Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is there any way to deal with the fact that my sims will refuse to do anything with dishes besides pick them up and put them back down? its obnoxious

i otherwise like this game a lot and think it is pretty good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

is there any way to deal with the fact that my sims will refuse to do anything with dishes besides pick them up and put them back down? its obnoxious

i otherwise like this game a lot and think it is pretty good!!!
You can just click and drag dishes into a sink or trashcan to take care of them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Bars are broken in Sims 4.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=547478 fixes it. Shimrod to the rescue again.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Kins posted:

You can just click and drag dishes into a sink or trashcan to take care of them.

gives me an error half the time.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Family trees are back, looks like:

http://t.co/IQlolahx6s

quote:

Can you believe it? This week marks the 15 year anniversary of The Sims™. This is a massive milestone, not just for us in the studio but for all of our players, many of whom have shared this journey from that very first day. We will be celebrating throughout the month of February, but what better way to kick off than by talking about a much-requested feature that we are bringing to The Sims 4 today.

Genealogy is essential for legacy and family players to fully appreciate the scope of their games. For all those players who lovingly document every generation of their Sims, print out their family trees, and keep tracking of the complex relationships that develop, Genealogy is an incredibly valuable tool.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

It's been out for 15 years so far? I feel old now. Not that I didn't before...

Anyways, patch also came out today. Mods breaking is always the best part of patches because the xml changes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

It's been out for 15 years so far? I feel old now. Not that I didn't before...

Anyways, patch also came out today. Mods breaking is always the best part of patches because the xml changes.

Patch notes, please!

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Sims patch notes are the best

quote:

It’s 2015, did you know? We totally knew that... now. (patch notes now have the correct year)

quote:

We fixed an issue that would cause Sims to lose work performance unfairly if… here we go… Sim A and Sim B traveled to a non-home lot. Sim A (the non-working Sim) traveled to another lot just before Sim B (the working Sim) went to work, and then Sim A returned to the lot they just left, which would then cause Sim B to return from work early and thus lose performance.
If you could follow that bug, I should show you some of the bugs we fixed with generational game play… create an 8 Sim household, marry 2 of them, have step children, and some adoptions, then kill somebody. Re-arrange the family through manage worlds and splitting, and re-enter live mode. Notice that the Earth has stopped rotating…

quote:

Children will find the computer less accommodating to…um, if two consenting adults should happen to be in a rocket… I mean, if there is a rocket in space, and you are at the computer, you can listen to the launch, and the broadcast from space. But if the adults are in the rocket… well, if the child tried to use the computer… and the consenting adults were to, that is to say, if they became friendly then… the child can’t listen at the computer anymore.

Oh and I guess bartenders are fixed.

quote:

Bartenders are back on the job! Autonomous and player requested beverages are once again being served.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-4-updates/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The longer this game is out, the happier I feel about buying it, because the post-release support has been great. It's like some kind of weird reverse buyers remorse.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The longer this game is out, the happier I feel about buying it, because the post-release support has been great. It's like some kind of weird reverse buyers remorse.

It's like the inverse quotient of the Spore Formula

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, I'm really glad to see the bartender thing get fixed, last time I played two of my Sims went to a bar to hang out and one of my Sims wandered over to the bar, put down an order for a drink, and then when it didn't arrive, ordered another. And then another when that didn't arrive, and another, and another, each seconds after the last, for a total of eight drinks by the time I realized what was going on and got her to stop. For $10 per drink, when money was already tight :shepicide:

As funny as the mental image of a woman making it rain on an empty bar in exchange for absolutely nothing is, I'm glad bars serve an actual purpose now instead of sucking your money into a void.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

quote:

Adults that were asked to read to children would often times become so engrossed in the story that they would forget to actually read to the child. We’ve fixed this issue by informing the adults that the purpose of reading to their children is to connect with them, creating a lasting bond of love and trust, and not so much about finding out just how far Spot can run.

Sims will no longer get a whim to know themselves… that is to say to introduce themselves to themselves.

The bug reports are still the best.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Sims 4 Megathread: It's Like Some Kind of Weird Reverse Buyer's Remorse is now the thread title inside my heart.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Right after Shimrod released his bartending fix mod, the patch came out. Coincidence, or conspiracy?

I call coincidence because 1 day wouldn't be enough for EA to put in all the changes before launching a patch.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Sucks for Shimrod though. No one else managed to fix that bug and as soon as he does its patched.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How in all those notes did you not post this gem

quote:

Angry pregnant Sims will no longer choose to Take an Angry Poop when taking a pregnancy test (yep, you read that).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The official Norwegian Sims Youtube channel posted up the trailer for the first expansion pack, then immediately made it private. Oops.

They also forgot that the internet is very fast at backing things up. Double oops.

The original video description, translated to English by Twinfinite, whoever they are:

quote:

The Sims 4 Get to Work: official announcement trailer. Take your Sims on the job. Save lives. Solve Crime. Invent things. Start your own company. Get to Work. Expansion Pack.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sounds good, if it's got elements of TS2 Open for Business and TS3 Ambitions and is decently fleshed out.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That will be a day one purchase for me if it is accurate.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Lack of careers was one of the biggest complaints so seeing an expansion pack dedicated to it sounds great.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Depending on the features, I will move from TS3 to TS4 for this expansion pack.

E: Watched the trailer, it looks like Open for Business is finally back, which means I'm coming, Sims 4.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Presumably aliens will be in this one, too, there was that tweet a little while back that got pulled quick, saying something about how the tweeter was playing an early version of the first EP and got abducted by aliens and frozen solid, and sure enough the trailer has someone being frozen solid by some kind of mad scientist ice ray.

Looks like a lot of missing careers were being held back for this expansion, I saw at least law enforcement and medicine, maybe science as well. As far as I can remember that about covers all the missing careers now that athletic and business are patched in.

e: still missing military, I guess

I also never got a chance to play Open For Business, so I'm excited to see TS4's interpretation.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 4, 2015

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Open for Business was my favourite part of any Sims game ever, so to say I'm pretty excited would be an understatement, which is dangerous for a Sims thing, but at least they've been doing right so far.. Please be good. :(

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
As one of this games biggest detractors prior to release, and a devout "gently caress EA" person this is weird to say, but... I'm pleasantly surprised how this game is turning out. I picked the game up when it was 50% off over the holidays, and while I haven't had much time to play it, it's been pretty good so far. With all the patches coming out, and expansions that seem to reflect more "what people want" and less "gouging the players for money" it feels like EA (at least the Maxis division anyway) is trying to offer up a genuine olive branch to the Sims community.

Still doesn't make up for what they did to Sim City, but it's a good step in the right direction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Sims of Duty: Modern Warfare

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Chamale posted:

Your Sim goes to work, doesn't come back for 12 full days and returns with the insanity trait... :ohdear:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Chamale posted:

No, this is EA, so we're getting Battlefield: Pleasantview.

I remember back in the SimCity 2000 days Will Wright was big on letting you import data from one sim game into another (and we saw this with things like SimCity 2000 saves going into SimCopter), so imagine if you could put your Sims 4 character into Hardline or whatever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

No, this is EA, so we're getting Battlefield: Pleasantview.

I remember back in the SimCity 2000 days Will Wright was big on letting you import data from one sim game into another (and we saw this with things like SimCity 2000 saves going into SimCopter), so imagine if you could put your Sims 4 character into Hardline or whatever.
They toyed with this in the Sims era as well (Importing SimCity 4 terrain into custom TS2 worlds, Command and Conquer skins for TS1...), it'd be kind of cute if TS4 checked your Origin library and added some little extras based on what games you owned. Things like, I dunno, medieval dresses if you have Dragon Age, some skyscrapers for the inevitable City world if you have SimCity, or the occasional high-speed car chase screaming past your house if you have Battlefield Hardline.

That'd require co-operation between EA studios, though, and god knows that ain't gonna happen.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

They toyed with this in the Sims era as well (Importing SimCity 4 terrain into custom TS2 worlds, Command and Conquer skins for TS1...), it'd be kind of cute if TS4 checked your Origin library and added some little extras based on what games you owned. Things like, I dunno, medieval dresses if you have Dragon Age, some skyscrapers for the inevitable City world if you have SimCity, or the occasional high-speed car chase screaming past your house if you have Battlefield Hardline.

That'd require co-operation between EA studios, though, and god knows that ain't gonna happen.

SimCity 4 was odd about Sims importing. You could import TS1 sims into your SimCity 4 game, but could export the terrain for TS2 neighborhoods?

Why would in-game extras require cooperation though? We already see something like that in the form of the games your sims play, there's FIFA and Dragon Age and a couple of others.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Considering my love for OFB and Ambitions and the reintroduction of genealogy, this pack might make me give in and buy the game.

And then probably regret it because of no toddlers and no story progression.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Considering my love for OFB and Ambitions and the reintroduction of genealogy, this pack might make me give in and buy the game.

And then probably regret it because of no toddlers and no story progression.

Unless you really, really liked toddlers, you probably won't regret it. Story progression is a shame but the game actually makes environments way more interesting to make up for the lack of real story progression.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's really hard to tell if the careers in that video are actual interactable jobs or just mock-ups (like the pictures for the current careers). I know I should keep my expectations down but I want to hope.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

a7m2 posted:

Unless you really, really liked toddlers, you probably won't regret it. Story progression is a shame but the game actually makes environments way more interesting to make up for the lack of real story progression.

Yeah, but I normally play legacy style and hate rotations. Therein lies the rub.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Toddlers were weird in that the life stage was basically a time trial game where you had to cram in the three life skills before they ended up traumatized for life. It always felt a little gimmicky to me so I can't say I miss toddlers specifically, but at the same time the absence is jarring. There really should be a better compromise.

On sort of the opposite subject, does anyone have a favorite feature in the series that never popped up again? I thought the pet dragons all the way back from Making Magic were the greatest, but they've never shown up in any form again despite magic reappearing several times over (and the things in that one Sims 3 DLC don't count, they were basically just weird birds.)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mycot posted:

Toddlers were weird in that the life stage was basically a time trial game where you had to cram in the three life skills before they ended up traumatized for life. It always felt a little gimmicky to me so I can't say I miss toddlers specifically, but at the same time the absence is jarring. There really should be a better compromise.

On sort of the opposite subject, does anyone have a favorite feature in the series that never popped up again? I thought the pet dragons all the way back from Making Magic were the greatest, but they've never shown up in any form again despite magic reappearing several times over (and the things in that one Sims 3 DLC don't count, they were basically just weird birds.)

Toddler life stage should be a mobile and autonomous NPC in your house that has its own needs and agendas, and you have to keep it under control indirectly by telling your sims to interact with it.

Agendas include:
Have fun
Be social
Break something
Freak out
Escape the house and travel to a mystery lot

Sealing it up in a containment cell is no good because it has a rapidly decaying social meter and keeps a record of various neglects to come back and bite the player once it ages up into Child.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mycot posted:

The snow vacation area from Vacation and Superstar. I guess some of the ideas from Superstar made it into Ambitions, but I would've preferred it if Showtime was more like Superstar.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

It's really hard to tell if the careers in that video are actual interactable jobs or just mock-ups (like the pictures for the current careers). I know I should keep my expectations down but I want to hope.

It looks like with the detective career you have to take screenshots to collect evidence or something. It looks like all the new jobs have fully intractable work spaces now actually (police department, doctors office, mad scientist lair of some kind). It could be that you now have to manage your Sim at work, and at home. Will be interesting to see if the base jobs that come with the game get the same treatment.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

As for why The Sims 4 seems to stable, a developer posted this on the official forums.

(Don't visit the official forums, it's not worth it.)

quote:

Since there are a couple of people in this thread interested about how the game works, I give you this from SimGuruMax:

We built a data-driven interaction system for TS4. In general, the gameplay engineers don't script content anymore - we script new features and then integrate them into our data driven architecture, making them available to our tuning system. New buffs and traits can be added entirely through tuning, for example. Thats pretty cool, but obvious. We took it further. New objects and interactions can be added entirely through tuning (assuming the model and animation content is available). New NPCs can be added if they are simple like the Maid or Bartender. New situations can be added if they conform to one of our situation templates, which have to be scripted but then can be reused across multiple very different situations (situations control everything from parties and weddings to how Sims in your neighborhood behave and even venues).

This has contributed substantially to our ability to add new content to the game quickly and also is one of the chief reasons, I believe, why TS4 is so stable - all interactions are going through a shared, generic pipeline and so fixing any bug fixes it in all interactions. This is not with out its costs, though, as it does make it much harder to make the first of something because you have to design it within the constraints of the system. Ad-hoc implementations are not only discouraged, they are rendered virtually impossible in our architecture. This further feeds into why we have a system-based approach to fleshing out the game.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Does Sims 4 still suffer from the "This random sim that I just met, formed a romantic relationship with, and moved in as an adult actually turned out to be one day away from aging to an elder sim" problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SystemLogoff posted:

As for why The Sims 4 seems to stable, a developer posted this on the official forums.

That makes sense, considering how the Grim Reaper can behave just like a regular Sim in a lot of ways.