Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it takes too much work to get a Graverobber off the ground and I think Hellions serve the same purpose as Highwaymen (3 target aoe attack (with the Hellion's usable in any position), a 2 damage per round bleed (the Hellion's usable in all but the last position)), but with the 100 percent accurate stun that hits two enemies instead of the Highwayman's Knockback Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FrickenMoron posted:

I can see Bounty Hunters being super good with the mark and +100% damage stuff, also they are excellent at pulling in annoying assholes from the back. I also like the Hellion skill that attack the back. I don't like Lepers because of the horrible accuracy.

The real weakness of Lepers is that they don't have an attack that can hit the back row and they don't have a way to reposition and attack at the same time. Their accuracy is a problem but improving their gear or buffing them with a Jester's song can solve that.

Highwaymen I generally like to go the Duellist's Advance / Point Blank Shot route and put them in a party with other very mobile people (grave robber, Crusader with Holy Lance).

VV I think the easiest combo to make work is a Crusader with Holy Lance and a Highwayman with Open Vein, Duellist's Advance, and PBS. You can also try a grave robber with Shadow Fade and Lunge. The setup does work bare-bones but some dodge trinkets really help it shine.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 4, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My best guy is actually a highwayman. Can he really survive in the front spots? Whats a good party combination for the advance/point blank shot skills?

I usually went for grape shot. Also my Hellion has Rabies as "negative" quirk and I kept it on her because it gives +20% damage?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Everyone posting seems to have their Jesters as back-row minstrel buff support, but I've had very good results using mine as a front-line brawler. Slice Off and Harvest do excellent damage against anything vulnerable to bleeds, and Dirk Stab is perfect for leapfrogging a Crusader and setting up repeated Holy Lances. With the Jester's high natural dodge rate i've found his survivability is at least as great as the Crusader's, and his high crit ends up reducing group stress quite a bit. Kinda surprising that watching a clown hack people apart as he cackles like The Joker would actually calm my party down, but there you are.

My A-Team starts each fight with Jester in the front, typically opening with Slice Off on whatever squishy victim is in the third space. Crusader is right behind him, following up with a Holy Lance to either finish off the wounded target or skewer the one behind it. Bounty Hunter is versatile but ends up spamming Flashbang most of the time to stun+shuffle, and Vestal in the back either uses her stun or casts Judgement to finish off anything that's teetering on the brink. Once most of the enemies are dead, it's time to stunlock the last fool for a round or three while the Vestal heals up any damage that was sustained.

I've equipped the three relevant party members with trinkets that improve their chance for stuns to succeed, and they seem to have made a big difference. My stuns are landing pretty consistently on enemies that list a 70% or higher chance to resist. The Necromancer never got a chance to act -- just sucker punched him on the first round with Stunning Blow and steadily clubbed until he popped like a piņata.

Things are going shockingly well so far in the midgame, especially compared to the early expeditions. I typically end missions with sub-10 accumulated stress and haven't had anyone drop below half health in ages. We'll see how well my luck holds once I start tackling Red-level missions.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 4, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Walk into final room in dungeon 75% healed, full light. Get surprised, eat double crits, Vestal bleeds, Death's Door, dead from bleed. :negative:

:darkestdungeon:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Crits from bandits that hit everyone are bullshit, just saying.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

victrix posted:

Walk into final room in dungeon 75% healed, full light. Get surprised, eat double crits, Vestal bleeds, Death's Door, dead from bleed. :negative:

:darkestdungeon:

My closest thing to a wipe so far was a first-round surprise crit with a bleed proc on my vestal, who didn't make it to round 2. Everybody else got to Death's Door before I managed to run, and all three ended up gaining afflictions.

When Darkest Dungeon decides it's time to die, you will die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magitek posted:

Everyone posting seems to have their Jesters as back-row minstrel buff support, but I've had very good results using mine as a front-line brawler. Slice Off and Harvest do excellent damage against anything vulnerable to bleeds, and Dirk Stab is perfect for leapfrogging a Crusader and setting up repeated Holy Lances. With the Jester's high natural dodge rate i've found his survivability is at least as great as the Crusader's, and his high crit ends up reducing group stress quite a bit. Kinda surprising that watching a clown hack people apart as he cackles like The Joker would actually calm my party down, but there you are.

My A-Team starts each fight with Jester in the front, typically opening with Slice Off on whatever squishy victim is in the third space. Crusader is right behind him, following up with a Holy Lance to either finish off the wounded target or skewer the one behind him. Bounty Hunter is versatile but ends up spamming Flashbang most of the time to stun+shuffle, and Vestal in the back either uses her stun or casts Judgement to finish off anything that's teetering on the brink. Once most of the enemies are dead, it's time to stunlock the last fool for a round or three while the Vestal heals up any damage that was sustained.

I've equipped the three relevant party members with trinkets that improve their chance for stuns to succeed, and they seem to have made a big difference. My stuns are landing pretty consistently on enemies that list a 70% or higher chance to resist. The Necromancer never got a chance to act -- just sucker punched him on the first round with Stunning Blow and steadily clubbed until he popped like a piņata.

Things are going shockingly well so far in the midgame, especially compared to the early expeditions. I typically end missions with sub-10 accumulated stress and haven't had anyone drop below half health in ages. We'll see how well my luck holds once I start tackling Red-level missions.

Agreed to all of this, except somehow you left off the best reason for having a Jester in your front line! :cheeky:

SOLO! The solo ability can be stupid good. You start the battle with Jester in front, and have him play solo once or twice, which debuffs the enemy team like crazy. Then you do a slice off, and then you have your crusaders start holy lancing like crazy. When the Jester is shuffled to the back, have him play stress reduction songs.

Its pretty effective.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
In the final hero window after a dungeon run (where heroes gain resolve xp), does it show new traits your heroes gained after the dungeon, or is it a summary of all the traits gained during that run (plus new ones)?
If the first, what is it based on? I get why your heroes gets Bad Cramps or another disease from being vomited on, but some of the traits in the resolve window seem extremely random?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed to all of this, except somehow you left off the best reason for having a Jester in your front line! :cheeky:

SOLO! The solo ability can be stupid good. You start the battle with Jester in front, and have him play solo once or twice, which debuffs the enemy team like crazy. Then you do a slice off, and then you have your crusaders start holy lancing like crazy. When the Jester is shuffled to the back, have him play stress reduction songs.

Its pretty effective.

I've been wondering about solo. On paper it looks good as a mass debuff, but unlike other debuffs it doesn't appear to stack with itself, and -ACC debuffs are odd anyway because (at least against PC's) they can't lower ACC below the attack's base value. SO I'm not sure that Solo actually *does* anything. On the other hand, the stress debuff is great, the Battle Song is *amazing* especially once it gets levelled up (+crit is the best buff in the game imho). The normal layout I run now is Battle, Stress, Lunge, and Slice.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its pretty effective.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but my attempts at using Solo haven't been too effective. It has a decent chance to miss/be dodged, the debuff has an even higher chance to be resisted, and -10 Acc is probably only going to make the difference if they're attacking a target that already has a low chance to be struck (e.g. the Jester). Eliminating a target one round faster usually pays bigger dividends more consistently, in my experience.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been wondering about solo. On paper it looks good as a mass debuff, but unlike other debuffs it doesn't appear to stack with itself, and -ACC debuffs are odd anyway because (at least against PC's) they can't lower ACC below the attack's base value. SO I'm not sure that Solo actually *does* anything. On the other hand, the stress debuff is great, the Battle Song is *amazing* especially once it gets levelled up (+crit is the best buff in the game imho). The normal layout I run now is Battle, Stress, Lunge, and Slice.

I have the feeling solo doesn't do a thing unless the enemy uses something to buff their own accuracy first. Also enemies, even low dungeon level ones, seem to have really high debuff resistance compared to stun, bleed or blight resistance. Debuffs fail extremely often in my experience, while stuns are where the resistances say they should be (usually 3/4 or 1/2 in early dungeons).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magitek posted:

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but my attempts at using Solo haven't been too effective. It has a decent chance to miss/be dodged, the debuff has an even higher chance to be resisted, and -10 Acc is probably only going to make the difference if they're attacking a target that already has a low chance to be struck (e.g. the Jester). Eliminating a target one round faster usually pays bigger dividends more consistently, in my experience.

Fair enough, I've been running a blitz Hellion / Hellion strategy myself for the most part so I haven't really tested it a lot. I only did the Jester / Crusader / Crusader thing a couple times but it seemed to work out well then.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This bug with the Sanitarium not removing the proper trait is annoying. I've spent three weeks now trying to get Lockjaw off my Crusader.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which bad traits are something that needs to be removed asap? I don't really care too much about some really specific ones or - dodge on a guy that has 0 base dodge.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Broken Cog posted:

This bug with the Sanitarium not removing the proper trait is annoying. I've spent three weeks now trying to get Lockjaw off my Crusader.

Is it actually a bug? I was under the impression that there was a non-zero chance of the wrong debuff being removed.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Well I made a bit of a comeback from the no cash. Also just got a bracer that gives +20% damage and +5% crit but =6 accuracy. That is ridic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Which bad traits are something that needs to be removed asap? I don't really care too much about some really specific ones or - dodge on a guy that has 0 base dodge.

Mutually exclusive traits are the worst. Like if he has 'hero of the light' and some other trait I can't remember right now that makes you worse in high-light conditions, or things like the trait that says they will only drink in town combined with the trait that says they will only use the brothel. Result is that they can't use either, until you get one or the other gone.

It'd be nice if they gave you 2 exclusive options instead of making it so nothing works. Like in that scenario it'd be cool if you could pick from the bar or the brothel, instead of neither.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it actually a bug? I was under the impression that there was a non-zero chance of the wrong debuff being removed.

Then it really should at least comment on it or mention it anywhere, because as it stands it sure seems like a bug.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I was pumped until I realized his only Bleed is on his healing skill. :saddowns: Hands From The Abyss is his stun and it has a 10% crit bonus so maybe that's viable.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mo_Steel posted:

I was pumped until I realized his only Bleed is on his healing skill. :saddowns: Hands From The Abyss is his stun and it has a 10% crit bonus so maybe that's viable.

A shame about the class restriction. That thing would be totally bonkers on a Hellion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magitek posted:

A shame about the class restriction. That thing would be totally bonkers on a Hellion.

Yeah, that's probably why it has a class restriction. The bleed buff is actually a downside, so it looks better than it is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mo_Steel posted:

Yeah, I made a post in the steam bug forums about several bugged trinkets but I think it got lost in the flood of "waaaah this game costs a whole twenty dollars" whining.

quote:

Cursed Buckle gives Highwaymen +20% chance to Stun Skills, +20% chance to Blight skills, -16% Stun Resist, and -12% Blight Resist. Highwaymen don't have blight or stun skills.

WOunding Helmet gives Bounty Hunters +15% to Bleed skills. Bounty Hunters don't have Bleed skills.

The occultists' trinket "Cursed Incense" (as well as a few other Occultist class trinkets) gives +15% to Bleed skills . . .which makes the bleed on their Heal harder to resist and thus actively worse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How does everyone treat newbie heroes with 100 stress but positive traits? I have a level 0 Hellion who has 3 good quirks. She went on a failed run though and ended up with 100 stress. Let her go or invest some money?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FrickenMoron posted:

I can see Bounty Hunters being super good with the mark and +100% damage stuff, also they are excellent at pulling in annoying assholes from the back. I also like the Hellion skill that attack the back. I don't like Lepers because of the horrible accuracy.

Bounty hunter works extra well with Occultists since both of them can pull back rows. On top of that, Occultist can mark tough enemies for the BH and has a sick -damage debuff for enemies that hit really hard.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FrickenMoron posted:

How does everyone treat newbie heroes with 100 stress but positive traits? I have a level 0 Hellion who has 3 good quirks. She went on a failed run though and ended up with 100 stress. Let her go or invest some money?

Sounds like she's worth keeping (depending on said quirks). Pop her in the Abbey/Inn for a bit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Ideally you should be focusing on upgrading one of the stress relievers all the way; I prefer the Bar first. Once you've done so getting rid of 100 stress isn't so expensive, so its easier to justify.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks for the info. Another question for th Perk Unerring (+10 ranged), ive got it on a Hellion... does this mean any skills that hit the back row or what?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Thanks for the info. Another question for th Perk Unerring (+10 ranged), ive got it on a Hellion... does this mean any skills that hit the back row or what?

If you look at the skills, it says melee or ranged.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why complain about the $20 price tag? I've gotten more than $20 of enjoyment out of it already and its not even a done game. People dumb.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Reason posted:

Why complain about the $20 price tag? I've gotten more than $20 of enjoyment out of it already and its not even a done game. People dumb.

Steam sales have made people cheap as hell.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

You have to click on the skill you want removed. It defaults to the top of the list, and is not random. You put guy in, you select skill you want removed, buy. So if you have 4 traits in the list that are negative and Lockjaw isn't the top one listed it's going to default to the top of the list one first.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Reason posted:

Apparently they had a $15 kickstarter tier that didn't include Early Access. Game comes out on Steam EA, lots of people buy it for $20 and start playing immediately, backers are pissed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im in support of dicking over early access backers of anything for any reason so im glad of it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FrickenMoron posted:

Some skills are labelled "ranged" or "melee."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eonwe posted:

im in support of dicking over early access backers of anything for any reason so im glad of it

Yeah gently caress those guys who funded the game I'm playing :downs:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So every time I beat a dungeon it looks like the difficulty level increases. Is it possible to get to a point where I can no longer have a reasonable chance at winning if I wipe and my new recruits are too weak to enter even the first dungeon?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You have to click on the skill you want removed. It defaults to the top of the list, and is not random. You put guy in, you select skill you want removed, buy. So if you have 4 traits in the list that are negative and Lockjaw isn't the top one listed it's going to default to the top of the list one first.

Of course, I know that you have to actually select the skill you want to remove, but sometimes it just removes the top skill no matter if you chose another one or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys who funded the game I'm playing :downs:

entitled early access people suck poo poo so i unironically agree with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Time_pants posted:

So every time I beat a dungeon it looks like the difficulty level increases. Is it possible to get to a point where I can no longer have a reasonable chance at winning if I wipe and my new recruits are too weak to enter even the first dungeon?

Devs say that there will always be an apprentice level dungeon available.
Edit::goonsay:

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

You'll always have at least one Level 1 mission available.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 4, 2015