Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ruzihm posted:

Devs say that there will always be an apprentice level dungeon available.

Does that mean "when the game is finished" or "as of right now"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

welp, starting dungeon wiped out two teams. Gonna stop playing this for a while, it's completely loving unfair.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HogX posted:

welp, starting dungeon wiped out two teams. Gonna stop playing this for a while, it's completely loving unfair.

lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I beat the necromancer by keeping him stun locked with my vestal and bounty hunter, then bled him to death with my highway man and hellion. Sometimes a good team just clicks together.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Time_pants posted:

I saw it said earlier in the thread and for some reason I thought it had quoted/linked a dev saying it. :downs: I guess not.

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

You'll always have at least one Level 1 mission available.

That's all I've got.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Time_pants posted:

So every time I beat a dungeon it looks like the difficulty level increases. Is it possible to get to a point where I can no longer have a reasonable chance at winning if I wipe and my new recruits are too weak to enter even the first dungeon?

As you level through the dungeon you unlock the later and harder and higher level parts of it, but you continue to have the low-level missions available. You just have more quests available overall.

Time_pants posted:

I've always had one. I'm not done with the game so far but it hasn't been an issue.

HogX posted:

Its very very likely that you're ignoring game mechanics that you can't ignore.

Also don't be afraid to retreat from your first few quests, nothing is guaranteed in this game. If you get some treasure before you withdraw you can still come out net very positive.

Git gud scrub.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HogX posted:

I hate to keep flogging my guide but read my guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

You're almost certainly making basic strategic errors without realizing it. The game is (mostly) fair, it's just very unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand the way most modern games do.

On the other hand if you have read the guide and are still having problems please let me know so I can fix my guide!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 4, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Holy poo poo my Highwayman just was on deaths door, by far my best guy so far... this game. For trinkets, do you always go for +dmg etc?

None of these quirks needs any immediate removal I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate to keep flogging my guide but read my guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

You're almost certainly making basic strategic errors without realizing it. The game is (mostly) fair, it's just very unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand the way most modern games do.

On the other hand if you have read the guide and are still having problems please let me know so I can fix my guide!

excellent guide, thank you

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zaphod42 posted:

As you level through the dungeon you unlock the later and harder and higher level parts of it, but you continue to have the low-level missions available. You just have more quests available overall.

I've always had one. I'm not done with the game so far but it hasn't been an issue.

Awesome. Then I won't worry about the dungeon outleveling me. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FrickenMoron posted:

For trinkets, do you always go for +dmg etc?

Uh, no? There's no one size fits all strategy for trinkets. Different classes play better with different things. I give my vestal a +defense -accuracy trinket because she mostly just heals. I give my highwayman a -hp +crit +dodge trinket because he can dodge like a madman.

We were just discussing recently how some trinkets seem pretty bad, and how we're not sure if negative traits are applied if you're at 0 for a certain stat. It seems like the way to game things, I gave a trinket with -dodge to my leper who has like no dodge anyways. But maybe that secretly makes it go negative?

Seriously though everybody please go read Hieronymous Alloy's guide before posting. Lots of the same questions getting repeated page after page.

Time_pants posted:

Awesome. Then I won't worry about the dungeon outleveling me. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Yeah I wouldn't worry. Failing and Dying a lot are a part of the game, so I don't think it really rushes you. If anything some of the better players are complaining there isn't more pressure to level up and push deeper into the dungeons, you can kinda farm the low level dungeons if you want. As heroes level up they'll refuse to go on missions that are too far below them, but nothing stops you from hiring new ones. New heroes are always FREE, so most of us end up hiring and ditching some low level heroes to make some spare cash or to pass time so our A-team can recover in town.

The game is definitely a meat-grinder for adventurers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does scouting work? It's a flat chance to happen in every room, or can I trigger it somehow?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

How does scouting work? It's a flat chance to happen in every room, or can I trigger it somehow?

I think your adventurers have a scouting chance on their character sheet, but I can't remember for sure.

Its a chance to occur on each room, and you can also trigger it sometimes by finding a map (inside a bookshelf usually)

Higher light level gives a bonus to scouting, I believe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just had two members of my main party all up and wander out of town while removing stress. My Highwayman was at the brothel and his debauchery reached new heights, whereabouts unknown. My Vestal got drunk and blacked out, and wandered out of town. At the same time, my main Hellion lost her trinkets somehow (it just says [<str_(null_remove_trinket_story>]).

The dungeon's not too scary anymore but this town is too much for me :mad:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I love this game but something it's just plain unfair.

My best adventurer has full health and a spiffy expensive new trinket. At the start of a battle, and with no point where I have any control...
->he gets hit with 2 crits putting him at deaths door + blighted
->takes his turn next and takes a deathblow from the blight

Rest of the party shits their pants and I end up having to retreat. I had a good start to the campaign but this is huge setback considering I'm only on week 8.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taratang posted:

I love this game but something it's just plain unfair.

My best adventurer has full health and a spiffy expensive new trinket. At the start of a battle, and with no point where I have any control...
->he gets hit with 2 crits putting him at deaths door + blighted
->takes his turn next and takes a deathblow from the blight

Rest of the party shits their pants and I end up having to retreat. I had a good start to the campaign but this is huge setback considering I'm only on week 8.

Actually yeah sometimes the game just fucks you straight up. It's like X-Com in that respect.

Still with new players it's *generally* that you're doing something like forgetting about your torch level.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Noon on a Wednesday, like 15+ thousand people watching on Twitch during Early Access. Good stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, I got critted 3 times in a row on my leper which caused a mood spiral & everyone's resolve being tested one after another and two of them went paranoid which is my least favorite mood by far

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Actually yeah sometimes the game just fucks you straight up. It's like X-Com in that respect.

Still with new players it's *generally* that you're doing something like forgetting about your torch level.

Like XCOM, Darkest Dungeon's randomness sometimes decides to gently caress you. Also like XCOM, the game gives you the tools you need to help prevent disaster and lets you bounce back when disaster does strike.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I just had two members of my main party all up and wander out of town while removing stress. My Highwayman was at the brothel and his debauchery reached new heights, whereabouts unknown. My Vestal got drunk and blacked out, and wandered out of town. At the same time, my main Hellion lost her trinkets somehow (it just says [<str_(null_remove_trinket_story>]).

The dungeon's not too scary anymore but this town is too much for me :mad:

Yeah I paid like 9000 for a trinket and my Vestal lost it like on week later. Ugggh. Really hits you below the belt.

The <str_(null_remove_trinket_story> is just a missing text string, it would say something like "got robbed and lost her ______" or "ended up pawning _____ for more gambling money" or something.

Early Access means its not completely refined. On the bright side, the only place I've seen missing strings is because of that; some random town event where you lose a trinket.

In fact you could probably dig into the JSON and fix that yourself...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Like XCOM, Darkest Dungeon's randomness sometimes decides to gently caress you. Also like XCOM, the game gives you the tools you need to help prevent disaster and lets you bounce back when disaster does strike.

I hope they start adding the town events that they've talked about into the game soon, that sounds pretty rad. I do kind of wish this game had a 'doom tracker' equivalent where you could actually lose the game but it's by no means necessary.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay so I lied I made a new game. I got a highway man with both point blank AND the lunge attack and holy poo poo it's such a good combo. Hellion in the front, he lunges, she'll attack, he'll point black shot behind her, rinse and repeat.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

S.J. posted:

I do kind of wish this game had a 'doom tracker' equivalent where you could actually lose the game but it's by no means necessary.

Especially since "soon, The Stars Will Be Right" type shenanigans is a cornerstone of Lovecraftian stuff.

I'd just like to be able to see initiative order, I feel like it's kind of hard to plan at present.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

Especially since "soon, The Stars Will Be Right" type shenanigans is a cornerstone of Lovecraftian stuff.

I'd just like to be able to see initiative order, I feel like it's kind of hard to plan at present.

Agreed on the initiative. Not necessarily for the enemies, but I'd like to see in what order my own guys are acting so I can know whether or not it's okay to buff someone this round, etc.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Is anyone else having to deal with a strange performance bug where the game hitches/freezes when you mouse over trinkets (and certain other inventory items)? The game has completely hard locked and crashed twice already because of this issue; luckily I was in town both times so everything was saved but I am afraid that it will crash when I'm in a dungeon. Send help, this is damaging my stress irl.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I think showing initiative would take a something away from the fights. No more tension about "oh poo poo will my healers get a chance to save that guy "

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bobo the Red posted:

I think showing initiative would take a something away from the fights. No more tension about "oh poo poo will my healers get a chance to save that guy "

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A lot of the tension comes from not knowing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A lot of the tension comes from not knowing.

That's certainly a legitimate design decision, but I just want to know what order my own guys are acting in, not the enemies order in the round or when their actions occur.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Can you use pulls on the Hag?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Always plan for the worst possible initiative order. Don't weaken enemies if you can go for a kill even if it wastes damage. Don't delay a stun against an enemy you can't kill because your high damage character is who's active. You'll never be sure that you get another action before the enemy does unless they've already acted this round. Don't use a position changing attack to wound an enemy for low damage if you aren't guaranteed a follow-up this round. ADDED: Unless the rest of your party doesn't care about changing the position.

Plan for the worst, so that when the average result occurs you win handily.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Even if they want to keep initiative secret, sometimes I just want to know which enemy already went, especially if it's like 4 dogs that charge and shuffle around, so I know who to focus on if I want to prevent more rabies chances

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheBlandName posted:

Always plan for the worst possible initiative order. Don't weaken enemies if you can go for a kill even if it wastes damage. Don't delay a stun against an enemy you can't kill because your high damage character is who's active. You'll never be sure that you get another action before the enemy does unless they've already acted this round. Don't use a position changing attack to wound an enemy for low damage if you aren't guaranteed a follow-up this round. ADDED: Unless the rest of your party doesn't care about changing the position.

Plan for the worst, so that when the average result occurs you win handily.

Another benefit of the Jester's song buff is that once you have a few rounds of it in play you can generally rely on all your guys going first each turn.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

We were just discussing recently how some trinkets seem pretty bad, and how we're not sure if negative traits are applied if you're at 0 for a certain stat. It seems like the way to game things, I gave a trinket with -dodge to my leper who has like no dodge anyways. But maybe that secretly makes it go negative?

Putting -dodge trinkets on Vestals/Lepers may be a good strategy at level 0, but once you upgrade their armor, they start getting dodge. So I'm still not sure that it's worth it. Maybe it's fine for the Leper if you're ALWAYS using his +protection skill which drastically reduces the damage he takes so it doesn't matter if he gets hit, but using that ability feels like a waste of a turn more often than not since I could instead use it to kill an enemy with the Leper's high damage and there's no guarantee the Leper is even going to be targeted.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Does the stress level of your heroes when they finish a dungeon effect their chances of getting a positive/negative trait on leveling up?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Viridiant posted:

Does the stress level of your heroes when they finish a dungeon effect their chances of getting a positive/negative trait on leveling up?

I think it does effect chance of getting a positive or negative trait from the little mask at dungeon end, yeah.

If you don't want to risk it, can you exit without clicking the mask, and get neither?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game is cool. I'm really bad at it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dackel posted:

Even if they want to keep initiative secret, sometimes I just want to know which enemy already went, especially if it's like 4 dogs that charge and shuffle around, so I know who to focus on if I want to prevent more rabies chances

Yeah, I'm fine not seeing a full turn order but it really should indicate which characters have already acted on that turn.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I think it does effect chance of getting a positive or negative trait from the little mask at dungeon end, yeah.

If you don't want to risk it, can you exit without clicking the mask, and get neither?

Yes, I think if you don't click it you get nothing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Two highwaymen rotating Point Blank Shot in the first two positions makes this game too easy. Give one of them a speed trinket and make sure he's always at the front of your party before combat so that he goes before the other one. Point Blank Shot does a ton of damage and moves you back one position, so this is kind of like the Crusader Holy Lance party except it does way more damage because Point Blank Shot has a 50% damage bonus. My two Highwaymen are doing 11-35 damage per turn each. It's the hardest hitting attack in the game and the only downside is that it can only hit the front-row enemy, meaning you'd have to switch them to their dashing attack instead for bosses (which is still a great attack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I'm pretty sure I tried not clicking the mask on my already severely mentally ill Crusader on my first run and wound up with another quirk anyway.