Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

That's a bit unfair on Zach. He's Ok, he's just not-a-point-guard and is mostly being played out of position. I think at the 2 he'd look better. He's not starter-quality but I think he'll be a good rotation guy as a secondary ball-handler, shooter and slasher.

?? For a rookie Wiggins isn't shooting that bad at all. His usage is lower, but his efficiency is very similar to Carmelo's rookie year. Wiggins has a bit higher eFG%, TS% is a bit higher for Carmelo, Wiggins has a higher 3p%....

If you look at the latter part of the season Wiggins shooting is even decent by NBA standards, though admittedly inconsistent. His defense also has been very good for a rookie.

Mirotic has been more efficient and on a better team, but Wiggins is playing and scoring more, which usually is a big driver for ROY. There's also more narrative because of the trade so

I don't agree with you about Lavine. He doesn't seem to understand basic things, like passing to open shooters and running the same plays that every high school team runs. Deandre Jordan could do that if he was playing point guard. Zach still has incredible potential, because he can run and jump like an antelopeian . He can still create his own shot, even if he creates a really bad shot, over and over again. He'll need a long time to learn how to play. Of course, we said that about Giannis and look at him now (aside from forgetting how to shoot)

I agree with you about Wiggins. He looks good and I have no worries about him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

I don't agree with you about Lavine. He doesn't seem to understand basic things, like passing to open shooters and running the same plays that every high school team runs. Deandre Jordan could do that if he was playing point guard. Zach still has incredible potential, because he can run and jump like an antelopeian . He can still create his own shot, even if he creates a really bad shot, over and over again. He'll need a long time to learn how to play. Of course, we said that about Giannis and look at him now (aside from forgetting how to shoot)

I agree with you about Wiggins. He looks good and I have no worries about him.

I mean, I'm not passionate about defending LaVine because I think we are debating if he's a 7th man or a 10th man, but it's always fun to talk about fringe guys. But as far as running an offense I think you have to put into context that for most of his time with the Wolves Pekovic, Martin and Rubio have all been out, so its tough to drive an offense that lacking of NBA-quality players.

The stats on "running an offense" are limited, but LaVine is getting about 7.5 assists and 5 turnovers per 100 possessions. That compares to Elfrid Payton (and LaVine is a better shooter on a higher usage). That Assist/TOV is pretty close to Eric Bledsoe as well, interestingly enough.

I mean, the Timberwolves have been pretty bad with him, but they've been pretty bad in general.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zach Lavine is no way a point guard and should exist solely to finish crazy ally oops from Ricky Rubio.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0smvr90xko

The best part of this clip is that when they cut back to Cousins he's already at the free-throw line. As if his attitude is gently caress D in this blow-out, I'll just keep it even myself.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Cavs D looks better shooting percentage wise because somehow in this stretch they faced good teams that had pitiful shooting nights. It wasn't people being funneled yo Mozgov, though that helped, but the unlucky misses of wide open shots. Look at the Bulls game and the Thunder game. Those teams both shot under 40 percent against the Cavs which is more of an aberration in the offense rather than the Cavs defense becoming a juggernaut.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Niwrad posted:

There would have been for Melo though. Chicago couldn't offer him a max without a S&T. It also would have allowed Chicago to keep their MLE.

It worked out great for the Bulls that Phil wanted to keep Carmelo. But I think the better play for the Knicks would have been to work out a S&T with Chicago for some assets. Maybe they could have gotten Mirotic and a couple 1st round picks out of the deal which would have set them up nicely for the future.

How would the Knicks be better off with Mirotic and 2 picks in the 20s than keeping Melo? They'd be trading one of the best scorers in the league for three role players (at best). That's a nice setup for the Knicks only if you want the Knicks to continue to be very bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LaVine was bad for most of his one college season, looks awful every time I watch him in the NBA, and will probably continue to be bad in the future, but he'll at least be a fun end of the bench dude, I guess.

Wiggins is really good. Durant shot horribly his first year too in more or less the same situation. I don't think Wiggins will get to that level as a shooter (he's actually a better percentage shooter now than Durant was as a rookie, especially from three, but he's not shooting as much), but he's a way better defensive player than KD was at that point. And he's not even shooting that badly if you throw out the first couple months where he was godawful. He's come on really strong and seems to be figuring things out. He's one of the best athletes in the league already and his jumper is a lot farther along than I thought it was. If he can just get better with his decision making (mostly dumping all the tough midrange looks in favor of getting to the basket) and bulk up he can be one of the best players in the league in a couple years. He's doing a much better job of being the go to guy for his team than I think most people would have expected based on his reluctance to consistently do that in high school and college.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
also Wiggins can probably bench 185lbs

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Jerami Grant is shooting .467 from 3 in 2015 (.407 on the season). He was 0 for 5 on threes his last year at Syracuse. He's also now the third Sixers rookie averaging over a block per game. Development.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Good work ESPN on turning a dumb inapplicable metaphor into an unreadable layout http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12247524/new-york-knicks-history-false-prophets

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ungratek posted:

How would the Knicks be better off with Mirotic and 2 picks in the 20s than keeping Melo? They'd be trading one of the best scorers in the league for three role players (at best). That's a nice setup for the Knicks only if you want the Knicks to continue to be very bad.

I agree with you that a S&T was not really an option. But being very bad is the only way for the Knicks to get out of this mess. NY should absolutely look to move Calderon and Melo.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Ungratek posted:

The main problem with the Knicks is that maybe in a vacuum, the best option is to trade Melo for assets/picks and rebuild, but they still don't have a first in 2016 and 2018. I think this years or 2017 might also be a Denver swapable pick. So their hope is to get a high pick this summer, sign people in free agency, and at worst make the team perennial playoff team until 2018.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

wangvicous posted:

The main problem with the Knicks is that maybe in a vacuum, the best option is to trade Melo for assets/picks and rebuild, but they still don't have a first in 2016 and 2018. I think this years or 2017 might also be a Denver swapable pick. So their hope is to get a high pick this summer, sign people in free agency, and at worst make the team perennial playoff team until 2018.

It's just 2016 that they don't have a first round pick. So maybe they should keep Calderon and Melo until the 15-16 season and then blow it up and build around their 2015 pick.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I agree with you that a S&T was not really an option. But being very bad is the only way for the Knicks to get out of this mess. NY should absolutely look to move Calderon and Melo.

The Knicks are already absolutely terrible with Melo, and he's an asset you hold on to. Trading him isn't going to affect how bad the Knicks are at this point.

I think the Knicks discussed trading Calderon, but he apparently likes living in NY and doesn't want to move, which is fair and I'm glad the Knicks are willing to respect that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ungratek posted:

I think the Knicks discussed trading Calderon, but he apparently likes living in NY and doesn't want to move, which is fair and I'm glad the Knicks are willing to respect that.

His contract is awful enough that respect may not have a ton to do with it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Sound like Dwight's knee is really hosed and is getting something called a bone marrow aspirate injection, which sounds unpleasant as hell

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Ungratek posted:

The Knicks are already absolutely terrible with Melo, and he's an asset you hold on to. Trading him isn't going to affect how bad the Knicks are at this point.

Yeah but what happens when NY is really bad next season when they don't have their pick? My bet is that Dolan panics and insists on taking on some more bad contracts in an attempt to make the playoffs.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Clips signed Dahntay Jones for the remainder of the season. I'm a little surprise. Doc must think the buyouts are going to be pretty dry.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Sound like Dwight's knee is really hosed and is getting something called a bone marrow aspirate injection, which sounds unpleasant as hell

That sounds loving terrible. :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It's actually an outpatient procedure so I don't think it's that bad.

However, the stuff they do to him after this doesn't work is going to be unpleasant.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah but what happens when NY is really bad next season when they don't have their pick? My bet is that Dolan panics and insists on taking on some more bad contracts in an attempt to make the playoffs.

Having a lovely owner is going to cause a problem anyways, may as well keep the one enteraining and good player you have

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

It's a stem cell therapy.

You are sedated or under general anesthesia and a needle takes bone marrow, most likely from the pelvis the same side as where there next part will be. They grab the stem cells out of that and then inject it into the site of the procedure.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I was doing some important thinking and I realized that Terrence Jones is my favorite Rockets player. I'm not sure how it happened that a hobo stomping backup tweener is my guy, but that's just how it is.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

It's a stem cell therapy.

You are sedated or under general anesthesia and a needle takes bone marrow, most likely from the pelvis the same side as where there next part will be. They grab the stem cells out of that and then inject it into the site of the procedure.

I thought all stem cell treatments and such were banned in the US, but I guess I'm so incredibly out of the loop on what the current policy for that kind of stuff is.

chunkles posted:

I was doing some important thinking and I realized that Terrence Jones is my favorite Rockets player. I'm not sure how it happened that a hobo stomping backup tweener is my guy, but that's just how it is.

:hf:
Backups (and/or other highly flawed players) are almost always my favorite players.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Nobody* would trade any decent assets for Carmelo Anthony at this point.

*Sacramento doesn't count

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kibner posted:

I thought all stem cell treatments and such were banned in the US, but I guess I'm so incredibly out of the loop on what the current policy for that kind of stuff is.

It's your own stem cells.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kibner posted:

Its also extremely unlikely to produce any results that last longer than a month or two

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also extremely unlikely to produce any results that last longer than a month or two

You have to get the real deal stem cells to get good results.

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(08)00365-4/abstract

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's always easier to build with someone who other NBA players consider a superstar, and almost impossible to build with a bare cupboard.

And the idea that he doesn't have trade value is silly. The Knicks phone is going to ring the second teams start getting knocked out of the playoffs.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

chunkles posted:

It's your own stem cells.

Killing babies to help Dwight Howard play basketball smdh what would Jesus say

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He already weighed in:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

e: Beaten by a better post.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"Get that poo poo Dwight!" , probably.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Byron Scott was asked about Jason Kidd when he coached him on the Nets and he said Kidd was known as an rear end in a top hat lol.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So this Nets assistant had a heart attack on the practice floor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nets-a...-234149540.html

quote:

Between CPR and a defibrillator, Walsh and his training staff brought Sann back to life. Sann awoke on his back unsure what had happened, only to see the trainers and coaches standing over him, and, yes, perhaps the surest sign he had returned to the living: "Kevin Garnett was yelling," Sann said.

What a terrible way to wake up. Kevin Garnett Screaming Alarm Clocks will never take off.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Row posted:

Byron Scott was asked about Jason Kidd when he coached him on the Nets and he said Kidd was known as an rear end in a top hat lol.

Byron Scott should really be nicer to the only reason he's still getting jobs today.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ungratek posted:

They are going to be bad for awhile with or without Melo. At least this way you've acquired assets that will add value by the time you're read to compete. And you've freed up cap space to take on bad contracts with picks attached (like adding a 1st and 2nd by taking back Lin).

What's the end game right now? Build a good supporting cast over the next few years for 33-year old Carmelo Anthony? The value in Carmelo's contract is in the first couple years, not the last ones. Knicks are rebuilding and they are better off rebuilding with a ton of 1st round picks and young prospects than a 30-year old entering the twilight of his career.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I was reluctant to come to this bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PdlcSL23k

I don't know how I never saw this until now

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Byron Scott should really be nicer to the only reason he's still getting jobs today.

Kidd and Chris Paul. He had some fantastic PGs running his teams for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Niwrad posted:

They are going to be bad for awhile with or without Melo. At least this way you've acquired assets that will add value by the time you're read to compete. And you've freed up cap space to take on bad contracts with picks attached (like adding a 1st and 2nd by taking back Lin).

What's the end game right now? Build a good supporting cast over the next few years for 33-year old Carmelo Anthony? The value in Carmelo's contract is in the first couple years, not the last ones. Knicks are rebuilding and they are better off rebuilding with a ton of 1st round picks and young prospects than a 30-year old entering the twilight of his career.

Not having the 2016 pick sorta makes that plan difficult.

• Locked thread