Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

proof of concept posted:

I'm aware of how punishing wrestling is on the performers. I never said prepping a table made it fake, or soft like a pillow, or that having a dude jump on you is a picnic even when the table does break, but in the context of botch videos where they don't break and the ref is doing the hands-on-head oh poo poo gesture it seems like a sensible safety precaution to take. Are you saying tables are never prepped and it's really just a matter of getting the right type and/or brand? I'd think the WWE at least would take steps to make sure "table didn't break" isn't something that sidelines any of their talent since providing reliable props is a variable they can actually control.

So yeah I guess my question is whether that variable is strictly down to table choice or if there is ever any additional prep work at any level of the game

e. guess not if this video is anything to judge by so yeah, never mind

Japanese tables are a bitch, thats why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I so want to know what Vince was screaming in the headset when that was happening.

I dunno, but when they got backstage he almost fired Arn Anderson on the spot and was going ballistic until Cena stepped up and said he called for the Piledriver in the ring. Now he could have just been taking the wrap or he could have legit called for it, but he basically saved Arn's job. But the moral of the story is Vince was furious, probably because it was a Piledriver on Cena and in his mind he's going "What if he botched, then our top draw on the rode to mania has a broken neck!"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Onmi posted:

I dunno, but when they got backstage he almost fired Arn Anderson on the spot and was going ballistic until Cena stepped up and said he called for the Piledriver in the ring. Now he could have just been taking the wrap or he could have legit called for it, but he basically saved Arn's job. But the moral of the story is Vince was furious, probably because it was a Piledriver on Cena and in his mind he's going "What if he botched, then our top draw on the rode to mania has a broken neck!"

It's a drat shame Punk and WWE are never ever ever getting back together, because Cena/Punk was the feud that got me back into wrestling, and that match is one of the greatest Cena has ever put on

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

I'm a mark for Steen so I'm biased, but I don't see how it's any different than the Gotch-style or a tombstone variants. It's a cool variation without seeming too contrived imo.

yeah i like both of those. i guess it just seems overly elaborate to me compared to changing the grip slightly or having the guy facing the other way. i'm not into the indie thing of doing moves as lifting spinning versions either, like the Angel's Wings. just comes off as trying to be fancy at the expense of actually looking damaging to me. although thinking about it i guess Arn's spinebuster was a lifting spinning version and i love that so what are ya gonna do.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 4, 2015

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

The funniest/saddest thing about wrestling is that everyone thinks it's all fake and the guys go through way more punishment than they have to. I've heard the dumbest things, like 'those are fake steel chairs" or "that's fake blood" when guys are really getting blasted in the head and bleeding hardway.

People who don't know about wrestling assume that no one could be so dumb as to REALLY do this stuff, so of course the tables must be rigged and the chairs must be fake and the ring must be as fluffy as a pillow

I had this debate with some friends and then showed them ladder war 3. :smuggo: to :stonk: pretty quickly.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What does the M that Cesaro keeps putting in tweets and hand gestures stand for/signify?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What does the M that Cesaro keeps putting in tweets and hand gestures stand for/signify?

The team with Kidd is called the "Masters of the WWE Universe"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ahh, that makes sense. Cheers!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The team with Kidd is called the "Masters of the WWE Universe"

Kidd is Battle Cat and Cesaro is He-Man.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Onmi posted:

The funniest part is I'm pretty sure the last piledriver like that in WWE was also done to Cena, during the Michaels Wrestlemania match (23?). On the ring steps, at that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who is booking NXT? It can't be the same team that shits out Raw every Monday

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smoking Crow posted:

some guy, pat patterson, and Trips

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Ryan Ward.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Smoking Crow posted:

Ryan Ward, overseen by Dusty and HHH I believe.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Thauros posted:

What are some examples of a single major loss seriously affecting a wrestler in kayfabe like the current Okada angle?

There was the time Bobby Roode lost his title to Austin Aries in TNA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oi3Efyw8gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pGaU4e6NE
(starts at 5:40 ish)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So I came across Halloween Havoc '97 and had never seen the main event finish before, when the fan climbed into the cage and got beat up by Hogan/Savage. Was this an actual unplanned thing or another one of WCW's lame attempts at a worked shoot?

It was literally the only interesting thing about Hogan/Piper. That match was garbage and made worse when the real Sting didn't even come out.

E: I guess the other interesting thing was an 80-year-old Savage nearly breaking his legs jumping off the goddamned cage. Who the hell signed off on that?

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 4, 2015

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Benne posted:

So I came across Halloween Havoc '97 and had never seen the main event finish before, when the fan climbed into the cage and got beat up by Hogan/Savage. Was this an actual unplanned thing or another one of WCW's lame attempts at a worked shoot?

That was a real run in by an actual fan in a Sting mask: since the announcers were never clued in on stuff that was going to happen beforehand, they had no idea it wasn't part of the show.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has there ever been a heel whose gimmick is he hates wrestling, but he's really good at it so that's why he does it? Like he insults all the fans for liking this stupid garbage hobby, but he makes tons of money so he keeps doing it?

I guess I described Brock Lesnar but you know what I mean. That's gold. A golden gimmick right there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Alan_Shore posted:

Has there ever been a heel whose gimmick is he hates wrestling, but he's really good at it so that's why he does it? Like he insults all the fans for liking this stupid garbage hobby, but he makes tons of money so he keeps doing it?

I guess I described Brock Lesnar but you know what I mean. That's gold. A golden gimmick right there.

1993 Jeff Jarrertt only wrestled so he could get exposure for his country music career. In 1995 he released his debut album Ain't I Great, and it sold out so fast that you couldn't even find a copy at the stores. He eventually decided he liked wrestling though, and stuck around a few more decades.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sticklefifer posted:

Kidd is Battle Cat and Cesaro is He-Man.

Can't believe they're rehashing that gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-h6N44AbI

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Alan_Shore posted:

I want to say Vince McMahon, but he was never good at wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

proof of concept posted:

I'm aware of how punishing wrestling is on the performers. I never said prepping a table made it fake, or soft like a pillow, or that having a dude jump on you is a picnic even when the table does break, but in the context of botch videos where they don't break and the ref is doing the hands-on-head oh poo poo gesture it seems like a sensible safety precaution to take. Are you saying tables are never prepped and it's really just a matter of getting the right type and/or brand? I'd think the WWE at least would take steps to make sure "table didn't break" isn't something that sidelines any of their talent since providing reliable props is a variable they can actually control.

So yeah I guess my question is whether that variable is strictly down to table choice or if there is ever any additional prep work at any level of the game

e. guess not if this video is anything to judge by so yeah, never mind

Oh yeah I wasn't arguing with you, just your question reminded me of all the times people assume wrestling is safer than it is, that's all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Can't believe they're rehashing that gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-h6N44AbI

Haha, I knew someone would post that.

That clip reminded me of something I totally forgot about : Heenan used to relentlessly make "Big Boss Man's mom" jokes. I don't even remember how that started, but it ended up with Heenan getting his rear end kicked once all his boys were out of the way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

It was literally the only interesting thing about Hogan/Piper. That match was garbage and made worse when the real Sting didn't even come out.

E: I guess the other interesting thing was an 80-year-old Savage nearly breaking his legs jumping off the goddamned cage. Who the hell signed off on that?

It was actually a plant you can see Hogan using worked punches on him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

sticklefifer posted:

Haha, I knew someone would post that.

That clip reminded me of something I totally forgot about : Heenan used to relentlessly make "Big Boss Man's mom" jokes. I don't even remember how that started, but it ended up with Heenan getting his rear end kicked once all his boys were out of the way.

I'm pretty sure it started with Rick Rude making the jokes, but then Rude quit so Heenan just kept going. And then Bossman plowed through the entire Heenan family because Bossman was awesome. It ended with Heenan getting the rare and dreaded Ball and Chain to the gut.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This might be a dumb question, but I'm watching the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-South tapes the Network just put up, and there are almost no entrances to speak of, at least by our modern standards. When did the concept of a proper entrance with theme music and theatrics really start to catch on? Maybe not until the WWF itself took off?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Benne posted:

This might be a dumb question, but I'm watching the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-South tapes the Network just put up, and there are almost no entrances to speak of, at least by our modern standards. When did the concept of a proper entrance with theme music and theatrics really start to catch on? Maybe not until the WWF itself took off?

I haven't seen the shows in question yet but it wouldn't shock me if the entrances have been removed or were never broadcast on tv to begin with thanks to copyright, I'm pretty sure that's what happened with WCCW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Like most things, it probably started with Gorgeous George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9e0QaEx4M

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Like most things, it probably started with Gorgeous George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9e0QaEx4M

It dates back a bit earlier, a British wrestler had a live orchestra play him out. It really became popularized in the late 70s, Michael Hayes deserves credit here as well as Hogan in the AWA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss when people would just use licensed music and not give a poo poo. Terry Funk coming out to Man With A Harmonica is so good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Alain Post posted:

I miss when people would just use licensed music and not give a poo poo. Terry Funk coming out to Man With A Harmonica is so good.

Him coming out to Desperado always seemed a bit strange to me though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Him coming out to Desperado always seemed a bit strange to me though.

HE's a cowboy

He's got a ranch and everything

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Smoking Crow posted:

HE's a cowboy

He's got a ranch and everything

It's thematically good but it's such a chill easy listening type song.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alain Post posted:

"The Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez coming out to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was a real :psyduck:, but then again in the early eighties they had no idea on what to do with entrance music, so they just threw out any old thing. My favorite was some ICW guy coming out to the Indiana Jones theme.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

"The Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez coming out to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was a real :psyduck:, but then again in the early eighties they had no idea on what to do with entrance music, so they just threw out any old thing. My favorite was some ICW guy coming out to the Indiana Jones theme.

Randy Savage used to come out to the theme from "Fame" before he started using Pomp and Circumstance.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's thematically good but it's such a chill easy listening type song.

I love guys coming out to somewhat chill songs.

Maybe it's a cowboy thing. I always enjoyed Matt Hughes coming out to A Country Boy Can Survive

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Randy Savage used to come out to the theme from "Fame" before he started using Pomp and Circumstance.

Oddly enough, it's Randy Savage, and he could make that work.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

triplexpac posted:

Maybe it's a cowboy thing. I always enjoyed Matt Hughes coming out to A Country Boy Can Survive

I like the idea of Terry Funk coming out of Gorilla to beat the poo poo of a dude with barbed wire to Desperado

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

triplexpac posted:

Hughes is the ultimate example of the hick rear end in a top hat who has no identity besides "I'm a country boy," so it really fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

While we're on the subject of Terry Funk themes, the theme he uses in Japan is pretty cool although admittedly not as good as the other famous cowboy gaijin theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnr8rf_5Y8