Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

I actually didn't bother trying Epic Yarn's code, but both Wario Land: Shake It! and Rhythm Heaven Fever yielded codes.

I'm gradually amassing over 1000 coins, so now I'm starting to think about what I want to do with them. I deeply enjoyed the first two Brain Age games - anyone wanna' convince me not to grab Concentration Training for 600 coins?

Do you have every other 600 coin game on the list? I think you probably do, but my list in order of 600+ coins that I would use is:

- Wonderful 101
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Star Fox 64 3D
- New Super Mario Bros 2
- Kid Icarus
- Concentration Training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have 200 coins after getting Super Metroid/Earthbound. I have no idea what to get now; I have all the Marios.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

Do you have every other 600 coin game on the list? I think you probably do, but my list in order of 600+ coins that I would use is:

- Wonderful 101
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Star Fox 64 3D
- New Super Mario Bros 2
- Kid Icarus
- Concentration Training
I own every single one of those except NSMB2 and Concentration Training, and I absolutely do not want to get NSMB2, at all. Also it said I already registered my DSi but then gave me a 100-coin survey and now I'm just like I'll take it I guess?????

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mr E posted:

I have 200 coins after getting Super Metroid/Earthbound. I have no idea what to get now; I have all the Marios.

If you're into RPGs and haven't played Golden Sun, it's pretty good!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Counterpoint: Golden Sun is mediocre at best and its main selling points are looking pretty good for a GBA game and having a decent soundtrack. It was released at a point where it was the first and only "real" RPG for the system, and you're really only getting half the game, as The Lost Age pretty much picks up right where Golden Sun ends and you are very much expected to play both of them to get the full story. If you've got nothing else, it's fine, but don't set that bar too high or you're going to be disappointed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Artix posted:

Counterpoint: Golden Sun is mediocre at best and its main selling points are looking pretty good for a GBA game and having a decent soundtrack. It was released at a point where it was the first and only "real" RPG for the system, and you're really only getting half the game, as The Lost Age pretty much picks up right where Golden Sun ends and you are very much expected to play both of them to get the full story. If you've got nothing else, it's fine, but don't set that bar too high or you're going to be disappointed.

Eh, I like it. I'd rate it higher than mediocre. It definitely is only half of a game, though, story-wise.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Artix posted:

Played both of those when they came out, they were ok, not great.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Golden Sun was a game of its time, and only its time. The visuals were unreal since it was on the GBA and portable SNES-esque games at the time were mindblowing, the summons were rad, and the gameplay was kinda neat. Nothing about it holds up as something that is worth replaying outside nostalgia.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mr E posted:

DK '94 is probably the single best Gameboy game and holds up really well of you don't have that already.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Don't waste your coins on New Super Mario Bros 2. It is probably hands down the most boring Mario game I've ever played (and yes, I've played the edutainment Mario games)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Do not even ask posted:

Don't waste your coins on New Super Mario Bros 2. It is probably hands down the most boring Mario game I've ever played (and yes, I've played the edutainment Mario games)

Yeah New Super Mario Bros is pretty played out. The Wii one was fun at the time but now I'm sick of the whole direction... the visuals, the music, it's all blah.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It didn't help that the main gimmick for New Super Mario Bros 2 was 'collect coins!' which is a thing everyone already did anyway. It's like if they added a counter that told you how many times you jumped on enemies and based the level design around it so much in really bland, effortless ways that you just got tired of it.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I gave NSMB 2 another shot a few months back and liked it. I lost a lot of progress by failing to remember that the game doesn't save automatically, but the game can pretty fun when it's not being held up to ridiculous standards . It's definitely worse than its console counterparts but the 3DS has few side scrolling platformers in its library and if you can appreciate a B-tier Mario I would recommend it. All the other rewards tend to go on sale more often too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fremry posted:

Super Mario Sunshine 2

Quit playing games with my heart

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't really played NWMB2, but I 100% the first one after playing in spurts for months, and I quite enjoyed it. Running on water as mini-Luigi was fun. I'm pissed off that you have to unlock Luigi in 2 after you could just play him as a semi-secret in the first one. Yes, I'm well aware that he's just a palette swap; I'm weird that way.

Possibly a stupid question, but can you register an original DS (the rectangular one with the GBA slot) online for coins? I presume not, but I'd hate to miss out on coins. I bought a 3DSXL last year and received a Wii U as a gift, which were worth about 400 coins together, so I'd hate to leave a system's worth of coins on the table.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

less laughter posted:

Quit playing games with my heart

Ahhh, poo poo sorry. I watch a guy who speed runs SMS on twitch. I meant Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but can you register an original DS (the rectangular one with the GBA slot) online for coins? I presume not, but I'd hate to miss out on coins. I bought a 3DSXL last year and received a Wii U as a gift, which were worth about 400 coins together, so I'd hate to leave a system's worth of coins on the table.
Nah you can't even register a DS Lite. The DSi/XL are the earliest handhelds you can register.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Eh, I like it. I'd rate it higher than mediocre. It definitely is only half of a game, though, story-wise.

The gameplay is boring and unbalanced, the writing is atrocious, the characters are non-existent, the pacing is either glacial or nonsensical, the puzzle system is bland and repetitive, the dungeon layouts are uninspiring, visual design is good tho

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nah you can't even register a DS Lite. The DSi/XL are the earliest handhelds you can register.

Didn't think so. I would have bought a DSXL if they hadn't taken out the GBA compatibility. I bought a GBASP, the kind with the really good backlighting, basically just to play GB/SGB/GBC on; it actually fits my huge hands very poorly. If I want to play a GBA game portably, I use my DS Lite. If I want to play a DS game, I use my 3DS.

I may have too many portable systems.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought a GBASP, the kind with the really good backlighting,

It's actually a frontlight. I loved my GBA SP though. I think my highschool girlfriend wasn't very happy with how excited I was with it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Later models had a backlight, actually.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Later models had a backlight, actually.

Really? I guess that's what I got for being an early adopter.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They didn't come out until after the DS did, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fremry posted:

Really? I guess that's what I got for being an early adopter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultigonio posted:

I own every single one of those except NSMB2 and Concentration Training, and I absolutely do not want to get NSMB2, at all. Also it said I already registered my DSi but then gave me a 100-coin survey and now I'm just like I'll take it I guess?????

Concentration Training is actually awesome and worth looking at. It's challenges are mind melting and it has a ton of bonus games. It's also the only of these "brain training" games that I've played that I've actually felt some benefit from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Et_iDZK4Ec

Don't you want to be like this guy?;)

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 4, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Yes, I have the AGS-101 model that came out later, but the plastic shell is a black one from the earlier, frontlit model (AGS-001). I saw it on eBay and had to have it. The fantastic illumination of the later model but with the gorgeous black shell of the earlier model. Best of both worlds. It's great, really, because I can play games on it in a pitch-black room, and that's on the lower setting. The high illumination setting almost hurts me to look at it, plus it drains the batteries faster.

I was reading up on the annual Gold and Platinum rewards, and according to Nintendo's page those will be available to redeem from 1 April 2015 to 30 April 2015. I assume by this that they will make those available by the end of March, and I'm going to hold onto my coins then. I'd say that there is a very good chance that I buy Star Fox 3D with my coins, because that game is loving expensive. I can see myself spending 700 coins on it, but not real money. Sure, that does mean less retro games for 200/250 coins a go, but I can see myself dropping $8 or $10 on Star Fox 64 on Wii VC... I'm just too cheap to pay $40 for the 3DS remake.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How does Harmoknight stack up against Theatrhythm : Curtain Call?

I'm not sure if I want to wait for my post-play surveys to get Harmoknight or just get something cheaper now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Curtain Call is probably like one of the best rhythm games of all time

Harmoknight is ok

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ok, something cheaper it is then.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Concentration Training is actually awesome and worth looking at. It's challenges are mind melting and it has a ton of bonus games. It's also the only of these "brain training" games that I've played that I've actually felt some benefit from.
Awesome, thanks! I suppose it's even kind of perfect to get the game digitally, since it means I don't have to pop in a cart every time I want to start it up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How does Harmoknight stack up against Theatrhythm : Curtain Call?

I'm not sure if I want to wait for my post-play surveys to get Harmoknight or just get something cheaper now.

Theatrhythm is totally amazing and I've been playing a ton of it this past week. It's cute with great music. Harmoknight is underwhelming, short, has some control issues if you're going for top scores, and has single handedly the absolute most worst terrible stage I've ever experienced in a rhythm game.

you can trust me I have been playing a metric fuckload of rhythm games for the past decade

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3DS people, 3D Fantasy Zone will be out next week (February 12), $4.99 / 4.99EUR / 4.49GBP.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Finally started spending my Club Nintendo points. So far I've picked Super Mario Land, Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. After I get the coins for those games I should have around 370 coins left. I can't decide between F-Zero X, Doc Louis's Punchout, Majora's Mask, or Super Punchout. I've never played Super Punchout. The Doc Louis game looks kind of fun but I already have Wii Punchout so it of seems like that may be a waste. I'm hesitant to get Majora's Mask because I'll probably grab the 3ds remake. F-Zero X is a bunch of fun but I'm not sure how many times I'd actually play it. Any suggestions?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kaubocks posted:

Theatrhythm is totally amazing and I've been playing a ton of it this past week. It's cute with great music. Harmoknight is underwhelming, short, has some control issues if you're going for top scores, and has single handedly the absolute most worst terrible stage I've ever experienced in a rhythm game.

you can trust me I have been playing a metric fuckload of rhythm games for the past decade

I played the demos for each and I kinda liked Harmoknight more. Curtain Call felt like a boring version of Elite Beat Agents with less fun music for someone who isn't a FF fan. Harmoknight was charming and had a Pokemon song. Mostly though I want another EBA or Rhythm Heaven game.

Also, both games have demos so you can try them out!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Echoing this. It's incredibly challenging; unlike the first two Brain Ages where it just feels like you learn the quirks in the exercises to game the system.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Mr E posted:

Do you have Super Metroid or Super Punchout?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Green Puddin posted:

Do you have Super Metroid or Super Punchout?

may wanna read that post again man

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 5):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - €16.99 / £15.99 or €8.49/£7.99 if you own the 3DS version
    Alphadia Genesis - €14.99 / £11.99
    Frenchy Bird - €1.99 / £1.79
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    99Moves (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until February 12
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until February 12
    99Seconds (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until February 12
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones - €9.99 / £9.49 or €8.99 / £7.99 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    Lone Survivor: Director's Cut - €8.99 / £7.49 or €7.49 / £6.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    The Swapper - €10.99 / £8.99 or €9.49 / £7.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    Thomas Was Alone - €5.99 / £4.99 or €4.99 / £4.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - €16.99 / £15.99 or €8.49/£7.99 if you own the 3DS version
    Best of Arcade Games - Brick Breaker - €9.99 / £8.99
    Best of Board Games - Mahjong - €9.99 / £8.99
3DS MENU THEMES (February 6)
    NES Samus Aran - €1.99 / £1.79
    NES "Sword-Swinging Link" - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Cubit the Hardcore Platformer Robot (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.80 until February 8
    Dress to Play: Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 8
    Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 8

NA update (week of February 5):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - $39.99 (pre-load, unlocks on February 19)
WII U eSHOP GAMES
    Dolphin Up - $3.99
    Puzzle Monkeys - $2.99
    Tri-Strip - $1.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Majora's Mask Pack - $7.99
  • New adventure mode map with six new 8-bit weapons and 16 mask-inspired costumes
  • Two new characters (Tingle, Child Link)
  • Three new costumes (Skull Kid Lana, OOT Sheik, OOT Impa)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dig Dug (NES) - $4.99
    Mappy Land (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - $10.99 until February 12
    Lone Survivor: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - $8.99 until February 12
    The Swapper (Wii U eShop) - $14.99 until February 12
    Thomas Was Alone (Wii U eShop) - $6.99 until February 12
    Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge (Wii U) - $19.99 until February 12
    Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U) - $14.99 until February 16
    Assassin's Creed 4 (Wii U) - $22.49 until February 16
    Child of Light (Wii U eShop) - $11.24 until February 16
    Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until February 16
    ESPN Sports Connection (Wii U) - $12.49 until February 16
    Just Dance 2015 - (Wii U) - $29.99 until February 16
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U) - $14.99 until February 16
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - $12.49 until February 16
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - $19.99 until February 16
    Smurfs 2 (Wii U) - $19.99 until February 16
    Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U) - $14.99 until February 16
    WATCH_DOGS (Wii U) - $44.99 until February 16
    Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 (Wii U) - $12.49 until February 16
    ZombiU (Wii U) - $22.49 until February 16
    GetClose: A Game for RIVALS (Wii U eShop) - $2.99 until February 19

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Spongebob HeroPants - $29.99
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Kami - $2.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Moon Chronicles: Episodes 2/3/4 - $4.50 each or $9 for all three
  • Episode 2: Unknown Source
  • Episode 3: Surprise Visit
  • Episode 4: Home Sweet Home?
3DS MENU THEMES
    Colorful Game & Watch - $1.99
    NES Fire-Breathing Bowser - $1.99
    NES Fire Mario - $1.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GBC) - $3.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    TMNT: Danger of the Ooze (3DS) - $14.99 until February 6
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival (3DS) - $12.99 until February 6
    Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (3DS) - $7.49 until February 16
    Splinter Cell 3D (3DS) - $7.49 until February 16
    Tetris Ultimate (3DS) - $14.99 until February 16
    Rayman 3D (3DS) - $7.49 until February 16
    Rayman Origins (3DS) - $7.49 until February 16
    Rabbids Travel In Time 3D (3DS) - $7.49 until February 16
    Moon Chronicles: Episode 1 (3DS eShop) - $4.50 until February 26
    Code of Princess (3DS) - "on sale" from February 16
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - "on sale" from February 16
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends June 30.

FRENCHY BIRD!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA update (week of February 5):
Ok I know no one else in existence will care but gently caress yes Mappy Land I loved the poo poo out of that game as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I'm going to assume Flipnote Studios wont be getting an official release until it's giving out on Club Nintendo? It had said "This Week" on the site.