Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Hmmmmm, I might have one for sale - interested? I've given up on trying to locate stuff for it.

As a plan B if you'd like to sell some of the accessories you've pieced together let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

midge posted:

It's not often this thread teaches me something, but I certaintly didn't know about this. Holy poo poo.

http://www.destructoid.com/super-road-blaster-the-impossible-laserdisc-to-snes-port-228189.phtml

Not that this is saying much, but that looks and sounds better than the Sega-CD version ("Road Avenger"). On a loving Super Nintendo... wow.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So that I could sort it out in my own head without having to look at 2 or 3 websites I put together a Wonder Boy family tree, which was a good idea someone else asked for.

What I didn't know going into this was that the Adventure Island series branches off from the first Wonder Boy, so this diagram is very incomplete and maybe I'll finish it later with all of the Adventure Island games.

What spin-offs am I missing? I wouldn't be surprised if the Yachamaru games or something ended up being related.

e: Updated versions lower on the page!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 4, 2015

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

Be aware that parallel ports (even the correctly implemented ones on addon cards) sometimes don't work with specific software because of the braindead way modern windows just maps the I/O randomly somewhere, anywhere while programs often are hard-coded to speak to the parallel port at 0x378 or 0x278. That's not a hardware problem per se but a software one and you could probably discuss who's at fault here. There's a io.dll somewhere floating around on the internet which fixes that by remapping.

I'm surprised that the Sharp x68000 is worth so much money, somebody here tried to sell me one for like a hundred bucks maybe two years ago and I rejected because I couldn't fathom what I'd possibly do with such a thing.

Buy it and resell it to me. :D

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Heran Bago posted:

So that I could sort it out in my own head without having to look at 2 or 3 websites I put together a Wonder Boy family tree, which was a good idea someone else asked for.

What I didn't know going into this was that the Adventure Island series branches off from the first Wonder Boy, so this diagram is very incomplete and maybe I'll finish it later with all of the Adventure Island games.

What spin-offs am I missing? I wouldn't be surprised if the Yachamaru games or something ended up being related.

I feel like it's missing something without any of the Adventure Island sequels off to the side.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

Super Wonder Boy/Super Monster Land aren't substantially different games or anything, they just stuck "Super" on there for the MkIII ports for no real reason.

Just off the top of my head, I know Hudson released a galapagos remake of Monster Land with Master Higgins instead of the original player character, so there's a little more incest for ya.

Westone was also involved with Super Adventure Island in a supervisory capacity, but not any of the others (not even Super Adventure Island 2, which went all sword-and-sworcery, just like Monster Land...)

EDIT: I guess you'll have to tack Monster Boy on the end there, too?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RadicalR posted:

Hmmmmm, I might have one for sale - interested? I've given up on trying to locate stuff for it.

Please PM me, fellow turbo-nerd!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I need help with my 32X, retro thread. After buying one during Christmas and a bridge MD2 cable, I have only now gotten the time to sit down and hook poo poo up. Things started badly when this piece of frankenstein hardware didn't fit my CD-Z, which was the original plan. Apparently the CD-Z requires a different piece of plastic to get it sitting there, but ok, fine, I hooked it up with my MD2+Mega CD combo. Now, here's the problem. It... sort of works? I get sound but no video at all; it's just black. I'm using a SCART cable. Said SCART cable works with the MD2 and CD-Z by itself alone, so either the European 32X for some reason doesn't support RGB output or this bridge cable I got from ebay is poo poo. I need theories and suggestions on what to do/test? It's not impossible the 32X's video output itself is hosed, but I need to figure out how to check for that.

I was planning on using an old RF cable to test if I would get any image from that, but I can't seem to find any on my storage. It's possible I threw it out after getting the SCART some years back. Got no composite to try that out either.

e: the seller I bought the bridge cable from still has a few. He claims they are produced with good quality.

e2: also, it's probably important to mention: I got no 32X game to test the thing right now. I'm just using standard MD carts, which I reckon should work. I can play them; just can't see anything.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 4, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What happens if you use your video cable on your MD2 without the 32x? Is there video? I just tried screwing around with my setup (Model 1 GEN/SCD w/ 32x) and the following cables:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-S...=item259f24ed17
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...=item2edd239b5d

Which obviously is working. If I unplug the video lead from the Genesis then all video drops and all I get is audio. I believe both the 32X and MD2 have the same exact video pin so I would test that. If you have another video-out cable try that as well as judging from the cable I'm using sync can be a bitch out of the 32x. Mine's an older listing Retro Console Accessories doesn't list anymore as "US seller! 32X RGB SCART cable with boosted sync - no jailbars!"

Yes, even without a 32x game there should be video coming out as it will run in MD mode.

Edit: also the boosted sync should only really matter on a xrgb-like device. If the same cable works with your CDX then ignore the boosted sync and your cable is either busted or the 32x is.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 4, 2015

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Heran Bago posted:

This feels like some courtroom chart describing the affiliations of a crime family.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

I decided to give this a spin myself using yours as a base. Needs a couple of adjustments but at least most of it's down.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Noticed yours just before posting this, The Kins. Yours is so much nicer to look at.

So I got really into this and learned a lot reading up on Adventure Island. It's interesting how the Gameboy equivalents of the Adventure Island games lost a number. Here's a new version. Let me hear any comments, corrections, or suggestions.

It's still missing a couple things. I don't know what game PaletteSwappedNinja means by "a galapagos remake of Monster Land with Master Higgins instead of the original player character."

There's also something called Kiki Inland or Kiki Island for an obscure handheld called the Gamate. I can't find any pictures or video of it but wikipedia says it has different stuff. Apparently it's a reworking of the Gameboy Adventure Island, which is itself based on Adventure Island II (NES), of course.

And here is a flash version where you can right-click and zoom in on the boxarts with more detail.

e: imgur converts big pngs to lossy jpg :argh:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 4, 2015

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Hey Retro thread, do you have any purchases you regret? All this Wonder Boy talk got me excited to bust out the Mega Drive play through some some of them. I have always had a soft spot for Dragon's Trap, but remember hearing it did play nice with the MD's controller. Being my impatient self, I popped down to the retro store and picked up the only SMS controller I could find. This happened to be a SJ-152. Sega stuff from that era is pretty rare here and it cost me more than I'd like to think about.
Anyway, the ever drive wouldn't let me load games using JS152, so I switched to the MD controller start the game and continued on to play through to the village. This is how I learned that a SMS controller isn't needed for Dragon's Trap on JP Mega Drive. I feel like a dope.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I feel this thread is more selling regrets rather than purchasing regrets. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

It's still missing a couple things. I don't know what game PaletteSwappedNinja means by "a galapagos remake of Monster Land with Master Higgins instead of the original player character."

There's also something called Kiki Inland or Kiki Island for an obscure handheld called the Gamate. I can't find any pictures or video of it but wikipedia says it has different stuff. Apparently it's a reworking of the Gameboy Adventure Island, which is itself based on Adventure Island II (NES), of course.

Sorry, "galapagos" = old-school cellphone. I forget what it was called but "Super Adventure Island (mobile)" on Kins' chart is probably it.

All the Gamate games were terrible unlicensed imitations of other games, I'm not sure they count. There are clips of most of them on Youtube but I'm not even gonna bother looking them up, they're that bad.

MediumWellDone posted:

Hey Retro thread, do you have any purchases you regret? All this Wonder Boy talk got me excited to bust out the Mega Drive play through some some of them. I have always had a soft spot for Dragon's Trap, but remember hearing it did play nice with the MD's controller. Being my impatient self, I popped down to the retro store and picked up the only SMS controller I could find. This happened to be a SJ-152. Sega stuff from that era is pretty rare here and it cost me more than I'd like to think about.
Anyway, the ever drive wouldn't let me load games using JS152, so I switched to the MD controller start the game and continued on to play through to the village. This is how I learned that a SMS controller isn't needed for Dragon's Trap on JP Mega Drive. I feel like a dope.

You were almost right - Monster Land is the one that doesn't play nice with the MD controller.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 4, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

What happens if you use your video cable on your MD2 without the 32x? Is there video?

Yeah, and I mentioned as much. I have had this SCART cable for a few years now.

flyboi posted:

Which obviously is working. If I unplug the video lead from the Genesis then all video drops and all I get is audio. I believe both the 32X and MD2 have the same exact video pin so I would test that.

I may be too tired but I do not understand what you're saying here. Yes, the 32X and MD2 have the same video pin, but there's no separated video and audio cables here, in that neither the bridge cable or the SCART cable could do this to perform the test you mentioned.

flyboi posted:

If the same cable works with your CDX then ignore the boosted sync and your cable is either busted or the 32x is.

As someone who still doesn't understand much on how the 32X works, what does the bridge cable do exactly? The video and audio output are coming out of the 32X via SCART, the 32X is connected to the MD2 -- what does the bridge cable do here and is it a process that a bad cable would screw up the video while still playing audio?

Also, are the 32X known for having bad capacitators? The thing itself looks nearly mint. The plastic has no signs of having been exposed to bad elements nor cracks and scratches from a fall, so the only thing I can imagine bad would be perhaps capacitators. If there are bad capacitators there would be leaking inside, right? That's how I would be able to tell?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sorry, "galapagos" = old-school cellphone. I forget what it was called by "Super Adventure Island (mobile)" on Kins' chart is probably it.
Yeah. It's bizarre in that its a reskin/port of Monster Land that uses the names of earlier, unrelated games in the series. Oh, post-2000 Hudson Soft, you were so depressing...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MediumWellDone posted:

It wasn't retro at the time but I guess this counts now. I imported Mawaru Made in Wario, the Japanese version of Wario Ware Twisted, right when it came out. After a couple weeks the thing always veered to one side by itself. It's a great game but too bad I can't play it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

So I got really into this and learned a lot reading up on Adventure Island. It's interesting how the Gameboy equivalents of the Adventure Island games lost a number. Here's a new version. Let me hear any comments, corrections, or suggestions.
This is great! I made a couple of adjustments to mine based on stuff in yours that I missed (among other little corrections and tweaks)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

As someone who still doesn't understand much on how the 32X works, what does the bridge cable do exactly? The video and audio output are coming out of the 32X via SCART, the 32X is connected to the MD2 -- what does the bridge cable do here and is it a process that a bad cable would screw up the video while still playing audio?

The SMD still does its own audio and video processing, the bridge cable takes them to the the 32X, where they get mixed in with what it's doing and output via its output ports. So you might only be seeing what the 32X is doing, depending on the game. AVGN had a video on the 32X where he shows off this little quirk with Primal Rage.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

Hey Retro thread, do you have any purchases you regret?

:laugh:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, and I mentioned as much. I have had this SCART cable for a few years now.

I may be too tired but I do not understand what you're saying here. Yes, the 32X and MD2 have the same video pin, but there's no separated video and audio cables here, in that neither the bridge cable or the SCART cable could do this to perform the test you mentioned.

Have you tried a setup that is just the 32X and MD2 alone? Has the Mega CD been involved in every 32X test run you've tried? I don't know how it would interfere, but it's always good to get down to basics when troubleshooting.

Saoshyant posted:

As kirbysuperstar mentioned, it basically routes the audio and RGB video from the Genesis MD/MD2 AV port into the 32X, which then does its own video processing and outputs the result. This allows you to play MD games through the 32X instead of having to disconnect it; the 32X passes the MD cart's data through to the MD, then grabs the output from it.

I suspect the bridge cable is probably alright if you're still getting audio. An important factor that could be at work here, though, is the fact that the 32X does its own video encoding (as mentioned above), and it uses a different encoder than that of the MD2. So there could be some kind of signal difference in the 32X's video output over SCART that your TV doesn't like, compared to your MD2. Or maybe the SCART cable doesn't carry the 32X's output correctly to your TV. Or maybe it's both things simultaneously.

What kind of display are you hooking this all up to?

Saoshyant posted:

Also, are the 32X known for having bad capacitators? The thing itself looks nearly mint. The plastic has no signs of having been exposed to bad elements nor cracks and scratches from a fall, so the only thing I can imagine bad would be perhaps capacitators. If there are bad capacitators there would be leaking inside, right? That's how I would be able to tell?

I haven't heard anything about a 32X failing spectacularly due to capacitors or anything. And if it was a capacitor issue, you probably wouldn't get any kind of audio or form of regular function at all.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hey, who wants to build me a Star Fox 2 repro cart? I'll pay for parts I guess?

Edit: Also, side note: The LTTP Zelda Manga is up for preorder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421575418/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 4, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What kind of display are you hooking this all up to?

Currently just my Panasonic Plasma (with no XRGB involved) which can do everything from Master System's RF, Nintendo 64's rubbish 240p over composite, to Dreamcast's VGA and Xbox's component. I'm going to dig for an old CRT to give it a shot there, though, because why not.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I haven't heard anything about a 32X failing spectacularly due to capacitors or anything. And if it was a capacitor issue, you probably wouldn't get any kind of audio or form of regular function at all.

Ok, good to know.

So, right now the possibilities seem to be that either:

1) the 32X can't output any video at all due to something being broken inside it (and I wish I would know how to check for this stuff)
2) the 32X is outputting some weird signal that neither of my Mega Drives do over SCART and my TV isn't picking it up, though it never failed to pick anything before
3) the bridge cable is messed up, but if it is it's weird that it can send audio but no video

Hooking up a CRT when I get home should help confirming or outright ruling out 2). Anything else I should be on the look out for? Anyone knows how the hell I'd be able to tell if the video processor is broken?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You were almost right - Monster Land is the one that doesn't play nice with the MD controller.

The thing is, when using SMS pad in Monster Land I couldn't even open the first door. But as soon as I switched to the MD pad I could go in and spawn the first platform. :shrug:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hey, who wants to build me a Star Fox 2 repro cart? I'll pay for parts I guess?
I've made a couple. The parts aren't expensive, you just need a cheap used copy of Stunt Race FX and an EPROM.

The real cost is in the time it takes to make. You have to remove the onboard surface mount chip without damaging the board, clean the pads, prepare 32 short jumper wires, solder them to the tiny pads and run them to the legs of the EPROM. Then you have to add in the finishing touches like cleaning the cart, removing the label, and then (if you want) printing out and applying a fancy new label.

There's a reason most places charge $80-$90 for a well done SF2 cart with all the trimmings.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

MediumWellDone posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone here can answer "Pier Solar"

(Although I'm not sure I completely regret playing that game, because before I had no idea what to answer when asked what my most hated game was)

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

MediumWellDone posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 for the N64. I bought it a few years ago based entirely off nostalgia and not having played it since I rented it back in the day. It's, uh, not a good game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When I was a little kid I had the choice between Star Fox or Yogi Bear on SNES. Obviously I picked Yogi Bear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All Frogs posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 for the N64. I bought it a few years ago based entirely off nostalgia and not having played it since I rented it back in the day. It's, uh, not a good game.

And that wasn't a red flag in of itself?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

There's a zif cable that can get dislodged or unseated in the 32x. Open it up and reseat it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And that wasn't a red flag in of itself?

My experience with revisiting nostalgic stuff is kind of all over the place when it comes to how stuff holds up for me. I can never really tell until after I actually pick it up again. I got Bomerman Hero around the same with the same basic situation (hadn't played it since childhood). That game is pretty simple and mediocre, but I have fun playing it every once in a while. I couldn't say the same thing about Blue Brothers 2000 after playing it for about 10 minutes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

roffels posted:

There's a zif cable that can get dislodged or unseated in the 32x. Open it up and reseat it.

Can you follow up with a bit more info, please? Tried to search for "zif cable 32X fix" and just "zif cable sega 32X" and all I'm getting are hits about how unreliable and crappy the toaster NES was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MediumWellDone posted:

I'll always say X-Men for the NES. I spent way too much money on that terrible game.

For retrogame purchases I've made less than twenty-five years ago that I regret, I'm always looking for the weird and different so what I get bothered by is going to be different from most people. There was the train simulator which was just one subway line, at least I knew what I was getting when I purchased the Shinkansen edition of Densha de Go.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I just found a copy of Spiderman v Kingpin for the Sega CD. When I booted it up, I assumed it'd be a minor graphic upgrade/port from the Genesis version. It is not. Between the hilarious early 90s CG animated cutscenes, sleaze rock theme song that plays every five seconds, and the unnecessarily confusing mission map, this is a very different game. The Sega CD was weird.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

Can you follow up with a bit more info, please? Tried to search for "zif cable 32X fix" and just "zif cable sega 32X" and all I'm getting are hits about how unreliable and crappy the toaster NES was.

Inside the 32x there's a few ribbon cables that plugs into a board. He's saying unplug and plug it back in.

Those white cables are what he's talking about.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Agrias120 posted:

Please PM me, fellow turbo-nerd!

Check your PMs, fool!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

I've made a couple. The parts aren't expensive, you just need a cheap used copy of Stunt Race FX and an EPROM.

The real cost is in the time it takes to make. You have to remove the onboard surface mount chip without damaging the board, clean the pads, prepare 32 short jumper wires, solder them to the tiny pads and run them to the legs of the EPROM. Then you have to add in the finishing touches like cleaning the cart, removing the label, and then (if you want) printing out and applying a fancy new label.

There's a reason most places charge $80-$90 for a well done SF2 cart with all the trimmings.

Yeah, my previous post was more like who has an eprom burner and some spare time. :v:

I solder enough tiny joints at work but 32 is more than I usually do, even with tiny rear end surface mount resistors. The rest of the stuff (cleaning the cart, removing the label, etc)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

NPR did a little fluff piece on retro gaming this afternoon.

They also gave a nice shout-out to Save Point Video Games in Charlotte, N.C. which I will personally attest is a great shop.

Edit: Of course the piece ends with Pac Man Fever. :rolleyes:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I really, really loving hate Pac Man Fever. And I extra hate that I have to hear it at nearly every retro gaming themed event I end up attending. I would punch Buckner & Garcia in the face.

• Locked thread