Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Hey if any of you guys want an easier time finding ores but feel too much like it's "cheating" or don't want to illuminate all the underground, there's a super dimmed-down version HERE.

It's called [COLOREBOUND] and it was just updated yesterday.

Also change of subject; Is the galaxy not actually randomly generated or something? Are the star systems just put there and the planets are RNG'd? Someone explain videogame.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Also change of subject; Is the galaxy not actually randomly generated or something? Are the star systems just put there and the planets are RNG'd? Someone explain videogame.

They are generated by seeds, down to chests and the loot in them, the coordinates are the seed, and the galaxy map is just a kind of visual index. And the seeds change completely with some major updates, probably when they add things like Hylotl settlements it will change all the seeds, because worldgen will be different.

And thank you to whoever mentioned leg techs working with boats along with being able to boat around at the center of planets-

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i am hearing not great things about the combat which is making me hesitant to start up the game again. hopefully there'll be mods to fix that.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Shields are very good now, I think they receive your armor, and then they have a health, which regenerates slowly when you have it out without blocking hits. There are of course a few things that can shotgun them down, but for the most part they make combat much easier.

The way enemy armor works is definitely a mess right now though, it seems like it gets a flat block amount plus a percentage based reduction, so raw damage is king, and fire-rate is worthless unless it has big numbers to go along with it.

Other than shields being worth using now though combat isn't really much different mechanically than it was before the update. There's also some new techs at the higher ship classes which are for combat (like the shield bubble tech), but I haven't gotten to try them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Akett posted:

Is there a particular planet type where diamonds are more likely to spawn? I've core dived my home planet and a moon but haven't seen any of the fuckers.

At least before, asteroid fields were chock full of diamond. No idea if that's still the case or you have the tools necessary to deal with them yet though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are asking me to = nerf = the cave mod.

Lol.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Turtlicious posted:

Lol.
What is this mysterious cave mod you speak of?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Inverness posted:

What is this mysterious cave mod you speak of?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

This + Illuminated Ores = Much fun

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
That looks pretty good, I'll try it out tonight.

I assume what is in that screenshot is a rare occurrence? I can't help but compare to Minecraft. Occasionally you found a super-cave like that, and occasionally you found a cave that went all the way down to the lava layer, but they weren't common.

I suppose I should just wait until I play it before giving impressions.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Inverness posted:

That looks pretty good, I'll try it out tonight.

I assume what is in that screenshot is a rare occurrence? I can't help but compare to Minecraft. Occasionally you found a super-cave like that, and occasionally you found a cave that went all the way down to the lava layer, but they weren't common.

I suppose I should just wait until I play it before giving impressions.

It is not rare, but it is not super common either. It's just common, and you can traverse a lot of the planet via caves.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Turtlicious posted:

Lol.

Question, is it your mod that creates giant holes on the surface and is it possible to reduce the amount of those (surface only)?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

Question, is it your mod that creates giant holes on the surface and is it possible to reduce the amount of those (surface only)?

He already did. Get the newest version.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Much obliged

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AndroidHub posted:

So I've been looking at the other ships on the wiki, and I'm wondering if non-novakid ships can actually upgrade all the way to the 8th ship version yet? or if the files are just in the game but unused? I've been quite happy playing novakid, but some of the other races look like the have some really cool ships, the Hylotl and Floran ones stand out to me. I also think it would be more fun to wire emergency bulkheads and stuff in them, since all the rooms aren't in a straight line.

After getting pissed about my storage getting hosed, I decided to put all of my poo poo on the home planet in random boxes, start a new character, make top tier poo poo, and run through all of the quests. I even cheatspawned the bone carving I hadn't found yet, because of anger issues at video games.

Took no time to run through everything, and I picked Avian. My ship looks just like the top tier one in this gif.
http://starbounder.org/Ship_Upgrades

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AndroidHub posted:

So I've been looking at the other ships on the wiki, and I'm wondering if non-novakid ships can actually upgrade all the way to the 8th ship version yet? or if the files are just in the game but unused? I've been quite happy playing novakid, but some of the other races look like the have some really cool ships, the Hylotl and Floran ones stand out to me. I also think it would be more fun to wire emergency bulkheads and stuff in them, since all the rooms aren't in a straight line.

I think the Glitch ship is really dumb looking at the start, but I love the ridiculous flying castle that it eventually turns into. Just blasting through the galaxy in something at looks like it was built by Dr. Doom :3:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I kinda like that the Novakid ship doesn't incorporate any verticality. I use my ship as a kind of roving crafting station, miniature farm, and storage facility so I can build a sweet house on my homeworld and put all my cool furniture there. My poo poo computer has a little trouble running Starbound smoothly as is, so keeping my ship relatively utilitarian limits the lag when I'm tinkering in it. Also, it's a space train.

I really like the ocean planets. My homeworld is on an ocean planet with pink sand and pretty palm trees; I planted some rainbow trees for variety and built a charming little summer home on the beach, complete with a dock, modest underground farm mainly for pussplums and oculemons (gotta make that Cyanider so I can live solely off booze like a proper star cowboy), and a mildly eerie underwater cavern in which I grow the various oceanic crops so I can always have a good supply of ocean salsa and tropical fruit juices for visitors. I even have a little coffee garden next to the dock, right outside the back door, a few steps from the coffee machine :allears:

I'm really enjoying the update so far. The new biomes and recipes are great, and of course, the fact that the first Novakid the character creation screen randomly generated for me was bright blue and named Butane Murphy is a definite plus. I haven't liked a generated name that much since Pelvistello. The boss missions are pretty neat, although the mining colony one is loving bullshit if your game lags even a little bit, and the tons of new recipes and blueprints are fun to collect. I actually kind of like the quest system, though I lucked out on the coffee one because I happened to have some coffee beans I picked on a forest planet. The quest with the silent guy who gives you the sign came completely out of left field and made me laugh pretty hard.

edit: the fact that you can only make a hoe at an iron anvil is ridiculous, though. I destroyed my iron anvil after making the upgraded version, and later on, once I was making durasteel, I couldn't figure out how the hell to make a hoe. Having to go back to a lower-level planet just to make an anvil so I can make a hoe... ugh.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 4, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So after complaining earlier about all the random aspects of the game being tied too tightly to each other, I decided to make a mod to sort things out. I hadn't really done much modding on this ever, didn't know anything about the new merging/replacing system, and ended up having to look up notepad++ replace commands as well as batch files for windows to do all this. But I think it's worth it, because finally, hours later, and with help from a friend, I have something to show for it!

First: Prismatic Stars

Prismatic stars are unique star systems that contain Prismatic planets. Prismatic planets can be any biome and any difficulty level, so Extreme Lush planets and Harmless Volcanic and everything in between are possible. Further, I've scrambled up the biome, sub-biome, and sub-surface systems. As a result, you can get crazy mixed up planets.
The first and most obvious change is that sub-biomes on Prismatic planets aren't tied to their major biomes anymore. It used to be that tar sub-biomes would only show up on deserts, eyeball patches on alien worlds, and so on. Now you can find them anywhere!
Sub-biomes can also be replaced by primary biomes. So you can get a planet that's half desert and half volcano, or half forest, half ocean.
Lastly, subsurface and core biomes are scrambled, too. So you could have a plutonium-rich radioactive core on an ocean world, for instance, or a sandy, oil-rich underground beneath a garden world.

And for a more extreme change, I've made an alternate version of the mod called Prismatic Stars: Hollow Earth that replaces subsurface biomes more freely, even with major surface biomes! Dig down through the lush shell of your forest world to find a forgotten desert, pierce the obsidian-coated skin of a volcano to find a thriving jungle beneath, or just find yourself hurtling down into a vast body of water mired in the inky darkness.

Underground oceans, anyone?
http://webmup.com/9jVTS/
Here's a little webm video of falling through the earth and plunging down a thousand feet into the land of the lost.
Normal planets and stars are not affected. If you want crazy mix and match planets, you'll have to go to a Prismatic star system! Prismatic stars won't generate in pre-explored quadrants. You'll have to explore a brand new area of space, so scroll out a bit.

And the matching tree mod, Plant Matters.

This mod unties tree types from major biome types. You can get baobabs growing on ocean beaches, volcanic ash-trees sprouting on the banks of poison lakes, and fluffy white cloud trees flourishing by a desert oasis. Some types have been preserved, by sub-biome, like mushrooms and eye-trees, just so they're still available regularly.

The extreme version of the mod, Plant Matters: Mix and Match, unties trees from their leaf groups. Ice tree trunks with great flowers atop them instead of crystals, twisted vine-trees with ashen leaves, and any kind of overlap between biome-groups there wasn't before. Drops are based on trunk and leaf type individually, so there should be no problems; if you chop down a metal tree with eyeball leaves, you'll get both metal wood and ocumelons. There are some exceptions of what's been mixed -- mushrooms, palm trees, and others that wouldn't work right with branched leaves are still normal, though they can show up in any biome now.
Normal planets ARE affected! All primary planetary biomes will have more diverse trees. This works with mods that add new systems based on existing biomes, like my Prismatic Stars mod, as well as Mysterious Stars and the Unstable Stars found in Your Starbound Crew.

Downloads will probably go on the official site soon, but for now, you can grab it here if you want:
Prismatic Stars
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans and hollow underground worlds)
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans, but no hollow underground worlds)
Plant Matters
Plant Matters (including trunk-leaf scramble!)

Let me know about any problems. the mix and match version of Plant Matters will probably have some ugly trees, so if anything really broken/floating comes from it, please do me a favor and examine it so your character will announce the name of the leaves and trunk. Easier to fix that way.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

:confused: "Fred?"
:clint: "Yeah Bob?"
:confused: "Not to question your authority -- you are the boss, of course -- but did we have to, I mean, was it strictly necessary to build our stilt-shack in the poison marsh? And do I need to stand guard down here, in the poison marsh?
:clint: "I'm getting real sick of your poo poo Bob. Real sick of it."

((This is seriously awesome and you should feel great about it.))

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 4, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Not even a proper roof to protect against the poison rain, nice.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

AndroidHub posted:

And thank you to whoever mentioned leg techs working with boats along with being able to boat around at the center of planets-

Hope they never change this because it's really the only use I've gotten out of boats. Beaming down to planets that are just like a tiny island on lava are actually explorable thanks to this.

oh btw, Floran ships are the best:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Vib Rib that looks pretty amazing, and I think the best part is that you've got it untied from the normal stars, so it doesn't screw over progression or anything like that. Gonna check it out, give you a better trip report later on. Divorcing difficulty from biome type is something that the late game desperately needs.

Is it possible to tinker with big town/dungeon spawning stuff? I'm imaging a mod that tweaks up chances for certain races in certain biomes. Something like more likely to get a floran dungeon/city in a jungle world, or avian on a desert. Depending on how the code is setup, having each thing put on a planet make another less likely to be placed would probably also be good, if only so you don't get like 5 penal colonies in a row too often.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone link that scanner mod?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

grimcreaper posted:

x: 84510553 y: -66927251 Gamma Fribbilus Xax 056, IV, the big Ice ball planet.

The avian tomb is directly to the right of spawn, like 1 screen over or so. If you need the Moon Emblam, just run in, drop down the center and head straight over to the left. there should 1 or 2 in there.

These coordinates are for the 64bit client btw, the planet

The basic monsters will 1shot you in impervium armor here. I did find some seriously powerful 2h weapons when digging down from spawn, not to far down there are some glitch tomb things with chests, got a 2h bone hammer that hits for almost 2k damage. High enough to pop the armor of the avians in 3 or 4 shots as opposed to the Impervium 2h 1200 damage hammer taking 10 or more hits.\\

Sidenote to this planet: head to the left, when you start getting into the glowvine plant stuff, look for purple chests. 2190 damage per swing swords and Lightbows seem pretty common and tons of the chests spawn.

Do we have a current spreadsheet or anything for coordinates like this? That was great before when you wanted to find certain things like techs or guns.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I tweaked the cave gen a bunch more and so I'm looking for feedback again.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

Let me know if this fixes the issue with big gaping chasms appearing in your worlds. (I may bring back the gaping chasm thing for tentacle worlds.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

After I do some more exploring with the prismatic worlds, I'll check out your caves turt. So far I think I'd like to see at least the major biome listed in the planet description, if not the sub-biome. Also, magma oceans (and probably other types) don't always merge nicely with other biomes.

They don't spill out and cover the world or anything, but they do constantly flow in that slope area.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Messing with colors in json is a huge pain, but I had to fix some of the issues the Mantizi were having.

I basically went ahead and gave them entirely new sets of colors, so they should be more colorful and vibrant without being overwhelmingly so, now.

Also there's 5 new hairstyles for each gender and a bunch of new names

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

So after complaining earlier about all the random aspects of the game being tied too tightly to each other, I decided to make a mod to sort things out. I hadn't really done much modding on this ever, didn't know anything about the new merging/replacing system, and ended up having to look up notepad++ replace commands as well as batch files for windows to do all this. But I think it's worth it, because finally, hours later, and with help from a friend, I have something to show for it!

First: Prismatic Stars

Prismatic stars are unique star systems that contain Prismatic planets. Prismatic planets can be any biome and any difficulty level, so Extreme Lush planets and Harmless Volcanic and everything in between are possible. Further, I've scrambled up the biome, sub-biome, and sub-surface systems. As a result, you can get crazy mixed up planets.
The first and most obvious change is that sub-biomes on Prismatic planets aren't tied to their major biomes anymore. It used to be that tar sub-biomes would only show up on deserts, eyeball patches on alien worlds, and so on. Now you can find them anywhere!
Sub-biomes can also be replaced by primary biomes. So you can get a planet that's half desert and half volcano, or half forest, half ocean.
Lastly, subsurface and core biomes are scrambled, too. So you could have a plutonium-rich radioactive core on an ocean world, for instance, or a sandy, oil-rich underground beneath a garden world.

And for a more extreme change, I've made an alternate version of the mod called Prismatic Stars: Hollow Earth that replaces subsurface biomes more freely, even with major surface biomes! Dig down through the lush shell of your forest world to find a forgotten desert, pierce the obsidian-coated skin of a volcano to find a thriving jungle beneath, or just find yourself hurtling down into a vast body of water mired in the inky darkness.

Underground oceans, anyone?
http://webmup.com/9jVTS/
Here's a little webm video of falling through the earth and plunging down a thousand feet into the land of the lost.
Normal planets and stars are not affected. If you want crazy mix and match planets, you'll have to go to a Prismatic star system! Prismatic stars won't generate in pre-explored quadrants. You'll have to explore a brand new area of space, so scroll out a bit.

And the matching tree mod, Plant Matters.

This mod unties tree types from major biome types. You can get baobabs growing on ocean beaches, volcanic ash-trees sprouting on the banks of poison lakes, and fluffy white cloud trees flourishing by a desert oasis. Some types have been preserved, by sub-biome, like mushrooms and eye-trees, just so they're still available regularly.

The extreme version of the mod, Plant Matters: Mix and Match, unties trees from their leaf groups. Ice tree trunks with great flowers atop them instead of crystals, twisted vine-trees with ashen leaves, and any kind of overlap between biome-groups there wasn't before. Drops are based on trunk and leaf type individually, so there should be no problems; if you chop down a metal tree with eyeball leaves, you'll get both metal wood and ocumelons. There are some exceptions of what's been mixed -- mushrooms, palm trees, and others that wouldn't work right with branched leaves are still normal, though they can show up in any biome now.
Normal planets ARE affected! All primary planetary biomes will have more diverse trees. This works with mods that add new systems based on existing biomes, like my Prismatic Stars mod, as well as Mysterious Stars and the Unstable Stars found in Your Starbound Crew.

Downloads will probably go on the official site soon, but for now, you can grab it here if you want:
Prismatic Stars
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans and hollow underground worlds)
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans, but no hollow underground worlds)
Plant Matters
Plant Matters (including trunk-leaf scramble!)

Let me know about any problems. the mix and match version of Plant Matters will probably have some ugly trees, so if anything really broken/floating comes from it, please do me a favor and examine it so your character will announce the name of the leaves and trunk. Easier to fix that way.

ok this is what is took to get me to play again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm adding it and the other mods posted here to the OP here in a few minutes once I stop my mod from crashing

E: if you made a mod and don't see it in the OP, let me know and I'll throw it in

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Thief posted:

Hope they never change this because it's really the only use I've gotten out of boats. Beaming down to planets that are just like a tiny island on lava are actually explorable thanks to this.

How did you get things on the cockpit walls? I wanted to put a load of monitors there but it wouldn't allow me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You have to place background tiles I think.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, everything but that middle row with the thin black line has background tiles that I took from the rest of the ship.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, Vib, if CF asked to incorporate everything you've done into the game-proper, would you be cool with that?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Played a bit more, didn't notice any other biome transitions that were wonky like oceans. However, Vib did you up settlement spawn rate? I was having 2-3 per planet, which felt a tad excessive. Actually, it might have been ok, but I would walk through a glitch town, 2 screens into a florian town, and then 2 screens past that an avian tomb. If they were evenly spread about the planets it probably wouldn't have felt as weird.

This is probably more of the base game, but is there a way to show difficulty numerically, so it would be something like "Mostly Harmless (1)", or "Insane (7)"? Just asking because after about extreme I really can't keep straight what is more dangerous than what.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
:stare: How do you guys upgrade your ships like that? I got one ship upgrade and the stupid pirate trader doesn't talk to me anymore since than even now that I got one of each of the upgraded three top-level armor sets.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Feindfeuer posted:

:stare: How do you guys upgrade your ships like that? I got one ship upgrade and the stupid pirate trader doesn't talk to me anymore since than even now that I got one of each of the upgraded three top-level armor sets.

Complete all the quests in the Outpost. Once you've done each 'tier' of quests you'll get another unlock for your ship.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Thief posted:

Haha, your pool and your 'no escape' sign are on in the same spot as they are in mine. :shepface:

Yours is definitely better though. How do you zoom out that far anyway?

edit: OH you edited the images together :doh:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 4, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok reading up on how to edit ship files, and then working on making ships fully customizable.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Haha, your pool and your 'no escape' sign are on in the same spot as they are in mine. :shepface:

Your's is definitely better though. How do you zoom out that far anyway?

:420::respek::420:

Find a planet that has healing waters and you can put them in your ship for free heals!

I actually just overlapped 2 screenshots that I took while playing fullscreen. I think the view is locked to your resolution or something, but you can hold ctrl and mouse around to pan the camera iirc.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Azzents posted:

Complete all the quests in the Outpost. Once you've done each 'tier' of quests you'll get another unlock for your ship.

Is there a way to trigger the next 'tier' of quests, cause I have nobody that talks to me for quiet some time and have done the weapon lab and the floran party already but am stuck with the first ship upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually know a bit on how ships work. I'm making the Mantizi Tier 5 ship right now, actually.

It's fairly easy to make full customizable ships, actually. There's a small file in a race's ship folder that looks like this:

Each different colored pixel is a different "thing" as defined in the blockkey.config file located in any given race's ship folder. The yellow (255, 255, 144) pixel is the "Apex Background" pixel, for example. You just have to make most of the screen not red, as red is the non-playable-area boundary. You can make it whatever you want in the blockkey.config. Then you define a starting block of destructable materials using the blockkey.config, like say give the room some planks. make sure the essentials are in like the storage box and the SAIL and the pilot's seat, and bam, you've got your full customizable ship.

The exteriors of the ships are just images, the only thing boxing you into your ship is what is defined as the playable area in that little png up there.

E: for clarity, each "pixel" as defined in that little image is 8 "actual pixels", I believe.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread