Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This is the rare kind of setup episode that works well enough by itself. Elliott and Dillahunt are killing it like I'd hoped they would, when I first heard the announcement they were starring this season. Only thing I didn't like was the lack of Tim, but that's been a challenge the whole series - there are almost too many good characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I can't believe they showed Ava's weird little boob at the end there!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

withak posted:

I hope Choo Choo gets laid before he and Tim off each other.

They're actually gonna get each other off.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

"I ain't gonna grab it, I'm just gonna shoot it off. You understand me, Earl? I'm gonna shoot your dick off."

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

oshuaj posted:

"You understand me, Earl? I'm gonna shoot your dick off."

New thread title?

After watching the first three episodes, I have to admit it took a while for them to grow on me. Last week and this week had a lot of the character and dialogue hits that I really like about the show. For some reason though, I still can't warm up to this whole "trying to rob an old bank" plot. I get the feeling that it'll complicate itself as all of the schemes in this show seem to and become more interesting as it does. I do have to admit that there's a certain poetic justice to this show basically starting and ending with Boyd robbing banks and Raylan coming from/going to Miami. It's almost too perfect to where you get the feeling neither will succeed. As much as I think that it'll end with Raylan and Boyd dead, I'd like to see a "we dug coal together" moment out of Boyd like Raylan's from the first season but it just feels like it would be way too out of character at this point.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There's no way they die together, the show isn't about that. Raylan's unstoppable, basically. Boyd will get away or will die, equal chance most likely, and it'll be a happy ending for everyone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Apoplexy posted:

There's no way they die together, the show isn't about that. Raylan's unstoppable, basically. Boyd will get away or will die, equal chance most likely, and it'll be a happy ending for everyone.

Have we been watching the same show?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

a cop posted:

I can't believe they showed Ava's weird little boob at the end there!!

That wasn't a nipple, it was the gunshot wound she got from Dickie Bennett a couple seasons ago. Took me a second too :stare:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Have we been watching the same show?

If they're sticking true to an Elmore Leonard story then the villains will undoubtedly be the cause of their own demise and while the heroes generally survive.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm being dense, but what is so important about the deeds and ledger that Boyd stole from the Bud Garrity via the bank heist? Home/land purchases are public knowledge. Just a convenient plot/conflict point? orrrr....

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tide posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but what is so important about the deeds and ledger that Boyd stole from the Bud Garrity via the bank heist? Home/land purchases are public knowledge. Just a convenient plot/conflict point? orrrr....

Calhoun was keeping those to blackmail the people he was buying land for. As a real estate agent he could buy a bunch of land silently, but if people knew it was the same individual they could likely jack up the price. The people who sent Boyd to steal from Calhoun are after the money he would have stored to buy up the land. The deeds themselves are not important, other than as a way of letting Boyd know there is something bigger going on and letting Ty Walker et al know that there is someone going after their money.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Gotcha, thanks.

But how is Calhoun going to be blackmail Ty Walker and Avery Markham? Seems like a losing proposition (or he didn't fully grasp who he was dealing with).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did they say that he was keeping them for blackmail?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

Duffy in a tanning booth is inherently hilarious

It just kept getting funnier and funnier.

Also more Deadwood parallels with Boyd nearly getting his finger cut off after underestimating Garrett Dillahunt's powerful shady boss.

Still wish they could have found a way to get Ian McShane on the show.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

withak posted:

Did they say that he was keeping them for blackmail?

From memory, he initially kept it for recording keeping until he realized what he had and how it could be used as insurance against his employers. Boyd was the one trying to blackmail him for its return and only Boyd and Raylan know about the existence of the ledger, the other guys just think Boyd tried to take the money but ended up just stealing deeds and paperwork.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Sam Elliott's character looks like death incarnate. The devil in a suit. I get the impression that he's the most evil, bad motherfucker that the show's had so far.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
He's George Hearst.

Garret Dillahunt, playing an almost identical character from Deadwood seems a little bit of fan service and I haven't decided if I like it or not.

Eh, whatever, I like it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

beanieson posted:

That wasn't a nipple, it was the gunshot wound she got from Dickie Bennett a couple seasons ago. Took me a second too :stare:

Ohhhhhh lol

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

"I poured most of it in the plants when you boys weren't looking." Don't waste the shine, Raylan!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Duffy's got some jack nicholson stuff going on there, even his ludicrous eyebrows.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Duffy always just kills it. He is my favorite villain on this show. He is so charismatic and sinister at the same time. His character arch for this series has just been the most entertaining thing to watch.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Armyman25 posted:

Still wish they could have found a way to get Ian McShane on the show.

drat right.

Episode 3 sucked. It's really stupid that they kidnapped Boyd and then just let him go. The only reason he survived is due to plot armor.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I've been a fan of this show pretty much since the beginning but watching the latest episode I thought maybe it's good that it's coming to an end.

There wasn't much wrong with the episode (although I found the Ava sequence at the beginning boring), but it just felt like I've seen it all before. Avery, Walker, Choo-Choo – all bring to mind characters from previous seasons, and even though they're played by good actors, I don't know if they bring anything sufficiently new to the table.

Of course it's early days still and this season might turn out to be a classic, I'm just not that convinced so far. Wynn Duffy on the tanning bed was hilarious though.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

drat right.

Episode 3 sucked. It's really stupid that they kidnapped Boyd and then just let him go. The only reason he survived is due to plot armor.

With the hold that Boyd has over Harlan, I think it would shake things up too much and cause too many questions to be asked if they had just upped and killed him. Better to keep him suppressed until you're done with what you need to do. Also, Avery knowing him as a kid may have given him just a millimeter or two more of rope.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 5, 2015

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Ghostpilot posted:

With the hold that Boyd has over Harlan, I think it would shake things up too much and cause too many questions to be asked if they had just upped and killed him. Better to keep him suppressed until you're done with what you need to do. Also, Avery knowing him as a kid may have given him just a millimeter or two more of rope.

I thought it was possible there was some further discussion between Ava and Avery, following how she had to be tougher than the men and be willing to do things they wouldn't. Otherwise why show that discussion and why wouldn't Avery have just talked to Boyd when they kidnapped him? I assumed they took Boyd away to get at Ava, and then had Boyd come back and look like an rear end in a top hat to just reinforce how powerful Avery is in front of her.

It'd be cool if Avery is some more powerful third party coming in and offering Ava an even sweeter deal than Raylan. Ava having power would make her much more interesting and give meaning to the otherwise boring scenes of her being abused by the deputies throughout the season (if she ever flipped the tables it would be pretty satisfying.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Next week's episode looks pretty sweet.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not killing Boyd was more than simple plot armor.

Markham knew his father, knew him when he was a kid, and may see him as a potential tool later. That meeting was also a means for Avery to show his big swinging dick in from of Harlan's current bad guy and his woman. And truthfully, it served no purpose to kill Boyd when Boyd had no idea who he was ultimately stealing from.

That was a fantastic episode all the way around and gets better on a rewatch. Rachel's exasperation with the responsibility of being the boss, Vasquez and Rachel losing their patience with Ava and Raylan being the cool one (a 180 from how it usually is), pretty much everything Raylan said to anyone was unfiltered gold.

So many great lines.

And Wynn Duffy in a speedo in a tanning bed will never not be funny.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

androo posted:

I thought it was possible there was some further discussion between Ava and Avery, following how she had to be tougher than the men and be willing to do things they wouldn't. Otherwise why show that discussion and why wouldn't Avery have just talked to Boyd when they kidnapped him? I assumed they took Boyd away to get at Ava, and then had Boyd come back and look like an rear end in a top hat to just reinforce how powerful Avery is in front of her.

It'd be cool if Avery is some more powerful third party coming in and offering Ava an even sweeter deal than Raylan. Ava having power would make her much more interesting and give meaning to the otherwise boring scenes of her being abused by the deputies throughout the season (if she ever flipped the tables it would be pretty satisfying.)

Yeah, some of the air comes out of the sails for me when a scene transitions to Ava for that very reason: it's basically her prison storyline from last season relocated to Harlan. Sam Elliot makes a great heavy, though - very menacing.

I'm glad Rachel has more of a role this time around, but I kind of miss the peer banter between them from earlier seasons.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Honestly I think that was one of the best episodes of the series. Maybe not top five, but top ten yeah.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm... not really feeling it this year. Could definitely use a done-in-one shot of procedural energy to juice things up, everything just feels a little too lethargic at this point. And while Justified has always meandered (luxuriated in its atmosphere, if you want to be poetic), I'm waiting for things to kick into a higher and more interesting gear.

Agreed on Ava's storyline being weak, again. Because it can completely shift the narrative its important to watch, but every scene between her and Boyd plays out the same. Its why I generally don't care for "undercover informant" stories. Told weakly, you're just waiting for a shoe to fall.

I'm sure everything will pick up, but we've had three episodes of straight preamble thus far.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm glad Rachel has more of a role this time around, but I kind of miss the peer banter between them from earlier seasons.

I'm not. I miss Art and it's dumb to have him shoved off to the side for the final season when his and Raylan's work relationship has been such an integral part of this series in every single season leading to this one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, some of the air comes out of the sails for me when a scene transitions to Ava for that very reason: it's basically her prison storyline from last season relocated to Harlan.

Towns like Harlan essentially are prisons.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Not bad, so far. The antagonists are certainly better than the Crowes, who were so brutally stupid that their downfall felt about as unexpected as gravity. I'm glad the show knows what it's echoing, and that the casting director is happy to bring in Deadwood alumni in similar roles but with different characters. (Watching Olyphant and McRaney back in season four was a treat, and the same goes for Dillahunt this season.)

The thing is, the show really peaked in season two. Three and four were really, really loving good, but season two did something that no other season has been able to pull off: through Mags, it showed a part of Appalachian life (the family matriarch) that really brought the culture (and the show) alive. And Margo Martindale owned the role. Except for Mags, the most Appalachian thing in all of Justified is the intro.

edit so that I don't sound like I'm talking out of my rear end: I live in southwest Virginia. The church and the guy in the flannel shirt? That's every exit off of 460 between here and Roanoke.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm... not really feeling it this year. Could definitely use a done-in-one shot of procedural energy to juice things up, everything just feels a little too lethargic at this point. And while Justified has always meandered (luxuriated in its atmosphere, if you want to be poetic), I'm waiting for things to kick into a higher and more interesting gear.

Agreed on Ava's storyline being weak, again. Because it can completely shift the narrative its important to watch, but every scene between her and Boyd plays out the same. Its why I generally don't care for "undercover informant" stories. Told weakly, you're just waiting for a shoe to fall.

I'm sure everything will pick up, but we've had three episodes of straight preamble thus far.

I'm with you. So far, this season hasn't stood out much from last season and last season was terrible. I don't know if its the pacing, plot, dialogue or the new characters. Maybe a mixture of all four. So far, the only scenes I've really enjoyed were between Art & Raylan, and Boyd&Raylan in the hallway last episode. Other than that, things just feel like they are jumping all over the place.

I still enjoy and plan on finishing the season but it doesn't seem to jive like it used to.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Last season was a little weak, but Quarles was still great in Season 3, so I wouldn't entirely say it peaked with 2. poo poo, we also had Limehouse in there, and he was great.

And let's not forget the high points of 4: Boyd vs Snake Handler in the Preach Off, Colt vs Tim, Shelby/Drew Thompson, Ellen May, Raylan and Boyd go back to HS. That season started off a bit weak with the Macguffin storyline, but it was overall fantastic.

I think the perfectness of 2, combined with the weakness of 5, is causing a lot of people's memories to write off 3 and 4 unfairly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Season 3 made a lot more sense once I read interviews with the writers. Basically, season 2 was micromanaged and planned and plotted to an absurd degree - that they came into season 3 saying that they couldn't/wouldn't be able to build another season like that.

So season 3 was basically improv - they introduced Quarles and Limehouse and co. without any real idea who the hell they were or what they'd do. Its a looser shaggy season, but I enjoyed it immensely.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Season 3 made a lot more sense once I read interviews with the writers. Basically, season 2 was micromanaged and planned and plotted to an absurd degree - that they came into season 3 saying that they couldn't/wouldn't be able to build another season like that.

So season 3 was basically improv - they introduced Quarles and Limehouse and co. without any real idea who the hell they were or what they'd do. Its a looser shaggy season, but I enjoyed it immensely.

That fits with them not knowing who Drew Thompson was going to be until midway through production of S4

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

3Romeo posted:

Not bad, so far. The antagonists are certainly better than the Crowes

I agree, I really like that we've got a team of competent killers going up against the good and bad heavyweights of Harlan. I'm hoping that, as much as they keep making Choo Choo out to be a joke, we're shown that he is, infact, terrifying.

That's something I felt season one had that none of the other seasons did. A sense that Raylan was one wrong move from disappearing off the face of the Earth at the hands of professional murderers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, fans always overestimate how much of a season the writer's room has planned out. Generally they might have ideas on where to take the general structure of the show, but a lot of large chunks are figured out organically/haphazardly.

Some of my favorite examples...

In Mad Men, Matthew Weiner had no idea that Megan and Don's marriage had disintegrated last year. His other writers literally sat him down and went "Dude, its over. Look at how we've all been writing them."

The Breaking Bad writers mixed it up every season. Season 2 with the plane crash was outlined in its entirety, and changed very little. Season 3 was entirely improvised, once they realized the cousins wouldn't wait an entire season to attack Walter. So literally everything after episode two or three was hurriedly arced, and everything after Hank was shot was written as they went. The writers also had no idea WHY Walter White bought the huge rear end machine gun in the final season - the Nazis were literally invented so Walter had a reason to fire the weapon.

In Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter was drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

In Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter was drunk.

Drunk on his impeccable storytelling ability, maybe!!

• Locked thread