Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So last night we introduced ourselves and then RPed our meeting on the ship, as we're headed off to Alderaan of all places. Apparently this is taking place 2-3 years before the movies/destruction of the planet! So we had our first actual session today.

Highlights include Charles claiming to be Sheila's owner and her threatening to rip his leg off and shove the whole length of it down his throat, Charles kicking a cleaner droid off a balcony and then getting rammed off a moving skiff by Tiff, and Charles generally being an rear end in a top hat at every turn.

So far we've successfully found an imperial outpost, lured a large amount of wild animals to it, and sabotaged its weapon emplacements so it couldn't fight back. We then waited for the animals to clear out, and then stole some uniforms. And paint. So Tiff is now painted black with gold metal parts instead of red with gold metal parts, the three humans have imperial officer uniforms, and Sheila got to beat an Imp to death by lifting up and hitting him with a speeder bike. Continually.

Our mission is apparently to track down a datacube on Alderaan, detailing the Rebel Alliance's dealings with alderaanian nobility, as if it's exposed, we expect the Empire to wipe out the current noble families. Which would be bad. We suspect it might be in an imperial research station being cracked, thus why we stole uniforms. We have no idea what we're going to do about Sheila, because she refuses to play along with being a slave, so we're probably gonna end up shooting imperials to death anyways. Which is good because Michael was getting tired of having to play nice with imps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

If any of y'all are interested, Andy Fischer from FFG and I are doing an interview tonight with the Order66 podcast at 20:00 CST about Stay On Target. You should come hear me talk about spaceships!

Order 66

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

If any of y'all are interested, Andy Fischer from FFG and I are doing an interview tonight with the Order66 podcast at 20:00 CST about Stay On Target. You should come hear me talk about spaceships!

Order 66

I will definitely listen to the podcast version! Saturday nights aren't the best for me

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Right on. They usually aren't for me either, this just happened to be the one time I didn't have work/a game/a gig and when Fisch was free.

Edit: Oh, looks like we're on Twitch tonight, too! O66 Twitch.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
They're up.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

In the new campaign I'm putting together I'm thinking about letting the players acquire a YT-2400 at the end of the first adventure (they don't start with a ship).

Any thoughts on whether that's a good idea? The rulebook seems to suggest it would be too powerful for a newer party, but stat-wise it's just a slightly better YT-1300, so I'm not sure what to think.

I just want to give my players a nice, reasonably powerful freighter with upgrade options, but without going the stock standard 1300 route, because I think everyone is sick to death of that ship by now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, if you want to buck cliche, how about something non-Corellian? :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if you want to buck cliche, how about something non-Corellian? :v:

The Corellian ships all look the coolest though.

Although I am also tempted to have them grab a Lambda shuttle, which opens up some interesting things as a GM such as being investigated by the Imperial Navy for grand theft spaceship.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Endman posted:

The Corellian ships all look the coolest though.

The Ghtroc 720 and Gallofree YKL-37R Nova say CEC isn't the only one who can make a good looking tramp freighter. :colbert:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

The correct answer is the Wayfarer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its Corellian though, and I'm trying to suggest non-CEC ships. :v:

Its a cool ship if you don't mind Shil5 though.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
In today's Adventure, our R4 Astromech Droid PC got to learn why it's a bad idea to fast draw against a trio of Imperial Ace TIE Interceptor pilots, when all three have blasters drawn and are goading a second PC into a duel.

In our next Adventure, our party will get to learn about the rules for long-term droid repairs.

Good times.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Ghtroc is such a cute little ship, it's like a little space turtle. :3:

I don't have the sourcebook that it's in, though, so I might stick them with the Wayfarer and tell them to deal with the 5 silhouette as I chuck TIE/ds at them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, judging by the partial stats listed on this index, the 720 is actually worse than the YT-1300.But hey, it IS a space turtle...

Fan stats for the Nova Courier are pretty nice looking though, very similar to the YT-2400. 2 less system strain, and 1 less customization hardpoint, but has a concussion missile launcher.

And hey, at least the R4 is probably pretty hard to actually kill kill, as long as his memory storage doesn't get fried.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 1, 2015

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Space combat is tricky in this game. I almost blew up the parties ship as they were fleeing from 4 TIEs and a Lambda shuttle with the officer on board. They managed to blow up 3 of the TIEs and heavily harm the shuttle, but mostly because I was looking at the wrong stat page.

I do wish that I would get a chance to PC rather than GM, but everyone keeps saying they are having fun so I must be doing something right (even if I left their ship with 3 hull points left)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So after you make a PC in the nice character generator how do I export it into a readable file for google drive?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You can either get a PDF printer like CutePDF to save it to PDF or you can save it as XPS and upload it to Google Drive, which seems to handle those files fine.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

My Export options is greyed out and saves it as xml as default

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

try print

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That did it thanks, although it saved as oxps as default for some reason (which didnt work with the drive), just had to change the format again and it worked

Endman
May 18, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Space combat is tricky in this game. I almost blew up the parties ship as they were fleeing from 4 TIEs and a Lambda shuttle with the officer on board. They managed to blow up 3 of the TIEs and heavily harm the shuttle, but mostly because I was looking at the wrong stat page.

I always find it handy to use the GM tools that are paired with this character generator to print out the stat blocks of everything in an individual encounter on a single page, especially if it's a space battle. You also need to do a lot of behind-the-screen work keeping track of the ranges and speeds everything is running at.

Also, if you run a lot of space battles, I'd say definitely take a squiz at Stay on Target. It has neat rules for passive conditions, such as flying through asteroid fields and giant space battles. The latter is especially useful for creating the feel of being in a big space battle without necessarily keeping track of every individual thing that's happening that doesn't directly involve the players.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there an idea of a release date for Force & Destiny (the complete, non-beta release)? I'm putting the finishing touches on a big combo EotE/AoR/F&D campaign and would like to wait until F&D's release before I debut it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Drone posted:

Is there an idea of a release date for Force & Destiny (the complete, non-beta release)? I'm putting the finishing touches on a big combo EotE/AoR/F&D campaign and would like to wait until F&D's release before I debut it.

Given the release date for the Beginner's Game (Q2) I would say July at the earliest, probably Gencon

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Endman posted:

I always find it handy to use the GM tools that are paired with this character generator to print out the stat blocks of everything in an individual encounter on a single page, especially if it's a space battle. You also need to do a lot of behind-the-screen work keeping track of the ranges and speeds everything is running at.

Also, if you run a lot of space battles, I'd say definitely take a squiz at Stay on Target. It has neat rules for passive conditions, such as flying through asteroid fields and giant space battles. The latter is especially useful for creating the feel of being in a big space battle without necessarily keeping track of every individual thing that's happening that doesn't directly involve the players.

Thank you! This will be invaluable!

Following all of your ideas I'm going to make my campaign after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Since the party is working for Borga the Hutt, he will contract them out to investigate several raids by a currently unknown gang into his territory.

Following the latest lead will turn them up at a warehouse that Borga was using to move illegal spices. The warehouse actually contains a secret bunker that the 'gang' was looking for. It is a chamber that holds a piece to unlock the chamber of an ancient Sith Lord that discovered immortality.

The gang itself are cultists that worship the Sith and seek to restore the Sith Lord to life. The Emperor wants the tomb for himself and so backing them and using Stormtroopers to help.

I figure I can mostly port the set pieces over and throw in enough sci-fi that they'll never see it through it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Still a little salty here in Seattle:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Thank you! This will be invaluable!

Following all of your ideas I'm going to make my campaign after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Since the party is working for Borga the Hutt, he will contract them out to investigate several raids by a currently unknown gang into his territory.

Following the latest lead will turn them up at a warehouse that Borga was using to move illegal spices. The warehouse actually contains a secret bunker that the 'gang' was looking for. It is a chamber that holds a piece to unlock the chamber of an ancient Sith Lord that discovered immortality.

The gang itself are cultists that worship the Sith and seek to restore the Sith Lord to life. The Emperor wants the tomb for himself and so backing them and using Stormtroopers to help.

I figure I can mostly port the set pieces over and throw in enough sci-fi that they'll never see it through it.

That sounds like a cool, fun time. I'm also writing an adventure involving Sith tomb shenanigans on Dromund Kaas where blasters don't work. :unsmigghh: Good luck!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

alg posted:

Given the release date for the Beginner's Game (Q2) I would say July at the earliest, probably Gencon

Well crap. I don't want to wait that long, so I guess I'll run it sooner. I'm not up-to-date on any of the F&D errata at all, so that'll be fun getting all that together.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Well crap. I don't want to wait that long, so I guess I'll run it sooner. I'm not up-to-date on any of the F&D errata at all, so that'll be fun getting all that together.

Here ya go, this is the errata document.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fly Casual is on the boat. Hopefully I should have Lords of Nal Hutta today.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My players have decided that the two missions they've failed for Hutts are actually the Hutts' fault, and want to go kill a Hutt next week. I might have to drop by the FFG Game Center and pick it up sooner rather than later, to make sure I get a copy.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, I'm picking up my copy of Nal Hutta right now. I could probably answer a few questions in a bit, if anyone is interested.

Endman
May 18, 2010

alg posted:

Fly Casual is on the boat.

I am pretty hyped for this. That said, the boat takes forever.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Endman posted:

I am pretty hyped for this. That said, the boat takes forever.

Slow boat from China? :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am a little surprised by Lords of Nal Hutta. I wasn't expecting quite so much data, I guess. I hadn't read all the previews, though. There's a lot more about Hutt space's individual planets and Hutt clans than I expected. Here's this planet, with this history, these critters; here's this Hutt clan, with this Hutt and that Hutt doing these Hutt things. There are also four modular adventures. Hutts!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are there any Hutts in there who aren't involved in intergalactic crime in one way or another? :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are there any Hutts in there who aren't involved in intergalactic crime in one way or another? :v:

Yeah, I'd also be interested in seeing how Hutts in other occupations fare (if they even exist), like a Hutt priest or something. (as in, one that doesn't exploit is post for collection money and the like)

But you know, while playing EotE last night with some friends, we were talking about this - the best PC Hutt suggestion we made (that I can remember, at least - since the group made a lot, most of which I won't put on the internet :D) was a force-sensitive Hutt that just force-pulls food towards its mouth instead of waiting on slaves to bring it, and pumps everything into force-jump, so it can rapidly fling itself into/through enemies, as well as a mode of transportation, instead of using barges like a schmuck; by just catapulting itself across the cityscape of Nar Shaddaa.

EDIT: Sort of like a mini "Leto Atreides II" (in the early worm days anyway, before he got too big) I suppose, minus the ability to see into the future.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Major Isoor posted:

Sort of like a mini "Leto Atreides II" (in the early worm days anyway, before he got too big) I suppose, minus the ability to see into the future.

Why stop there? Dump the rest of your xp into Foresee :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FishFood posted:

Why stop there? Dump the rest of your xp into Foresee :v:

I...I completely forgot about this possibility. :aaaaa: I now seriously doubt my ability to resist playing as SW Leto, with his trusty clone/ghola Duncan Idaho at his side (rapidly being replaced whenever they die), striving to overthrow the corrupt Padishah Emperor Emperor Palpatine, to install himself on the throne instead.

...However, I'm so sure about how keen the rest of the group will be :D

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Next Age of Rebellion book has been announced, Desperate Allies - Sourcebook for Diplomats

Diplomat is an interesting choice for the 2nd career splat, but I'm all for it. Far Horizons made Colonists interesting, can't wait to see what they do with Diplomats. Caamasi, Neimoidian, and Gossam are the new species options. I'm really excited for Caamasi in particular. Love their memory gimmick.

New career options are the Advocate, Analyst, and Propagandist

Oooh, and rules for setting up Rebel bases. I like it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm hoping the Diplomat book will encourage people to actually play the class. From my experience, it's the most overlooked class among players. It's a pity, because whenever I write in a good talky scene, my players often trip over themselves and end up blasting their way out regardless.