allstar match at some point too.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
According to this guy on reddit, none of the 'important' matches are scheduled that late, and we just miss out on a first round Bo3/Bo1 and 2 lower bracket Bo3s.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

IncendiaC posted:

According to this guy on reddit, none of the 'important' matches are scheduled that late, and we just miss out on a first round Bo3/Bo1 and 2 lower bracket Bo3s.

:lol: elimination matches not important

Don't worry boys the LGD vs ehome 2010 and custom game show matches will still be on the big stage though

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

So Secret has to be favourite going in, and I think EG could probably take second, but am I brave enough to call BG third over Vici?

Those 3 are really tough to call for 2nd/3rd place. Especially for order.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

So Secret has to be favourite going in, and I think EG could probably take second, but am I brave enough to call BG third over Vici?

Those 3 are really tough to call for 2nd/3rd place. Especially for order.

It's possible. VG played well but are having some big internal issues it seems, especially after throwing some games they should have clearly won. They need to hold it together honestly but I think top 3 might be secret, vg and big God and if not big God then eg or dare I say it navi.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember at least one of the thrown games had Winter pointing out that Black was clearly not on the same page as the rest of the team.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pureauthor posted:

I remember at least one of the thrown games had Winter pointing out that Black was clearly not on the same page as the rest of the team.

Pretty much always going to be a problem.

Guess which one is Black.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That seems a bit simplistic considering that they were all happily wrecking poo poo just a few months ago. He didn't suddenly become more German overnight.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Goetta posted:

That seems a bit simplistic considering that they were all happily wrecking poo poo just a few months ago. He didn't suddenly become more German overnight.

Not necessarily true. As someone who is familiar with the life cycle of Germans, it seems clear that he completed his larval stage upon migrating to China. While his pupal stage saw a lot of solid play, it could be that after The Summit 2, he emerged fully grown as a German imago.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Black has been living in china for a very long time before he joined VG though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Language is still going to be a problem and will probably always be a problem. I can't say how good everyone on VG's English is, and I imagine Black's is just fine, but even if it's serviceable for communicating, not being able to converse quickly in your native language, or at least a language you are fluent in, will always be a challenge, especially when things can happen so quickly.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Its always amusing to hear booth recordings of the last incarnation of navi, with dendi/xbox/funnik yelling at eachother in russian while kuro/puppey try to keep it in english.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
sumail is like peak awkward-looking https://twitter.com/ppdDota/status/562974946876747776/photo/1

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

He apparently has no friends and doesn't talk at school so I think he's just peak awkward period

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I know he's good but I think it would be weird having someone so young on your team. Are there no adult good mids in North America?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Wezlar posted:

He apparently has no friends and doesn't talk at school so I think he's just peak awkward period

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

Sounds like a Dota player to me.

• Locked thread