Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As far as I can tell it sometimes just removes the quirk at the top rather than the one you select. I think it's worked correctly at least a few times though.

...You can retreat while in combat?

when it's your turn, minimap top left is a red flag icon. not 100% success rate (not sure what it depends on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Lost a good level 3 hellion to the necromancer. To be fair, I brought a bad party - hellion, leper, vestal and jester. Jester buffed and kept everyone sane, but the others could not deal with the spawns fast enough. Maybe a crusader, highwayman, bounty hunter and jester (for the sanity and buffs)?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

New stupidly overpowered strategy:

Two Highwaymen in the front row rotating back and forth with Point Blank Shot. They'll do like 45-75 damage a turn between the two of them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

clockworkjoe posted:

Lost a good level 3 hellion to the necromancer. To be fair, I brought a bad party - hellion, leper, vestal and jester. Jester buffed and kept everyone sane, but the others could not deal with the spawns fast enough. Maybe a crusader, highwayman, bounty hunter and jester (for the sanity and buffs)?

I did it with Occultist : Vestal : Hellion : Leper and trounced it pretty much. If It Bleeds was the star of the show honestly

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MotU posted:

I did it with Occultist : Vestal : Hellion : Leper and trounced it pretty much. If It Bleeds was the star of the show honestly

Bleeding solves everything

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Hellions dominate the Necromancer with their consistent aoe attack and their bleed that reaches the 3rd space

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does the dungeon get any worse as time passes, or it's more or less static with set difficulty levels for each mission as your dudes get progressively better? Also, is there a time limit?

I'm having fun with this, but without some kind of pressure to optimize your approach it seems that the management part of the game will lack the oppressive feeling of the dungeons.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
You can shovel locked cabinets to smash them open and get loot. Maybe not as great a thing as using a key, but if you've got shovels and no keys...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Dackel posted:

when it's your turn, minimap top left is a red flag icon. not 100% success rate (not sure what it depends on)

If your dudes are mad, it'll be next to impossible to retreat.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DanTheFryingPan posted:

If your dudes are mad, it'll be next to impossible to retreat.

Unless you have one that broke mentally and is now "Cowardly"

Like 4/4 with retreating with an insane cowardly dude

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I really love this game so far. RIP Raynauld, you were a total badass but then got screwed over when one of my dudes stress broke and they went nuts.

Speaking of stress though, that's probably the most frustrating thing about this game. Not that it exists, it's a cool mechanic. But just that there's so little you can do about it, especially early on. Enemies will cast spells to raise it, your dudes gain it pretty much constantly and then you go back to town and you have no resources to reduce it. Like maybe if they scaled it back just a little bit it'd be better. Maybe not even for the whole game, but for the earlier areas at least then have it ramp up some. By the time I was done that tutorial quest to get to town, my two initial guys were almost at breaking point already.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nuebot posted:

I really love this game so far. RIP Raynauld, you were a total badass but then got screwed over when one of my dudes stress broke and they went nuts.

Speaking of stress though, that's probably the most frustrating thing about this game. Not that it exists, it's a cool mechanic. But just that there's so little you can do about it, especially early on. Enemies will cast spells to raise it, your dudes gain it pretty much constantly and then you go back to town and you have no resources to reduce it. Like maybe if they scaled it back just a little bit it'd be better. Maybe not even for the whole game, but for the earlier areas at least then have it ramp up some. By the time I was done that tutorial quest to get to town, my two initial guys were almost at breaking point already.

It's very manageable once you learn to prevent & control it and. A Jester playing his two songs (stress reduction and +crit chance) really helps, as does keeping enemies stunlocked. Kill opponent back-row guys with stun causing attacks FIRST (bone courtiers, female acolytes).

In the tutorial mission use Reynauld's stun to on the weaker enemies so they don't get a chance to hit back. The main thing that causes stress is enemy crits, and the main way to reduce it is your own crits.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah I got that pretty fast, it'd just be nice if it didn't just hit you so hard so fast is all. I still haven't seen a jester, just got a bounty hunter and an occultist to replace my dead guys though so I'll see how this combo plays out without any sort of tanking going on.

Also when it comes to dudes in stress relief, like the tavern, does it go down automatically or do I have to embark with four other characters?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Bounty hunter and occultist are a great team; make sure your bounty hunter has the ability that does more damage on tagged opponents, and your occultist uses the hex that tags opponents. The occultist's heal is very powerful but keep it topped off. Your occultist can also Stun for the hunter but that puts him out of position for healing.

Every time you embark a week passes, and when you get back the guys you put in stress relief will (normally) be out and recovered.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was able to take out the Necromancer on my second save pretty easily, he was able to summon all his minions but the plague doctor kept the backline stunned while my bounty hunter kept him in the front rows. Then it was just a question of hitting and shooting him repeatedly with 25% crit chance highwayman.

I did notice that all the necromancers attacks also move him back one spot. Helps him disengage even when he's got a full set of minions so plan accordingly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Those of us who backed at the level to get the soundtrack haven't gotten it yet right?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Has anyone figured out which classes are better at disarming traps? What affects the chances of success?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taratang posted:

Has anyone figured out which classes are better at disarming traps? What affects the chances of success?

You can look on the character sheet and there's a little statistic that says like "Traps 50%". Higher is better.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can look on the character sheet and there's a little statistic that says like "Traps 50%". Higher is better.

Some of the calculations are weird and really hard to grasp. Stuff like stun resistance for example, most stun abilities have a 100% base stun chance, then you remove the stun resistance so for a skeletal warrior it's 100% -50% = 50% chance to stun. You can actually counter undead's "immunity" to bleed effects if you can get past the 125% bleed resistance.

With traps I have a feeling it works that by clicking the trap you trigger it, and it attacks your hero with a base chance, say 75% chance to hit. Then you subtract your trap resistance which for highwaymen is 40% I believe. Which would translate to 35% chance to hit, or 65% chance to disarm. It seems weirdly jury rigged onto existing mechanics.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Agreed with Grave Robbers being really good. This Jester/Grave Robber/Highwayman/Occultist party is great and my Graverobber is regularly critting for 25+ damage and is much, much sturdier than any of the 'tanky' classes due to crazy dodge rating. I've only gone through two dungeons with this party but they were the easiest two I've done yet.

Glad you are having luck with that. I took a Crusader/Highwayman/Graverobber party without sufficient healing in the back and two of them were dead by the second fight despite laying down incredible pain because of bad surprises, insufficient stuns and monster crits. The idea has merit, but I was absolutely murdered for daring it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Who was your fourth? Because one of my Crusaders has that healing power, and I was thinking of maybe using him and a Vestal to handle the healing, maybe him and a Jester.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 4, 2015

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those of us who backed at the level to get the soundtrack haven't gotten it yet right?

Should be up on Humble Bundle I think

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Jesus the Steam forums turned into a colossal cesspit instantly the moment the game went live on Steam. While it was just the kickstarter backers it was actually decent, then WHAM 200+ page thread whining over the fact it costs twenty whole dollars.

MotU posted:

Should be up on Humble Bundle I think

Isn't yet as far as I see.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

MotU posted:

Unless you have one that broke mentally and is now "Cowardly"

Like 4/4 with retreating with an insane cowardly dude

I mostly get paranoid and selfish, and they stay pretty put, but good to know. I once got a masochistic trait, and she apparently killed herself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loving love this game. One of the best parts is the difficulty of a way to completely utterly gently caress up, makes things more fun when you can fill a roster up. he difficulty is still there in the ways you have to get around afflictions, save money for various items or stress relievers, any number of upgrades really. I know a few people might think it needs some other aspect to hurry you up or create panic but I'm really sick of those loving things in roguelikes, leave them to the actual battles but let me do whatever when it comes to home base.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Big fan of the game up to now. Only got to play an hour or so last night but got my rear end kicked big time. Going to use all these little tips and tricks to maybe... Just MAYBE survive long enough to have my adventurers toughen up a bit.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Game is amazing.

About the stress in the beginning, it has alot to do with how good a start you get on the first 1 or 2 dungeons. I had an atrocious start and had to send my guys into dungeons while they were already at 50% stress, because I couldnt afford to lower their levels, and then I couldn't buy supplies for them and coulnd't upgrade, or train new, abilities etc. if you get a bad start, it kinda snowballs in the beginning. It took me something like 10 runs to finally catch up on the stress levels, and then all my guys had the a ton of bad traits, because I couldn't afford to treat the worst of them. I did fire some of them, and hired new ones, but being massively in the hole after each dungeon, it only helped a little.

I played another run, while showing it to a friend, and we got a really good first dungeon run and everything was pretty alright afterwards (as in for the most case, always having a backup team ready and being able to afford rudimentary provisions).

In other news, the four dog spawns are the worst. Three guys with rabies in the first two rounds, and I'm already seeing the pay check evaporate from the asylum costs :(

It's legit the best rpg-type game I've played in years. The narrative and visial theme is bonkers good, and the mechanics amazing too.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Game crashed and I lost the money I spent on provisions when I clicked embark losing 3000 odd gold :C

How can I edit more gold in? I only have 500 left now I'm screwed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well, I guess I'm in the dissenting opinion camp. It feels too much like playing a PnP RPG with a particularly sadistic DM who won't teach you the rules of the game before throwing you into his deathtrap dungeon. I'm able to run successful parties but getting hit with a string of enemies blocking/dodging/resisting 5 in a row followed up by them critting, critting, critting gets a little old.

They need to make some of the mechanics less transparent. There is really absolutely no reason for the initiative to be hidden like it is. It's an important part of the game and not being able to see what order your party and you enemies will go in can really hurt your tactical decisions.

I'll probably keep playing it every now and then and am really interested in seeing where the game goes, but for right now I definitely recommend getting it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've come to the decision that I don't like using occultist as a healer, or at least relying on him as the primary healer. Three times now my Occultist has directly killed a person because his heal hit for 0 and the bleed killed the guy the next turn. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good backline support, I just would rather have a Vestal there giving me consistent healing. My Occultist is being used primarily for the -damage debuff and pulling annoying enemies to the front row. He works spectacularly well paired up with a bounty hunter because the BH's marked target attack works from the third spot back and hits spectacularly hard when an enemy is marked.

Aside from that, the only thing I can complain about is that I really wish there was another primary healer aside from Vesta and Occultist, it makes runs kind of uninteresting when I've always got to have one of my two vestals on hand to keep people alive.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Not supposed to be using Occultist on DD

Maybe equip the crusader heal if you don't have a vestal

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

Not supposed to be using Occultist on a DD; you cast wyrd on people at half health or keep them topped off

Yeah, that's the better strategy but you still seem to get into situations where a huge enemy crit takes you from full to death's door in a single round. Like the Jester, I feel like the Occultist is more viable the stronger the rest of the party is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Jester absolutely owns when you upgrade his buff a couple of times. I killed the tier2 necromancer without going below 80% hp on any of my characters, and I don't think the skeletons got a single hit off. Crits everywhere.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oldstench posted:

Well, I guess I'm in the dissenting opinion camp. It feels too much like playing a PnP RPG with a particularly sadistic DM who won't teach you the rules of the game before throwing you into his deathtrap dungeon. I'm able to run successful parties but getting hit with a string of enemies blocking/dodging/resisting 5 in a row followed up by them critting, critting, critting gets a little old.

I find focusing on mobility and defences to be a much greater factor in deciding my victories than offensive stuff like stuns and damage. The game likes to put the really nasty buggers who can do Stress damage, AoE and pulls way behind, so being able to push and pull them becomes very important. Even if you're surprised, a highly mobile party can often turn that into opportunity more often than not. So what if your Crusader, whom you specced to take down back rankers falls to the front? Just get a Highwayman to push in front of him or something, and you're good.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm loving this game so far. I've lost a few heroes but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Unless I'm missing something it seems like recruiting new heroes doesn't cost you anything? I like that.

I'm always bad at prioritizing which upgrades to buy first in games like these, so that guide posted earlier certainly helps. I feel like whenever you get to around the middle of the stagecoach's upgrade track is when you should start upgrading other stuff too? Namely the buildings that let you improve your abilities and equipment.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Highly, highly recommend anyone having difficulty put together a party that focuses on either party movement or enemy movement.

I did a suicide run with zero torches and had no trouble whatsoever, enemies were largely impotent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Viridiant posted:

I'm loving this game so far. I've lost a few heroes but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Unless I'm missing something it seems like recruiting new heroes doesn't cost you anything? I like that.

I'm always bad at prioritizing which upgrades to buy first in games like these, so that guide posted earlier certainly helps. I feel like whenever you get to around the middle of the stagecoach's upgrade track is when you should start upgrading other stuff too? Namely the buildings that let you improve your abilities and equipment.

Once you're getting enough to replace your losses it's all subjective but honestly I didn't bother upgrading my blacksmith and guild hall significantly until I started running level 3 missions, and I delayed that for a long time. Different strategies are all viable, it's just that investing heavily into your troops in the early game tends to be a bad idea because they just aren't that survivable and even if they are they're too likely to get nasty quirks that will ruin them. I think the Blacksmith especially can wait until you have multiple level 3 adventurers with good quirk sets who you want to keep alive.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are there any classes that are just much better than others? A friend is swearing on using 2 Vestals with the stun and +light skill, but I wonder when hes going to run into trouble with that? Im still somewhat new myself in the game but doing kind of ok, finishing quests though is hard when my party is starting to fall apart and I have to use replacement goons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FrickenMoron posted:

Are there any classes that are just much better than others? A friend is swearing on using 2 Vestals with the stun and +light skill, but I wonder when hes going to run into trouble with that? Im still somewhat new myself in the game but doing kind of ok, finishing quests though is hard when my party is starting to fall apart and I have to use replacement goons.

The more I play with the classes that I thought were bad, the better they seem. Honestly my favorite classes right now are all the ones I thought were weak at first -- Jester, Bounty Hunter, etc. The main difference isn't so much "good" vs "bad" classes as it is "easy to use" vs "requires more careful setup".

Vestal is very straightforward to use and is a powerhouse in the early game because of her stuns and heals but as more villains get stun resistance she's less useful. Still the best healer overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can see Bounty Hunters being super good with the mark and +100% damage stuff, also they are excellent at pulling in annoying assholes from the back. I also like the Hellion skill that attack the back. I don't like Lepers because of the horrible accuracy.