Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Paradox is doing a city simulator? Well, the bad news is when they release it it'll be every bit the buggy piece of poo poo SC2013 was--but the good news is Paradox will actually work on improving it and release patches that actually fix things. So that's actually pretty exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
why are the developers set on making an agent based game? SC4 worked fine and if you want to go deeper you can use some sort of Sim.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because no one wants to do what has already been done (SC4).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I know that curved roads are the big-demand thing for city sims, but it's still possible to make pretty road networks with what's at hand. Nice shots.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a way to make maxis highways turn?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You need to do it at 45 angle increments- can't do a right angle turn.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because no one wants to do what has already been done (SC4).

I don't understand why. If I was a better coder and not so lazy I would reverse engineer the SC4 addon format and just build a new engine that can import all the existing SC4 assets... Someone else should do this.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I'm doing some experimenting with terrain packs to see which ones will work on Mac. I've read that HD ones don't work but so far the Appalachian one is working, meadowshire crashed as soon as it tried loading the duck off massive amount of trees I have, and I'm going to try Gobias' terrain pack after work tonight.

I guess for the Appalachian one on Mac you have to use iLive (a windows programme) to enable snow so thanks for the tutorial!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

benzine posted:

why are the developers set on making an agent based game? SC4 worked fine and if you want to go deeper you can use some sort of Sim.

This is really the rub of it. Agents are the hot new thing and every developer out there wants to find an excuse to play with them. City sims are great because they are not-so-obvious ant farms. But that sort of shortsightedness for the sake of a trendy bit of programming experiment is killing our favorite gaming genre. It's a shame.

If you guys also didn't know, we have a Cities Skylines thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668767) that could use some participation, even if its just cold bitterness and the loss of so much potential. You can tell how deflated I think we all are by page 8, if you dont want to read the whole thread.

Game looks nice, better than SC2013, but is handicapped by some major issues.

Ninja edit: I seriously do hope that at some point EA/Maxis will announce a real "SimCity 5" and not totally gently caress it up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

EA isn't interested in building a serious successor to SC4. What they tried and failed to make was The Sims:City. Some years down the line, when no managers are left who were around for that disaster, they'll probably try and fail again because their heads are jammed too far up their asses to realize that there is no market for The Sims:City.

Edit: Rather than 'there is no market' it's probably more accurate to say 'there's no way to make a game that will please both The Sims players and SimCity players.'

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 4, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

EA isn't interested in building a serious successor to SC4. What they tried and failed to make was The Sims:City. Some years down the line, when no managers are left who were around for that disaster, they'll probably try and fail again because their heads are jammed too far up their asses to realize that there is no market for The Sims:City.

Edit: Rather than 'there is no market' it's probably more accurate to say 'there's no way to make a game that will please both The Sims players and SimCity players.'

There is a way: make two different games that can plug into each other. It's EA's favorite thing!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
In my fantasy world SC4 would be open source by now. Or if they had released the devkit of the game, instead of having trams or HSR as a hack in, imagine them fully implemented.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The thing is... SC4 is actually still selling in noticeable numbers, isn't it? EA is never releasing a game that is still bringing them :20bux: a month of passive income.

I am certain that over the years EA has held meetings and discussed making an honest-to-god successor to SC4, and decided there wouldn't be enough up-front revenue to justify the significant resources making such a game would require. That's a poor business decision if you're thinking long term--SC4 didn't sell huge at its launch, but it's not an exaggeration to say there are very few video games ever made that have demonstrated SC4's staying power--but corporate executives do not think long term. Their every incentive is to never look past the end of their own nose. What good is revenue five years from now? I'll have long since been fired if the games I make aren't bestsellers at launch.

Now if we can make a city simulator that The Sims players, who outnumber and especially outspend SimCity players twenty or thirty times over, would buy... that would be the golden fuckin' ticket. And so that is what they tried to do, and someday will try to do again.

From the inside of a corporate monolith there is zero incentive to craft a robust produce, embrace a modding community around it and maintain it for years. Profit right now is all that matters.

Edit: Removed the last bit of my post because it was both overcaustic and kind of a nonsequitur.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 4, 2015

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Who knows what would have happened if EA never bought Maxis.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

benzine posted:

Who knows what would have happened if EA never bought Maxis.

We would have had kind of a lovely 3D SimCity 3000 in the year 1998 that may or may not have killed Maxis through lack of sales.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

We would have had kind of a lovely 3D SimCity 3000 in the year 1998 that may or may not have killed Maxis through lack of sales.

Not with a bang but with a whimper.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ExtraNoise posted:

I remember the screenshots in PC Gamer.

:allears:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I had a funny thought. SimCity 4 is often hailed as the last great game in the city sim genre, even though it released as a 2D isometric game in 2003, defiant to the trend of 3D. I imagine at least part of the reason they did this was to avoid making concessions to the size or scope of the game. Each game since SimCity had a progressively larger scope, and more creative possibilities. I quite imagine if SimCity 4 had been 3D in 2003, it would have suffered from lots of the same problems SimCity 2013 had; large concessions to the creative scope and performance of the game. As it is the game chugged even on top of the line systems of its day.

The point is 3D isn't inherently a bad idea, but we had to wait for technology to catch up. I think agents represent a similar problem, but developers are opting to make. It sucks because I really think agents are the coolest way to do a city sim, and I can't wait to see a bustling metropolis with a 1:1 representation of agents. It would be cool on many levels, but most of all emergent gameplay potential; ie. traffic problems would evolve organically, and need to be solved in kind. But what kind of computer could handle such a simulation?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Poizen Jam posted:

But what kind of computer could handle such a simulation?

My intuition says the answer is "a GPU".

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Posting an image from Simtropolis.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of Simtropolis, did anyone see this? :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

Dang.

Mildly related, is anyone else seeing their address bar and tab title change font and font size for that page? Just that one in particular. Seeing that in Chrome 40 and I am somewhat intrigued as to what kind of weird CSS could modify browser properties like that :staredog:

e: Illustration of what I mean, notice the totally different font sizes (and possibly fonts): http://i.imgur.com/HWdax4A.png

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Tusen Takk posted:

We have found peak weeaboo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

We have found peak weeaboo.

Like, Japanese city and infrastructure is really awesome, but writing a role-play about it and calling me anything-san is some next level poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good non-HD watermod? I tried Gobias' and it seems to make the game poo poo itself

edit: turns out it was from the Appalachian mod, not the water. Always test your terrain mods in city squares that actually have stuff in them, folks!

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
For the NAM Rural Road pieces, it seems like you have to plop each road section one by one?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Subyng posted:

For the NAM Rural Road pieces, it seems like you have to plop each road section one by one?

I'm not sure what exactly you're going for, but I got dirt roads by using the starter piece and then dragging ordinary streets from there. It skins whatever texture you selected all the way along.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
http://www.clickhole.com/video/lesbians-explain-simcity-4-cheat-codes-1862

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So this is a thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You guys know ClickHole is a parody site networked with the Onion right?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Added to OP.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Samopsa posted:

You guys know ClickHole is a parody site networked with the Onion right?

Yes and it doesn't make it any less amazing or ?????? ?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get the feeling that Maxis, et al. are only interested in making a game that's the city-building analogue to Farmville - something that appeals to the casual Facebook gamers of the world while being tied into bigger, more well-known AAA titles - hence Simcity 5 and hence the agents. I don't even know if we're ever gonna get something on SC4's level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

I get the feeling that Maxis, et al. are only interested in making a game that's the city-building analogue to Farmville - something that appeals to the casual Facebook gamers of the world while being tied into bigger, more well-known AAA titles - hence Simcity 5 and hence the agents. I don't even know if we're ever gonna get something on SC4's level.

From EA, no, we certainly never will. Someday... it doesn't look like the upcoming Paradox title will be it, but someday... I think someone will produce a worthy successor to SC4.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eric the Mauve posted:

From EA, no, we certainly never will. Someday... it doesn't look like the upcoming Paradox title will be it, but someday... I think someone will produce a worthy successor to SC4.

I think the only way you're gonna get that is if a)someone from EA (finally) makes the .exe available open-source or b)another decade goes by and someone finally gets the courage to hack into the .exe and essentially re-engineer the game from the ground up, EA be damned.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Dang.

Mildly related, is anyone else seeing their address bar and tab title change font and font size for that page? Just that one in particular. Seeing that in Chrome 40 and I am somewhat intrigued as to what kind of weird CSS could modify browser properties like that :staredog:
You're not the only one. This is the tooltip that comes up when hovering over the link:

:confused: Weird.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, sending in Mimes to increase happy points was a good mechanic. And who doesn't love whimsy in their cities with candy cane street lights next to their fairy tale castle homes?

Still waiting for my Sim City Societies sequel, EA.

(I did find the Orwellian, cyberpunk and industrialist themes kinda cool though, for ten minutes.)

Edit: I just decided to give a dip into the dependency hell of simtrop. First one to try? Adfly link. :suicide:

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 5, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I've been rather busy with a new region that I really like. It's loving massive, and I'm trying not to go super-saiyan with all the skyscrapers and starting with low-density and spreading out. So far so good!

Seawalls take more time that I'd like to admit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
So apparently CAM and SPAM are incompatible and while stuff mostly seems to work on a simulation level you'd get stuff like demand graphs would start showing you false information which would lead to abandonment issues and I think spam farms don't get to their later growth stages. Or was it the other way around? It's all very confusing. There's ghost whispers that there might be some tinkerish way to kinda patch them to work together by conforming spam growth stages into cam growth stages or some jargon like that but there's no fix files floating around in the ether of Sim City forums that I could find.

Can smart people confirm or deny or expand upon that? I got my setup from Oldfashioned/Tai's which I think just has both of them jammed in there. Does that mean the modpacks are sort of busted?

edit: ^^^ nice! Always good to see more pictures in the thread. Elevator access seaport? You could bulldoze an area south of the port, dig down to port elevation and have a road access tunnel go underneath a block of factories for that interwoven infrastructure look.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 5, 2015

• Locked thread