Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Alonne takes me a few times to remember when to heal and yeah lots of times I'm mashing the roll button cause I can tell he's coming at me.

Mashing the roll button is what got me killed for like half the fights, loving delayed attacks! How dare he!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I found that if you're gonna heal you have to do it immediately after he finishes a combo, cause usually then he jumps back and waits a moment. Also a good time was when he jumped up in the air I think.

Th biggest fuckin gently caress you alonne was those long distance attacks where he'd hesitate for like just long enough that you roll too soon and then WHAM. He was a cool boss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I found that if you're gonna heal you have to do it immediately after he finishes a combo, cause usually then he jumps back and waits a moment. Also a good time was when he jumped up in the air I think.

The absolute best time is after he's done a combo and you're also right next to him. It'll take him a bit to recover from the last attack, and when he does he'll then leap back in an attempt to do the thrust, giving you enough time to get off the heal and dodge the thrust itself. IIRC, anyway. I haven't fought him in quite a while.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Steam is updating DS2 with a 500mb patch just now. Isn't it first due tomorrow?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The patch is out now, I just downloaded it on PS3.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Foulbrood posted:

It's already Feb 5th in Japan.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I started wearing the RoLT ever since I did some Iron Keep runs and kept dying and losing 40k+ souls that I failed to retrieve. My anger elicited from the game has gone down significantly since then, and my enjoyment has gone up.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Tamayachi posted:

The wording on the ring suggests ALL souls

Ring Item Description: "A ring affixed with an open vessel. The vessel insatiably absorbs souls in place of its wearer, who is left unaware even of their collection.
All things are rooted in souls, but what drives our thirst for them? Abstinence from this elixir may be the truest homage to an enduring self"

Ahh, good ol' Dark Souls 2 item descriptions.

"Hmm, very mysterious. What makes a man a man? Perhaps the epitome of struggle is what thrives within your purple monkey dishwasher"

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Found it. The Agape Ring is sold by Straid for 5,000 souls. It does seem to absorb ALL souls gained. The online mode thing in the patch notes was just a bad translation.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
"Souls are to the curse like a moth to a flame. But what is the source of this endemic condition? I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations"

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
"Without flame, all that remains is that which remains without flame. But what remains when there is no flame? I dunno."

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So is this the one that adds the new npc as well?

Edit: It totally is.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

It adds everything but new enemy placements, the extra multiplayer player slot, and the higher res enemy models.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Foulbrood posted:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The patch is out now, I just downloaded it on PS3.

Meatsicle posted:

Found it. The Agape Ring is sold by Straid for 5,000 souls. It does seem to absorb ALL souls gained. The online mode thing in the patch notes was just a bad translation.

Uggggh I really wish I wasn't at work.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Now I can Sunbro for ages without having to worry about going beyond the soul memory range for most people! :unsmith:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

thebardyspoon posted:

Edit: It totally is.

Where's he at, I wanna hear his cryptic-rear end pronouncements so I can hate everything some more

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Space Hamlet posted:

Where's he at, I wanna hear his cryptic-rear end pronouncements so I can hate everything some more

Go to the primal bonfire after the rotten. He probably appears elsewhere but my playthrough on the PC is just at Drangleic castle so can't check later in the game.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 4, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Any weapon/spell balance in this patch ?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

thebardyspoon posted:

Go to the primal bonfire after the rotten. He probably appears elsewhere but my playthrough on the PC is just at Drangleic castle so can't check later in the game.
Here's where I found him:
- Primal Bonfire after Rotten (or possibly the first Primal Bonfire you reach)
- Entrance of Undead Crypt (the bonfire has been relocated to be just in front of the stairs)
- The first Bonfire of Dragon Shrine.

I answered his questions with Yes, I wonder if anything meaningful changes if you don't (or do)

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 4, 2015

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

IGgy IGsen posted:

Here's where I found him:
- Primal Bonfire after Rotten (or possibly the first Primal Bonfire you reach)
- Entrance of Undead Crypt (the bonfire has been relocated to be just in front of the stairs)
- The first Bonfire of Dragon Shrine.

I answered his questions with Yes, I wonder if anything meaningful changes if you don't (or do)

Did you do these on a character that had already completed these areas, or was it a fresh one? I'm wondering if I should start a new character, move one I already have to NG++, or just walk around in NG+ and see what happens.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Suitaru posted:

Did you do these on a character that had already completed these areas, or was it a fresh one? I'm wondering if I should start a new character, move one I already have to NG++, or just walk around in NG+ and see what happens.

Naw, I just checked likely places with a character I already finished the game with. Otherwise I wouldn't have been that fast in finding these spots.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
He doesn't appear in any of these places for me.

edit: Apparently if you don't talk to him at the Rotten primal bonfire before reaching the other locations he won't appear until you take the throne.

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 4, 2015

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Has anyone noticed any item description changes? The Ancient Dragon soul you get from the dragon memories still says it comes from the dragon in the shrine, which I always figured was a mistake.

Edit: The Giant's Kinship description is still mistranslated exactly the way it has before, but now it has a meaningless new paragraph!

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Space Hamlet posted:

Has anyone noticed any item description changes? The Ancient Dragon soul you get from the dragon memories still says it comes from the dragon in the shrine, which I always figured was a mistake.

Edit: The Giant's Kinship description is still mistranslated exactly the way it has before, but now it has a meaningless new paragraph!

My interpretation of the Ancient Dragon was that it was a fake, like Gwynevere in DS1.

Reposting the Patch Notes:

quote:

Added new character, The Scholar of the First Sin.
Additional item description text.
Choosing to enter the Covenant of Champions will now allow enemies to continue to respawn after being defeated.
Choosing to enter the Covenant of Champions will now cause enemies to inflict more damage to the player.
Players will gain access to a new item: The Agape Ring. When players equip the new Agape Ring, souls collected from kills during online play will be absorbed by the ring rather than the player. This allows players to control their online matchmaking experience by limiting their total souls collected.
Increased effect of Rusted Coin.
Awestones now dropped more often.
The bonfire warp selection screen will now highlight the top three areas where players will have the best chance to connect with other players online.
White phantoms will remain in other players’ worlds for longer periods of time.
White phantoms will no longer return to their world if time runs out during a boss battle.
Players on their first play through can now match with players on their 2nd or further play through.
Made it easier for players to match online in general.

Made it so that invading players cannot use items which invite more enemies.
NPC conversation text is now displayed more prominently than online notices.
Players may now choose to cancel out the effect of the Human Effigy at bonfires.
When a player cannot take part in online play due to the effect of the Human Effigy, made it so that the player can still write signs. (They still cannot summon during this period.)
The Imitation spell now affects normal enemies.
The Hush spell is now more effective on normal enemies.
Load times shortened (PS3 only).
Calibrations no longer saved each time before the title screen.
Fixed issue causing map name listed on save data and actual map name after loading to not match.
Made it possible to skip the ending sequence the 2nd time through and beyond.
Removed the blur effect used when looking through the binoculars.
Rouge Water, etc.: Fixed issue causing the user not to recover spell usages for spells only able to be used once.
Made Old Iron King’s Crown’s effect function consistently throughout the game.
Adjusted price for Crown of the Ivory King, Ivory King Armor, Ivory King Gauntlets, Ivory King Leggings.
Fixed Issue whereby the sign in the Iron Keep was not displayed as intended once the player spoke to Lucatiel of Mirrah in Harvest Valley.
Corrected issue whereby users could not use Bonfire Ascetics at Undead Crypt Entrance Bonfire.
Adjusted timing for Licia of Lindeldt to become the player’s enemy.
Adjusted conditions for lighting Majula map from “Defeat Nashandra” to “Defeat Throne Defender and Throne Watcher.”
To prevent invasion after defeating area bosses, made the Human Effigy effect function in this situation automatically.
Made it possible to get the reward items after defeating area bosses even if your inventory is full at the time. (Items will drop in front of the player.)
Made it possible to get the reward items after using Crushed Eye Orb and defeating Licia of Lindeldt even if your inventory is full at the time. (Items will drop in front of the player.)
In Black Gulch, made it possible to receive Forgotten Key after defeating a Giant when the player has 99 Souls of a Giant.
In Grand Cathedral, made it possible to still receive the item you are supposed to get when talking to Alsanna, Silent Oracle even if your inventory is full.
At the Ending, if the player has fulfilled the conditions to receive Illusory Ring of a Conqueror and Illusory Ring of the Exalted but their inventory is full, made it possible to receive the rings properly. (Players will receive the rings as soon as space is opened in their inventory.)
Adjusted rewards in online play:

(Normal Online Play)
Host vanquishes invading dark phantom or arbiter spirit: Human Effigy
Host vanquishes a dark phantom summoned through red sign: Human Effigy
Host vanquishes invading grey spirit (Bell Keeper): (1 of the following) Titanite Chunk, Titanite Slab, Twinkling Titanite, Petrified Dragon Bone.
Vanquish host you invade at the covenant “Rat King” area: Added Smooth & Silky Stone in addition to Pharros’ Lockstone

(Covenant “Blue Sentinels”)
Vanquish dark phantom when summoned as help by a Way of Blue host: Devotion to covenant up +1.

(Covenant “Rat King”)
Vanquish client summoned to Rat King area: Added Smooth & Silky Stone in addition to Pharros’ Lockstone.

(Covenant “Bell Keeper”)
Vanquish host when invading as grey phantom: (1 of the following) Titanite Chunk, Titanite Slab, Twinkling Titanite, Petrified Dragon Bone.

(Covenant “Pilgrims of Dark”)
Host vanquishes abyss spirit in Dark Chasm of Old: added Human Effigy to Bonfire Ascetic.

(Covenant “Brotherhood of Blood”)
When invading, vanquish Blue Sentinel summoned as help: Devotion to covenant up +2.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 4, 2015

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Yes, which is why it's a bit odd that the soul you get from the seemingly real dragon in the dragon memories claims to be the soul from the one in the shrine all the characters allude to being fake. Are the dragon memories also fake??? Or did they just move that soul to the dragon memories at some point during development and forget to change the description and then, apparently, forget to change it again during this lore patch that also didn't address the well-documented mistranslations?

I Am Not Impressed

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man shine of amana is such a lovely area. I don't think any part of any game has aggravated me this much.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

My interpretation of the Ancient Dragon was that it was a fake, like Gwynevere in DS1.

Reposting the Patch Notes:
It's a fake in that it isn't an actual dragon, but it's not an illusion, since you can fight it and it breathes very real fire.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AH WHAT THE HELL.

Goddamnit From you are great.

[e]:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Space Hamlet posted:

Yes, which is why it's a bit odd that the soul you get from the seemingly real dragon in the dragon memories claims to be the soul from the one in the shrine all the characters allude to being fake. Are the dragon memories also fake??? Or did they just move that soul to the dragon memories at some point during development and forget to change the description and then, apparently, forget to change it again during this lore patch that also didn't address the well-documented mistranslations?

I Am Not Impressed

Yeah, I think it's one of the major translation/description fuckups. The implication behind it would somehow be that the dragon in the Dragon Memories was the previous Dragon Shrine dragon that somehow ended up buried deep in Tseldora, was excavated by Duke Tseldora, had its soul extracted by Lord Aldia, and was then either used to recreate the dragon or used by Lord Aldia to become the dragon. But this then begs the question of why the "new" Ancient Dragon doesn't drop the soul, etc.

thebardyspoon posted:

Man shine of amana is such a lovely area. I don't think any part of any game has aggravated me this much.

Shrine of Amana would be "okay" if they didn't decide to stick two super-fast enemies that completely ignore the normal water physics and execute devastating hitstun combos at the fog gate. It perfectly exemplifies the DS2 problem of conflating "difficulty" (in the Dark Souls sense) with "multiple hard enemies." If you're going to stick that poo poo in, put it close to the bonfire, not at the furthest point from it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bellbros loving :getin: after this patch :black101:

thebardyspoon posted:

As we just discussed, Amana is actually pretty easy. And they patched it to be even easier because people bitched!

Git gud scrub. :colbert: (Roll under the magic. Problem solved.)

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
As impresssed as I'm not with the story aspects of the patch, the new final boss is much needed and pretty decent.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I've got a character who's completed NG+ sans DLC, can I still do whatever the Scholar of the First Sin dealie is or is it better to roll a new character? I've already met him at the Rotten bonfire - what's his deal?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

I've got a character who's completed NG+ sans DLC, can I still do whatever the Scholar of the First Sin dealie is or is it better to roll a new character? I've already met him at the Rotten bonfire - what's his deal?

You speak to him at three places. I think if you keep going in the game past the Rotten you miss out on him for awhile, but then later once you've done drangleic or crypt or something he shows back up. You should be fine?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think the patch isn't applying to my game for some reason? It downloaded but I didn't see anything different about Majula and when I went to the church where Ornstein is there wasn't anything different in front.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trujillo posted:

I think the patch isn't applying to my game for some reason? It downloaded but I didn't see anything different about Majula and when I went to the church where Ornstein is there wasn't anything different in front.

http://www.darksoulsii.com/uk/functionalities.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When the new graphics version comes out we can't transfer saves?

Bummer man.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Space Hamlet posted:

As impresssed as I'm not with the story aspects of the patch, the new final boss is much needed and pretty decent.

If you are not making GBS threads me then please tell me more about this. Because I had no clue.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a detailed summary of changes made in the patch (like beyond patch notes)? I don't care so much about spoilers, and I want to see if it's worth running a new character or not.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Will the new graphics make the game look like it looked in the pre-release trailers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

When the new graphics version comes out we can't transfer saves?

Bummer man.

That seems to indicate you can take saves from Dx9 PC version to Dx9 PC version, but there's only going to be a Dx11 version of Scholar, so? :psyduck:

GreatGreen posted:

Will the new graphics make the game look like it looked in the pre-release trailers?

No, nor would you want it to.