Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

Ken Block checked to make sure the focus RS works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-mhyUAaqE

It does.

Why didn't they use this stuff for the promo video.

bootyhole pucker @ 1:06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The big thing that kills enthusiast cars, in my opinion, is either the inability or unwillingness of enthusiasts to put their money where their mouth is. I always hear a lot of "Great car, can't wait to buy one used in three years!" which is fine, but in order to have any used stock someone has to buy the loving thing in an enthusiast-oriented trim new.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The big thing that kills enthusiast cars, in my opinion, is either the inability or unwillingness of enthusiasts to put their money where their mouth is. I always hear a lot of "Great car, can't wait to buy one used in three years!" which is fine, but in order to have any used stock someone has to buy the loving thing in an enthusiast-oriented trim new.
Which just cycles back around to they are too expensive new.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would if I could.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The real problem is nobody is being paid enough to afford these cars new. The price is fair relative to what you get.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh dear god yes. Go over to Jalop, everyone wants a S4/S6 wagon, but no one wants to pay for one. They sure do want to buy one in 5 years after it's depreciated though.

There's nothing wrong with that, but enthusiast seem to forget that someone has to buy the drat things new, and there's a reason they don't bring an S6 wagon to the US. The number of people that want to pay the US price for a S6 wagon brand new is basically no one.

Kraftwerk posted:

The real problem is nobody is being paid enough to afford these cars new. The price is fair relative to what you get.

I don't think this is it. Your average loudmouth internet auto enthusiast is probably someone in their early 20's who can't afford these cars. There are a lot of people out there that have no problem spending a lot of money on cars (see 65K trucks flying off the lot here in Texas), but as price tags go up, options expand. There's no way I could convince my wife to let us buy a Focus RS, I could easily sell her on a Caddy ATS though. When you're getting ready to spend 40K on a car, you have a whole lot of options available to you.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

skipdogg posted:

Oh dear god yes. Go over to Jalop, everyone wants a S4/S6 wagon, but no one wants to pay for one. They sure do want to buy one in 5 years after it's depreciated though.

There's nothing wrong with that, but enthusiast seem to forget that someone has to buy the drat things new, and there's a reason they don't bring an S6 wagon to the US. The number of people that want to pay the US price for a S6 wagon brand new is basically no one.

Which also fucks over the person who DOES want a new one. A sea of CUVs and even performance ones, no sporty wagon at all.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I also remember being 16 and really not understanding why more people in their 30s didn't buy a 240sx/Civic and mod it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

(see 65K trucks flying off the lot here in Texas)

Combination of oil money and 7+ year loans. Seriously. I make pretty good money(top 10-15% of households/top 3% of single income earners) and could afford something that expensive but could never bring myself to do it. I'm not buying a car worth half of my yearly income. $35-40k is my personal sweet spot. People who make less than me spending that much money on a car are idiots.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

Well, nobody young anyway. Plenty of older dudes with money like fast cars which is why high end sports and gt cars or retro muscle cars sell well while bare bones enthusiast special cars don't.

A lot of the internet whining is also probably sour grapes because theyre poor teens / twenty somethings

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 4, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

Which also fucks over the person who DOES want a new one. A sea of CUVs and even performance ones, no sporty wagon at all.

Well if wagons were mainstream cars then the volume would pay for additional sporty derivatives. But then again modern CUVs basically are wagons if you allow for ride height and modern car fatification. It's not like there was ever a golden age of sports wagons in the us - when they were popluar they were pretty much all multiton landbarges until their death at the hands of minivans and SUVs

For instance:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 4, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fknlo posted:

Combination of oil money and 7+ year loans. Seriously. I make pretty good money(top 10-15% of households/top 3% of single income earners) and could afford something that expensive but could never bring myself to do it. I'm not buying a car worth half of my yearly income. $35-40k is my personal sweet spot. People who make less than me spending that much money on a car are idiots.

Yeah the loans are insane, my wife works at a credit union that does a massive amount of vehicle loans here in Texas, and you wouldn't believe some of these loans. 70K+ loans for 84 months. Insanity.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skipdogg posted:

Yeah the loans are insane, my wife works at a credit union that does a massive amount of vehicle loans here in Texas, and you wouldn't believe some of these loans. 70K+ loans for 84 months. Insanity.

See also: the area surrounding any military base.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The Mercedes CLA is an abomination unto the lord.

The "shooting brake" CLA though, mmmmmh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

Which just cycles back around to they are too expensive new.

Well, okay, but how much room is there realistically to make a car more expensive, especially something built on a non-modular platform?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 4, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spatule posted:

Still an abomination.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Empty quoting this forever. That thing looks like fun!

I said I'd never buy another VAG product but ended up in a Golf TDI when i was looking a couple years ago. Hopefully I don't run into the HPFP problem even though they've been covering the repair out of warranty. Can't even imagine how bad they'd get publicly flogged if they didn't cover an all too common $8k repair.

8k to replace the HPFP?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

8k to replace the HPFP?

When the HPFP goes you basically have to replace the entire fuel system.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Alternately, if they are giving you a seven year loan at 0%, keep your cash and make interest on it.

I took a 0% 7yr loan on my Santa Fe. Took some of the discount on the vehicle out of the deal but if I make even 2% on the cash I held back I'm ahead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taco Box posted:

Having just gone from a 2012 focus to a 2008 miata...I miss sync. I miss sync a whole loving lot. I wish I'd gotten the focus in a manual because I'd still have it. That was a drat useful car and the miata is cold as gently caress in winter. Having to run a cable from the back of the stereo through the center console and into the cupholders just so I can hear my ipod was enough. But now I've got to manage the thing while shifting and looking down and to my right into the cupholder to use it. same for the phone. Oh yeah, and I have to set my phone next to the gearshift to use pandora through the factory radio. I won't be upgrading the headunit because I like having an intact convertible top; yes, people still steal radios. I miss being able to click a butan and say 'play song gay bar' and have it play my song. I'm more distracted trying to do poo poo the old fashioned way than just using the really well implemented voice commands in sync.

A simple Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the factory stereo's AUX port and a modern phone will solve almost all of that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had a loaner Corvette this morning while waiting on my Volt to be serviced. It was their demo car, the 3rd tier package with 8 speed auto. Didn't have the suspension package.

Ungh, I want badly. It's a beast when you want it to be, but like a relaxed athlete when you don't.

Also impressed with how easy their infotainment was to use and navigate, especially compared to the one in my car.

I could buy 2 Volts for the sticker price :(

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uggggghhhhh Ford why do you have to keep knocking it out of the park. I've been longing for an AWD Focus ever since the original Focus model was shown to have space in the underbody for a driveshaft, which allowed some crazy guys to drop in the Cobra (I think Terminator?) motor and have a supercharged V8 RWD Focus (which was also awesome, but aside from the point). It never happened during that generation, but now that it IS happening, and turbo'd to boot...

I was 100% sure the next car I was going to buy was going to be a 2015+ Mustang GT. Now, with the RS, I'm not sure. Yes, I'd cross shop those vehicles despite being completely dissimilar...but they'll probably be at around the same price point and both have something very different and very awesome to offer.

I guess that's what test drives are for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spatule posted:

You know what the problem is with this car? It's not an AMG E63.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

When the HPFP goes you basically have to replace the entire fuel system.

I looked into it after you mentioned this and it seems like it's very uncommon and VW has a good record of repairing it outside of warranty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

I looked into it after you mentioned this and it seems like it's very uncommon and VW has a good record of repairing it outside of warranty.

It's not uncommon enough, but yeah, they've fixed pretty much all of them on their dime. Even ones caused purely by the owner. Like I said, they'd get publicly flogged for it if they didn't.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

A simple Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the factory stereo's AUX port and a modern phone will solve almost all of that.

Any recommendations would be welcome :-) I have looked on amazon but there's like a hojillion of them and picking one that's goon approved would be swell.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Spatule posted:

Why would you want a shooting break CLA when you can buy a GLA?

Oh wait....

I saw one of these on the road yesterday and almost broke my neck at the double take. It's just so drat ugly!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Taco Box posted:

Any recommendations would be welcome :-) I have looked on amazon but there's like a hojillion of them and picking one that's goon approved would be swell.

I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450...oth+adapter+car

It works fine for google now etc, it lives in the storage between the seats where there is a convenient 12v outlet and the aux in. I use the other dash 12v outlet to charge the phone when necessary, but most of the time it's the same functionality I had in previous cars with built in BT-A streaming.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Aye, it is. My personal mark is what I can afford at 36 months; to each their own I suppose.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spatule posted:

Looks too much like

but with Mercedes trim

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just weigh the interest rate vs finance length and take the longest length that doesn't incur a significant interest rate hike.

Car will get paid off early regardless. There's just no reason to tie up my cash unnecessarily.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I just weigh the interest rate vs finance length and take the longest length that doesn't incur a significant interest rate hike.

Car will get paid off early regardless. There's just no reason to tie up my cash unnecessarily.

I'm with you on that. I have 2.1% interest on my car loan currently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wrar posted:

I'm with you on that. I have 2.1% interest on my car loan currently.

Yeah, I was able to get a 1.9% on my BRZ even at 72 months. So I financed it for 72 months. I'll likely pay it off in 3 years or so, but it's nice to know if I got hit with a significant cash flow issue all of the sudden, I have some wiggle room.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
CLAs are frigging awesome looking in all forms, how are you morans so wrong

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I guess the EB Mustang and the Focus RS are going to be interesting to watch in the Aus market.

I like both and would definitely cross shop both. If the pricing was similar the RS would probably win as its way more practical.

That makes me think that it will be more expensive than the EB Mustang in Australia (we only get the EB and the GT, no V6.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Laserface posted:

So I guess the EB Mustang and the Focus RS are going to be interesting to watch in the Aus market.

I like both and would definitely cross shop both. If the pricing was similar the RS would probably win as its way more practical.

That makes me think that it will be more expensive than the EB Mustang in Australia (we only get the EB and the GT, no V6.)
FoRS will be priced at Mustang GT level.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

KillHour posted:

You know what the problem is with this car? It's not an AMG E63.

Did we all forget about the new C63? I like both the CLA and E, but the new C looks a lot better than both:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Hard to say. They are expecting the RS to be 30k gbp. The eb stang is 29k

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

which is going to make it noncompetitive on price with the WRX (43K)

Focus ST is 41K

Mustang GT would be 60K here easily.

Unless they somehow believe the ST competes with the WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ynotony posted:

Did we all forget about the new C63? I like both the CLA and E, but the new C looks a lot better than both:

Those cars are so similar looking, I'd expect them to be a model year difference - not an entirely different platform.