Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'm pretty sure "eccentric billionaire" is on everyone's list of failed dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

I'm pretty sure "eccentric billionaire" is on everyone's list of failed dreams.
I'm halfway there... :downs:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

You have to be filthy, stinking, rich. Two out of three won't cut it!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So how often are you stuck in the middle of the woods and monsters/slender/methheads attack you?

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006

ijustam posted:

So how often are you stuck in the middle of the woods and monsters/slender/methheads attack you?

Last summer two guys cleaning a passenger train in one of our yards got beat up by a couple of tweakers/drunks, but that was in the middle of a city.

On some of the remote north lines I've heard they provide you with a satellite phone and allow you to carry a gun because bears, but I can't confirm.

But really the engines are pretty much bullet proof, and lock from the inside so unless you're going for a walk there's no worry.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Skeeber posted:

Last summer two guys cleaning a passenger train in one of our yards got beat up by a couple of tweakers/drunks, but that was in the middle of a city.

On some of the remote north lines I've heard they provide you with a satellite phone and allow you to carry a gun because bears, but I can't confirm.

But really the engines are pretty much bullet proof, and lock from the inside so unless you're going for a walk there's no worry.

A CSX crew got robbed/killed in Louisiana a few years ago. Containers on trains get robbed regularly in Chicago and New Jersey(and probably everywhere).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I was told by a friend that worked in the Oakland yard that he carried an old wallet with 5 bucks, an expired license, and an expired credit card in it.

If someone says, "hand over the wallet or I will shoot and kill you". You better not tell them that you left your wallet in the locker so that you couldn't be robbed.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 25, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is a really good idea. They forgot to take my old license from me at the RMV when I got it renewed last, so I use that one at places where they hold your license till you return something just in case I turn into a scatterbrained idiot and return the toolcart/hoist/whatever but forget to get my license back. I'll have to add my old debit card and a couple bucks to the collection...

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I saw this weird trainset parked on a siding between Kansas City Union Station and the parking lot of a restaurant I ate at on Friday night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2-sLRbJIA (not my video obviously)
It's a flat car with a cab mounted on it, another flatcar with the body of a excavator on it, some more flat cars, and an engine that looks like something that belongs in a Trenitalia livery. I realize it's some sort of maintenance vehicle. What kind of locomotive is that? Did they special make it for that vehicle or is it some sort of European import? I've never seen anything like it in the US before.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A lot of Maintenance-Of-Way vehicles are special built for one specific purpose, can cost up to seven figures, but will do a month's worth of track work in a day. (given proper track time) That engine you see could have come off the shelf from anywhere, most likely re-built from the ground up with brand-new guts.

I honestly don't know anything about that contractor's equipment, but this rail inspection car was built on a chassis dating back to 1915.. http://youtu.be/kqEnWOgcUr0

The control cabs and crew's quarters on the interior looked like they'd been built by a highschool's shop class.. but ugly gets the job done just as well.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 26, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

NoWake posted:

ugly gets the job done just as well.
Yet they still thought they'd need to write "Do not hump" on it, just in case :downs:

The CargoSprinter is a German freight diesel multiple unit train. It sounds like a silly idea and it was never very successful. But the design was used as a base to build various maintenace-of-way vehicles with.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bennyfactor posted:

I saw this weird trainset parked on a siding between Kansas City Union Station and the parking lot of a restaurant I ate at on Friday night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2-sLRbJIA (not my video obviously)
It's a flat car with a cab mounted on it, another flatcar with the body of a excavator on it, some more flat cars, and an engine that looks like something that belongs in a Trenitalia livery. I realize it's some sort of maintenance vehicle. What kind of locomotive is that? Did they special make it for that vehicle or is it some sort of European import? I've never seen anything like it in the US before.

That is a material distribution machine.

Jus a bit of background. Herzog is a company that assists several railroads with material distribution for track maintenance. For example Herzog uses entire trains of computer controlled and GPS verified ballast (track gravel) dump cars. It can dump ballast at speed that are just low enough for the ballast to not fly all over but faster than any other method.

We haul those trains for them when they are running over our district. He tells us what speed and the ballast just dumps. Totally misses all switches, crossings and wayside scanners/detector equipment with precision.

The materials distribution train in the video is likely used for dropping bundles of ties, placement next to the tracks of single cement ties, buckets of spikes, pallets of tie plates, or containers of other fasteners used on cement ties.

Other contractors use similar getups that employ a special highrailing semi, regular on fashioned gondola cars, and a special backhoe that climbs all over the cars, and from car to car.

like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SgPhqi6Pg

They also use it to pick up used materials using a clamp to pick up ties and cut up rail and a magnet for piles of smaller metal parts like spikes, plates and fasteners.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 27, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B4Ctom1 posted:

I was told by a friend that worked in the Oakland yard that he carried an old wallet with 5 bucks, an expired license, and an expired credit card in it.

If someone says, "hand over the wallet or I will shoot and kill you". You better not tell them that you left your wallet in the locker so that you couldn't be robbed.

I did that all the time in high-pickpocket areas overseas.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Metro-North train hits a Jeep and burns:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-metro-north-train-car-collision-fire/story?id=28704215

Jesus.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ABC news posted:

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the gates came down on top of the SUV at the crossing, which was stopped on the tracks. The driver got out to look at the rear of the car, then she got back in and drove forward and was struck.

:stonk:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That was my exact reaction too. It should be common sense that when your car is stuck on the tracks you should just get the hell out of there.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

That is absolutely awful and scary. I used to commute to work via NJ Transit and my rail line has a number of level crossings. The thought of a commuter train catching on fire after a crash is terrifying even though NJ Transit and Metro-North use different rolling stock and configurations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

How in the world does a Cherokee even get stuck on a level crossing? Are the crossings in other parts of the country completely different than the crossings here in the Phoenix area? I've never seen a crossing here that even a lowered Civic could get stuck on, let alone an SUV.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
From the videos I've seen of cars stuck in crossings, people treat the gates as impenetrable barriers and just throw their hands in the air. There was one I saw where a lady stopped to lift it over her car before she drove through, likely what this person was attempting to do in this case.

e: the second hit for 'car stuck on crossing' and it's a different one than I'd seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6urtS9Oxc&t=20s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 4, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
You guys get a new speed limit or something?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Ahahahahaha oh my god. "Can't risk scratching my paint and ramming the crossing guard out of the way!" /proceeds to get creamed by train

Amazing.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 4, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

How in the world does a Cherokee even get stuck on a level crossing? Are the crossings in other parts of the country completely different than the crossings here in the Phoenix area? I've never seen a crossing here that even a lowered Civic could get stuck on, let alone an SUV.

"Stuck" meaning the car is trapped between the two barrier gates.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...468b489c821c187

That's the crossing.

Nothing really special, it looks like the barrier hit her car, she heard a noise, parked it on the train tracks, and couldn't get clear after she realized what happened.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Don't the gates go up if they run into pretty much any resistance?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

ijustam posted:

Don't the gates go up if they run into pretty much any resistance?

You might be thinking of a garage door, or a gate at a toll booth or a parking lot. I can't imagine a railroad crossing's failure mode being anything other than "gate is down, crossing is closed until further notice". Having the gates go back up after hitting something wouldn't stop the approaching train, even if it did trip a signal. In addition, many drivers will treat a gate going up as a green light regardless of what the bells and lights are doing, and it's likely the next driver in line would set themselves right on the crossing too.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

NoWake posted:

You might be thinking of a garage door, or a gate at a toll booth or a parking lot. I can't imagine a railroad crossing's failure mode being anything other than "gate is down, crossing is closed until further notice". Having the gates go back up after hitting something wouldn't stop the approaching train, even if it did trip a signal. In addition, many drivers will treat a gate going up as a green light regardless of what the bells and lights are doing, and it's likely the next driver in line would set themselves right on the crossing too.

This right here. Our gates certainly don't care what they hit , they are going down. Within 3 days of us putting our new gates in, we karate chopped a car. That'll learn em.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NoWake posted:

From the videos I've seen of cars stuck in crossings, people treat the gates as impenetrable barriers and just throw their hands in the air. There was one I saw where a lady stopped to lift it over her car before she drove through, likely what this person was attempting to do in this case.

e: the second hit for 'car stuck on crossing' and it's a different one than I'd seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6urtS9Oxc&t=20s

:stare:

smackfu posted:

"Stuck" meaning the car is trapped between the two barrier gates.

Holy gently caress, people are so incredibly stupid it hurts my brain. :negative:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The Locator posted:

Holy gently caress, people are so incredibly stupid it hurts my brain. :negative:

People have been taught for 70 years to not question authority, and to do what authority tells them to do. The barriers are pretty much pure authority, and people believe you do NOT cross the barriers, ever.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

People have been taught for 70 years to not question authority, and to do what authority tells them to do. The barriers are pretty much pure authority, and people believe you do NOT cross the barriers, ever.

If you were dumb enough to cross the barrier keeping you off the tracks, you should still be smart enough to cross the one keeping you in front of thousands of tons of hurtling steel if you have even 2 brain cells that fire once in a while. But, apparently not I guess.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
People turn stupid around trains. Its pretty amazing.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A trucker got hit on my terminal at a crossing 2 years ago(no injuries, rolled the truck/container). In the course of filling out the report I asked the driver "Did you see the train?". He responded "Yea, but I see trains all the time."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SybilVimes posted:

People have also been taught that barriers coming down means a train is coming and to get the gently caress out of the way. Anyone that thinks they shouldnt cross a barrier while in a train track is being stupid beyond reason. Anyone with half a functioning brain cell would do one of two things - a, abandon car and run for it or b, engage first gear and floor it, smash the barrier. They are designed to allow a trapped car to break through.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
You'd think they'd be built with spring-loaded hinges so it could pivot away from the tracks when pushed.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah but at the same time, I pass a level crossing that is regularly parked on in rush hour traffic. Apparently waiting to cross the tracks until you have room to stop on the other side is not the common sense approach? I see people pull onto the tracks and stop regularly.

I suppose being forced to watch the Clarkson PSA hundreds of times by my son imprinted me (ITS TOAST), but I get uncomfortable even being in the first couple cars when the arm comes down.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They do move to a point, but not much, but id rather scratch the paint on my car vs getting hit by a train.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hmmm. Maaco or a brand new car. Tough choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vaporware posted:

Yeah but at the same time, I pass a level crossing that is regularly parked on in rush hour traffic. Apparently waiting to cross the tracks until you have room to stop on the other side is not the common sense approach? I see people pull onto the tracks and stop regularly.

I suppose being forced to watch the Clarkson PSA hundreds of times by my son imprinted me (ITS TOAST), but I get uncomfortable even being in the first couple cars when the arm comes down.

Waiting on train tracks is literally evidence said driver is not intelligent enough to drive and should have driving privileges revoked immediately.

Also, is it not illegal anyway? Sounds like easy citations for a cop to set up to do.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
There's a crossing near me that people get "stuck" on every single time I drive through there at rush hour because they didn't wait for the far side to clear. This is a crossing where Amtrak blows by at what looks like about 60 mph. I concluded that there must be different speed restrictions for rush hour because otherwise there'd be a fatality every other day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why don't they look, Ralph? Tell me... why don't they look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh9zM8oQhpY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

It isn't even limited to cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9RrPUu6j0