Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The fusion changes are good because the only thing they did is cut out a lot of tedium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

imo the problem with SMT4 (well the most annoying one) was too many quality of life improvements. particularly the fusion and saving changes, those completely destroy the difficulty the game might have

I'm curious what JRPGs, if any, you consider to be difficult.

Well, I didn't include the IV there but IV really is a really easy game I feel.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

SMT IV is really good you loving goons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

littleorv posted:

Also minus a few boss fights here and there SMT games aren't exactly that hard. Sure they don't pull punches but they give you every opportunity to smash the enemy's face in just as hard as they smash yours.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's not my favorite but it's cool

still don't like alignment as handled tho

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

littleorv posted:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also minus a few boss fights here and there SMT games aren't exactly that hard. Sure they don't pull punches but they give you every opportunity to smash the enemy's face in just as hard as they smash yours.

I mean if you know what you're doing SMT gives you the tools to curbstomp everything. So long as you actually know how to use them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Persona 3 Movie: Part 3 trailer with subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhstCrt5bRA

At this point, is the only thing I'm interested from the Persona series.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

I mean if you know what you're doing SMT gives you the tools to curbstomp everything. So long as you actually know how to use them.

For example: charge + myriad of arrows = easy win against most bosses. This is not a complaint it's actually really awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wow this sure looks like the Persona 3 story, I guess. Now, I haven't seen any of the previous 2 because I don't care enough to yet again experience p3's amazing cast, but is it just the main story or do they work in the S. Link poo poo like the P4 anime did?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wow this sure looks like the Persona 3 story, I guess. Now, I haven't seen any of the previous 2 because I don't care enough to yet again experience p3's amazing cast, but is it just the main story or do they work in the S. Link poo poo like the P4 anime did?

I've only seen the first part but this rendition of Burn My Dread is my favourite (it's from the movie if that wasn't obvious).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63O7X2jeWFM

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The fact it doesn't pull its punches is definitely part of what makes SMT 'hard', and a big part of its appeal, I think. In most other JRPGs, I find that they can be very lenient and forgiving for most of the game; if your mistake isn't colossal, you can probably still power through, it's just not going to go as smoothly. They can get tough later on if they want to, and at that point your strategic flaws will cause death, without much room to mitigate. I recently finished Bravely Default, and when that game wants to get hard then you will die immediately unless you're prepared.

The strength of SMT's difficulty is that it's always like that. It will punish you for your mistakes immediately, and liberally. But with SMT's demon skills/weakness systems being what they are, your strategies are constantly shifting anyway. It leads to an element of compromise; compare to Final Fantasy, where once you have a strategy, it's always there, and will never really go away. In SMT, you're likely to never face two bosses with the same team, and building a perfect demon is usually quite out of the question. So you can never have a perfect strategy, you just need to keep improvising and improving. And if you gently caress that up, you WILL die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They very loosely work the social link stuff in.

Cleretic posted:

The fact it doesn't pull its punches is definitely part of what makes SMT 'hard', and a big part of its appeal, I think. In most other JRPGs, I find that they can be very lenient and forgiving for most of the game; if your mistake isn't colossal, you can probably still power through, it's just not going to go as smoothly. They can get tough later on if they want to, and at that point your strategic flaws will cause death, without much room to mitigate. I recently finished Bravely Default, and when that game wants to get hard then you will die immediately unless you're prepared.

The strength of SMT's difficulty is that it's always like that. It will punish you for your mistakes immediately, and liberally. But with SMT's demon skills/weakness systems being what they are, your strategies are constantly shifting anyway. It leads to an element of compromise; compare to Final Fantasy, where once you have a strategy, it's always there, and will never really go away. In SMT, you're likely to never face two bosses with the same team, and building a perfect demon is usually quite out of the question. So you can never have a perfect strategy, you just need to keep improvising and improving. And if you gently caress that up, you WILL die.

Yeah, what I think is one of SMT's strength is that it will hit you hard if you let it but it gives you the tools to get around that. It is 'hard' in that it will kill you but not hard in that it is excessively demanding.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't like how every boss past Medusa goes down in 2 or 3 turns. That's my main complaint with SMT4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

MC doing the badass action walk with Koro is the best part of that trailer by a mile.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Running around in the city districts was cool in SMT4, but it was pretty annoying that monsters were always crawling up your rear end so you can't really stop and properly look around.

Having Macca Beam in a game where money is super scarce is pretty lame though!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't like how every boss past Medusa goes down in 2 or 3 turns. That's my main complaint with SMT4.

I like it in theory but I wish there was more work put into making it happen. if you had to really customize your team and then you stepped all over a boss it would feel satisfying. SMTIV ran into the problem of not really needing that.

TurnipFritter posted:

Having Macca Beam in a game where money is super scarce is pretty lame though!

The Macca Beam is easily the worst attack in the game.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

Persona Stalker Club: Nippon Budokan Special

I thought for a moment this said "Persona Strip Club" and got excited that they'd announced a new game.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Top 25 Persona music: http://p-ch.jp/

Number 25: Signs of Love

24: Snowflakes.

23: Heartbeat, Heartbreak.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 4, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Do you guys want to know what Persona songs Japan really, really likes the most? Of course you do.

25) Signs of love
24) Snowflakes
23) Heartbeat, Heartbreak
22) Fog
21) Long Way
20) deep breath deep breath
19) Poem for Everyone's Souls
18) Time
17) The Almighty
16) A New World Fool
15) Shadow World
14) Key Plus Words
13) Brand New Days
12) Maze of Life
11) Your Affection
10) Pursuing my True Self
09) Time to Make History
08) The Battle for Everyone's Souls
07) Heaven
06) Heartful Cry
05) Mass Destruction
04) Nevermore
03) Reach out to the Truth
02) Burn my Dread
01) Memories of You

No I'll Face Myself. Japan is dead to me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

No I'll Face Myself. Japan is dead to me.

What about Burn my Dread -last battle- or Backside of the TV?? :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 4, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That list doesn't have Let Butterflies Spread Until The Dawn, so i refuse to aknowledge it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Freak Futanari posted:

That list doesn't have Let Butterflies Spread Until The Dawn, so i refuse to aknowledge it.

That's fine, people refuse to acknowledge the first two Persona games :v:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Where's Light the Fire Up in the Night?

Memories of You is like my least favorite Persona song, but I guess in Japan they aren't naturally allergic to J-pop.

Actually #1 on the list should be Satomi Tadashi Pharmacy Song.

E: And #2-5 or so are the goofy remixes of it from Persona 2.

What was the result of the P4 character poll? Mostly just curious if it is true that the Japanese fans dislike Marie as much as we do.

asvodel fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 4, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kurtofan posted:

That's fine, people refuse to acknowledge the first two Persona games :v:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
mass destruction and burn my dread are not high enough

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

asvodel posted:

Actually #1 on the list should be Satomi Tadashi Pharmacy Song.

That or The Round Sun.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

GimmickMan posted:

01) Memories of You

Good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I disagree with this list therefore it is dumb and all who took part in it are also dumb.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I disagree with this list therefore it is dumb and all who took part in it are also dumb.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

On the plus side the character poll had the following:

4) Yu
3) Adachi
2) Chie
1) Yosuke

Yosuke is confirmed to be the best girl.

Alabaster White posted:

What about Burn my Dread -last battle- or Backside of the TV?? :colbert:

The lack of I'll Face Myself was the last straw.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Memories of you is the best poo poo ever so I'm glad it's recognized as such, but yeah. No light the fire up, Ill Face Myself (Reincarnation), or Wiping All Out. Come on guys.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

littleorv posted:

also

Golden Goat posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, I'm just happy A New World Fool is up there, even if Wiping All Out and I'll Face Myself -Battle- are some pretty glaring exclusions.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Reach out for the Strewth at #3 is the Stockholm syndrome speaking. Hearing the first lines over and over again in every battle made people think they can't live without it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No mention of Maya or Innocent Sin's map themes?

Golden Goat posted:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

GimmickMan posted:

On the plus side the character poll had the following:

4) Yu
3) Adachi
2) Chie
1) Yosuke

Yosuke is confirmed to be the best girl.

where did this sudden yosuke love come from

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reminder to those just browsing:

about 50 minutes from now will be the first ??? presentation, likely followed by the Midnight Channel.

Also, it's good to see I didn't miss anything last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Poonerman posted:

where did this sudden yosuke love come from

he was weirdly "no homo" around kanji. i hate him.