Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've heard the managers have a quota of them they have to meet, and there's a time schedule where people are prompted to do it or something and then they record you doing it? I dunno how much of that is true, but it sounds like this hilarious dystopian promotion where you are only rewarded for love when a corporation allows it. Hyperbolic, sure, but man I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the promotion.

It's basically a more public version of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

canyoneer posted:

You read the articles about traits of millenials, and it reads like a horoscope where the reader can read anything they want out of it. I once read an article that described a group as "fickle and brand disloyal" while simultaneously talking about how they are all universally obsessed with Apple and Starbucks. :downs:

Tying into this, articles about "digital natives": Kids are super duper computer savvy and need no classes on word processing, old people! At the same these kids are completely lost without their teacher taking them by the hand and teach them entry level computer skills like moving a file to a directory.

There's a whole industry of marketing for marketeers with weird "research institutes" that will keep telling you the sky is falling, unless you follow these simple steps.

Captain Monkey posted:

This is 100% true. However, it's also 100% true what that one guy said about how the deregulation of child-focused advertising in the 80's has made us a generation of consumers who are ridiculously savvy about being marketed to. We saw almost literally every trick in the book before we hit puberty.

One of the more infuriating articles on this phenom I've read was how people hailed this as a brand new world of marketing with a bunch of Youtube celebs, fashion and tech bloggers all saying in unison that the future of news was them constantly pushing out sponsored blogs. The kids already know they're being marketed to: Now just stop the pretension and sell our soul to the highest bidder!

Between the lines you could hear them saying stuff like "schools and libraries are not getting with this new commercial utopia and need to go" (and one of them actually said so at a later date on his twitter feed).

Of course, lots of teenagers and kids i've spoken to in my last job didn't know poo poo was marketing, despite everyone pretending they knew.

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is really the core of the issue--it's not a generational shift so much as it is an economic one. After two consecutive generations of rising prosperity, millenials have less spending power on average than our parents. We aren't moving out to the suburbs en masse the way Boomers and Xers did, not so much because we're special snowflakes who are breaking the mold and changing the world but because in a lot of cases we can't afford to. And since it's not longer the thing that everybody is doing, even people that can afford it are thinking twice about it, which creates all kinds of differences in how we spend our money. How long and how much we continue to buck the trend depends a lot on how long it takes our generation to scrabble its way back to affluence.

Also this: marketing hinges on getting people to want things, things to strive for.
Turns out a lot of this is also tied into actually getting paid, having space to put said things and having time.

DONT TOUCH THE PC has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Feb 4, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

IndustrialApe posted:

Tying into this, articles about "digital natives": Kids are super duper computer savvy and need no classes on word processing, old people! At the same these kids are completely lost without their teacher taking them by the hand and teach them entry level computer skills like moving a file to a directory.

I wonder if this stereotype will die out. Up until recently computers really weren't that intuitive, but even a baby can use an iPad.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
We're never gonna get rid of the stereotype, I already encountered people (sorry, "digital natives") saying: "computers are so hard to use, why do I have to fill in my userID and password to get onto the university network?".

DONT TOUCH THE PC has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Feb 4, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Arguably it's going back to the days where only nerds know how to use a computer. Until tablets and smartphones were a thing, everyone needed a desktop or laptop to use the internet, and needed to learn a few basic computer things.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The way I see some marketing/demographics people try to define generations makes no sense to me sometimes. I'm almost 9 years older than my brother yet we are usually listed together for their purposes. When I was a senior in high school, internet access was hit or miss between me and my friends. I graduated from college before Facebook was widely available. I didn't have a phone worth sending text messages on until I was 27. Our technology upbringings really don't have anything in common. But I never see anyone willing to define the gap between Gen X and millenials.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

pentyne posted:

I wonder if all the "Lovin Managers" are female, because a greasy 38 year old dude telling a high school girl she has to hug him for free food is a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

What is up with all the goons posting these really loving creepy hypothetical situations?

Dude yells a company's catch phrase and gets free food. Seems like they had a good time, goons post this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

davidspackage posted:

Arguably it's going back to the days where only nerds know how to use a computer. Until tablets and smartphones were a thing, everyone needed a desktop or laptop to use the internet, and needed to learn a few basic computer things.

This is seems pretty accurate, yeah. Most of my friends don't know anything about their mobile devices, just their brain-dead simple apps, and god help them if something goes wrong there. Millennials have no innate ability with computers; god, you should see how much trouble CLIs give me. I'm sure plenty of Gen Xers could make me look like an rear end in a top hat there.

I mean, younger people probably have more computer skills generally compared to older people generally, but people who've worked data entry jobs for thirty years probably know a fuckload more than some random teen in an entry-level Microsoft Office tutorial class.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't think there was ever a point where a large proportion of people knew much about how to use computers. Most people who use computers regularly just memorise the steps that are required to do the specific things they want to do, and that's been the case since computers became common enough that people who didn't go out of their way to use them had to start.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think there was ever a point where a large proportion of people knew much about how to use computers. Most people who use computers regularly just memorise the steps that are required to do the specific things they want to do, and that's been the case since computers became common enough that people who didn't go out of their way to use them had to start.

I mean, it sort of depends on how you define computer skills. If you're just talking about making a computer do what you want it to do, then I think younger people are at a significant advantage. If you mean understanding why things work, then no, that's always been and is always going to be something specialized. It's the same way people know how to make a car go but only have a basic concept of what is happening under the hood.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

I'm not saying this is indicative of an entire generation, but a huge problem I see is how smartphones and tablets are instant gratification machines. No one needs a working knowledge of how to set one up so long as they have store associates do it for them. For example, my boyfriend's younger sister who just reached drinking age has no concept of data usage. The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family. She just goes "oops!" and asks to use "just one more gig" by promising her dad $10 as if data usage were some kind of parking meter. She lives on her goddamn iPhone. Whenever I see her she is snapchatting, on instagram, spotify, and whatever the hell else, in the house, not bothering or even knowing to connect to the wifi. To her it's this magical machine that she can use to look at inspirational "keep calm and..." pictures and send goofy duck faced pictures to her friends for hours without thought. She is just a personal account, but I also see this soo often everywhere. These are the kinds of millennials that this new kitschy marketing is aimed towards.

VVV Edit: Get off my lawn :argh:VVV

Jisae has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Feb 4, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jisae posted:

I'm not saying this is indicative of an entire generation, but a huge problem I see is how smartphones and tablets are instant gratification machines. No one needs a working knowledge of how to set one up so long as they have store associates do it for them. For example, my boyfriend's younger sister who just reached drinking age has no concept of data usage. The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family. She just goes "oops!" and asks to use "just one more gig" by promising her dad $10 as if data usage were some kind of parking meter. She lives on her goddamn iPhone. Whenever I see her she is snapchatting, on instagram, spotify, and whatever the hell else, in the house, not bothering or even knowing to connect to the wifi. To her it's this magical machine that she can use to look at inspirational "keep calm and..." pictures and send goofy duck faced pictures to her friends for hours without thought. She is just a personal account, but I also see this soo often everywhere. These are the kinds of millennials that this new kitschy marketing is aimed towards.

So when do you get your AARP card?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jisae posted:

The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family.

It's not just the kids, sometimes it's the adults as well. I know a family who used up their internet downloads for the month so they decided to use their son's phone as a Wifi router and run all their internet through there and were surprised when they ran up a $700 bill in just a few weeks. :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is why you just go unlimited and don't have to worry about poo poo like "download limits"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And TV made us stupid and rock and roll made us whores and writing made us too dumb to remember things.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

TetsuoTW posted:

And TV made us stupid and rock and roll made us whores and writing made us too dumb to remember things.

Millennial, in marketing terms, is a useless demographic and everyone who works with these kinds of statistics knows it. You don't market to 'kids' you market to fat kids or white kids or rich kids or whatever. I'd wager that the purchasing power of 18-34 year old men (the golden demographic) is so varied that if you try to manipulate them en masse you are going to fall flat on your dick. Successful marketing in the future is going to be laser precise and emphasize the kind of totemic bullshit you see from that dumb truck commercial.

e: and I'm not saying that "build a lifestyle with our product" is the name of the game, it's much angrier and more aggressive than that. You buy an apple phone because gently caress that other product. You buy a truck because gently caress those other cars. The antagonistic fox-news approach to marketing is going to be the modus operandi in the near future.

Rexicon1 has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rexicon1 posted:

Millennial, in marketing terms, is a useless demographic and everyone who works with these kinds of statistics knows it. You don't market to 'kids' you market to fat kids or white kids or rich kids or whatever. I'd wager that the purchasing power of 18-34 year old men (the golden demographic) is so varied that if you try to manipulate them en masse you are going to fall flat on your dick. Successful marketing in the future is going to be laser precise and emphasize the kind of totemic bullshit you see from that dumb truck commercial.

e: and I'm not saying that "build a lifestyle with our product" is the name of the game, it's much angrier and more aggressive than that. You buy an apple phone because gently caress that other product. You buy a truck because gently caress those other cars. The antagonistic fox-news approach to marketing is going to be the modus operandi in the near future.

I can't deny that this sort of thing has actively influenced my purchasing decisions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I mean, it sort of depends on how you define computer skills. If you're just talking about making a computer do what you want it to do, then I think younger people are at a significant advantage.

I don't think that's true. The main difference is in what people want their computer to do. Most people, regardless of age group, can figure out how to use modern computers to do what they want them to do, because modern computers are generally pretty easy to use. But very few people of any age bother to understand why this is the way to make the computer to do that or how that relates to doing similar tasks or what to do if it's not working the way you expect it to. And most people once they have a way to do something will continue to do it that way, even if the software changes and makes that method obsolete or introduces a more efficient way to do things, because if you're not thinking about why you do it that way then it's essentially just a meaningless set of steps that results in the thing you want to happen happening. To do it another way would mean memorising a new set of arbitrary steps.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I'd wager that the purchasing power of 18-34 year old men (the golden demographic) is so varied that if you try to manipulate them en masse you are going to fall flat on your dick.
As someone who just stepped out of that demographic recently, I can say confidently that it's an insane grouping of people and a 30-something has only slightly more in common with an 18-year-old than they do with a loving pet rock.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that's true. The main difference is in what people want their computer to do. Most people, regardless of age group, can figure out how to use modern computers to do what they want them to do, because modern computers are generally pretty easy to use. But very few people of any age bother to understand why this is the way to make the computer to do that or how that relates to doing similar tasks or what to do if it's not working the way you expect it to. And most people once they have a way to do something will continue to do it that way, even if the software changes and makes that method obsolete or introduces a more efficient way to do things, because if you're not thinking about why you do it that way then it's essentially just a meaningless set of steps that results in the thing you want to happen happening. To do it another way would mean memorising a new set of arbitrary steps.

I mean, this is totally anecdotal, but I don't think I've heard a sentiment I've more immediately rejected. Mobile devices are often much more accessible to older age groups, for instance, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who just don't get it at all. Simple, intuitive UIs can only do so much when a person has simply never used anything like it ever before. The whole "desktop" concept was originally imagined to present to users an easy metaphor for them to understand a GUI, but that never stopped people from just not getting it at all despite it being really easy to comprehend for anyone that's familiar with a desk and its purpose.

Younger people understand computers better for much the same reasons why people born after the invention of film didn't dodge oncoming trains in movie theaters: the society they grew up in was already accustomed to the concept. This isn't to say young people can't be total morons or that older people can't grasp digital technology. I doubt, though, if we took a hundred people in their sixties, and a hundred people in their twenties, sat them in front of a computer, and told them to go to a given website, you'd bet on the group in their sixties getting there first.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The new Aygo campaign is a bit, uh...

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dr Scoofles posted:

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Racy advertising turns heads and gets attention - and if you want to get really technical you can go into the sexual theory behind the whole thing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What they really need is to get Alan Arkin for the TV spots so he can say "Aygo fun yourself"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

This is why you just go unlimited and don't have to worry about poo poo like "download limits"

Not all providers/plans are available in all areas or affordable to all people. I'm not sure if you realize that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dr Scoofles posted:

l'hashtag

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Trent posted:

Not all providers/plans are available in all areas or affordable to all people. I'm not sure if you realize that.

Goons never realize things like this. Everyone lives in places with the same things and has the same income.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

You'd be surprised how many foreign countries don't bother thinking of words for things like hashtag or computer and such. Italian is pretty egregious about it, but it's common in a lot of parts of Europe. The word for standing ovation in Italy is "standing ovation".

Ideally the top of that ad should read 'vaffunculo' :v:

Here's a good ad example, the bald one is Michael Bradley, an American soccer player who was playing for AS Roma at the time. The other guy is Francesco Totti, Roma's captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaZKQ-HKUM

Gigi Galli has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jisae posted:

my boyfriend's younger sister who just reached drinking age has no concept of data usage. The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family. She just goes "oops!" and asks to use "just one more gig" by promising her dad $10 as if data usage were some kind of parking meter ... To her it's this magical machine that she can use to look at inspirational "keep calm and..." pictures and send goofy duck faced pictures to her friends for hours without thought. She is just a personal account, but I also see this soo often everywhere. These are the kinds of millennials that this new kitschy marketing is aimed towards.

I mean, data caps are kind of a new "invention" that are sort of a load of horse poo poo? Home internet for a long time didn't have caps, or had caps that were pretty drat hard to hit. Data isn't like gas, it doesn't just run out - you're artificially limited according to your plan, and it's not immediately easy to see how much you have left, say like a battery life is. I mean, the fact you pay for usage kinda seems it's exactly like a parking meter...just that companies would rather charge you a lot for overuse rather then letting you buy extra data at a reasonable before the fact. (Because they'd rather you pay for a bigger plan.)

I mean, as a kid did you have a full grasp as to how TVs work? Or more specially, a cable bill? PPV? I'm pretty sure a lot of people grew up with TVs as "magical machines" in the same way kids see/treat smartphones and tablets.

Also, companies totally pray on this sort of thing - namely all the brags of "unlimited" usage plans.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rexicon1 posted:

Tangentially related, figuring out your target demographic and marketing purpose of your ad before you start production seems so elementary but oh holy hell you'd be surprised how many people don't bother. I already said earlier that I hate when clients write their own ads for our radio group, but just last week we had a perfect storm of awfulness:

"Here's the script. Please put this on the Top 40 station."

*reads script* "Who's your target audience for this?"

"...umm...people who listen to the radio."

"This is an ad for a nursing home. I think it would be more effective on our country station, which has almost as many listeners as the Top 40 station, and in this area, more of them will be in the appropriate age group to be considering a nursing home. There's also our oldies station, which doesn't have as many listeners, but they're nearly all in your target demographic."

"Um no put it on the Top 40 station, I heard that more people listen to it."

:shepicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, data caps are kind of a new "invention" that are sort of a load of horse poo poo? Home internet for a long time didn't have caps, or had caps that were pretty drat hard to hit. Data isn't like gas, it doesn't just run out - you're artificially limited according to your plan, and it's not immediately easy to see how much you have left, say like a battery life is. I mean, the fact you pay for usage kinda seems it's exactly like a parking meter...just that companies would rather charge you a lot for overuse rather then letting you buy extra data at a reasonable before the fact. (Because they'd rather you pay for a bigger plan.)

I mean, as a kid did you have a full grasp as to how TVs work? Or more specially, a cable bill? PPV? I'm pretty sure a lot of people grew up with TVs as "magical machines" in the same way kids see/treat smartphones and tablets.

Also, companies totally pray on this sort of thing - namely all the brags of "unlimited" usage plans.

To further the TV analogy, data caps are pretty much like if cable companies started capping you at X hours of HD or Y hours of SD otherwise you pay overage. TVs are just old enough that people realize its bullshit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Tangentially related, figuring out your target demographic and marketing purpose of your ad before you start production seems so elementary but oh holy hell you'd be surprised how many people don't bother. I already said earlier that I hate when clients write their own ads for our radio group, but just last week we had a perfect storm of awfulness:

"Here's the script. Please put this on the Top 40 station."

*reads script* "Who's your target audience for this?"

"...umm...people who listen to the radio."

"This is an ad for a nursing home. I think it would be more effective on our country station, which has almost as many listeners as the Top 40 station, and in this area, more of them will be in the appropriate age group to be considering a nursing home. There's also our oldies station, which doesn't have as many listeners, but they're nearly all in your target demographic."

"Um no put it on the Top 40 station, I heard that more people listen to it."

:shepicide:

You don't advertise nursing homes to the people that will be living in them. You advertise them to their kids.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

sassassin posted:

You don't advertise nursing homes to the people that will be living in them. You advertise them to their kids.

yeah, but not their grandkids. Top 40 listeners are like nineteen, their parents won't need nursing care for decades. You wanna hit closer to 40-65 year olds, who will have 60-95 year old parents

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To further the TV analogy, data caps are pretty much like if cable companies started capping you at X hours of HD or Y hours of SD otherwise you pay overage. TVs are just old enough that people realize its bullshit.

"Measure what is measurable, and see if you can get the customer to pay for it" - Galileo

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
What 19-year-old listens to the radio?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fatkraken posted:

yeah, but not their grandkids. Top 40 listeners are like nineteen, their parents won't need nursing care for decades. You wanna hit closer to 40-65 year olds, who will have 60-95 year old parents

I'm 30 and my Dad's 65. I'm already planning what to do with his house when I ship him off.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Dad, if you take away my playstation again I'm sending you straight to the Home.

Jisae posted:

I have experience with this when the pay by the ___byte plans still existed. My cousin was interested in using it because she only used her phone's data things occasionally and pay as you go is attractive at first, but I was able to inform her about it by showing her the typical size of a single picture on a website.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Trent posted:

See I live in Britain, so I didn't realise it wouldn't be an option for people as it is pretty much an option for everyone over here.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

Tons of them. The 18-35 female demographic is white-hot in radio.

A common depiction of nursing homes in media is an old woman saying "you're gonna put me in a home!" but in reality, most of their clients are either there voluntarily or at a physician's or a court's request. They don't get many "here's my dad take care of him" drop-offs from indignant kids GODDAMNIT I RAISED YOU YOU LITTLE BASTARD DON'T YOU LEAVE ME IN THIS PLACE

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
gently caress you, Dad, that's exactly how it's going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Jmcrofts posted:

The kind who drives?

Seriously radio is not a media form that will ever die out as long as we have ears and a requirement to use our eyes on something else.