Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Same story as the telegraph one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

A surprising amount of effort for a 'A Thing Happened' cartoon. I'm fairly sure that's meant to be SamCam and Dave at the door there, which means Mac has by far the kindest Cameron caricature, of course.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kegluneq posted:

A surprising amount of effort for a 'A Thing Happened' cartoon. I'm fairly sure that's meant to be SamCam and Dave at the door there, which means Mac has by far the kindest Cameron caricature, of course.

Of course he does. Unflattering caricatures are only for foreigns and the poors and the gays and people who looked at Mac funny once on the street. You know, the real menaces to society.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The other thing that happened its referencing is that SamCam invited a group of parents from a charity for disabled children round for breakfast, which was nice because it let David talk about how much he loved Ivan and the NHS and ignore questions about how much of a oval office he is.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

100 days until the general election.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Having previously asked for the Greens to be added to the proposed debates, Cameron now seeks to add the Northern Ireland-based Democratic Unionist Party.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How the hell are any of these people supposed to win, they are all terrible politicians with parties that stand for nothing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Inherited voting patterns, the same as every other election.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

An entrenched two-party system which produces the above

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Hey, there are new ideas sometimes, like when some people rallied behind an underdog party that vocally promised to change the- Oh wait that was the Lib Dems, wasn't it. Or when the media decided to focus all their reporting on an underdog party with no MPs that were promising to change the- Oh that was UKIP, wasn't it. Hmm. Well. Surely someone worthwhile will get some attention, somehow, right? What about that guy who spoke a lot about how awful the system was and told everyone that we needed to change the- Oh wait that was Russel Brand.

Well. Hmm.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm more directing it at the leaders than the parties, though when compared either with their European OR their anglosphere compatriots the big 2 are political oatmeal. Tasteless mush with no hard bits. Labor sat by and did nothing for years, leaving Britain stagnant at best, how can they possibly be chosen? The majority of the British population just are not conservatives and do not agree with conservative ideals, how can the Conservatives win?

And then if you think thats bad there are the other parties....

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

It must be strange to live in a society where the only public figure making any sense is Russell Brand.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It must be strange to live in a society where the only public figure making any sense is Russell Brand.
Did he ever actually say anything worthwhile?

I would actually like to know as I can't listen to the man talk for more than half a minute.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Did he ever actually say anything worthwhile?

I would actually like to know as I can't listen to the man talk for more than half a minute.

He would occasionally make a decent point and then immediately follow it up with something else that made no sense whatsoever. Which is still a better batting average than David Cameron, but I doubt Brand's going to lead any revolutions any time soon.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

He would occasionally make a decent point and then immediately follow it up with something else that made no sense whatsoever. Which is still a better batting average than David Cameron, but I doubt Brand's going to lead any revolutions any time soon.

I remember back during the London riots Brand's was possibly the most insightful and cogent commentary on it.

EDIT: Here's one, I remember there being another one which I'll post if I find it.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug/11/london-riots-davidcameron

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 28, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm more directing it at the leaders than the parties, though when compared either with their European OR their anglosphere compatriots the big 2 are political oatmeal. Tasteless mush with no hard bits. Labor sat by and did nothing for years, leaving Britain stagnant at best, how can they possibly be chosen? The majority of the British population just are not conservatives and do not agree with conservative ideals, how can the Conservatives win?

And then if you think thats bad there are the other parties....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8654338.stm

Have a click through there, take note of the vote share on the right and what it translates to in terms of seats on the left. Look at how it generally correlates for the Tories and Labour - and then look at the Lib Dems, the biggest challenger to those two parties in terms of votes.

The simple fact is the Tories and Labour basically have government locked up between them, and they just trade power back and forth, so they don't need to do anything. They're both out to appeal to the centre ground (especially Labour since Blair), which means trying to win over swing seats where the balance of power is decided. People know that even if they want to vote for another party, it's effectively pissing in the wind with the sheer amount of electoral stacking in the system.

Case in point - the Lib Dems had great success in 2010, including huge exposure and momentum in the media, the other leaders falling over themselves to latch onto this and point out how "I agree with Nick" at every turn. They got their highest vote share in decades, gained 1% over the previous election... but lost 8% of their seats. The Tories gained 4% vote share, and increased their seats by... 55%. Still not enough for a majority, so the Lib Dems decided to prop them up.

You could make an argument that Lib Dem voters are generally left-wing, and a Lib-Lab coalition (representing 52% of the vote) would better reflect the majority than propping up a right-wing government that got just over a third of the vote, but Lib-Lab didn't have enough seats to form a majority either. The idea of a true coalition was horrifying and scary though, so putting the Tories in power was chosen as the safe and politically expedient option. The Libs were given a voting reform referendum as a carrot (Labour were offering a better option), and that was brutally torpedoed in due course. Business as usual

british_'democracy'.txt

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Apple's record profits - Apple has smashed into the record book by reporting the largest quarterly profit in corporate history"

Telegraph:

Greece will not default - PM Tsipras

Independent:

NHS guidelines for 'major incidents' spark political row

Yesterday's Mail:

Election debates again; Wolf Hall: the truth behind Damian Lewis' tiny codpiece After Holbein.

Yesterday's Mail:

'Got the drill? ONE we're slashing your benefits. TWO so go and get a job, you lazy gits, and THREE we do hope we can count on your support'
:ohdear: The Poors!!!!! :supaburn:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Mail:

'Got the drill? ONE we're slashing your benefits. TWO so go and get a job, you lazy gits, and THREE we do hope we can count on your support'
:ohdear: The Poors!!!!! :supaburn:

I like how with pretty much any other artist this caption would make the cartoon sympathetic towards the working class, but Mac can't draw someone below the median income without making them grotesque and so manages to avoid making a good cartoon of any sort.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Angepain posted:

I like how with pretty much any other artist this caption would make the cartoon sympathetic towards the working class, but Mac can't draw someone below the median income without making them grotesque and so manages to avoid making a good cartoon of any sort.

No, you see, he was trying to portray them the way Conservatives perceive them. Fat-lipped minorities, overweight skinheads and single mums, and mentally ill children living together in harmony.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

baka kaba posted:

The Libs were given a voting reform referendum as a carrot (Labour were offering a better option), and that was brutally torpedoed in due course. Business as usual

Labour weren't offering anything, that was the issue. IIRC the central sticking point was that the Lib Dems demanded that Gordon Brown resign as Labour leader and Labour refused. In hindsight that was a massive mistake. Basically Labour believed that there was no way that the Lib Dems would prop up the Tories and so they felt they just had to wait. I suspect that if we hit a point this time where a deal is being talked about, it'll involved Ed and Nick resigning, and very few tears on either side will be shed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ookiimarukochan posted:

Labour weren't offering anything, that was the issue. IIRC the central sticking point was that the Lib Dems demanded that Gordon Brown resign as Labour leader and Labour refused. In hindsight that was a massive mistake. Basically Labour believed that there was no way that the Lib Dems would prop up the Tories and so they felt they just had to wait. I suspect that if we hit a point this time where a deal is being talked about, it'll involved Ed and Nick resigning, and very few tears on either side will be shed.

Got any articles on exactly what went down? Everything I heard was that Labour were touting the possibility of following the Jenkins recommendations and introducing AV+, Clegg said in interviews that he wanted to push for as much reform as he could (and Brown stepping down wasn't going to be a dealbreaker), and several high-level Labour ministers had been agitating for reform in the runup to the election. I know there was a (false) rumour that Labour had offered full AV without a referendum, but I don't remember reading anything from the negotiations themselves

Either way though, Labour had historically been somewhat receptive to voting reform, to the point where some of them campaigned for Yes in the referendum. The Tories were outright hostile to the idea, and used their power as the ruling party to do everything they could to sink it and end reform for a generation. They made a pact with the devil and lost hard, and we're all paying for it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I specifically remember Gordon Brown giving a big speech in Downing Street after the election where he essentially resigned and said he'd step aside to allow Labour to form a new coalition government, which was the sort of actually dignified thing nobody involved today would do.

So I'm pretty sure it wasn't wanting to keep Brown that prevented a Lib-Lab-Friends coalition (probably more, yes, that it'd be a horrific Italian-style coalition where every vote rests on the support of George Galloway and Caroline Lucas).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You could buy Galloway off with a saucer of milk

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ellie Foreman-Peck on Angela Merkel, Alexis Tsipras and the euro - Greece's future in the eurozone in doubt, with its new leader's vision at odds with the views of the German chancellor"

Telegraph:

Election debates: Clegg says David Cameron being ludicrous; Yellow car spoils the view for snappers

Independent:

General Election 2015: Labour's Ed Miliband 'not focusing' on doing SNP deal; In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015

Yesterday's Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Saturday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill's funeral"

Yesterday's Observer:

"A cry for help from the health service - Chris Riddell on Ed Miliband’s pledge to ‘weaponise’ the NHS"

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the row over Boots boss Stefano Pessina" Boots boss: Ed Miliband would be a 'catastrophe' for Britain; Labour launches stinging attack on Boots boss Stefano Pessina

Saturday's Telegraph:

Sunday Telegraph:

Prince Charles' household likened to Wolf Hall, biographer claims

Saturday's Independent:

Greece economy: Merkel rules out more debt relief After Goya.

Independent on Sunday:

Independent:

Friday's Times:

Greek debt, Wolf Hall.

Saturday's Times:

Blair’s links to Rwandan President Kagame must remain secret – Foreign Office

Thursday's Mail:

Ed Miliband lying across his desk with two knives in his back, labelled Milburn and Hutton, he is calling 999. Caption reads Ambulance please - but tell them not to be too quick. I'm trying to prove a point.

Friday's Mail:

Mac cartoon DM 30 01 15 about sex at 70, showing an old man in a car in a blizzard, with the caption. . . How come your car isn't covered in snow, grandad?

Brit thread bonus, Stephen Collins:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cloud Potato posted:

Brit thread bonus, Stephen Collins:

I love this.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and the war on mediocrity – Prime minister sets out plans to sack headteachers at coasting schools in what he terms an ‘all-out war on mediocrity’"

Telegraph:

Bronze sculptures 'may be by Michelangelo'; Nicky Morgan rejects claim Gove still driving education

Independent:

Times:

Kim Sears supports fiance Andy Murray in 'Explicit Content' T-shirt

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the 2015 election - As parliament passes a law allowing ‘three-parent births’, a higher than usual number of players are jockeying for position in UK politics"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Lowering tuition fees 'implausible', say vice-chancellors

Mail:

Complaints against police reach a record high

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Do all the cartoonists just refuse to believe that Salmond resigned as leader of the SNP?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's just like Putin. It doesn't matter what his title is, he's always the real power in Scotland :scotland::argh:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do all the cartoonists just refuse to believe that Salmond resigned as leader of the SNP?

Well they had to keep using him, so they could keep using their great Salmond jokes like "haha Salmond is Scottish".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's weird to see posters think that Salmond has what, retired from politics? And is not talking loudly about being a keystone in the next (coalition) government.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
They constantly show him along with Ed and Dave as if he's still the party leader and orchestrating the SNP campaigns and gains in Scotland. It's just more of the poor cartooning that invariably pops up whenever Scotland is concerned. Even your lefty Londoners have a hard time hiding the sweaty sock bigotry. It's not like Nicola Sturgeon is hard to caricature as well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

He's just the Scottish Bogeyman now, with his kilt and bare arse. The sinister spectre of Scottish politics looming from the north :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
KING OF DA NORF!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

It's not like Nicola Sturgeon is hard to caricature as well.

But she isn't standing at the next general election, so it makes much more sense to use Salmond to represent "the SNP at Westminster", which is what all the cartoons are driving at. marktheando's point is pretty valid as well though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Chilcot report delays - Lord Chilcot, the head of the official inquiry into the Iraq war, has rejected calls to set a timetable for publication"

Independent:

Ed Miliband will bankrupt Britain, bosses warn: Captains of industry queued up to attack Labour's economic policy

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:

Mail:

Harper Lee to publish Mockingbird 'sequel'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wow. This whole lovely "three parent" angle the news has been running with is bad enough, but Mac's outdone himself there.

Which dumbass reminded you to include him again? sorry!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CHILCOT

And yet the novel lacks the author's name.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

CHILCOT

And yet the novel lacks the author's name.

Who's the old guy supposed to be I don't think the cartoonist has stressed it enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looks like a pretty big Chilcot fan whoever it is

• Locked thread