Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Quidnose posted:

Is there an easy additional step to make it not auto-convert it back to Read Only after it seems to be converting it from there?

Open an elevated command prompt and type:
attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
I need a basic antivirus software for small business with 6 PC's. Whats my best bet, NOD32?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm only casually familiar with Excel, so forgive me if there's actually an easy way to do this. I've scanned a bunch of user home drives on our domain and the results have generated a spreadsheet with the user's account names and the size of their home drives. So it looks something like this:

Amber | 10GB
Andrew | 5GB
Jeff | 15GB
Karen | 5GB
Linda | 5GB
Mark | 20GB
Peter | 5GB
Rob | 50GB
Sharon | 10GB
Tanya | 5GB

And so on. I run this file through a script and (with a bit of editing) end up with a text file that leaves out the inactive users:

Amber
Jeff
Mark
Rob
Tanya

So now I need a file that combines only the active users and their quotas and leaves out the inactive users. If it were only fifty or so, I'd just copy/paste them side by side and do it manually. But this is actually hundreds of users. Any ideas?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Any recommendations on an application to grab some drivers off a PC? I need an old driver that works and MS already replaced it in Windows Update with the newer one that isn't as stable.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Piekuuns posted:

I need a basic antivirus software for small business with 6 PC's. Whats my best bet, NOD32?

I'm a huge fan of ESET, six computers at this site and three at another. Somewhere in the last few years they decided they want to sell through VARs and buying direct through them is a pain in the butt.

If you don't need the management software you might just want to stick with Microsoft's free anti virus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: goddammit, wrong thread.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm only casually familiar with Excel, so forgive me if there's actually an easy way to do this. I've scanned a bunch of user home drives on our domain and the results have generated a spreadsheet with the user's account names and the size of their home drives. So it looks something like this:

Amber | 10GB
Andrew | 5GB
Jeff | 15GB
Karen | 5GB
Linda | 5GB
Mark | 20GB
Peter | 5GB
Rob | 50GB
Sharon | 10GB
Tanya | 5GB

And so on. I run this file through a script and (with a bit of editing) end up with a text file that leaves out the inactive users:

Amber
Jeff
Mark
Rob
Tanya

So now I need a file that combines only the active users and their quotas and leaves out the inactive users. If it were only fifty or so, I'd just copy/paste them side by side and do it manually. But this is actually hundreds of users. Any ideas?

If you have Cygwin:

code:
join -t, -11 -21 file1 file2

...assuming file1 is the list in CSV format with commas as separators, file2 is your list of active users, and the users are column 1 of file1. -t controls the separator, and -1 controls the column of the first file. The files have to be sorted in the same order.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Irritated Goat posted:

Any recommendations on an application to grab some drivers off a PC? I need an old driver that works and MS already replaced it in Windows Update with the newer one that isn't as stable.

Driver Magician is decent.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Can't you do this through windows copy command also? Something like (from working directory) copy * combined_stuff.txt

edit: wait, I think I'm reading it wrong..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are the names unique? You could simply paste the list of active users into a new sheet in the original file and paste the following into an empty column into the original sheet: =COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,A1) Assuming that the names are in column A and the second sheet is named Sheet2 and the active users are pasted into the A column. If you paste that into the first row, then double click the little black box in the bottom right corner of the cell, it will copy that line down to all lines with content. Then you can filter this column to just rows with a 1 in that column to get the active users. You can then delete the inactive and delete this column and you've got your new list.

I'm sure there's a faster way.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've got a WSS2012 r2 with four hdd's in it. The OS is on a comfy 100GB partition, and the remaining unallocated space participated in a parity storage pool that includes the other three devices. I don't have critical data to lose on this unit. I was testing out some failure scenarios. I ran the OEM vendor's (only) process for restoring from a failed OS situation, which is supposed to only re-install the OS on its small partition and leave any other allocated space completely alone.

The problem with this process is that it always converts the original disk back to 'Basic' - storage pools seems to conceal the other drives but I'm sure the disks were all converted to dynamic as a result of the storage pool establishment. The storage pool metadata seems to be recognized in the server manager, but it cannot be reactivated at all. I can have the server take control of permissions on the storage pool, but it changes nothing. Converting the disk to dynamic doesn't help either, which I expected, and which probably would make a data recovery service's work even harder if the data mattered. It doesn't even behave like a single drive failure which a RAID5 should be capable of surviving.

I tested an OS reinstall with no storage pool from disk0 dedicated to it, just confined to the three drives that the OS doesn't live on, and I could reactivate it just fine. If I put a single simple volume on the remaining unallocated space, that will also survive the OEM's recovery process.

It seems the short story here is that if a storage pool on this device includes the OS's extra unallocated space, the act of recovery with the OEM method that converts the disk back to basic, hopelessly pooches the RAID metadata and therefore the RAID.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

If you have Cygwin:

code:
join -t, -11 -21 file1 file2
...assuming file1 is the list in CSV format with commas as separators, file2 is your list of active users, and the users are column 1 of file1. -t controls the separator, and -1 controls the column of the first file. The files have to be sorted in the same order.

I don't have cygwin, but I'll google it and see what I can do, thanks!

Cojawfee posted:

Are the names unique? You could simply paste the list of active users into a new sheet in the original file and paste the following into an empty column into the original sheet: =COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,A1) Assuming that the names are in column A and the second sheet is named Sheet2 and the active users are pasted into the A column. If you paste that into the first row, then double click the little black box in the bottom right corner of the cell, it will copy that line down to all lines with content. Then you can filter this column to just rows with a 1 in that column to get the active users. You can then delete the inactive and delete this column and you've got your new list.

I'm sure there's a faster way.

A user's name on a domain has to be unique, I'm pretty sure. At any rate, I might also give this a try if the cygwin thing doesn't pan out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Amber | 10GB
Andrew | 5GB
Jeff | 15GB
Karen | 5GB
Linda | 5GB
Mark | 20GB
Peter | 5GB
Rob | 50GB
Sharon | 10GB
Tanya | 5GB

Amber
Jeff
Mark
Rob
Tanya

My first thought is to paste the active user list into a new tab of the spreadsheet and then use index/match to get their quotas from the first tab.

What language is the script in?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've got a question about symlinks and performance.

Steam currently runs on a 2TB 7200RPM HDD that it has more or less to itself. I'm thinking of throwing a SSD in the mix for use with games I play often or have longer load times (Civ5, Skyrim, Payday2, etc). I was thinking I could copy individual game folders to the SSD, then symlink the folders from the usual steamapps folder.

Would this result in a noticeable performance hit? Does the OS need to navigate to the HDD for each load, and then make it's way to the SSD affecting performance times, or is the link relatively transparent to the OS with minimal performance loss?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JerikTelorian posted:

I've got a question about symlinks and performance.

Steam currently runs on a 2TB 7200RPM HDD that it has more or less to itself. I'm thinking of throwing a SSD in the mix for use with games I play often or have longer load times (Civ5, Skyrim, Payday2, etc). I was thinking I could copy individual game folders to the SSD, then symlink the folders from the usual steamapps folder.

Would this result in a noticeable performance hit? Does the OS need to navigate to the HDD for each load, and then make it's way to the SSD affecting performance times, or is the link relatively transparent to the OS with minimal performance loss?

It should be transparent to the OS, and this method is "supported" enough that there's an app called SteamMover which exists only to move/symlink game directories.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Steam patched a while ago to support multiple game installation locations, so you can just set up a new Steam library on your SSD. After doing that just copy your game folders to that location and run the games - it'll detect it doesn't have the files and try to 'install', and should prompt you what library to install to. Select your SSD library and it'll verify the files that you've copied there (it appears as downloading because Steam) and you're done. Going forward you can just choose to install games directly to that library rather than go through moving and symlinking things after the fact.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Amber | 10GB
Andrew | 5GB
Jeff | 15GB
Karen | 5GB
Linda | 5GB
Mark | 20GB
Peter | 5GB
Rob | 50GB
Sharon | 10GB
Tanya | 5GB

Amber
Jeff
Mark
Rob
Tanya

Sounds like you should be able to put both lists on different worksheets in the same xls and do a vlookup

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Does there exist an application that allows one to set their desktop wallpaper in a similar manner to a smartphone, where you can move the viewport/picture around and position the image to your liking before setting it as a wallpaper? Having to go in and crop/resize an image before I set it as my wallpaper feels really clunky.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

The last two times I set my Windows 8.1 desktop to hibernate (via pressing the power button), I come back and Windows acts like it was restarted and foobar2000 complains that it was shut down improperly. How can I go about figuring out why that happened?

This happened again today when I woke up and then again when I came home. Please help!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Generic Monk posted:

Does there exist an application that allows one to set their desktop wallpaper in a similar manner to a smartphone, where you can move the viewport/picture around and position the image to your liking before setting it as a wallpaper? Having to go in and crop/resize an image before I set it as my wallpaper feels really clunky.

DisplayFusion has a feature like this if I recall

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

c0burn posted:

DisplayFusion has a feature like this if I recall

I feel like the answer to any question that involved "wallpaper" or "multiple monitors" is DisplayFusion.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like the answer to any question that involved "wallpaper" or "multiple monitors" is DisplayFusion.

It's a really solid piece of software! I don't use it any more but I did when I had 2 monitors at work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

c0burn posted:

It's a really solid piece of software! I don't use it any more but I did when I had 2 monitors at work.

Oh I know it, I actually bought a second license for my work laptop (I have two monitors plugged into the dock.)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
How can I create keyboard shortcuts to open Metro apps in Windows 8? I know how to create keyboard shortcuts for my desktop programs (ie, CTRL-ALT-C opens Calculator, no matter what program I am running), but the same strategy is not working for creating a keyboard shortcut for the Netflix and Plex Metro apps. Any ideas?

I'm using a flirc, and I want to set keyboard shortcuts for these apps so I can press the 1 key on my universal IR remote and open Netflix, 2 for Plex, etc

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

PBCrunch posted:

How can I create keyboard shortcuts to open Metro apps in Windows 8? I know how to create keyboard shortcuts for my desktop programs (ie, CTRL-ALT-C opens Calculator, no matter what program I am running), but the same strategy is not working for creating a keyboard shortcut for the Netflix and Plex Metro apps. Any ideas?

I'm using a flirc, and I want to set keyboard shortcuts for these apps so I can press the 1 key on my universal IR remote and open Netflix, 2 for Plex, etc

Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you have Metro apps pinned to the taskbar, you can hit Windows key + #, # being whatever number, ordered from left to right, that the app's icon is. So if you have the Metro Mail app pinned as the second icon along on the taskbar, you can hit Windows key + 2 and launch the app.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Generic Monk posted:

This is a little late, but FastStone Viewer does this as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do I go about deleting the folders on an external drive that I don't have permission for? Windows and Program Files folders and such.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ufarn posted:

How do I go about deleting the folders on an external drive that I don't have permission for? Windows and Program Files folders and such.

Take ownership, give yourself full access permissions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Take ownership, give yourself full access permissions.
If I set the Allow permissions under Security, I get a "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ufarn posted:

If I set the Allow permissions under Security, I get a "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied".

Nah, you have to take ownership first. Advanced > Owner > Edit > Select yourself > Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > OK

THEN you can change security rights on everything to become yours.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, you have to take ownership first. Advanced > Owner > Edit > Select yourself > Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > OK

THEN you can change security rights on everything to become yours.
Oh THERE that loving setting is. Man do I hate the Windows UI for stuff like this.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Ubuntu doesn't give a gently caress about Windows ownership, as far as I can tell. If you're dealing with a ton of files, booting from Ubuntu on a USB drive and deleting whatever can be faster than waiting for Windows to churn through all the ownership changes. It doesn't seem to retain ownership information on copies, either, which I find useful for backup/reinstalls.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I might do that, I am still getting permission problems, and I can't figure out whether it wants me to assign another user than my own or /users/. Either way, it won't go my way.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

Amber | 10GB
Andrew | 5GB
Jeff | 15GB
Karen | 5GB
Linda | 5GB
Mark | 20GB
Peter | 5GB
Rob | 50GB
Sharon | 10GB
Tanya | 5GB

Amber
Jeff
Mark
Rob
Tanya

Does it need to be excel? Would powershell work for you?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

What's a good full PC backup software? It will be for a Win 8.1 desktop with an SSD and a second HDD for the bulk of the programs. I've been testing out Acronis 2015 on a trial, but it has some awful reviews for the most recent version. Could be people who don't know it's limitations or a bad version, before I spend money I thought I'd see what else is popular around here.

The main caveat is I have a 5TB Synology NAS I want to back up to. A surprising amount of popular software will happily back up to their subscription cloud or a locally attached HDD drive but tells you to gently caress right off if you have a network drive. It even took a while to figure out that Acronis will only do it with a UNC, they don't talk about it. Synology has cloud station, but that's more for individual folders.

Versioning would be nice, I don't need real time, but daily would good. I am willing to purchase something if it's a reasonable price for a single PC, IE not enterprise licensing costs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You should be able to point Macrium Reflect at any file system Windows can address, although you might not be able to do interesting network drives with the free version. By all means try the free version first anyway, but if it only works in the trial you'll probably have to pay (and Reflect is probably worth it).

v v v He's trying to do [disk image] --> NAS, not NAS --> Cloud. By all means, don't edit it out, because someone probably will find it useful; it just doesn't solve this problem.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 11, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Crashplan will with a bit of fiddling, I've been doing this for a couple of years with no problem

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Backup/Backing_Up_A_Windows_Network_Drive

e: or you could just install crashplan on it and do it natively:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/UPDATED2014HowToSetupCrashPlanCloudBackupOnASynologyNASRunningDSM50.aspx

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

PirateDentist posted:

What's a good full PC backup software? It will be for a Win 8.1 desktop with an SSD and a second HDD for the bulk of the programs. I've been testing out Acronis 2015 on a trial, but it has some awful reviews for the most recent version. Could be people who don't know it's limitations or a bad version, before I spend money I thought I'd see what else is popular around here.

The main caveat is I have a 5TB Synology NAS I want to back up to. A surprising amount of popular software will happily back up to their subscription cloud or a locally attached HDD drive but tells you to gently caress right off if you have a network drive. It even took a while to figure out that Acronis will only do it with a UNC, they don't talk about it. Synology has cloud station, but that's more for individual folders.

Versioning would be nice, I don't need real time, but daily would good. I am willing to purchase something if it's a reasonable price for a single PC, IE not enterprise licensing costs.

Have you considered setting up an iSCSI target on the Synology?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Try bvckup 2 and see if it's for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You should be able to point Macrium Reflect at any file system Windows can address, although you might not be able to do interesting network drives with the free version. By all means try the free version first anyway, but if it only works in the trial you'll probably have to pay (and Reflect is probably worth it).

Seems pretty nice, looks like it works with network fine from what I can tell. They just suggest using UNC paths for maximum reliability.

Arishtat posted:

Have you considered setting up an iSCSI target on the Synology?

I had not. It's easy enough it looks like, but I'm trying to keep it simple. Nice to have another option to work with though. I really don't use the Syno to it's full potential, they're powerful little things.

ufarn posted:

Try bvckup 2 and see if it's for you.

Also very interesting, I was about to say it seems a bit too simple, but it looks like it's far more powerful then it appears at first glance. I'll check it out!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm reinstalling Windows this week hoping to chase out some weird issues, so I want to get an image before I wipe the drives and then have a good solid backup plan going forward.