Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Well, that's not a very sexy new costume at all :colbert:

"My pants are falling down! I never thought metal would be so heavy and impractical!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

I'm glad that they didn't choose that design.

I've also wondered whether Nemi's design and character were based of Gaiman's Death, or perhaps the 'cheerful goth girl' was an archetype that already existed.

The artist Lise Myhre has drawn Nemi after herself:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't quite understand why those parts in particular are exposed.

When you're invulnerable it doesn't matter a whole lot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey look!

Somebody fixed the boob window. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Well, that's not a very sexy new costume at all :colbert:

Eh, I think this is fine. It's not very creative, but they've been rebranding her as part of the Thor line and it fits perfectly well in the context of being a space valkyrie or whatever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

Eh, I think this is fine. It's not very creative, but they've been rebranding her as part of the Thor line and it fits perfectly well in the context of being a space valkyrie or whatever.

I'm not exactly sure how its an improvement on the previous costume. Its very "busy," and not in a good way (like Todd's original design).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lurdiak posted:

What about the armpits?

It's probably hard to put on deodorant in a suit of armor.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gatts posted:

I'd kinda wish we could get something like this but eh.

Using a shield with full plate armour means you don't trust your armour. Otherwise it's rather superfluous except in very special cases (like charging into a spear wall).
Otherwise it would be definitely better than the low-rise armour they gave Angela.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Decius posted:

Using a shield with full plate armour means you don't trust your armour. Otherwise it's rather superfluous except in very special cases (like charging into a spear wall).
Otherwise it would be definitely better than the low-rise armour they gave Angela.

i think the reason she has a shield in the painting is that the artist or the subject thought it looked cool

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look we can all agree it's a vast improvement over the 70's van art look she used to sport.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schneider Heim posted:

I can't see how she's able to sit without impaling herself on that sharp point.

At the very least, she's going to get pinched by her armor a lot. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Invulnerable, it's worn for fashion.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Superman has fingerless glove sleeve endings now. No word on whether looking like a middle aged man having a seizure is part of this exciting new redesign.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Red Bones posted:

Superman has fingerless glove sleeve endings now. No word on whether looking like a middle aged man having a seizure is part of this exciting new redesign.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red Bones posted:

They're not fingerless gloves.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Lurdiak posted:

What about the armpits?

There's only one superhero with acceptable armpit costuming, and it's Atmos.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, if we are talking about impractical armor, what exactly does Red Sonja's chainmail bikini protect her from? Nipple twisters?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doubtful.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if we are talking about impractical armor, what exactly does Red Sonja's chainmail bikini protect her from? Nipple twisters?

Titmouse?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if we are talking about impractical armor, what exactly does Red Sonja's chainmail bikini protect her from?

Premature sagging.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

I think it's a fashion statement. Mostly because she hangs out with Conan, who usually only wears a loincloth.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if we are talking about impractical armor, what exactly does Red Sonja's chainmail bikini protect her from?

From having to be kept behind the counter at the comic shop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's a fashion statement. Mostly because she hangs out with Conan, who usually only wears a loincloth.

Mostly on cover. In the actual stories(by Howard) he usually wears at least medium armor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Mostly on cover. In the actual stories(by Howard) he usually wears at least medium armor.

Not in Savage Sword.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Not in Savage Sword.

Sometimes! It varies story to story.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In Red Sonja: Blue she gets her chainmail bikini shredded by a demon (as is her tendency) and ends up wearing the demon's pelt.

She actually gives an explanation why she wears it to the bartender, after griping about how long chainmail takes to repair.
It is exactly the reason you'd expect.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Say Nothing posted:

She actually gives an explanation why she wears it to the bartender, after griping about how long chainmail takes to repair.

I take she faces exclusively heterosexual male opponents. Or lesbians I guess.

I much prefer this explanation
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/now-you-know-410571226 (and his summertime batman cracks me up because it still shows less skin that the average female costume)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not to go :supaburn: on Supe's new look, but I don't get the redesign. His old New 52 look was good imo, why change it now?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I can't decide if they're going for a retro 90's X-treme costume, or stupid looking footie pajamas for a 5 year old.

Who are they marketing this to now?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The dumb nerds that go nuts over pop culture onesies.

I hate my generation's obsession with infantalizing itself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the costume from the comic. Definitely long cuffs, not gloves. The yellow buckle from the previous image must be a "full charge" light (It wasn't explained, but in this issue he'd found out that he's able to release all of his super energy at once like a bomb, so that's my guess.)

Overlook my bad clone stamping. There was some spoiler stuff to cut out.

e: and his crotch is now crease resistant.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 4, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

In Red Sonja: Blue she gets her chainmail bikini shredded by a demon (as is her tendency) and ends up wearing the demon's pelt.

If I might :spergin: for a moment, that's not actually chainmail, it's scale armor. Chainmail is made from small interlocking rings rather than overlapping plates, and would probably be even more uncomfortable to wear on bare skin.

Coincidentally, in the latest run she's actually wearing actual clothing fairly often, and even proper armor when the situation calls for it:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Solenna posted:

I much prefer this explanation
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/now-you-know-410571226 (and his summertime batman cracks me up because it still shows less skin that the average female costume)

This was some pro-click for me, I really like this guy's work (though I still haven't found "summertime batman" yet) --- thanks!

I like this Ivy pin-up:
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/ivy-450948775

And since this is the costume thread:
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/#/art/we-gonna-need-some-kryptonian-pompoms-320221824?hf=1

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This was some pro-click for me, I really like this guy's work (though I still haven't found "summertime batman" yet) --- thanks!

It's funny/interesting that half the comments about it are all horrified by the idea of Batman in short shorts (admittedly with leg hair), while Huntress who runs around the same area of DC has had costumes with even shorter shorts, and a stomach window and that's totally whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey look. We get a second new Superman costume today in Action Comics #39 when Soups pictures himself at the end of the world.

e: I guess he's wearing hero mementos like a utility belt and the cosmic staff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 4, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey look. We get a second new Superman costume today in Action Comics #39 when Soups pictures himself at the end of the world.

Does the big metal fist do anything special?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not without the gems it doesn't.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Solenna posted:

It's funny/interesting that half the comments about it are all horrified by the idea of Batman in short shorts (admittedly with leg hair), while Huntress who runs around the same area of DC has had costumes with even shorter shorts, and a stomach window and that's totally whatever.

Haha, found it:
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/i-am-the-night-an-embarassing-night-420286901

I enjoyed the more sane comments along the lines of, "uh Robin, you're not one to talk."

That never really occurred to me. Even as a woman who gets perturbed by many costumes (women fighting in heels never fails to irk me) --- I GET why artists draw sexy women. Sexy sells. I'm bi so I admit I enjoy looking at WW as much as the next dude. But what was up with the (pre)pubescent boy wonder running around in shorty-shorts for so long?

I've never been a big fan of Damien, but his outfit's a vast improvement.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

But what was up with the (pre)pubescent boy wonder running around in shorty-shorts for so long?

I've never been a big fan of Damien, but his outfit's a vast improvement.

It was based off child acrobat costumes and then, like a lot of things in comics, inertia kept it going long after the style and legality of having child acrobats had changed.

The shorty shorts died a lot farther back then most people remember, Time Drake put pants on the costume.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It boggled my mind that they never retconned those out in any of the Crises.

• Locked thread