Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well Schwarzenegger does pretty much look like Frankenstein at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Good god this sounds exactly like the kind of movie I never want to watch.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Sabotage really is a miserable piece of poo poo

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I hope to god they're reviewing Gattaca next week. That movie's loving terrible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Infamous Sphere posted:

I hope to god they're reviewing Gattaca next week. That movie's loving terrible.

You are wrong about this.

You are a wrong person.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
A buddy and me watched Sabotage because it was on Netflix and we were high as poo poo and boy, what an ugly, nasty trashbag that movie is. But gently caress me, Schwarzdog still has that weird charisma, even old and in that garbage.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You are wrong about this.

You are a wrong person.

I will agree that there aren't many people who hold that opinion, but for me it's on my list of films that I saw that I hated the most. I think it stung particularly because everyone else thought it was genius. But come on - the upside down yellow sex scene, Jude Law's horrible slipping yoyo accent, the complete lack of charisma of Ethan Hawke, the stupid premise that anyone should be able to be an astronaut even though Vincent's health problems would have disqualified him from being an astronaut now, let alone in the oh-so-unfair future, the fact that there were apparently only two career options - Astronaut, and Cleaner, so Vincent couldn't just be a lawyer or something, and the fact that Jude Law had to randomly incinerate himself in his shower furnace? Just heinous.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I like Gattaca. But I can see thinking it's boring. That doesn't really make for the best podcast material though. Have they done Reality Bites yet? I can't remember which podcast did that one. If they haven't, that. If they have? I don't know, maybe Daybreakers?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's been forever since I watched Gattaca, but the heart problem really messed with the message as I remember. A non-engineered guy overcoming all the odds and proving that societies limitations were bullshit, except for the part where he dies of a massive coronary in space and ruins the mission because he really was genetically inferior. It's a decent Twilight Zone type story, but the movie seemed convinced that it was a triumph.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

The Duke posted:

Sabotage really is a miserable piece of poo poo

It's miserable and sleazy and a lot of fun because of it. I'm under no impression that it's a conventionally 'good' film, but it seems to aim for a particular tone and does it well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

Eric has the deepest voice, Steve is the most nasal. I feel like they're both fairly distinct. Andrew and Chris both have generic white voices but Andrew is the host and talks the most so you can catch on to him quickly.

By the time you get to know their personalities well enough to actually form opinions you'll probably figure the voices out. I doubt people would comment as much if all 4 were in every episode but everyone seems to have a favorite that sometimes isn't in an episode so that makes them grumpy. I don't really have anything against Chris, he's more articulate and even funnier than many other podcasters I've listened to, it's just that I absolutely adore Steve and Eric and hate when one is missing.

Whose the dude who masturbates to his own impressions

We get it, you do a pretty good Matthew Broderick

ed: Who is

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 28, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ElGroucho posted:

Whose the dude who masturbates to his own impressions

We get it, you do a pretty good Matthew Broderick

If I did a Matthew Broderick that good, I'd probably beat off to it as well.

The above will probably go on goons.txt at some point.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
As much as I want it to be Gattaca, it's probably more likely to be something like Reality Bites, or...more likely...Daybreakers. Which...after all these dark, gross demon movies, just seems like an easy (and boring) pick.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I would say that Reality Bites is too good to do, but maybe I'm not remembering Reality Bites well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drunkboxer posted:

I would say that Reality Bites is too good to do, but maybe I'm not remembering Reality Bites well.

I'd say you're probably not. It's interesting to watch from a, "That's how we were planning on making movies in the 90's?!" point of view, but that's about it. I think it's borderline unwatchable now.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say you're probably not. It's interesting to watch from a, "That's how we were planning on making movies in the 90's?!" point of view, but that's about it. I think it's borderline unwatchable now.

The first thing I thought when I heard the clue was "PLEASE let this be Reality Bites". Freshman-in-college me loved this movie when it came out. 2014 me got a wicked case of douche chills for 2 hours when it was on HBO this past December. It's not borderline unwatchable - it's like the 90's had sex with the 90's and then threw up more 90's cliches on the baby. They would have an absolute field day with this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's not Daybreakers, WHM has a ten year rule outside of Listener Request Month and Worst of.

e: You can find out what movie it is if you know how. I've never even heard of this thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

It's not Daybreakers, WHM has a ten year rule outside of Listener Request Month and Worst of.

e: You can find out what movie it is if you know how. I've never even heard of this thing.

Ah, Taking Lives. I remember trailers, but never saw it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Never heard of it either. BTW, Jupin only just updated the Letterboxd - I checked yesterday and it only had up to Winters' Tale, so the method of finding out beforehand only works as much as he updates the page.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Infamous Sphere posted:

Never heard of it either. BTW, Jupin only just updated the Letterboxd - I checked yesterday and it only had up to Winters' Tale, so the method of finding out beforehand only works as much as he updates the page.

Yeah, it's not consistent. I've seen it be a month behind and I've seen it be two weeks of spoilers but most of the time I'd say he gives away the next episode on Friday/Saturday.

Stoked for this movie I never heard of because I like the Copycat episode.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I haven't listened to a lot of WHM, but Sabotage may be my favorite episode so far. If I had a dime for every time they used the word "scuzzy".

Is Taking Lives the movie where Angelina Jolie fakes being pregnant to catch a serial killer or something?

Edit: I am honestly giddy to hear June's theories on Zardoz.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 31, 2015

irishjoo
Jul 20, 2004

Step 1-Curl and Drag
Step 2-Attempt to Shoot
Step 3-Get Soft Penalty
Step 4-Score just enough to make people forget about Steps 1-3
The saga of Eric Movies in the latest We Hate Movies mailbag is really great. I have the app but I think they also put it on band camp.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

irishjoo posted:

The saga of Eric Movies in the latest We Hate Movies mailbag is really great. I have the app but I think they also put it on band camp.

Looks like it's just in the normal feed, too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy Christ, the tangent about the mail-in art school thing in the latest WHM episode had me dying. DYING.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The WHM guys feel the same way I do about GATTACA and Reality Bites. "Pretty good I guess," and "Don't really remember and scared to revisit it"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I tried to rewatch it recently and made it to the point where Ethan Hawke reacts to the big fight between him, Winona Ryder and Ben Stiller in a bar by going up on stage and singing a really bad Violent Femmes cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iX2jtbjyuw

I really hope next week isn't just gonna be another Tiptoes episode.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think Tiptoes is endlessly fascinating.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Tiptoes was my first thought, but her role may not be major enough to consider. Maybe it's Stigmata or Goodbye Lover?

Also, I can't wait to see Tomb Raider: Cradle of Filth.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy Christ, the tangent about the mail-in art school thing in the latest WHM episode had me dying. DYING.

Was their "mail in art school guy" voice based on a real art school guy whose commercials run in New York or something or was it something they just totally came up with out of the blue? It seemed oddly specific.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bbf2 posted:

Was their "mail in art school guy" voice based on a real art school guy whose commercials run in New York or something or was it something they just totally came up with out of the blue? It seemed oddly specific.

You've never seen commercials for an art school where an old man asks people to send in drawings of a turtle head? It's been some years now, but I used to see them all the time, both in MA and FL.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bbf2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2nu4a1LyI

They ran nationwide. The school itself has been around for generations, I remember my Dad saying he sent something in when he was a little kid.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

thrawn527 posted:

You've never seen commercials for an art school where an old man asks people to send in drawings of a turtle head? It's been some years now, but I used to see them all the time, both in MA and FL.

Commercials like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2nu4a1LyI&t=28s

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
No, I've never seen those before. That's hilarious, I need to re-listen to that part of the podcast again.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

bbf2 posted:

They were on Adult Swim A LOT in the mid-to-late '00s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2nu4a1LyI

They ran nationwide. The school itself has been around for generations, I remember my Dad saying he sent something in when he was a little kid.

The ads used to be on things like matchbook covers. It's a long running scam.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Apparently "famous artists school" is a real thing, that Charles Schultz went to (and was founded by Norman Rockwell among others) but it sounds different from the Art Instruction School. I just think the whole idea of trying to do an art class by correspondence is ludicrous. It's hardly better than just teaching yourself and/or getting one of those "How to draw cartoons!" books.
But yes, being non-American I'd never heard of the ads, but I cracked up when listening to that bit. This episode really didn't disappoint.

I'm also beginning to realise that in the really terrible movies WHM keep reviewing, male/male aggression or friendliness alike both seem to come across as the characters wanting to gently caress each other. It also comes up occasionally in the odd Alcohollywood episode when they review something kind of crap.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Looks like the actor lineup for Oscars month is: Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, Reese Witherspoon, Michael Keaton.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Looks like the actor lineup for Oscars month is: Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, Reese Witherspoon, Michael Keaton.

No idea on Arquette, but for Witherspoon, maybe Fear? They already did This Means War. Just Like Heaven was pretty awful, too. The Legally Blonde movies seem like too easy of targets.

For Michael Keaton, there are a few more options. Herbie: Fully Loaded, Desperate Measures (been a long time since I've seen this, but I remember it being pretty ridiculous), Multiplicity (I like it, but it is extremely mockable), and The Dream Team (which I think they may have "Stay Tuned" once) all come to mind. Though there are a ton of his movies I've never seen.

Never mind guessing, next three are Stigmata, Just Like Heaven, and White Noise. Guess I got one right.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 5, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Oh god, I think Just Like Heaven is the only WHM pick I've actually seen. (Oh wait, I've seen Mrs Doubtfire. I'm amazed I've managed to only see 2 WHM films in my life so far.) The thing is, I don't remember it being that bad. I mean it was lame, but it didn't stick out as that much worse than any other romcom. Looking forward for WHM to refresh my memory for the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Witherspoon pick is one they said was a stay tuned previously, so...