Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Amante posted:

In ESO or TSW? If you mean TSW, there's more shops than you think. A lot of times, a "shop" is just a guy or two standing around somewhere random, without it being immediately obvious that they're vendors unless you get closer and see the use prompt. They are shown on the minimap, though.

Ideally you'd be able to sell/repair at any sentient quest-giver, but alas...

There is like 1-2 shops per zone, that's what I was talking about. Zones are pretty big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

There is like 1-2 shops per zone, that's what I was talking about. Zones are pretty big.

If you somehow manage to get 30 veteran tokens (through your subscription or giving several buddy passes that result in a game purchase) you can buy an item called the reconstructor. This handy tricket gives you a reusable clickie item that acts as a repair station on an hour cool down, it will also incur the normal repair fees. If you don't plan on subscribing or force feeding buddy passes, then never mind (I do understand not spending more money on this game then necessary)

Frankenstein Dad posted:

But yeah, the link should probably be removed from the OP like you said. I'll switch it to the free mode next time it lapses, just in case someone wants to look at all the threads about white cisgender males being sub-human scum.

I moved the link to the offsite forums to the useful links section, with a blurb that it is effectively dead.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 31, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Saman posted:

With the changes to the main quest that came with issue 9, you should, if i recall, be able to go to your faction headquarters and accept the faction missions somewhere in there? They made a big thing of the change to how the main story missions worked when it launched, i could have sworn that was one of the highlights of that.

You sure about this? I know people have wanted the feature for a while but I don't recall it coming in.

I went to Illuminati HQ and did a quick look around the New York zone and didn't see anything new.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

DancingShade posted:

You sure about this? I know people have wanted the feature for a while but I don't recall it coming in.

I went to Illuminati HQ and did a quick look around the New York zone and didn't see anything new.

It looks like I was wrong about that, upon consulting TSWDB and some searching, you can redo the main story missions but the faction missions interspersed between zones are nonrepeatable, the only way to do them again is to make a new character.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can redo the Issue 9 & 10 story missions if thats what you were referring to?

I don't think I can face off against Beaumont in the Academy again though, or watch Cassie steal his fancy letter opener.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Saman posted:

It looks like I was wrong about that, upon consulting TSWDB and some searching, you can redo the main story missions but the faction missions interspersed between zones are nonrepeatable, the only way to do them again is to make a new character.

I didn't think the templar transylvania intro mission was that good. The boss you fight is pretty annoying, they should of turned that into a sweet investigation mission instead. All the issues stories were great, the first one in Kingsmouth was amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The rear end in a top hat posted:

The opening tutorial sequences in the training areas of the factions have been upgraded to teach new players to use two weapons.

Surprising absolutely nobody they've decided that just maybe they should uncut the tutorial bit. They're also nerfing mobs so that players can kill them faster and ak'ab because they're ak'ab.

Adding in "new" (read: cut from launch) achievements based around sabotage missions for not being seen.

FAST TRAVEL ADDED. No longer will you have to die just to fast travel.

quote:

But in addition, we wanted to convey the sheer size of the Orochi tower. A building like this deserves some attention and the eight different companies that makes up the Orochi tower each deserve their fair share of screen time. But how to do it? We can’t simply force you to visit every floor of the tower on your way to the top.

Instead we chose to draw upon some of our favorite rogue-like mechanics and your progress through the building will be randomized. This means that there are 512 unique ways in which you will experience your journey from the bottom to the top of Orochi tower.

Good idea? In Funcoms hands? gently caress no. This is going to be a trainwreck.

quote:

We are creating group versions of the major boss fights for Issue #11, with additional abilities and loot for those of you who prefer to tackle the content as a team. The earlier planned dungeon will be pushed into a later update.

Surprising nobody the dungeon is pushed back.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_letter_february_2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These changes are pretty good, except they should've been done a year or two ago. Before everyone who was interested tried TSW, liked the atmosphere but disliked the gameplay and quit already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

These changes are pretty good, except they should've been done a year or two ago. Before everyone who was interested tried TSW, liked the atmosphere but disliked the gameplay and quit already.

Seriously. It sounds like they're really trying to overhaul the clunky bits but it's too little too late.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Better late than Firefall.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

It also stepped up in difficulty quite quickly, where it increased from 7 seconds to 25 seconds to kill a monster between Kingsmouth and Blue Mountain.

It's like they've known the whole time but somebody is just now telling them to unfuck this poo poo. Who at Funcom suddenly decided they like having people play the game past the second zone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bombogenesis posted:

It's like they've known the whole time but somebody is just now telling them to unfuck this poo poo. Who at Funcom suddenly decided they like having people play the game past the second zone?

Hint: It isn't Mr. Bylos.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Len posted:

Seriously. It sounds like they're really trying to overhaul the clunky bits but it's too little too late.

This is the exact same poo poo they did with Age of Conan.

Step 1: Release game with awesome atmosphere that is broken as gently caress
Step 2: Minimal updates for an extended period of time (1 year+)
Step 3: Fix everything that should have been fixed at launch after 90% of your player base is gone
Step 4: Get enough new player and returning players because of the changes to rebuild some goodwill
Step 5: Announce brand new over ambitious game with a unique setting

Repeat every 3-5 years.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 5, 2015

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
This is announced the same day that I purchase the game after my trial expired.

Coincidence? I think not.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got an email from Funcom today (probably a bunch of you did too) 'A Lifetime of Awesomeness Awaits You!'. Trying to entice me to purchase 'Grand master access' for a game I quit playing in the second zone and which they have not fixed, just promised to fix. In true Funcom style they don't even tell you what this exciting opportunity is going to cost.
Since my first contact with Funcom in the Anarchy Online beta (what a fabulous hosed up mess that was) they've consistently acted the same way. Someone must be seriously desperate if they think they can hit up people they burned already for fresh cash.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ratzap posted:

I got an email from Funcom today (probably a bunch of you did too) 'A Lifetime of Awesomeness Awaits You!'. Trying to entice me to purchase 'Grand master access' for a game I quit playing in the second zone and which they have not fixed, just promised to fix. In true Funcom style they don't even tell you what this exciting opportunity is going to cost.
Since my first contact with Funcom in the Anarchy Online beta (what a fabulous hosed up mess that was) they've consistently acted the same way. Someone must be seriously desperate if they think they can hit up people they burned already for fresh cash.

I checked the price just for fun and it's 200 bucks :D

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't make fun of grandmasters. They'll get new updates worth 10 bucks every month or three - only 20 months to pay off!

There are 10 issues out, halfway there I guess :haw:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

orcane posted:

Don't make fun of grandmasters. They'll get new updates worth 10 bucks every month or three - only 20 months to pay off!

There are 10 issues out, halfway there I guess :haw:

I believe you also get a free item-of-the-month and special veteran points that you can buy a couple of things with.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I bought Grandmaster when I picked up the game, some Christmas after the free to play conversion and I haven't regretted it. Sure they could've done more with it but I got a bunch of free points and cool poo poo every month to pick up lots of stuff to dress up with. Was an okay purchase but I wouldn't pick it up now with the way things have been going.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I believe you also get a free item-of-the-month and special veteran points that you can buy a couple of things with.

You do. Whether that's worth a subscription is up to the individual of course. Also I like how "special edition" issues have become a thing. Hey you, get enough points to buy the new issue for "free". Or rather spend another month on it for the special edition. :woop:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

You do. Whether that's worth a subscription is up to the individual of course. Also I like how "special edition" issues have become a thing. Hey you, get enough points to buy the new issue for "free". Or rather spend another month on it for the special edition. :woop:

Because people like us goons who don't care about the new ugly costumes in the cash shop have fuckloads of points. They gotta give us something to spend them on.

My opinion grandmaster isn't worth it at this stage. Back when the game launched and it seemed like there was real potential that wasn't going to be wasted it did. But by the launch of issue 6 I regretted it.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Grandmaster feels like a kind of thing that would have been useful at launch but now doesn't really feel worth it. Though at launch you would have had no idea how the game would turn out and buying it is a complete crap-shoot so, eh.
Also, the difficulty spike once I got to japan has made this game kinda crummy and I am disliking this area a lot :(. Everything up till now was mostly easily doable with my friend and soaking in the atmosphere while running around with him was really fun but now we both can barely kill dudes and everything wrecks us.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grandmaster was generally okay in the first months when the game was still subscription based, but after you already encountered both the promise and flaws - if you really liked it, play forever, right? Until around half a year after it went B2P, because the released issues were good and the idea of getting like 20 new ones like them for "free" could be justified. Since then the glacial pace of fixes and issue releases, and the stellar Whispering Tides content as well as a million golem events probably taught everyone that it might be smarter to never subscribe, or to just subscribe for a month each issue or w/e.

And yeah I totally wasted my points on useless special editions of DLC because I have all the pretty princess dresses I wanted (and never wear).

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I just burned my way through Blue Mountain and realized there's probably a Goon thread for this game. Now I really, really wish I'd waited to start this game until after the changes in that dev letter go through.

Whatever, I'm already done with those bullshit ak'ab and that loving Moon Bog. Egypt is a loving breath of fresh air after that horseshit. It wasn't even hard, just annoying and really, really showing the limit of the solo combat.

Anyways, at this point, as blade/chaos (switching to blade/blood) in Q7/8, can I solo Polaris and the other solomon dungeon? Didn't get to do them.

edit: nm switching blade/blood, really wish I hadn't put that many points in blood. I don't think my stats are high enough to make this work

Degs fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2015

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Degs posted:

I just burned my way through Blue Mountain and realized there's probably a Goon thread for this game. Now I really, really wish I'd waited to start this game until after the changes in that dev letter go through.

Whatever, I'm already done with those bullshit ak'ab and that loving Moon Bog. Egypt is a loving breath of fresh air after that horseshit. It wasn't even hard, just annoying and really, really showing the limit of the solo combat.

Anyways, at this point, as blade/chaos (switching to blade/blood) in Q7/8, can I solo Polaris and the other solomon dungeon? Didn't get to do them.

edit: nm switching blade/blood, really wish I hadn't put that many points in blood. I don't think my stats are high enough to make this work

You might have a bit of an issue soloing polaris until you in q10.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thwoompa, I am glad you are not dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Thwoompa, I am glad you are not dead.

:agreed: even if we got in petty goon arguments it's good to see you aren't dead.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Degs posted:

I recommend finding groups for dungeons-- they're a lot of fun. Blade/blood is one of the best survival builds you can run (I highly recommend you speccing this build for solo content: http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/survival-build-blood-magic-blade/)

Consequently leveling up blade means that you can start to queue up s a tank in party finder, which means that you will actually be able to stat a party a lot faster than if you were just a dps.

E: If you're going to try to tank read this http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?72748-Ciritty-s-Pink-Tanking-guide-%28Not-furry%29

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I just approved a couple lost souls who applied for the offsite forums. Outside of some Easter eggs dug out of the game files, the guides and builds are horribly out of date. What worked last year mostly likely doesn't work now.

The nightmare dungeon guides should still be useful though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I've got some ancient build and probably trash gear by any current standard, how much could I expect to get around just to do Investigation missions? I loved those and I'd love to see what else has been added but I don't really have any interest in having to relearn the combat system just so I don't get ganked running around.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I recommend finding groups for dungeons-- they're a lot of fun. Blade/blood is one of the best survival builds you can run (I highly recommend you speccing this build for solo content: http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/survival-build-blood-magic-blade/)

Consequently leveling up blade means that you can start to queue up s a tank in party finder, which means that you will actually be able to stat a party a lot faster than if you were just a dps.

E: If you're going to try to tank read this http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?72748-Ciritty-s-Pink-Tanking-guide-%28Not-furry%29

Well drat, that first build is pretty much what I switched to except for the Stunning Swirl and Blood Shield (was using Cardiac Arrest and Turn the Tables instead).

I uh....didn't realize there was a LFG tool, though.

Whoops.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Degs posted:

Whoops.

I don't remember seeing it pop up in patch notes but it was not very good when I still played.

Len fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 6, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Degs posted:

Well drat, that first build is pretty much what I switched to except for the Stunning Swirl and Blood Shield (was using Cardiac Arrest and Turn the Tables instead).

Whoops.

Don't take any build as gospel. The core of that build is impairs + guts&glory and getting penetrates other stuff is mostly flavor. Regeneration is a good passive to consider.

The fun of the game is all the solo content (story is really well done) and figuring out dungeons with other people. The LFG always worked well for me. You should also join the chats #sanctuary and #noobmares, when it's appropriate.

Still pushing you to develop a tank build. Ciritty's tank guide builds damage on head, 1 major, & 1 minor talisman. The other items go tank. This is really convenient for tokyo because leeching doesn't work well there and you still do damage. I'm not full build yet and I'm starting to out-damage dedicated dps people with less gear.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Beef "CultureToilet" Wellington has been rolled on Grim. Add me, y'all! :sax:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So I feel like if anyone would know, you guys would. Is there a way to find out what account a character is on, and/or what other characters they have? Without dropping names, someone in the RP community is making a very, very big deal about leaving the entire community while not actually leaving it, due to alleged harassment going back months-to-maybe-a-year that not one person that has ever actually seen. They've now publicized a tell from an obvious alt (killed twenty zombies and that's it), and I'm suspicious enough to want to find out who actually sent it.

As far as I know, there's no way to actually confirm this, but there might be weird little quirks of the account/chat system that I don't know that would be able to spill that info.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

So I feel like if anyone would know, you guys would. Is there a way to find out what account a character is on, and/or what other characters they have? Without dropping names, someone in the RP community is making a very, very big deal about leaving the entire community while not actually leaving it, due to alleged harassment going back months-to-maybe-a-year that not one person that has ever actually seen. They've now publicized a tell from an obvious alt (killed twenty zombies and that's it), and I'm suspicious enough to want to find out who actually sent it.

As far as I know, there's no way to actually confirm this, but there might be weird little quirks of the account/chat system that I don't know that would be able to spill that info.

Might just be someone like me who rolled up an alt on a RP server just to stalk around and make fun of people while wearing a horse mask. I think you had to get at least to the police station in order to have free reign of the game though.

Then again the TSW RP community being what it is you're probably right.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Bought this game when it was on sale do investigations differ when you're a different faction.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Fat_Cow posted:

Bought this game when it was on sale do investigations differ when you're a different faction.

Breathe.

Only the end-of-mission texts vary (for every mission, not just investigations). Each faction gets a few faction-specific missions (the intro, one between each zone) and a different perspective on a few story missions that pop up as you gain faction rank, but the structure of capital-I Investigations doesn't change at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Len posted:

Might just be someone like me who rolled up an alt on a RP server just to stalk around and make fun of people while wearing a horse mask. I think you had to get at least to the police station in order to have free reign of the game though.

Then again the TSW RP community being what it is you're probably right.

the publicized PM is close enough to what people have actually been saying to him ('dude, why are you even still here if your entire experience is agony, it's not hard to stop') that it's clear that whoever said it at least understands the situation, although it's unnecessarily hostile in comparison to what people have actually said. So it's not just some random rear end in a top hat (no offense to you random assholes).

The tell is written like how the alleged harass-ee would write it, but his sentence structure isn't telltale enough for that to be a giveaway itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Cleretic posted:

the publicized PM is close enough to what people have actually been saying to him ('dude, why are you even still here if your entire experience is agony, it's not hard to stop') that it's clear that whoever said it at least understands the situation, although it's unnecessarily hostile in comparison to what people have actually said. So it's not just some random rear end in a top hat (no offense to you random assholes).

The tell is written like how the alleged harass-ee would write it, but his sentence structure isn't telltale enough for that to be a giveaway itself.

Post everything.

• Locked thread