Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Thiagol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
A Thiago Double

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Have you tried invocations to Lamashtu?

Go the multinational welshman!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm sorry for wishing to sell you Thiago.

Also, I wonder what those angsty Tackleford fans are feeling now especially this rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus posted:

14': Eustace Boyce writes from Tackleford "Brown got sacked because he was the type of guy like AVB who promises the moon if you give him a Ferrari and then proceeds to drive it like a yugo."

How's that yugo now huh? :smug:

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 3, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hat trick now. The boy comes to play for the big games.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Mordovia! They were two leagues down when I visited Saransk in 2010. I stayed with a family that had a kid in their feeder team and he gave me one of his old jerseys. I still have it.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

the JJ posted:

Re-reading it now it seems like Hammatt scored off a Thiago rebound on the first goal.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Stringel must be happy, does he get CL medal?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

drat those headhunters! :bahgawd:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Very well done, boys.

My doomsaying at the start of the season was very, very premature.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sorry about the lack of a stream. It was 4 minutes into the actual match and the stream hadn't moved off of the pre-match pep talk screen :(

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So has any IRL European football team ever managed the double-double?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

the JJ posted:

drat so close.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuXKeiM4_0

Congratulations coach.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The Sandman posted:

Ajax & Real Madrid. RM 1957&58, Ajax 1972&73.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

The Sandman posted:

Looks like Ajax and Real Madrid.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Appendix: The Year in Football/Futbol/Fußball/Calcio/Soccer, 2026-2027
June 1, 2027

All my angst in March and April aside, that was a stunningly successful season.

Wrexham

Next year should be similarly exciting, we'll return most of our best players and young prospects like Damgaard and Pickee have given us reason to expect good showings in the future.

England

I'm disappointed Southampton couldn't crack the top five, but they still get a European qualification.

Meanwhile Bolton Wanderers are back in the Premier League, while Tackleford had a strong consolidation year and should be in contention for promotion.

Colwyn Bay still seems a ways from making it up the ladder, but I expect they'll keep improving as they are able to bring in better talent.

Curse you Manchester United! It would have been really neat to see a Swansea/QPR final, considering that Queens Park Rangers weren't even in the Premier League this season.

It was nice to play someone other than Manchester United for a trophy, I'm glad that we won't have to face them in the Community Shield next year.

Europe

As expected, Real Madrid wins the league.

Roma can claim their first title in something like a quarter century, knocking off the Neapolitan dynasty and holding off Juventus as well. If Wolfsburg overcame Bayern in the Bundesliga, TheMcD wins the prediction contest runoff.

And win they did, by a full four points over Bayern. Congratulations TheMcD!

No surprises here, although Ajaccio's new moneybags owner did get them into the Champions League qualifying rounds.

Braga have now won three of the last four seasons in Portugal, and look like they've become a real force.

Rubin Kazan are tops in Russia while the Red Army Boys of CKSA Moscow fell all the way out of continental qualification.

Another Ajax win, how dull.

Perhaps we'll draw Club Brugge in the group stage next year, at which point I'll waste far too much of my time coming up with an homage to In Bruges.

Fenerbache ran away with things in the Turkish league, like us they only lost once all season.

I haven't seen A Tartan Tory around recently, but he'll be happy that Rangers are back atop Scotland.

A lack of upsets in the Champions League group stage led to an exciting competition for the Europa League this season, as the semifinals were contested by teams from Russia, the Netherlands, and Portugal. Unfortunately the game doesn't model the recent rules change that the Europa League winner gets Champions League qualification, so FC Twente will be stuck returning to the Europa League. It's still a huge accomplishment for the small club from Enschede, and for their American star Hunter Fisher.

We outscored our opponents in the knockout rounds 18-3. I don't think there's much more to be said about our dominance than that.

Asia & Australia

Seoul seems like the class of the Korean League. This is hardly their first title.

The Melbourne clubs both lived up to their names, with the lesser one proving that Heart isn't really that great a power.

Seoul will be back in the Club World Cup next year after overcoming the Urawa Reds, who's claim to fame is that they have viciously racist supporters. Which is kind of too bad, I'd love to meet up with Urawa and have them lose 10-0 to our extremely multicultural club.

North America

It's weird seeing the LA Galaxy at the bottom of the table, especially considering how much backing they get from the honchos at MLS when it comes to designated player signings. That same backing is why it's not a shock to see the Seattle Sounders win.

Atlas take both the opening and closing stages of Liga MX, but it's nice to see that fallen giant Club America is at least decent again. Atlas has been a huge success over the past decade, racking up title after title.

Liga MX will probably surpass MLS in reputation after an all Mexico final that Atlas dominated in pulling off what's essentially a triple.

South America

Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, Gremio. This time around no one had any chance of catching Flamengo, who topped the table by 15 points.

Velez are essentially the Atlas of Argentina, or vice versa, having won either the apertura or clausura in each of the last five or so years.

Aww, Gremio didn't actually win the Libertadores. They fell in the final to Mexican club Chivas, but since Chivas is ineligible to earn a spot in the Club World Cup by winning the Libertadores, Gremio went instead. Chivas is, of course, owned by the same people who own Chivas USA.

International

I still have nightmares about giving up a three goal lead to Australia.

But I can't begrudge them the great year they had internationally, an AFC Cup and a World Cup Quarterfinal appearance is highly impressive for the nation.

The African Cup of Nations took place this year as well, with Algeria coming out on top. In real life the semifinals of the Cup of Nations are just taking place now, with the Democratic Republic of Congo taking on Cote d'Ivor and the hosts Equatorial Guinea- having gotten to the semifinals thanks to some incredibly suspicious refereeing in their quarterfinal match- going up against Ghana.

And that's the state of World Soccer. See you all for the 2027-2028 season.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I wonder when we're going to take on Tackleford again. I thought we'd eventually face them in a Cup match at some point over the years. Do they just get bounced out early.

Also, can we get a team report? I sense that Wrexham is transitioning to its next generation of players.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yay, I won a thing! So how does this work again? I just PM you what I want to change? And what's the limitations on the changes?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
How do some of those Euro leagues determine CL and EL qualifications? It seems a bit random at times.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Dreamsicle posted:

I wonder when we're going to take on Tackleford again. I thought we'd eventually face them in a Cup match at some point over the years. Do they just get bounced out early.

Also, can we get a team report? I sense that Wrexham is transitioning to its next generation of players.

I'd be interested in seeing where Tackleford has gotten bounced out of the cups. At least since they've been in the CL, they should be entering the FA Cup in the same round as us, so just luck of the draw I suppose. In the League Cup I'm pretty sure that most seasons they would have to get through a couple rounds before they could even face us (since teams that qualify for European competition pass through to the third round).

E: How do leagues with an Apertura and Clausura determine relegation? Looking at Liga MX, it looks like maybe it's just combined points, but I can't figure out anything that makes sense for Argentina. Loser of the apertura, loser of the clausura, and ??? Lanús finished above Banfield in both stages, and had more combined points than a couple of other teams, but ended up relegated.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

From Wikipedia about the Argentinian Premier Division.
"Relegation is based on an averaging system. At the end of each season, the two teams with the worst three-year averages and the worst positioned team in the season table are relegated, and the best team in the Primera B Nacional is promoted while the promotion of the other two is yet to be decided. There will be three promoted teams per season. Newly promoted teams only average the seasons since their last promotion." They average out league places basically so one bad year won't relegate you but 3 years of mediocrity might.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Yay, I won a thing! So how does this work again? I just PM you what I want to change? And what's the limitations on the changes?

PM or post here, and I'm pretty liberal with the changes allowed. No destroying teams, and nothing where I have to go back every couple of months and reset something, and if I think it's too unbalancing I'll veto it, but your imagination is largely the limit.

Dreamsicle posted:

I'll do the team report in the next couple updates.

As for Tackleford, they've had pretty early exits in the League Cup and FA Cup the last few years. They've lost in the League Cup before we entered something like four of the last five years, and only made it past the third round of the FA Cup twice... when they promptly lost in the fourth round.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 4, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

And if you need suggestions, two good options I've heard are "give Justin Bailey 5-star coaching stats" and "adjust Wrexham's population up to account for football tourism."

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

habeasdorkus posted:

Aww, Gremio didn't actually win the Libertadores. They fell in the final to Mexican club Chivas, but since Chivas is ineligible to earn a spot in the Club World Cup by winning the Libertadores, Gremio went instead. Chivas is, of course, owned by the same people who own Chivas USA.

To clarify this, Chivas USA and Chivas de Guadelejara are no longer owned by the same person in real life. The Mexican owner sold the club to MLS right around the start of last year, with the plan being that MLS would sell the team to a new owner and rebrand. The actual deal ended up quite a bit more complicated, but basically Chivas USA was "bought" at the end of last season, but rather than rebranding, it is being wound up (it's players were dispersed to other teams) and it will be replaced by the expansion LAFC in 2017.

Of course, I presume that AU Jorge Vergara still owns both teams in the Habeasverse.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And if you need suggestions, two good options I've heard are "give Justin Bailey 5-star coaching stats" and "adjust Wrexham's population up to account for football tourism."

Sod that, I've got my own plans. The only question is how far habeasdorkus is willing to implement them.

EDIT: :getin:

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 5, 2015

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture

TheMcD posted:

Sod that, I've got my own plans. The only question is how far habeasdorkus is willing to implement them.

EDIT: :getin:

You could do a big favor to the USMNT by giving them some wonderful 18 year old.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Sicke posted:

You could do a big favor to the USMNT by giving them some wonderful 18 year old.

I hope it's a Hulk Hogan reincarnation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sicke posted:

Eh, giving help to Scott Brown at this point seems like making it too easy. The USMNT is already getting bolstered, no need to shove a wunderkind into their hands at the same time. No, I have my own project in mind, though it would end up potentially helping Scotland, England, Germany and Australia on the international scene. The Netherlands as well, though not as much.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 5, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Eh, giving help to Scott Brown at this point seems like making it too easy. The USMNT is already getting bolstered, no need to shove a wunderkind into their hands at the same time. No, I have my own project in mind, though it would end up potentially helping Scotland, England, Germany and Australia on the international scene. The Netherlands as well, though not as much.

... what are you doing?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ajax & Real Madrid. RM 1957&58, Ajax 1972&73.

I think AU-United won a double-double under McLeod. 2020 and 2021. He still hasen't won a treble yet through.

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
I think this game is happy I came back from FM15

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Dreamsicle posted:

Also, I wonder what those angsty Tackleford fans are feeling now especially this rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus posted:

14': Eustace Boyce writes from Tackleford "Brown got sacked because he was the type of guy like AVB who promises the moon if you give him a Ferrari and then proceeds to drive it like a yugo. Wrexham may field a good team while they have him but they'll never become real contenders." Nsangou makes a brilliant save to keep Tackleford off the post as I was reading that.

How's that yugo now huh? :smug:

This 'Eustace Boyce' fellow doesn't understand that when you drive a Ferrari like a Yugo you prolong the longevity of the Ferrari so you won't have to replace it every drat year.*

That type of thinking is why The Red Dragons are the Gods of Soccer and Tackleford's a bunch of wannabes. They wish we'd give them our worst players.

*I am under the impression when you drive like you have a Yugo you drive conservatively.

Also I propose we give Thiago a new nickname: Thiagoal.

Sicke posted:

I think this game is happy I came back from FM15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There's a position open on the board. First come, first serve. Let me know what nationality you want to be, as well.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Can I claim it in time? Welsh Nationality!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Done!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 8, 2015

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, our stadium is finally built!

It needs a better name than "Wrexham Stadium" though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dragon's Den

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I was always partial to Castell Coch myself.

Also any idea what Wrexham's population is in game? You'd think the massive shot to the local economy in recent years would have boosted it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wrexham's listed as having between 100k-250k people. That's a favorable accounting, considering that I think real life Wrexham has 65k.

• Locked thread